• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMink

I find an easy way to combo with him is just tap his neutral square once. So its a 2 hit combo lol. But the lil hit does add somethin and Has allowed me to land a full fire breath a couple times. The stomp could work, but I haven't tried it.

Ive seen people do some pretty sweet setups with the stomp.

I find an easy way to combo with him is just tap his neutral square once. So its a 2 hit combo lol. But the lil hit does add somethin and Has allowed me to land a full fire breath a couple times. The stomp could work, but I haven't tried it.

If you land a successful stomp then jump you can follow up with a side triangle shotgun. It's a small combo but nets a fair amount of AP.

Nerf ST buff Kratos Radec pls
JFp3d.jpg

15pts is pretty high for sweet tooth, but pretty low compared to what other characters can get.

I have gotten up to 19 with ST tho. This was just a fast capture. His lvl3 can net 6 kills easily if positioned right. Add to that the fast lvl 1 kills after.

But I shall return to the game to prove ST needs heavy nerfing!

Did a couple matches with Kratos. I am shocked by just how much this shamelessly rips off Smash. Nearly every mechanic works exactly the same. Sorry, just had to say that.

It's pretty solid. Menus are boring and the overall tone of the game feels really generic. But it plays as well as it should. I'll buy it at a low price.

I have gotten up to 19 with ST tho. This was just a fast capture. His lvl3 can net 6 kills easily if positioned right. Add to that the fast lvl 1 kills after.

But I shall return to the game to prove ST needs heavy nerfing!
so you seriously think he's the best in the game? i can't tell if being sarcastic or not. everyone being usable in the game and being able to win during the beta stages is not the same thing as saying sweet tooth is currently the worst in the game.

15pts is pretty high for sweet tooth, but pretty low compared to what other characters can get.

I used to be able to get above 20 points really easily early in the beta with different characters, but people are playing a lot smarter now and scores show it. All of sudden games that would normally be 20+ with everyone else at -1 or 0 it is now winning with 7 and second is at 5. The last few days I have rarely run into a game where players weren't blocking and dodging and playing a lot smarter. Same thing happened towards the end of the other betas.

I guess I just really suck with ST, which is what I've suspected all along. Lol he's still a lot of fun to play with even if u suck with him or not. Kratos is just way OP, u can easily get two level 3's per game.

so you seriously think he's the best in the game? i can't tell if being sarcastic or not. everyone being usable in the game and being able to win during the beta stages is not the same thing as saying sweet tooth is currently the worst in the game.
I'm just joking.

Here's few great ones. Broke my ST record too!

ST tip: Hades - go for lvl 1 only. Metropolis - go for lvl 3. I think Kratos is most annoying when playing ST. So friggin annoying <_<. One Kratos totally raped me, interrupted every super I tried to do with his long ass range.

I can't for the life of me bring myself to play Sly without practice mode. Such a weird feeling character.

TheMink

I'm just joking.

Here's few great ones. Broke my ST record too!

ST tip: Hades - go for lvl 1 only. Metropolis - go for lvl 3. I think Kratos is most annoying when playing ST. So friggin annoying <_<. One Kratos totally raped me, interrupted every super I tried to do with his long ass range.

I can't for the life of me bring myself to play Sly without practice mode. Such a weird feeling character.

Lol i know you were joking.

Me to bro, sly is a weird freaking character.
I just tried playing as him again and i kept trying to block and well, you can assume how that worked out...

Also, it just occured to me that Raiden wont be able to do a mid air dodge because he does a mid air counter instead.
Unless you just have to push a direction and counter to do it? Seems unlikely. Might make certain supers harder to dodge. But his mobility seems to more than make up for it.

Raidens down throw:

''Zan-Datsu. Raiden takes AP or item from the enemy as he cuts trough the enemy.''

Pretty cool lol. They def should have Sly get item stealing throw too!

TheMink

So i just watched the MGR demo vid and i noticed that a few of Raidens combos are just like they are in PSAS. Even that kinda pausing when each hit connects, thats there too!
Color me impressed.

Qwell

Hadn't really played the beta much at all until this weekend when I had a friend come over. Put about 6 hours into it. We both never played Smash Brothers much at all, I think I have played it all of 3 times in my life, but I loved this game. It has some really good strategy to it, we could definitely tell when we were fighting people that knew what they were doing vs button mashers.

It took some learning, but after about an hour we started dominating, won probably 80% of our matches. I was mostly Kratos and he was split between Pa Rapa and the Princess, but he liked the Princess more. Can't wait for the full release, I can see myself spending some time with this game.

SmithnCo

Raidens down throw:

''Zan-Datsu. Raiden takes AP or item from the enemy as he cuts trough the enemy.''

