• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

solidus51

Banned
Try to really get in with that flamethrower, trust me it's actually pretty good...Of course I think every attack might have it's place haha

Surely you kid. Radec is a boss. A BOSS.

ill destroy your radec man.
i havent seen a sly do a combo yet all i see is electric slides

k_Reign

Oh lord, now I know what you guys are talking about when you're facing THREE Radecs...

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM BOOM BOOM
BOOM BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

etc

SO MANY SNIPER SHOTS GOD so frustrating. Why do people spam that? I know the answer to that question but it's still dumb...

SmithnCo

ill destroy your radec man.
i havent seen a sly do a combo yet all i see is electric slides

I've seen the basic square up to neutral square, I think it is. No long combos like Kratos and FP though. Some of the Kratos combos that people are pulling out are impressive.

I think what would help is if they prevent spamming the same move. It's pretty easy trapping someone who is alone unless someone else comes to intervene. Maybe a few extra frames of delay.

Ran rp

I wonder if the full game will have assist items like Smash Bros.' Pokemon balls. The minions are probably only there for supers and to populate the background though.

There's something satisfying about beating a Sly that spams side triangle (RedSkinsRock) and a Sly that uses his level 3 super to glitch the end of the game. Luckily if you kill the Sly that used it, the game goes back to normal. It's just hard to do while blind.

2012-08-05_12-47-02_348.jpg

There's something satisfying about beating a Sly that spams side triangle (RedSkinsRock) and a Sly that uses his level 3 super to glitch the end of the game. Luckily if you kill the Sly that used it, the game goes back to normal. It's just hard to do while blind.

oh sweet sweet revenge (lived vicariously through you).

fuck you redskinsrocks. fuck you. FUCKAYEWWADAWFIN!

The other Sly was a jerk too haha
Played him again, used level 3 again....gah
I dont understand how spamming can be so much fun haha

Archon473

Is anyone recording matches? If you guys are getting comfortable with the game and characters, I'd love to watch the action.

Also, can Radec aim his sniper rifle, or must it shoot horizontally?

Gorillaz

you...you beat redskinsrock.....your my hero
now all thats left to beat is reesepeciez and and then the nightmare will end.

Noi

Is anyone recording matches? If you guys are getting comfortable with the game and characters, I'd love to watch the action.

Also, can Radec aim his sniper rifle, or must it shoot horizontally?

Just horizontally. Would be pretty damn OP if you could actually aim the thing, and it'd make a lot of his movement inadequate.

I actually have recording equipment, but I don't find it too fun to record matches with random internet people. It'd be another story if we could select who we fought with.

this build must be super old since it only has 6 characters

I dunno about how old the build is, it's just that the online is buggy. Old builds from reveal and E3 for example show 0 bugs. Good thing they decided to do the beta. While the netcode is really good it makes few supers go haywire.

Also is it too much to ask that they replace Sly with Toro, Cole, Heihachi or Big Daddy in the next patch lol.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I highly doubt they'll replace any of the 6 original characters, but they'll probably patch in a few tweaks and fixes based on feedback.

I haven't played it yet today, since I'm taking a break, but I may play it later. I'm kind of apprehensive about dealing with the spammers today. It just brings my mood down.

SmithnCo

I had one of the funniest glitch matches ever, I think Parappa's 3 glitched or something, and it ended up with like 5 different FP and Sly models frozen on the stage, haha.

Loudninja

I highly doubt they'll replace any of the 6 original characters, but they'll probably patch in a few tweaks and fixes based on feedback.

I haven't played it yet today, since I'm taking a break, but I may play it later. I'm kind of apprehensive about dealing with the spammers today. It just brings my mood down.
They will be making updates
Chan Park on August 2nd, 2012 at 1:02 pm said:

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, we will be making updates/fixes to the next beta. So happy we are a day one buy for you and for all of the other posters who feel the same. We feel honored by such sentiment.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/02/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-public-beta-this-fall/

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I read "updates" as simply meaning updates to things like netcode, bug patching, etc. Not adding/swapping out new characters.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to get my hands on Drake, Toro, Cole, and Jak and Daxter, but I'm not expecting them, so it's not a disappointment if the update they release just fixes the Level 3 super glitches, and stabilizes the net code. I can hold off playing as the rest of the roster come release date. I don't want to get too spoiled before release.

Loudninja

I read "updates" as simply meaning updates to things like netcode, bug patching, etc. Not adding/swapping out new characters.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to get my hands on Drake, Toro, Cole, and Jak and Daxter, but I'm not expecting them, so it's not a disappointment if the update they release just fixes the Level 3 super glitches, and stabilizes the net code. I can hold off playing as the rest of the roster come release date. I don't want to get too spoiled before release.
Oh sorry I think I read you post wrong.

Yeah I dont expect new characters.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh sorry I think I read you post wrong.

Yeah I dont expect new characters.

Lol. I'm really looking forward to them fixing those Level 3's. At this point, people are using them more because they break the match, not because they are aiming for a Level 3 to get those kills.

I really need to start utilizing AP draining attacks on characters that are building up to Level 2 and 3 supers, though. The battles are so chaotic though, that's often hard to focus on that one individual that is clearly going for the higher levels. You can only deter them from doing it so much in your attempt to win.

I lost my last match because, at the last minute, the other Kratos got his level 3, and took me out. If I had stayed alive that bit extra, the match would have either gone into overtime, or I would have had that extra bit of time to execute a super on him and keep him from taking the lead (there was only 20 seconds left in the match, and Kratos' level 3 lasts for a bit, and I got killed, so I had to wait to respawn, then wait for his super to end, then try and execute my super, but I spawned across the map, too far away to hit anybody with it before time expired).

I'm really impressed at the tactical aspect the super system brings to the table. You're really forced to think about the bigger picture and cost effectiveness of your supers throughout a match.

Also, 4 Kratos' can be a bitch. The last match I had was two Sweet Tooths, and two Kratos', and that was a good one (the match I described above, actually). I'm just eager for more modes. I'd love it if SuperBot gave us some random stock matches with the FFA matches in the next update. We don't choose them, but they just cycle like the stages do.

Oh guys you know what was awesome today? I was Parappa and a Sweet Tooth used his level 3 and I got close to him and successfully avoided being killed for the entire super. It was extremely rewarding!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh guys you know what was awesome today? I was Parappa and a Sweet Tooth used his level 3 and I got close to him and successfully avoided being killed for the entire super. It was extremely rewarding!

Nice! I've only managed to avoid a handful of Level 3's, but usually the match would just glitch.

Also, am I the only person that thinks that Kratos and Fat Princess are the most "complete" of the beta characters? That is to say, they feel very balanced for the most part, and their supers aren't terribly glitchy, just in need of a few tweaks here or there?

I think Radec and Sweet Tooth would be next down that list. I think PaRappa and Sly still need some work as far as balance goes.

Drago

I feel bad for ya Figboy, no one cares about your post in the other thread or they are ignoring your point :(

Edit: oh damn, wrong thread lol

Nice! I've only managed to avoid a handful of Level 3's, but usually the match would just glitch.

Also, am I the only person that thinks that Kratos and Fat Princess are the most "complete" of the beta characters? That is to say, they feel very balanced for the most part, and their supers aren't terribly glitchy, just in need of a few tweaks here or there?

I think Radec and Sweet Tooth would be next down that list. I think PaRappa and Sly still need some work as far as balance goes.

I actually thought Parappa was extremely balanced haha.
In the current build, I would just make Sweet Tooth's level 2 better and fix Sly somehow. That's it!

KevinCow

Banned

Sweet Tooth's level 3 isn't too hard to avoid if you just stand inside him and keep jumping. Machine gun and rockets can't hit you, and ground pound can only hit when you're on the ground.

...WHY AM I SHARING THE SECRETS TO DEFEATING ME??

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I actually thought Parappa was extremely balanced haha.
In the current build, I would just make Sweet Tooth's level 2 better and fix Sly somehow. That's it!

Yeah, now that I think about it, PaRappa isn't too bad, but I think his one flurry kick attack could be dialed down a bit. Maybe a delay between using it consecutively. It can get annoying having that used on you over and over and over again.

I do think that Sweet Tooth's level 2, and Sly are in need of the biggest tweaks.

I've yet to play as her, but I just love Fat Princess. I get a kick out of fighting against a really good FP player. I'm sticking to Kratos, because I really want to learn one character well (before I drop him like a bad habit for Cole in the retail release. Lol), but man, I've come up against some hardcore Kratos players that are like a gut check for me, just when I think I'm getting good with him, I'll run into one of those monsters. Lol.

Yeah, now that I think about it, PaRappa isn't too bad, but I think his one flurry kick attack could be dialed down a bit. Maybe a delay between using it consecutively. It can get annoying having that used on you over and over and over again.

I do think that Sweet Tooth's level 2, and Sly are in need of the biggest tweaks.

I've yet to play as her, but I just love Fat Princess. I get a kick out of fighting against a really good FP player. I'm sticking to Kratos, because I really want to learn one character well (before I drop him like a bad habit for Cole in the retail release. Lol), but man, I've come up against some hardcore Kratos players that are like a gut check for me, just when I think I'm getting good with him, I'll run into one of those monsters. Lol.

Glad others are anticipating Cole! (infamous <3 )
I love Kratos side triangle...everyone's side triangle haha

Gamescom is 9 days away from New Marais!

Ran rp

Anyone know what Kratos' down + circle is supposed to do? Is it just a guard? I also saw a Kratos shooting a ball of light across the screen like the one he shoots during his lvl 3 super. Is that an actual move or was it some item pickup? I've never seen that before outside of his super.

Hehe, it's awesome getting thrown in the air and tossed around by Fat P isn't it? By far my favorite character in the beta and one I will return to in the full release every once and awhile.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Glad others are anticipating Cole! (infamous <3 )
I love Kratos side triangle...everyone's side triangle haha

Gamescom is 9 days away from New Marais!

Yeah, Kratos side triangle in air and on ground is great. I'm starting to get the hang of juggling people, but I need to start working harder on setting up people for my supers. I usually try and wait for an opening, but it can be annoying when you're constantly interrupted by another player who's just looking to get some hits in for AP.

I've noticed that I'm now approaching battles with more of a strategy than I was early on. I tend to focus on one target (usually the person who is leading if it's not me), but again, other players complicate that by constantly attacking me when I'm not going for them. Lol. But thems the annoying breaks, I guess.

Top Bottom