• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I agree, but I honestly doubt Nintendo gives much of a shit, not unless this has some seriously massive amazing feature or content that blows people away and starts eating up their sales. And I mean that in a bad way. Nintendo too often exists in its own little bubble and, in the grand scheme of things, would know very well that Smash will still sell regardless of what this does right.

What I'm saying is this could have an incredible single player campaign, and it (annoyingly) wouldn't guaranty the next Smash would.

i really do hope it does have a great single player game. i always wanted something more from smash bros in that regard :(

Tookay

Whenever I play Super Smash Bros with friends I'll often go up against someone who is way better than me or vise versa, and you just end up getting the shit knocked out of you and eventually you are out of lives and you just sit and watch the better dudes while you wait for the next round to play again.

Oh, so you're the guy that Sakurai had in mind while making Brawl.

Thanks.

Oh, so you're the guy that Sakurai had in mind while making Brawl.

Thanks.
What's wrong with making a game more accessible? Sure Sakurai may have approached it wrong but that doesn't mean there doesn't exist a way to do it that will satisfy both parties. Perhaps this new idea from Superbot is it, maybe not.

guek

Banned
Honestly I think this is a great way to add to the accessibility while retaining the depth.

Whenever I play Super Smash Bros with friends I'll often go up against someone who is way better than me or vise versa, and you just end up getting the shit knocked out of you and eventually you are out of lives and you just sit and watch the better dudes while you wait for the next round to play again.

The super simple easy way to solve this problem is to play timed matches instead of stock. It's how my friends and I always played it. Serious grudge matches were stock, playing for fun was always timed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The backgrounds look damn cool. That's about all I've got. Hey, if its a good game, who cares if its a rip off? Its a four player fighters for PS3 owners which they may enjoy.

7117662167_81279679ec_o.png
[/QUOTE]

Game needs more style!

Majine

Banned
Wait, this is real? For the longest time I thought this was just a joke, or atleast a push from a vocal minority that wants it. Judging by the screeens, this is China-level ripoff. Absolutely shameless.

Oh well, I'm sure it'll be fun.

Raonak

Banned
Hahaha, blatant smash bros copy. didn't realise they were gonna make it this similar.

regardless, im basically a playstation fanboy, whos never played any smash bros games. so this is perfectly targetted at me.
(i have played ragdoll kung foo though, and that seems quite similar to this.)

ZoddGutts

This doesn't look as good as I was hoping for. Something about the graphics don't look impressive. Especially the models for Sly and PaRappa. The game may turn out good, but from what I saw wasn't impressive.

More Smash Bros.? I'm down. Fan-service looks good so far. Including stuff like Parappa goes a long way in my book.

Hoping they can get Crash Bandicoot, for old time's sake.

pramath

Banned
Anyway, so ASBR looks good. I mean, I'm not sure if it looks as good as Smash- to be fair, Smash Bros has a three game headstart on ASBR- but it looks fun enough that I'll definitely buy it.
In any case, I look at this more as a sort of coming of age for Sony's first party. Where it's strong, varied and versatile enough that they can have their own crossover fighter. A celebration of all things Playstation (like a celebration of all things Nintendo with SSB). Can't wait to see how well this does.

Elixist

Anyway, so ASBR looks good. I mean, I'm not sure if it looks as good as Smash- to be fair, Smash Bros has a three game headstart on ASBR- but it looks fun enough that I'll definitely buy it.
In any case, I look at this more as a sort of coming of age for Sony's first party. Where it's strong, varied and versatile enough that they can have their own crossover fighter. A celebration of all things Playstation (like a celebration of all things Nintendo with SSB). Can't wait to see how well this does.

Agreed. Shameless rip-off and questionable stage mash-ups aside, this looks extremely solid to me and an impressive first effort for Superbot, cant wait to see more. I'm thinking I'll dig on Radec looks fun to jet pack around an shoot some bros in da face!

JimiNutz

Banned
Just saw the video. Holy shit, this is shameless lol.
Its unbelievable how similar they appear. The floaty feel of the characters, the way they fly through the air when hit and bounce of walls when stunned. If someone quickly showed me a small clip of the video and told me it was a smash bros for Wii U I wouldn't really question it.

Still I suppose there are always similar games. Medal of Honor looks similar to COD etc.

Endo Punk

I have played Smash melee and really enjoyed it, unless I have Battle Royale in my hands and playing it I can't say it's a rip-off. So many games look similar but the gameplay and how it feels is the deciding factor. Has any article claimed that this game plays exactly like Smash Bros?

vareon

Feels very similar to Smash Bros. Good thing actually, since this game should be fun and Sakurai will innovate with Smash Bros.

Hero

Hahahahahahaha, wow, that is completely and utterly shameless.

How the hell can anyone get mad after seeing that? It's so bad it's good, like walking into a Chinese store's toy aisle and seeing this on the shelf:

46233.jpg

Shaneus

All this is doing is setting up the inevitable thread when Smash Bros. appears on WiiU in 1080p, then Sony fanboys can get their own back when it's claimed that Ninty copied Sony in doing a fighting game-thing in HD.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, i only got to page 3 so far (100 ppp), but since a lot of people have been complaining about the outlines/auras on the characters, i wanted to mention something i have noticed while watching the footage. Obviously the outlines aren't always there and when they are not all characters have them, so i rewatched the footage to find clues about when they are used and when not. The outlines only appear when a character's super bar is full (with full i mean at level 1 at least), so the outline seems to be a visual clue to let the player know they have a super stored. Not the most elegant solution, but i don't think the outlines are there to make the characters easier to see on some of the backgrounds, like some have speculated. Perhaps they thought it would be less distracting for the player than having to look at the bottom of the screen for a flashing bar in the middle of the action.

Edit: Apparently a couple of posters have noticed it too.

Darknight

Sony smash! Awesome.

Also its hilarious we've known about this rumor/game and people are getting shocked how similar to SSB it is? A little, "salty" are we? It obviously will try to mimic SSB if its trying to do the same thing. This was meant to happen, lol. It either was way off or really similar. Thankfully it looks very similar so its bound to be a decent SSB clone on a different system.

Characters and stages are not copying any assets from Nintendo/SSB so for people to try to say its infringing/a copy cat/stealing are just a little too caught up in foolish debates. Whether its a good/bad game is yet to be known so idk about that.

Garjon

It truly is a shameless rip off. Which goes some way to explaining why I want to play it quite badly.

In all honesty, I was expecting a 3D birds eye view style brawler or something similar. I could never expected anything like this. I don't mind rip offs at all when there are so few of that type of game on the market. If SSB was somehow released for the PS3 then it would of course be a different matter.

It's a rip-off, but what a rip-off! Love seeing that LBP stage being constructed while the fighters are brawling. And watching the GameTrailers vid, it was promising to hear from the two guys that played it that it looks a lot like SSB on the surface, but plays a whole lot differently.

Anyway, I'm fond of way more Sony characters than I am Nintendo ones, so all that awaits now is the final roster to see who they included.

Empty

can't really get over how ugly this looks. i'd rather it varied more from the smash bros formula, but it's still a solid basis like mario kart was for crash team racing and there's a lot of personality you can get from sony related characters and fan service yet it's squandered by the art direction. the character design - parappa :( - the muddiness, the outline on each character, just make it so unappealing to me.

i'm not a huge fan of smash bros really but it's making me appreciate what that game does to tie together the franchises into a coherant package.

Top Bottom