Pretty cool lol. They def should have Sly get item stealing throw too!

Nice. Is this the first item-stealing move we've heard of? Raiden keeps sounding better and better.

I really hope a retailer gets an early shipment. One place I went to said their Sony Rep informed them all of their upcoming releases will not have strict street dates a la LBP Vita and the Pulse headsets, so here's hoping.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't remember if this has been talked about before, but what do you guys think of directional Supers for the sequel?

For example, Kratos:

Level 1:

R2: Divine Fury

Up + R2: Typhon's Bane (From God of War 2) Kratos uses Typhon's bow to fire a powerful blast made of wind that cuts through multiple enemies in a horizontal arc. It has mid range, but a longer reach than Divine Fury.

Down + R2: Claws of Hades (From God of War 3): Kratos uses Hade's blades to pull out the souls of any players within range.

Level 2:

R2: Divine Reckoning

Up + R2: Poseidon's Rage (From God of War 1): Kratos forms a circle of electric energy that can be boosted in range when the Circle button is repeatedly pressed.

Down + R2: Efreet (From God of War: Chains of Olympus): Kratos summons the demon/genie Efreet, who pounds the ground with fire fists. Repeatedly pressing Circle boosts the range of the attack.

Level 3:

R2: Rage of the Gods

Up + R2: Head of Eurale (From God of War 2): This will turn all other players into Stone, and Kratos must then use the "Square, Square, Triangle" combo to shatter them, ie, kill them and get points. Players have a chance to respawn as Stone, but it is not a 100% chance)

Down + R2: Soul Summon (From God of War 3) Using the Hades Blades, Kratos summons an army of spirits that fly around the screen, killing any player they come into contact with.

I think an expanded Super roster for PlayStation All Stars 2 would be a cool improvement, and introduce a whole new set of tactics for players to uncover. Each character would then have 3 potential Supers to execute per level, and the only tells would be the startup animations for the Supers. 9 Supers per character would be quite a lot for players to adjust their playing style and strategies, and Superbot would have even more opportunities to dig deep into that particular character's roster to utilize the Supers.

TheMink

I don't remember if this has been talked about before, but what do you guys think of directional Supers for the sequel?

For example, Kratos:

Level 1:

Up + R2: Typhon's Bane (From God of War 2) Kratos uses Typhon's bow to fire a powerful blast made of wind that cuts through multiple enemies in a horizontal arc. It has mid range, but a longer reach than Divine Fury.

Down + R2: Claws of Hades (From God of War 3): Kratos uses Hade's blades to pull out the souls of any players within range.

Level 2:

Up + R2: Poseidon's Rage (From God of War 1): Kratos forms a circle of electric energy that can be boosted in range when the Circle button is repeatedly pressed.

Down + R2: Efreet (From God of War: Chains of Olympus): Kratos summons the demon/genie Efreet, who pounds the ground with fire fists. Repeatedly pressing Circle boosts the range of the attack.

Level 3:

Up + R2: Head of Eurale (From God of War 2): This will turn all other players into Stone, and Kratos must then use the "Square, Square, Triangle" combo to shatter them, ie, kill them and get points. Players have a chance to respawn as Stone, but it is not a 100% chance)

Down + R2: Soul Summon (From God of War 3) Using the Hades Blades, Kratos summons an army of spirits that fly around the screen, killing any player they come into contact with.

I think an expanded Super roster for PlayStation All Stars 2 would be a cool improvement, and introduce a whole new set of tactics for players to uncover. Each character would then have 3 potential Supers to execute per level, and the only tells would be the startup animations for the Supers. 9 Supers per character would be quite a lot for players to adjust their playing style and strategies, and Superbot would have even more opportunities to dig deep into that particular character's roster to utilize the Supers.

I would diiig multiple supers per character in the sequel. I would dig it even more if they did it like you are suggesting, i.e you can use them both and not have to choose them before hand.

It would make sense for a sequel, because instead of having to build the whole game from scratch like they had to this game, they can focus on balancing such an addition, as well as a few more characters.

SSReborn

I like the idea but I'd prefer the pick beforehand approach because having all those Supers available to you during the match can kill the defensive/competitive aspect of the game it will also make thing very chaotic I think and less organized. The metagame will be for the most part destroyed because it will be ridiculously hard for the defending player figure out which move your gonna do and properly react to it. It will also make it so that each fighter has less weaknesses with their supers as they can use different ones to suit the situation which can really take away from the skill of landing one.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I like the idea but I'd prefer the pick beforehand approach because having all those Supers available to you during the match can kill the defensive/competitive aspect of the game it will also make thing very chaotic I think and less organized. The metagame will be for the most part destroyed because it will be ridiculously hard for the defending player figure out which move your gonna do and properly react to it. It will also make it so that each fighter has less weaknesses with their supers as they can use different ones to suit the situation which can really take away from the skill of landing one.

