• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation acquires Haven, the new studio led by Jade Raymond

Alphagear

I remember when Sony used to only buy proven studios that had delivered great games for them......but that was before Microsoft started their spending spree....so I guess Sony aren't quite so fussy these days,lol.

The staff at Haven Studios are anything but unproven.

Same applies to Deviation Games which will probably be acquired too.

Suggest you do your research on who works there.

Last edited:

kyussman

The staff at Haven Studios are anything but unproven.

Same applies to Deviation Games which will probably be acquired too.

Suggest you do your research on who works there.
Proven staff doesn't mean much as far as I'm concernered,look at what's going on at the The Initivite right now,didn't they hire a lot of talented people.I'm just saying Sony are obviously feeling the pressure from Microsofts aquisitions.....this is a move they simply would not have made a few years ago.

The fact that Sony bought them before they even shipped their first game shows that they have a LOT of confidence in this studio and their vision for their new game.

Sony took literally forever to buy Insomniac. So they aren't the type of publisher to make knee-jerk studio purchases that are of low to limited value. They are very discerning about who and what they buy.

To me this is good news for all PS fans. This game must be very promising.

Last edited:

yurinka

The fact that Sony bought them before they even shipped their first game shows that they have a LOT of confidence in this studio and their vision for their new game.

Sony took literally forever to buy Insomniac. So they aren't the type of publisher to make knee-jerk studio purchases that are of low to limited value. They are very discerning about who and what they buy.

To me this is good news for all PS fans. This game must be very promising.
I remember when Sony used to only buy proven studios that had delivered great games for them......but that was before Microsoft started their spending spree....so I guess Sony aren't quite so fussy these days,lol.
They are more than proven. Many of them already worked together in AC, Watchdogs or Rainbow Six Siege plus in many other very successful Ubisoft games and many of them also in Motive. Some of them also have worked in places like Eidos Montreal, Rockstar or Insomniac.

You may not like these games I mentioned but they sold way over a dozen million copies per game (not only them, also almost every other AC game, WD2 etc). Which is like 2 or even 3 times of what Insomniac (before Spider-Man) or Kojima games sold.

Being a new, growing studios with no IPs the acquisition must have been pretty cheap but it's a reliable senior team with many people who worked in many very successful games, and their project seems to be promising enough if Sony decided first to make it 2nd party and now to buy them.

They announced the partnership a month after it was established. Pretty obvious it was backed by Sony from the very start
Since the start of Haven yes. But the team and the project started at Google, and many of them came from Motive and many of them came from Ubisoft (where they already worked with them) to work on Motive, Google or Haven.

So a big portion of at least the key team was together way before they created Haven, moment where their project already had started. In fact Haven pitched Sony 3 projects they had from Google, and Sony wanted the 3 but Haven decided that as of now they would start with only one of them, their current one. I assume they'll make the other ones later as they keep growing enough.

Last edited:
They are more than proven. Many of them already worked together in AC, Watchdogs or Rainbow Six Siege plus in many other very successful Ubisoft games and many of them also in Motive. Some of them also have worked in places like Eidos Montreal, Rockstar or Insomniac.

You may not like these games I mentioned but they sold way over a dozen million copies per game (not only them, also almost every other AC game, WD2 etc). Which is like 2 or even 3 times of what Insomniac (before Spider-Man) or Kojima games sold.

Being a new, growing studios with no IPs the acquisition must have been pretty cheap but it's a reliable senior team with many people who worked in many very successful games, and their project seems to be promising enough if Sony decided first to make it 2nd party and now to buy them.

Did you quote my post by mistake? As you're not disagreeing with my comment.

She wasn't the director of these games. Further proves my point tbh.
She isn't a game director, she has never directed a game and she is Haven Studio founder, not game director. You have absolutely no point.
Every time someone attributes success of Assassins Creed to her small kitten dies.
You don't need to attributes her the success of AC to recognize that she worked on it and various other very successuful games

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah, I mean BluePoint, Housemarque and Bungie don't meet that criteria at all do they 🤡

Topher

Gold Member
She wasn't the director of these games. Further proves my point tbh.

Ubisoft put Raymond in charge of building and leading Ubisoft Toronto. Same thing Microsoft hired Darrel Galagher to do for The Initiative. Not exactly a minor accomplishment.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Proven staff doesn't mean much as far as I'm concernered,look at what's going on at the The Initivite right now,didn't they hire a lot of talented people.I'm just saying Sony are obviously feeling the pressure from Microsofts aquisitions.....this is a move they simply would not have made a few years ago.

The Haven staff have worked with each other in the past and decided to create their own studio.

The Initiative on the other hand was compiled by Microsoft.

Huge difference.

The Haven staff have worked with each other in the past and decided to create their own studio.

The Initiative on the other hand was compiled by Microsoft.

Huge difference.

Oh the name of the studio makes sense to me now. Guess they wanted to create a little developer paradise with people that they worked with.

oldergamer

Whose money do you think was keeping the lights on in Haven Studios and bearing all the expenses since the studio was first established?
I heard early on that they had investment money to get established, but I can admit when I'm wrong. sony was involved much earlier then i had thought.

To quote doesn't imply to disagree, sometimes it's to expand or provide extra details.

Yeah, it's just that you quoted my post alongside another post. And while your reply did agree with what i'd posted it was also a counter-argument to the other poster you were responding to. So it seemed your intent was to argue with the other poster and my post might have got added by mistake.

Not to worry.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Without Jade Raymond he never produced another good game, ever
He actually developed games, something Jade Raymond never did... let's say she was the cute face sell his art. Don't get me wrong, I want her to be successful, but she has been trying for more than a decade and nothing happens. Her studios are always closed and she's always terminated.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He actually developed games, something Jade Raymond never did... let's say she was the cute face sell his art. Don't get me wrong, I want her to be successful, but she has been trying for more than a decade and nothing happens. Her studios are always closed and she's always terminated.
There is more to this studio than just her. Lots of established talent there.

Derps just keep focusing on her, because, dudes and gamers.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Work in both ways…

Without Jade he didn’t produced another good game.
He tried once and without funding from a big corporation, Ancestor is good for what it is, something you can't say about any project by Jade with all the money from ubisoft and EA and Google... now Sony lol.

ethomaz

Banned
She is already successful you don’t need to want anything.

What kind of revisionist history is this? Yes she's developed games and yes she's successfully built up and managed studios.

The exception was google which had fuck all to do with her.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
He tried once and without funding from a big corporation, Ancestor is good for what it is, something you can't say about any project by Jade with all the money from ubisoft and EA and Google... now Sony lol.
I’m not sure what you are trying to say?
She delivered good games… and the Google has nothing to do with her… the game was cancelled because well Google failed… I mean Stadia lol

Now the same can’t be said about he and Ancestor lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What kind of revisionist history is this? Yes she's developed games and yes she's successfully built up and managed studios.

The exception was google which had fuck all to do with her.
I have no ideia where people are focusing in support a guys that never did nothing outside ACII that released over a decade ago.

Compared with somebody that worked and successful delivered several games thought the same time.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm trying to say, I don't expect anything good from this just like her attempts with ubisoft, EA and Google. So sony is just wasting money for a name.
But she had good games at Ubisoft.

And Battlefront II issue was the game quality or the MTX issues created by EA greed?

Google killed themselves with Stadia… I mean fund a 1st-party Stadia game to who? Of course they cancelled it.

oldergamer

So you're satisfied with Microsofts output after having 20-30 studios in their grasp?

What about 2022? or 2020? 2019?
20 - 30 is an exaggeration. They had 17 or 18 before the Bethesda purchase. Last year they ended on a very strong note, so yeah I was satisfied with the output. I'm also not expecting every studio to release a game in the same year.

