• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

Is it just impatience on the part of many of you? As much as I love All Stars, I have a lot of shit to keep me busy for the next 57 days. I got a ton of PSP and Vita games to play, stuff like Tokyo Jungle and a bunch of games I just got from the two Humble Indie Bundles I purchased and am yet to play. Not to mention work. I just occupy myself with other things beyond dreaming of PBR. Lol..

I'm capable of multi-tasking, you know!

Ran rp

Looks like you can get 7 kills with Kratos' lvl 3. You just have to be quick and accurate with your atracks and you'll be able to squeeze a 7th or 8th kill in (If you kill two people with one swing).

I was doing 2 v 2 against a jerk Radec who was gunning for a super 3. I try my best to hold him back- grabs, rpg, etc. Eventually it's clear he cant do it so Im waiting for his super 2. He goes for it the same time I jam a c4 on him. Epic ST kick, hits his partner for the double kill. What a game this is. It truly is fun. Whst moments did u all have?

Its amazing how competitive this gets when you are tracking supers and moves. Shouting to my oartner " look out he's setting up for his super! Dont get close to me, Kratos has a super 2! Omg 5 seconds left, JUST HIDE! (damn Radec's homing super saved him from double overtime)"

There are so many moments in this game. Haters truly have no idea. Sony needs to get demoes on new PS3s, do bundles, advertise. This is something that needs to be played to be appreciated. Supers are such a great concept, so much could have gone wrong but it all works and it is magic. Hats off to Omar and SB

I was doing 2 v 2 against a jerk Radec who was gunning for a super 3. I try my best to hold him back- grabs, rpg, etc. Eventually it's clear he cant do it so Im waiting for his super 2. He goes for it the same time I jam a c4 on him. Epic ST kick, hits his partner for the double kill. What a game this is. It truly is fun. Whst moments did u all have?

Its amazing how competitive this gets when you are tracking supers and moves. Shouting to my oartner " look out he's setting up for his super! Dont get close to me, Kratos has a super 2! Omg 5 seconds left, JUST HIDE! (damn Radec's homing super saved him from double overtime)"

There are so many moments in this game. Haters truly have no idea. Sony needs to get demoes on new PS3s, do bundles, advertise. This is something that needs to be played to be appreciated. Supers are such a great concept, so much could have gone wrong but it all works and it is magic. Hats off to Omar and SB

Good post. Those "wow" moments in the game do really make it so awesome. When you and your partner team up in the perfect ways or you just get a great kill the feeling of accomplishment is sweet.
Yesterday I was Radec playing a 2 v 2 against a Fat P. She used her level 2 and just before she rammed my partner I took out the chicken with Radec's level 1. Effectively killing her and saving my partner from death. Very very fun.
And I feel like a demo of this game on the PSN before release will do a lot of good for the public eye and sales and all that.
Just want to restate hats off to Omar and SB. This has a high chance of being my personal GOTY

TheMink

Ok, so me and J were playing yesterday and we were using lvl 3's exclusively.
At first i thought that using lvl 3's was not the most efficient way to get kills, and that is somewhat true in ffa, but in 2v2 lvl 3's are where its at (as Kratos or Sweet Tooth or Radec) and heres why:

Its simple math really. The goal of the game is to get is many kills as possible with the least number of bars. In ffa double kills with a lvl 1 are a dime a dozen.
Not so in 2v2, lvl 1's usually grant you one kill. And you have a much higher probability of wiffing.
So yes technically you can get more kills via lvl 1's but the risk is exceptionally high.

Going for a lvl 3 (assuming you are Kratos or Radec or Sweet Tooth) will pretty much garauntee you 3-4 unless you are a bunk b. Additionally you literally spend all of your time getting ap. 0 time is spent thinking "hmm would this be a good place to do a lvl 1?" you just continue comboing without thinking, making your ap go sooo much faster.

Me and j would get our lvl 3's with 1:10 left of the clock bring our total score to 8 almost always.
Then from there on go for lvl 1's or 2's if you can manage it. We could generally get two more level 1's each with 1:10 left.