I agree, but that's why I said that the "tell" would be in the start up animation.

As it is now, when Kratos does his Divine Fury, you get the audio cue that a Super is about to go off, then you get the animation of him winding back, then lunging forward with the swing.

With Divine Reckoning, you see him pull the sword out, face it downward, then execute the Super.

I don't think a single super has an instantaneous effect. Most of them have some kind of wind up, then execute. These directional supers would be no different. When Kratos does his Typhon's Bane, for example, you'd see the animation of him pulling out his bow, and readying it to fire. Plenty of time for skilled players to know what's coming, and avoid it.

I really disagree with ST buffs. I am monstrous with him in FFA. His super 3 is hard to get but has the highest risk v reward setup. His super 2 is the risk. But when used instantly it can net you three kills

KevinCow

Banned
Watch this its videos of Superbot people playing the game at a higher level of play.

1 v 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4lrFk0gSC0
2 v 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZdrlm5ZkQ

Edit: I really like the 2 v 2 video because of the defence that Kratos and Radec mount up at around the 1:36 mark where Radec play's ranged and Kratos is essentially covering him from being rushed down.

I can't wait until the game comes out and we can see more skilled 1v1 matches. That was fun to watch.

Dr.Hadji

Watch this its videos of Superbot people playing the game at a higher level of play.

1 v 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4lrFk0gSC0
2 v 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZdrlm5ZkQ

Edit: I really like the 2 v 2 video because of the defence that Kratos and Radec mount up at around the 1:36 mark where Radec play's ranged and Kratos is essentially covering him from being rushed down.

Hmm looks like team attack is off. Does this game have an option to turn it on?

TheMink

Wait a minute, in the bioshock stage omar said raidens counter is nuetral circle, does that mean the site was wrong and hes got a regular block?

SmithnCo

So why have big daddy but use a infinite stage?

I guess to advertise Infinite. But Big Daddy is the most recognizable Bioshock character so it makes sense to have him as playable. It is weird though, I wish Rapture was the invasion instead of Columbia again.

I guess to advertise Infinite. But Big Daddy is the most recognizable Bioshock character so it makes sense to have him as playable. It is weird though, I wish Rapture was the invasion instead of Columbia again.

Playing through Bioshock now I must say I agree, really liking it

Akainu

Right. So a lot of this is publisher strong arming?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

While I like the idea from a pure "see what my character can do!" standpoint, I think it'd weaken the characters unique moveset personality, and really kinda over-complicate the game.

The game overall to me still feels very "Capcom Like" in balancing; characters are given obvious niches. Giving everyone a total of 9 supers would basically make everyone able to do everything, in one way, or another.

If I had to think of an expansion to the super system, I'd rather see alt supers, that, instead of killing, lead to AP stealing / destroying. They'd follow the same rules and hitboxes of the Super they're based on, but would have different graphical representation. So Maybe Sweet Tooth's lvl 2 would shoot a different rocket, or Fat princess would Get picked up by her minions and rushed across the screen, rather than her chasing cake.

It'd allow for more unique animations and personality to be given to the characters, but not in a way that would totally destroy their personal niches.

If one wanted to make more versions of a same character, I'd even propose EX Versions, or Unique characters from the game series that get these additional movesets. A Carmelita that has a modified version of Sly's moveset, and her own voice samples, for example, would actually be pretty cool.

For example, Kratos:

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

Good idea. I was thinking if they want to add some real depth, they should have an L1 modifier. If you hold L1 while attacking you have access to more attacks on X, circle and square.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I think it'd have been cool if Elizabeth was a playable character, and that's totally not because my best friend's friend voices her in the game. Lol. I think she'd have a cool move set, but I guess that's what DLC is for.

Still, Big Daddy is very iconic, and instantly recognizable, as I remember Bioshock being one of the big new titles of this generation, along with Gears of War and Mass Effect. Basically, those three were the poster children for Unreal Engine 3 for the longest time.

EDIT: at SAB, I totally understand where you're coming from, but I don't think 9 supers at a player's disposal would ruin their niche. Looking at the mock Kratos expanded supers (6 additional supers), they don't do anything that takes away from his niche as a mid to close range brawler. I even kept his Typhon's Bane Super as a mid range attack, so he's not stepping on Radec's toes, or any other long range character. I'm thinking more along the lines of the entire roster, as opposed to the 6 player roster in the beta, which, sure, if only those 6 characters were present in the game, I can see how there could be some overlap as far as niches. But having played the final code of the game, with all 20 characters, and I've fought against just about everyone in that roster, I don't think an expanded Super system would hurt anything. It's just giving more options to the player, and opening up more strategy to make it just that much more complex and deeper of a fighter.