They have yet to show everything coming this year, but I see little point in trying to go back to 2020 or 2019. Those years have passed and have no bearing going forward.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I have no ideia where people are focusing in support a guys that never did nothing outside ACII that released over a decade ago.

Compared with somebody that worked and successful delivered several games thought the same time.
The last 3 games she produced:
Assassin's creed unity
splinter cell blacklist and watch dogs.... smh. real quality there

ethomaz

Banned
The last 3 games she produced:
Assassin's creed unity
splinter cell blacklist and watch dogs.... smh. real quality there
I have no ideia what are you talking about.

Watch Dogs is good… received 80 meta.
Assassin’s Creed Unity received 70 due bugs and crash issues but anybody that plays it nowdays thinks it is the best game in the franchise.
Blacklist received 82… good indeed.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned

Assassin’s Creed Unity received 70 due bugs and crash issues but anybody that plays it nowdays thinks it is the best game in the franchise.
Watch Dogs destroyed the franchise in the first attempt lol wtf are you talking about
Assassin's creed Unity destroyed the franchise until AC origins
and we don't have a splinter cell game since Blacklist, and now we will have a remake of the first game.

You most live in a different dimension where Jade Raymond did all those fantastic stuff after Assassin's creed 2

ethomaz

Banned
Watch Dogs destroyed the franchise in the first attempt lol wtf are you talking about
Assassin's creed Unity destroyed the franchise until AC origins
and we don't have a splinter cell game since Blacklist, and now we will have a remake of the first game.

You most live in a different dimension where Jade Raymond did all those fantastic stuff after Assassin's creed 2
No... she was part of team that delivered good games.
I'm in a dimension that these games where not bad like you are saying lol
Neither of them were... to Unity be considered the best in the franchise... and Watch Dogs and Blacklist receiving good scores.

While that Patric something games...

what-huh.gif

Last edited:
I love how some people here are still going on as if Jade’s only celebrated for her looks.

As if no prominent industry figures are elevated purely because of their output.

Counter points:

MV5BODZhNjc5NzctY2FmNC00MjYyLTlmYzMtOTQ4ZTkxZGE5NzU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE0MTQ0NA@@._V1_.jpg

11z615505022p14110_jd_top.jpg

Ezquimacore

Banned

definitely a trash taste in games, no other way to say it.

ethomaz

Banned
definitely a trash taste in games, no other way to say it.
So you are wrong and now put the blame on tastes lol

It is fine if you don't like a game but don't try to make the game was bad just because you think it was bad.
Look at the scores the game received and the fan community like it or not.

Unity suffered the same issue as Cyberpunk... was launched in a poor state but anybody that follow the AC community know after the fixes it is considered the best AC in the franchise.
The others two games received good scores from everybody.

The games you say are bad are instead good.

Last edited:

It is fine if you don't like a game but don't try to make the game was bad just because you think it was bad.

Unity suffered the same issue as Cyberpunk... was launched in a poor state but anybody that follow the AC community know after the fixes it is considered the best AC in the franchise.

Chill Reaction GIF

kuncol02

Banned
But she had good games at Ubisoft.

And Battlefront II issue was the game quality or the MTX issues created by EA greed?

Google killed themselves with Stadia… I mean fund a 1st-party Stadia game to who? Of course they cancelled it.
She wasn't producer of Battlefront II. She was at this time running Motive Studios which was only making shitty single player campaign of it. They never even made their own game till she left. During her time in EA she was also in charge of Visceral Games which with her in helm was unable to finish their Star Wars game.

FukuDaruma

I don't know about Splinter Cell, but both Assassins Creed Unity and Watch Dogs were release disasters. Raymond being a Producer certainly has a lot more responsibility on these releases than the creative merits of the games, as she wasn't any part of the creative teams but the state of the games being released sure is her responsibility as a Producer. Watch Dogs was even an infamous scam with a fake demo.

Ass Creed Unity has a USER score of 5.7
Watch Dogs has a USER score of 6.5

Last edited:
Top Bottom