End game would look something like Jstien 6 kills and Me 5 kills (i usually wiff one of my end lvl 1's lol)

Side note:

With J as Radec and me as Kratos, J and I generate ridiculous amounts of ap.

The enemy team will usually be trying their very hardest to get over to Radec, but i spend all of my time making sure they dont get there. I get free combos and hits and J keeps gernading/sniping/shooting away.

Then the enemy usually gets frustrated and start going for lvl 1's.
But J and I (especially J) dodge them with ease. I saw J at the the corner of the screen one time, and i was worried cause i had let the enemy get to him.
The dude attempted 2 lvl 1's in a row. J dodged both then blew him away with revolver. I dont know how he knew the guy was going to use two, but he did lol.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's definitely a great game, which is why the constant and unceasing negativity feels so unbalanced to me.

The team at Superbot did a fantastic job creating a fun game. Even if this game didn't start PlayStation characters, just a roster of new, original characters, it would be fun and awesome. The PlayStation nature of the cast just adds to the fun, especially seeing Nathan Drake battling against Jak and Daxter, and PaRappa battling against Kratos. It's absurd, and funny, and awesome.

I'm itching to get my hands on it again for sure. I imagine 2v2 is really fun. I've always been more of a fan of co-op style than FFA. I can tell me and my friends are going to have a field day with this game at get togethers.

EDIT: Mink, yeah, the combat is so much more intense and tactical. It really rewards skilled players, while still remaining accessible for new people.

Yeah I agree with all you said Mink, we make a pretty sick team too.
What he was doing as Kratos to compliment my Radec was exactly what I wanted, so helpful! And I like to think I've gotten pretty good at dodging level 1s, people need to try comboing into those more I think. I know that Kratos level 1 has gotten somewhat difficult to land.
All in all 2 vs 2 really opened my eyes to a completely different side of the game making me that much more stoked for it. Can't wait to see how 1 v 1 plays out.

Random: I was just reading about the whole Sony removing their street date things for 2012. Does that mean we could possibly get this game earlier than it's intended release or...?

Loudninja

Haha me an another sweet tooth just did a level 1 at the same time and we kill each other an another person.

Also the game had an error after that lol.

I got a friend request two days ago from some guy and a message yesterday.

"Why ddnt add me? I just matched you in all star battle and i wanna kick your ass sometime. And also i like your avatar lol"

... O-Oh... okay...

0YBA2.png
We can ask no more of Superbot.

3lBYI.jpg
Figboy79, the fanboys are moving. Nintendo's forces are massing in the GAF. Their eyes are fixed on PSASBR. And TGS, you tell me, has betrayed our expectations. Our list of gaming expos grows thin.

0YBA2.png
Their treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft, Nintendo has crossed Mario with Bayonetta. They are breeding a roster in the caverns of Tokyo. A roster that can rival Brawls and cover great number of IPs. Nintendo is coming for the kill.

3lBYI.jpg
Our current roster cannot be concealed by the power of beta file encryption. We do not have the strenght to fight both insatiable fans and Nintendo! Figboy79, the roster cannot stay this small. The time of TGS is over. Japanese 3rd parties are leaving home console developement. What will you look foreward to now? The Eurogamer Expo? They only cater to the dudebro gamers. They care not for the troubles of others.

0YBA2.png
It is in NYCC we must place our hope.

I'm sooooo bored with the lack of news with this title. All we have got for like a month is super short sneak peeks at a few stages. Release proper videos for em or something dangit!

LOL! Screw you mink and J!

You pretty much were talking about me! J was impossible to get, which made me want him more. And mink was getting combos in easy. I should have coordinated better. I want a rematch!! hopefully the beta is still up when I get home.

Also, i think parappa's ap boombox needs a slight buff. in between what they have now and before

You pretty much were talking about me! J was impossible to get, which made me want him more. And mink was getting combos in easy. I should have coordinated better. I want a rematch!! hopefully the beta is still up when I get home.

Also, i think parappa's ap boombox needs a slight buff. in between what they have now and before

Haha sorry I was being such a nuisance.
But you gotta admit even when you lose this game is ridiculously fun. It has that "I'm just gonna play one more game" feel.
I'm really itching for new media, the IGN videos didn't really do it for me

Foshy

You need to have someone locally play with you or invite a friend to your 'party'.