The game works on two levels, as a straight forward, 4 player brawler, and secondly, as a more tactical, strategic, almost "traditional" fighter. Expanded Supers cater to the latter, while the former can still play it straight. Also, these are ideas for a sequel, and I would have it be just one more optional setting in the game's options. If you want to play "Classic All Stars," you can, but if you want, you can play the newer style, with the extra supers. I'm curious to see what PBR will evolve into as far as Sequels go. This first attempt is already fuck awesome.

I've definitely decided to main Ratchet instead of Kratos in the final game. I'm surprised at how much Ratchet fit my playstyle better than Kratos does.

EDIT: @ Chuck, that could be really cool too. That would really open up the moveset like crazy. Lol.

SmithnCo

I think it'd have been cool if Elizabeth was a playable character, and that's totally not because my best friend's friend voices her in the game. Lol. I think she'd have a cool move set, but I guess that's what DLC is for.

Still, Big Daddy is very iconic, and instantly recognizable, as I remember Bioshock being one of the big new titles of this generation, along with Gears of War and Mass Effect. Basically, those three were the poster children for Unreal Engine 3 for the longest time.

Yeah, I was thinking that Elizabeth would be cool if they ever consider a second Bioshock rep. Her powers would be pretty neat in a fighting game. I guess she could also be in a team with Booker.

If theres a sequel what secondary characters would you want to the roster? Infamous would ofc get shafted ;).

Ultimate question is of course: Captain or Doctor?

Lammy and Sully are shoeins ofc. Fuck Elena.

not easy choice but I guess I'd go with Nefarious
Also if based Harada will retain support I definately would want Yoshimitsu. Great secondary rep and SC rep all in one!

So for the inevitable sequel (it's gonna happen right?!), I was thinking what my dream roster would be. Keeping to the same ratio of first and third party selections, and adhering the 1 IP/1 character rule, here's what it would look like...

RobbitResize.jpg
GabeLogan.jpg
Chimera.png
Rose.jpg
Alundra.jpg
Wander-1.jpg
Ellen.jpg
Iota.jpg
Kat.jpg
NormanJayden.jpg

RudyRoughnight.jpg
Vibri.jpg
Lammy.jpg
Kutaro.jpg
IcoYorda.jpg
JeannedArc.jpg
CrashBandicoot.jpg
OldSnake.jpg
SpyroTheDragon.jpg
CloudStrife.jpg

Too soon?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So for the inevitable sequel (it's gonna happen right?!), I was thinking what my dream roster would be. Keeping to the same ratio of first and third party selections, and adhering the 1 IP/1 character rule, here's what it would look like...

RobbitResize.jpg
GabeLogan.jpg
Chimera.png
Rose.jpg
Alundra.jpg
Wander-1.jpg
Ellen.jpg
Iota.jpg
Kat.jpg
NormanJayden.jpg

RudyRoughnight.jpg
Vibri.jpg
Lammy.jpg
Kutaro.jpg
IcoYorda.jpg
JeannedArc.jpg
CrashBandicoot.jpg
OldSnake.jpg
SpyroTheDragon.jpg
CloudStrife.jpg

Too soon?

I like that list, but I'd drop Jayden and replace him with Rau Utu, or his sister Tati. Or Jaster Rogue, or Max/Monica, or Jen Tate.

I just don't think a Heavy Rain rep as a fighter would be interesting. I think a Heavy Rain background would be cool, though. Maybe something sat in ARI, like the Underwater one, or the One set in the fall. Actually, I'd have the fight cycle through all 3, and then have it get mashed up with something like Journey, or Flower, or Pixel Junk Eden/Monsters. Lol.

Too soon?

Hm, even though I didnt really like the idea of Chimera, the Resistance weapons are pretty cool. I'd like to see Wander, Spyro, Crash, Snake, and Cloud really badly, I think Iota would serve better as an alt costume to Sackboy, but Kutaro would be awesome.

For a sequel, I'd love a focus on tag teams.

Tag team story mode, tag team moves, tag team challenge modes, team modes (like in tekken where you play 1v1, but with a team of 8, or 1v1 with an ability to switch players on the fly) maybe tag supers if they modified the concept.

Either that, or get some kind of faction war like PSOne/2 versus PS3 and PS4, or West vs. East, Good vs. Bad.

I mean, speaking more than roster, what else could they add for a sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom