• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

The invisible thing is not worth getting AP drained. Not having a block is punishment enough. I would just look at his supers
And they did say this beta is old and a lot of the problems fans are complaining about are things they have already fixed so we should probably just sit tight till then.
I just hope people with the HK beta are all set for the next one haha

Sly just shouldn't be able to attack when invisible. That or I say give him the same block and evade as everyone else and be done with it. The teleport move is enough invisibility lol.

You know what's awesome in this beta? The theme song. I kinda hope it stays

I kinda of like it, I just wish that it and the overall sound presentation had more oomph. I got a pretty good sound system with a 12" sub that is barely used when playing this game. Be nice if the music brought some low end into the mix and some the more bombastic moments in fighting had some as well. Thoughts from anyone else that plays on a Home Theater System, or even headphones?

Sly just shouldn't be able to attack when invisible. That or I say give him the same block and evade as everyone else and be done with it. The teleport move is enough invisibility lol.

I kinda of like it, I just wish that it and the overall sound presentation had more oomph. I got a pretty good sound system with a 12" sub that is barely used when playing this game. Be nice if the music brought some low end into the mix and some the more bombastic moments in fighting had some as well. Thoughts from anyone else that plays on a Home Theater System, or even headphones?

Yes I have a good sound system and the sounds seem really weak -- not just the player hits but also the music.

The player select music should have a lot more bass.

Hopefully they work on this before release.

Pachimari

So how can I get in direct touch with SuperBot Entertainment without sending them a public tweet? Isn't it possible to send a message? I would like to get access to a betakey for a hands-on article for the publication site I work for.

EDIT:
Oh, can only send messages to those who follow my profile. Okay, I'll check their website.

^ Check their website for contact info.

What the taunts are for each character? :( Just trying to compile some info here.

Right...Well I could describe them. But you're gonna get a lot of answers like "Radec does a sort of salute type thingy" haha. I'm sure people on here are more helpful with that.
I do like Parappa's break dancing

Radec: Salutes and says "Death to you all"
Parappa: Breakdances
Sly: Leans on his cane, says "You are no challenge and no fun."
Sweet: Puts his hand to his face and laughs
Fat Princess: Dances and giggles

Kratos is left.

RetroMG

Finally got everything going. (Wound up buying a larger HK PSN card than I intended, but I'll find something else on there to buy.)

It's... interesting. The screen zooms out way too far, though, so it's hard to get a grasp on what's going on. And up doesn't jump, which completely throws me off after years of Smash.

I've come to the conclusion that Super 1's are too effective. I'm just playing the game using Super 1's-- as soon as I get them, I use them. Way better than saving up.

I saw Sly use his Super 3, he realistically could get 3-4 enemies in the game I played-- spawn protection and respawn slowing him down the most. Assuming he could get us in a bunch, he could get a 3 in 1, then maybe get 1 or 2 of us at best upon spawn. That's way too much of a risk to take when his super 1 can do most the work. Same goes for Sweet Tooth-- incredibly easy to get a Super 1 since his AP builds real fast, and much more easier to use his Super 1, maybe you miss it, maybe you get a 2 KO, maybe u get a 1 KO, but much more better than getting up to his Super 3.

I really think there needs to be a tweak for this. Perhaps make Super 3's achieve 1 extra point or something, I dont know. I know Im the only one complaining, but I still feel Kratos has the best progression-- Super 1 is easy to miss and dodge, though it could still net you 3 Kills, Super 2 can be used smartly to net you 3 Kills, and Super 3 can provide you with 6 if you are real good. But still, I don't know, I just feel like Super 3 should probably give you an extra point or something, Super 1's are way too effective, and once everybody gets past the glamor of saving and using a Super 3, I think a lot of people are just going to use Super 1's.

People still dont know not to use Sly's level 3 eh? Ugh

If by don't know, you mean using it at all. Breaks the camera every time.

Edit: Also this is an early build according to Superbot and a lot of the issues we have with glitches and maybe even balance have already been addressed for the most part according to them. The frustrating the thing is we don't really know what tweaks have been made because we are just testing the servers.

Noi

It depends on the super in question, really. We all agree that Sly's level 1 Super is too good, but almost every other character's level 1 can either be easilly stuffed by attacking before the hit comes out, dodged, or has a very telltale sign like FP's cake symbol.

Outside of Sly's everything, I do think the current 6 character cast is fairly balanced.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Counting down the days :3 but I'll settle for Gamescom.
It's good to know my Radec is never complained about. I try to be more creative than just spamming. Fig can back me up haha.
The best part about the beta (aside from the sheer fun of playing) is that my understanding of the game has skyrocketed. When I watch videos I really get what each character is doing now and I can appreciate the super system.
Cole is gonna be a beast too haha

It's true! Lol. You're Radec doesn't piss me the frick off! Lol.

And I agree, after I finally got my hands on it at E3, watching videos was a different experience. Once you've at least gotten a little bit of time with the game, it really helps you form the proper context for what's going on in a match.

It really is a very different game from Smash. To the point that when the uninformed come in and throw a "hilarious" Smash joke, it's just a little bit grating. There are some similarities in that it's a "mascot" brawler, but the core game play mechanics and meta game is very different.

I was never terribly skeptical about the super system, but I wasn't sold on it either. After playing the game, and now being in this beta, I really, really enjoy it.

The only negatives I have with the game so far are not because of the Super system, but single move spammers. I like to experiment and try different moves to form combos, but it gets frustrating being hit with the same move over and over and over again, and then getting taken out by that guy's super because he spammed to get there. It usually adds insult to injury when they do that, they go invisible, and you can't get back at them. Lol.

There should be a medal system in place in this game, that you just collect from doing certain things in a single match (ie, executing 5 supers - that connect, getting 10/15/20/ kills, getting 0 deaths, blocking X amount of attacks, avoiding X amount of supers - specifically dodging, not just running away to evade, etc, etc). I think they may actually have something like that in place, but I can't remember if I heard that somewhere or not.

Noi

The only negatives I have with the game so far are not because of the Super system, but single move spammers. I like to experiment and try different moves to form combos, but it gets frustrating being hit with the same move over and over and over again, and then getting taken out by that guy's super because he spammed to get there. It usually adds insult to injury when they do that, they go invisible, and you can't get back at them. Lol.

I think that just comes with the territory. In pretty much every fighting game, people find the cheapest/most exploitable move and just spam that to victory. Dunno where the fun in that is, but there's all kinds of people out there.

There should be a medal system in place in this game, that you just collect from doing certain things in a single match (ie, executing 5 supers - that connect, getting 10/15/20/ kills, getting 0 deaths, blocking X amount of attacks, avoiding X amount of supers - specifically dodging, not just running away to evade, etc, etc). I think they may actually have something like that in place, but I can't remember if I heard that somewhere or not.

Something like the Pins in LBP2 would be a nice touch. I do know those damn things got me to do things in that game that I wouldn't otherwise do...

Something like the Pins in LBP2 would be a nice touch. I do know those damn things got me to do things in that game that I wouldn't otherwise do...

This is what I was thinking, if it didn't get in the way of playing the game. I also suggest that, after a game ends, we get to see stats that breakdown the game--- who got what medal, how the match broke down in terms of attacks, combos, dodges, supers, etc. Like Halo, it'd just be so awesome to have

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think that just comes with the territory. In pretty much every fighting game, people find the cheapest/most exploitable move and just spam that to victory. Dunno where the fun in that is, but there's all kinds of people out there.

Very true! I just find that kind of "tactic" really boring and unfun, not just as a victim of the spammers, but as a player. It's like playing God of War and mashing Square, Square, Triangle, and then bitching about the battle system not having depth or complexity. I just don't want to hear those same move spammers bitching about PBR not having any depth to the combat. There was an annoying guy on the official PlayStation forums that pretty much said that exact shit, despite him only using PaRappa's one move over and over and over again to win.

But yeah, a lot of FPS games have a medal system where you get a little badge for doing something in the match like heal/revive your team mates, or get revenge on the last player that killed you. Stuff like that I'd like to see in PBR.

Noi

Tried to play a match or two using my fightstick. It's doable, but I think I'll wait until I can properly map my buttons to the right places, lol.

Alright fellas time to drop the Jen Tate campaign and let's jump on the Kat campaign

Kat campaign? What's the point when we all know she's in the game?

BELIEVE!

DigitalOp

Banned
Question, I havent played the game so Im wondering how effective is this strategy lol...

I was thinking, since extra AP carries from one special to the next... Wouldn't it make sense to build your special to a Level 2 almost to a Level 3...

Use the Level 2, then land 3 more hits to use a Level 1

Does it work that way? And is that efficient fighting?

Question, I havent played the game so Im wondering how effective is this strategy lol...

I was thinking, since extra AP carries from one special to the next... Wouldn't it make sense to build your special to a Level 2 almost to a Level 3...

Use the Level 2, then land 3 more hits to use a Level 1

Does it work that way? And is that efficient fighting?

You wouldn't have to do "3 more hits". From my experience, if you're close to a level 3 and then use your level 2, you will have a level 1 ready immediately after that.

Noi

It'd be character dependant, really. Some supers use up more or less AP than others, and if you have the opportunity to get multiple kills with a level 2, I don't really see the bonus of sitting on it. You'd have to wait for them to respawn to then use the level 1 anyway.

cyborg009

Banned
There is a girl in DmC named Kat.

this came from PS forums

original

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Alright fellas time to drop the Jen Tate campaign and let's jump on the Kat campaign

<----------------

Let's do this.

There's not much point in a Kat campaign, because she's already heavily favored to be in the game at some point, and it doesn't hurt that Omar is a huge fan of Gravity Rush, so I'm sure he'd love to get her in there.

Jen on the other hand, is a largely underappreciated character in a pretty solid action/adventure game. My Jen avatar is only slightly ironic. I actually think she's awesome, and would be a fun character to have in PBR. Primal was one of my favorite games of last generation, along with Ghosthunter, Shadow of Destiny, and Second Sight.

I just wish Rau or Tati would be in the game, but at least the Mark of Kri is represented by an item drop in the game, so that's cool.

Now, back to beta talk! I actually haven't played it yet today. I think I'll fire it up now!

Top Bottom