Alright, thanks. I thought you were playing 2v2 with randoms and I didn't see an option to do that.

Mh, as someone who mainly plays Parappa, I think it's fine as it is; a small boost you can use when hiding from a Super or something. If it were better it would be OP, you shouldn't rely on it to get the biggest part of your AP.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
0YBA2.png
We can ask no more of Superbot.

3lBYI.jpg
Figboy79, the fanboys are moving. Nintendo's forces are massing in the GAF. Their eyes are fixed on PSASBR. And TGS, you tell me, has betrayed our expectations. Our list of gaming expos grows thin.

0YBA2.png
Their treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft, Nintendo has crossed Mario with Bayonetta. They are breeding a roster in the caverns of Tokyo. A roster that can rival Brawls and cover great number of IPs. Nintendo is coming for the kill.

3lBYI.jpg
Our current roster cannot be concealed by the power of beta file encryption. We do not have the strenght to fight both insatiable fans and Nintendo! Figboy79, the roster cannot stay this small. The time of TGS is over. Japanese 3rd parties are leaving home console developement. What will you look foreward to now? The Eurogamer Expo? They only cater to the dudebro gamers. They care not for the troubles of others.

0YBA2.png
It is in NYCC we must place our hope.

I'm sooooo bored with the lack of news with this title. All we have got for like a month is super short sneak peeks at a few stages. Release proper videos for em or something dangit!

LOL!

Yeah, it'd be nice to get some of those featurettes they've been working on. I'd love to hear more from the soundtrack as well. Maybe one or to level tracks or something? That main theme has me pretty pumped for the potential of the soundtrack.

I'm green with envy about all the people in the new beta. I want some 2v2 action, dammit!

EDIT: JStein, that's one of the things I really like about Smash Bros and PBR, is that even when losing, you've still had a good time. It's all good fun. It's only annoying if you've lost to someone who was being cheap and spamming, but even then, it's still a good time, and you find yourself planning your strategies for the next match.

Mik_Pad

Banned
The other day when I was playing I got a amazing glitch, when Kratos used his level 3 he transformed but he had his normal attacks and he couldnt kill with them but he didnt waste his super bar after that someone hit him with a rocket and he used his level 2 in his level 3 form it was great! :D

I got a weird glitch as well, me (Radec) against 3 Kratos (eaaaasy stuff), we were at pretty much the end of the game and was about to have a tie with one of the Kratos, but I lucked out and got a box of energy all for me and stealed some from a Kratos fallen in a trap, reached LV3 in no time and went to basically win the match in the last five seconds, NOT, my character did the special animation but the move didn't started, SEVERAL TIMES, and the timer of the game stopped as well
So we ended fighting for at least 5 minutes more until a Kratos killed me with his special and then the timer started again and I could perform my Level 3, too little too late.
It was fun overall

Mik_Pad

Banned
What's his lvl 2 again? Don't think I have seen it much. it's always either the lvl 1 or lvl 3 that's being used by ST players
It's a controllable rocket with a rather small blast radius.

Edit: I love it only because Sweet tooth uses a DS to control the rocket as in MGS. :D

Awesome job Napalm. Yeah I've been bummed out as well about the lack of info, if I could play the new beta it'd be a different story, especially considering they said if you had the old beta, you could upgrade to the new one e_e

Edit - This was my thousandth post! Yay! :D

Gah, this game is awesome! It feels much more like MvC than Smash Brothers for sure. But damn there are a lot of problems in this beta that I hope they work out.

My biggest gripe w/ online games is the damn drop out/disconnection. And it seems to only happen when I'm doing really well. If they could at the very least just go to the Score screen to show who was doing the best and still count it towards your leaderboard (whatever they have). It's so disheartening when you are doing awesome then in a split second you are back at the character screen.

It's uber jank. It's not even 1 kill guaranteed.
Yea I have no idea how to use that one.. also I find Fat Princesses lvl1 to work/not work depending on its mood.

It's definitely a great game, which is why the constant and unceasing negativity feels so unbalanced to me.

The team at Superbot did a fantastic job creating a fun game. Even if this game didn't start PlayStation characters, just a roster of new, original characters, it would be fun and awesome. The PlayStation nature of the cast just adds to the fun, especially seeing Nathan Drake battling against Jak and Daxter, and PaRappa battling against Kratos. It's absurd, and funny, and awesome.

I'm itching to get my hands on it again for sure. I imagine 2v2 is really fun. I've always been more of a fan of co-op style than FFA. I can tell me and my friends are going to have a field day with this game at get togethers.

EDIT: Mink, yeah, the combat is so much more intense and tactical. It really rewards skilled players, while still remaining accessible for new people.
I believe the complaints stem from not getting deep into it/only watching videos. People expect this to be like Smash Brothers, which is VERY pick up and play friendly (although the concept is a bit confusing to newbies). But it's much more like MvC, where you have to actually learn a characters combos/move sets to be effective with them. It really just reminds me of MVC3, but you can only kill your opponent when you get your Super.

Guys, in case anybody needs one.
Amazon Gold Box will have PS3 controllers for 34.99 in 30 minutes so get there and get yourself one.

Cheapest I've seen (except used but ew) for an Official PS3 Controller. Who knows what kind of hell your controllers will go through as you smash your bros...in PSBR.

KalBalboa

Banned
Amazon Gold Box will have PS3 controllers for 34.99 in 30 minutes so get there and get yourself one.

Cheapest I've seen (except used but ew) for an Official PS3 Controller. Who knows what kind of hell your controllers will go through as you smash your bros...in PSBR.

Just bought a white one for $39 last week at Best Buy, but man... that's a good deal. Even though it's not an All-Stars related post, I definitely appreciate the heads up!

shout outs to cobbys2012ps from the official forums since we're talking over psn

KMart usually has bundles for super cheap(Picked up GoW Origins and Red dualshock bundle for $41 at the beginning of August), but that is a good deal.

TheMink

*pew pew* (gun sounds)

You're on!!

Just bought a white one for $39 last week at Best Buy, but man... that's a good deal. Even though it's not an All-Stars related post, I definitely appreciate the heads up!

shout outs to cobbys2012ps from the official forums since we're talking over psn

KMart usually has bundles for super cheap(Picked up GoW Origins and Red dualshock bundle for $41 at the beginning of August), but that is a good deal.

Thanks. Just had to let my PSBR peeps know.

WTF is up with Parappa's level 1?

It's crap; I've said so since the beginning. In fact, his only super that's worth using is the second one, as it's not worth the time and trouble building up to his level 3 just to get 3 guaranteed kills. Time it right, and the level 2 is killer.

Grrrrr I was straight up dominating as Fatty P against two other Fatty Ps and an absent Radec. I was dodging supers and landing multi kill supers left and right and then the two Fatty Ps rage quit and cause the game to end. LAME!!!! Send me nasty lion rape hate mail rather than rage quit.

It's crap; I've said so since the beginning. In fact, his only super that's worth using is the second one, as it's not worth the time and trouble building up to his level 3 just to get 3 guaranteed kills. Time it right, and the level 2 is killer.

OP if Parappa's 3 can intercede on other Super 3s?

Trollappa

B.O.O.M

It's a controllable rocket with a rather small blast radius.

Edit: I love it only because Sweet tooth uses a DS to control the rocket as in MGS. :D

oh gotcha! I completely forgot about that one. I tried ST but he just did not click with me. So far my favorites are kratos (F HIS lvl 2) and Sly! Sly has such a fantastic set of super moves overall

WTF is up with Parappa's level 1?

what about it?

OP if Parappa's 3 can intercede on other Super 3s?

Trollappa

I think there is a part of the meta game that hasn't been well utilized yet. That is triggering a Level 3 to negate a another's Level 2. Now what was "just 3 kills" becomes 3 kills and the prevention of 3 possible kills, which is of great value as well. Essentially you gain 6 points while the other person goes from getting possibly 6 as well to now -1. That's a HUGE swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom