• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X: Teardown Comparison

hL9FyVJ.jpg

Dr Bass

The Xbox internal design is so bad compared to what Sony did with the PS5. The Xbox parts are just mashed together with a fan on top with so many of the holes blocked. If you put the Xbox sideways the big round stand just sits there looking ridiculous, not to mention blocking nearly all air intake. The PS5 has a freakin' compartment for the attachment screw and they even give you a small bit to fill the screw hole when you lay it sideways. So much attention to detail. It's just a completely different approach to system design, and sadly the Xbox XSX continues Microsoft's "legendary" design chops. I don't get how Microsoft can still churn out the kinds of products it does in every area when they have decades of seeing superior competition. They don't even seem to get why they turn out inferior products. It's maddening.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

The simplicity of the Series X is just unbelievable.

How they managed to pack everything in so tightly and effectively, while still being able to accommodate the consoles cooling system is ingenious. They truly have outdone themselves this time around. Where as Sony again went with the traditional approach just larger, lets hope it is for the best.

Weird how "gamers" care so much about size/look of consoles.

Classic "wife says what items we can buy and she doesnt understand shit about tech, but here we go!" Situation?

Both are 'big' in a way, xsex wont fit badly designed furniture because it is fat and PS5 because it is tall.

So what? User error to buy non-functional furniture.

Tv-stand that cant fit normal stuff like amplifier/console (PS5 is smaller than HT amps)? Shitty choice, cant fullfill its only purpose

Same as buying a chair which is too small go sit and then complain ;)

Unless you live like Harry Potter, both have plenty of room.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Weird how "gamers" care so much about size/look of consoles.

Classic "wife says what items we can buy and she doesnt understand shit about tech, but here we go!" Situation?

Both are 'big' in a way, xsex wont fit badly designed furniture because it is fat and PS5 because it is tall.

So what? User error to buy non-functional furniture.

Tv-stand that cant fit normal stuff like amplifier/console (PS5 is smaller than HT amps)? Shitty choice, cant fullfill its only purpose

Same as buying a chair which is too small go sit and then complain ;)

Unless you live like Harry Potter, both have plenty of room.

Also, a lot of people complaining that the Ps5 is too large when they probably live in the US which, last time I looked

*checks notes*

really fucking likes big shit.

Tickrate

You miat have missed all the videos about how hot the xbox is. Borderline burn inducing.

Maybe to people who don't know any better or just console army boys fighting their little war. But having warm air coming out of the exhaust without the fan ramping up or the system shutting down means it's operating within it's designed thermal limits.
Until proven otherwise YouTubers can clickbait you as much as they want :)
Others know better and don't take comments out of context.

The simplicity of the Series X is just unbelievable.

How they managed to pack everything in so tightly and effectively, while still being able to accommodate the consoles cooling system is ingenious. They truly have outdone themselves this time around. Where as Sony again went with the traditional approach just larger, lets hope it is for the best.

I wouldn't call their fan design or the first commercial use of liquid metal "conventional". The heatsink design is also clearly a large focus (literally). More conventional layout with some non-conventional design choices that will have a large impact on performance. From all the early hands-on it seems like the PS5 is cool and quiet, while some of the XS ones are saying it runs quite hot.

Not saying anything definitive, but I'm impressed with the PS5 design choices when it comes to performance.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Maybe to people who don't know any better or just console army boys fighting their little war. But having warm air coming out of the exhaust without the fan ramping up or the system shutting down means it's operating within it's designed thermal limits.
Until proven otherwise YouTubers can clickbait you as much as they want :)
Others know better and don't take comments out of context.
Oh yeah???
Watch gamespot video where he burns his hands with the ssd card he pulls out of the unit though it was only in stand by.
All these youtubers have the actual unit in their possesion so i trust them before some nobody like you

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm not convinced by the design of the inside of the Ps5. the hot air doesn't look like it will escape as efficiently and as quick as XSX seems like it should. Also XSX is 2-3 TF more and is smaller, also they only show the PS5 face on or from a 3/4 angle, cause its so large.

Tickrate

Oh yeah???
Watch gamespot video where he burns his hands with the ssd card he pulls out of the unit though it was only in stand by.
All these youtubers have the actual unit in their possesion so i trust them before some nobody like you

Nvme ssd's get hot, ask people with a modern PC. Even then that is hardly indicative of how the actual cooling system performs on the SOC.

You're trying hard, but seems like your bias is making you jump to conclusions. So again, until proven otherwise it's just noise and a way to get your click.

Both were very good teardowns and I left feeling like both of the consoles have their strengths. Xbox SeX in terms of how it conveyed its cooling mechanism, rather simply. Playstation 5 in terms of the thought into usability, with dust catchers and the means of adding an SSD. Also interesting seeing how Sony will deal with the heat issue, making it seem like they have really thought all of it through, though it seems a bit less obvious than the Xbox SeX. Also liked that Sony just did it in japanese with english subtitles, though seeing Richard in the Xbox one was also pretty awesome and he's the better speaker, though I feel like it doesn't matter that much.
Lookwise I think overall the Xbox SeX looks better, though not necessarily the most designed or "exciting". PS5's size is pretty big, almost ridiculously big and I'm not a big fan of the white version. Maybe it looks better in black?

I'm looking forward a few months down the line when the actual performance in the wild settles and we see if there are any issues. Also, would be interesting to see a more free teardown where we get a comparison between each of the consoles, the performance, sound, heat, etc.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The Xbox internal design is so bad compared to what Sony did with the PS5. The Xbox parts are just mashed together with a fan on top with so many of the holes blocked. If you put the Xbox sideways the big round stand just sits there looking ridiculous, not to mention blocking nearly all air intake. The PS5 has a freakin' compartment for the attachment screw and they even give you a small bit to fill the screw hole when you lay it sideways. So much attention to detail. It's just a completely different approach to system design, and sadly the Xbox XSX continues Microsoft's "legendary" design chops. I don't get how Microsoft can still churn out the kinds of products it does in every area when they have decades of seeing superior competition. They don't even seem to get why they turn out inferior products. It's maddening.
Ahh, don't worry yourself so much about it. I'm sure Microsoft these days have at least a few folk who have at least half an idea of what they should be doing with all this stuff. Some of them may have even gone to one of those big schools where they learn about computers, electrics and design and stuff.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Well that's like your opinion man.

Another way to look at it is that the PS5 is needlessly over engineered, why did they design it so it needed a fancy morphing stand in the first place? The XSX might appear to you as though the components are mashed together and thrown into the case but the way they all fit together as a single unit and then nearly slot into the case while allowing optimal airflow could be seen as an elegant well thought out holistic design. The Surface team are amazing at product design even putting Apple on the back foot with the Surface Pro over the iPad. The entire Surface product line and the previous Xbox consoles they designed beg to differ with that last part of your comment about Microsoft hardware.

How can you call the XSX crappy hardware design when it is both more powerful and smaller than the PS5?

tryDEATH

I wouldn't call their fan design or the first commercial use of liquid metal "conventional". The heatsink design is also clearly a large focus (literally). More conventional layout with some non-conventional design choices that will have a large impact on performance. From all the early hands-on it seems like the PS5 is cool and quiet, while some of the XS ones are saying it runs quite hot.

Not saying anything definitive, but I'm impressed with the PS5 design choices when it comes to performance.

Hands-On is funny word to use as literally no one has been allowed to touch it besides Sony employees, not even the Japanese YouTubers, who were in a controlled environment. The fan design is based on a blower style design compared to the Axial in the Series X. Blower style fans are louder and run hotter as well, so if anyone is going to have issues with heat it is going to be the PS5 especially if people don't vacuum their heat sinks regularly.

P.S. We also don't know how long the liquid metal will be able to stay efficient.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Nvme ssd's get hot, ask people with a modern PC. Even then that is hardly indicative of how the actual cooling system performs on the SOC.

You're trying hard, but seems like your bias is making you jump to conclusions. So again, until proven otherwise it's just noise and a way to get your click.
You been proven otherwise you are just a blind fanboy who cant handle hos xbox being criticized for a very valid reason.
Rrod is still burned into my memory and my valet.

Ps3 died on ylod.

So i listen and pay attention to this info for a very good reason.

So go and bullshit somewhere else

Tickrate

You been proven otherwise you are just a blind fanboy who cant handle hos xbox being criticized for a very valid reason.
Rrod is still burned into my memory and my valet.

Ps3 died on ylod.

So i listen and pay attention to this info for a very good reason.

So go and bullshit somewhere else

There is no need to get mad.
You're jumping to conclusions, not a very good trait to have in this day and age.
But let's agree to disagree and move on.

P.S: I have both consoles on pre-order for day 1 😘

Top Bottom