• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

Fabrik

Banned
Wow Sony is shameless.

image.php

NBtoaster

The art style is clean and appears to faithfully recreate the source material. What do people expect?

The bloom in the shot of the Jak level is bad but others look fine.

6971584906_369b96d28a_o.png

edit: guess they missed the screen tear there

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Reveal could have unveiled a few more characters, but we get the picture. It's fucking Sony Smash Bros. Not sure what everyone else was expecting.

I had assumed being "Sony Smash Bros" just meant "A game with a bunch of Sony characters in it."

I'm kind of uncomfortable with how much this game looks exactly like Smash Bros.

test_account

XP-39C²
Seeing the anger towards this Battle Royale game, i didnt know that so many people here didnt like Smash Bros. Or are people more afraid that this Battle Royale game will be mega successful and make upcoming Smash Bros games sell much less?

Moaradin

I had assumed being "Sony Smash Bros" just meant "A game with a bunch of Sony characters in it."

I'm kind of uncomfortable with how much this game looks exactly like Smash Bros.

It's pretty obvious this is a flat out rip-off. The whole concept was taken from Smash Bros.

Seeing the anger towards this Battle Royale game, i didnt know that so many people here didnt like Smash Bros. Or are people more afraid that this Battle Royale game will be mega successful and make upcoming Smash Bros games sell much less?

What the hell are you even talking about? I'd bet a six month ban that this doesn't sell 1million in its first year.

According to those who've played it, it looks a lot like Smash Bros. on the surface but it's very different when you play it

I'm guessing it's about as much Smash Bros as Tekken is Virtua Fighter

how are they going to advertise this?
People will just think it's a Smash Bros clone, and you can't exactly explain on a commercial "why this game isn't Smash Bros!" so what people perceive is what they will think the game is.

I'm curious to see how they market this, if they totally ignore that this looks exactly like Sony Smash Bros, or if they try to point out the differences. Either way, having to base your ad campaign on the defensive (why this game isn't Smash Bros) sounds like it's spelling danger.

Grecco

Why would this game affect the sales of Smash?

BadWolf

People will just think it's a Smash Bros clone, and you can't exactly explain on a commercial "why this game isn't Smash Bros!" so what people perceive is what they will think the game is.

I'm curious to see how they market this, if they totally ignore that this looks exactly like Sony Smash Bros, or if they try to point out the differences. Either way, having to base your ad campaign on the defensive (why this game isn't Smash Bros) sounds like it's spelling danger.

Who cares? Its not like one FPS/TPS/fighter/platformer won't sell because its similar to another in look or style.

Its like saying Bayonetta is a bad game and wouldn't sell just because its similar in overall feel to Devil May Cry.

They will advertise it via the stenght of first and third party characters, this is what the game is about. Playing your fave characters from various games.

test_account

XP-39C²
What the hell are you even talking about? I'd bet a six month ban that this doesn't sell 1million in its first year.
I'm wondering why some people seems to be upset that this Battle Royale game excist. If they like the gameplay in Smash Bros, why mind a clone? This is far from the first Smash Bros clone. Or are they afraid that Battle Royale will overshadow Smash Bros in sales? Just wondering what they are upset about.

Why would this game affect the sales of Smash?
I didnt say that, i asked a question. I'm just wondering what the source is to why someone is upset about Battle Royale.

No because there's no game design involved on those cases. Smash Bros was original and unique.
Every game/genre have been original and unique at some point. There excist many Smash Bros clones, so this game is no longer unique (as in being the only game that is like this).

Haunted

C'mon, think a bit about this. The characters are the obvious USP.

A large majority of people love Melee/Brawl because they can duke it out with their favourite characters from different games, they don't give a shit about mechanics. It's true that Nintendo has a deeper well and larger base (simply going by history and sales), but it's not like Sony doesn't have anything. This is simply tapping into their own well.

Sure would be funny if they decide to go completely head-to-head with the ads, though, like Sega does what Nintendon't or Blur dissing Mario Kart. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm just disappointed Geoff didn't open the interview by saying "So it's basically Smash Bros with Sony characters right?". Guess he only saves his witty banter for his lover Reggie.

KevinCow

Banned
Because I'm crazy.

BTW I think Nintendo should sue.

Should Nintendo also sue everyone who's ever made a kart racer for ripping off Mario Kart? Should id sue everyone who's ever made an FPS for ripping off Wolf 3D and Doom? Should Capcom sue everyone who's ever made a fighting game for ripping off Street Fighter? And those Street Fighter clones are usually way closer to Street Fighter than this is to Smash.

Games copy other games. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Games wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't borrow or blatantly steal ideas from each other and evolve them.

can't really get over how ugly this looks. i'd rather it varied more from the smash bros formula, but it's still a solid basis like mario kart was for crash team racing and there's a lot of personality you can get from sony related characters and fan service yet it's squandered by the art direction. the character design - parappa :( - the muddiness, the outline on each character, just make it so unappealing to me.

i'm not a huge fan of smash bros really but it's making me appreciate what that game does to tie together the franchises into a coherant package.

I love smash bros and I am a fan of a lot of Sony franchises so I was really excited to see this but the horrible graphics are making it hard to get to excited. Hopefully it is still really early and they will go back and change them up a lot.

They don't have to base their marketing around Smash Bros at all. lol

This isn't the first Smash Bros. clone and it won't be the last

test_account

XP-39C²
I think the problem many have with this game is that it's such a blatant copy. At least as first glance it looks even more like a copy than some of Gameloft's titles.
There is no denying that it looks similar to Smash Bros, but doesnt this goes for a lot of other games as well? I.e, looking at the latest Medal of Honor trailer, it could easily look like a CoD game. Or if Battle Royale had been more like a 1 vs 1 game, would people have said that it looked like a blatant Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat copy?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I knew they were making something like Smash Brothers, but I didn't think for a second it would look like an exact clone of Smash Brothers.

Top Bottom