• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation CEO Confirms They Worked With Activision on PS5 Haptics Development

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Jim-Ryan-PlayStation-5-1536x864.jpg

The CEO revealed that Activision had actually worked on the PS5’s DualSense controllers’ haptic feedback, and that such a collaboration is only made possible when developers are not owned by a competitor. Ryan also mentioned an email that Xbox head Phil Spencer had sent to him in August last year, which apparently “set off alarm bells” on Xbox’s actions following the approval of the ABK acquisition had it gone through.

Tams

I if I were the CEO of Microsoft, I'd fire the entire top level Xbox management.

Not only are they trying to spend a massive, if not greatly significant for Microsoft, amount on a single publisher, but they have now racked up considerable legal fees, pissed off regulators in several countries, encouraged other execs to put their foots in their mouths and insult countries, brought the focus of regulators more into the cloud computing area, and seem to be dragging the Xbox and Microsoft names through the mud.

And they seem to have 'incriminated' themselves multiple times in hard evidence.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

When the deal goes through and they buy more companies innovation will fly out the window and things like the dual sense will be a distant memory.

You'll get a basic black box with the same current xbox controller because anything new or innovative is a "gimmick" according to people who are no fun at parties.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I if I were the CEO of Microsoft, I'd fire the entire top level Xbox management.

Not only are they trying to spent a massive, if not greatly significant for Microsoft, amount on a single publisher, but they have now racked up considerable legal fees, pissed off regulators in several countries, encouraged other execs to put their foots in their mouths and insult countries, brought the focus of regulators more into the cloud computing area, and seem to be dragging the Xbox and Microsoft names through the mud.

And they seem to have 'incriminated' themselves multiple times in hard evidence.
what if they succeed with the merger , i reckon all will be forgotten

Guilty_AI

When the deal goes through and they buy more companies innovation will fly out the window and things like the dual sense will be a distant memory.

You'll get a basic black box with the same current xbox controller because anything new or innovative is a "gimmick" according to people who are no fun at parties.
if cool vibrations is our standard for innovation, we are already doomed

ZehDon

Gold Member
For me, this highlights Sony's overreliance on Call of Duty more than it highlights a potential issue post-ABK purchase. I'd have expected Sony's own storied developers more than capable of providing this kind of insight.

Kind of getting tired about reading all this sony xbox stuff. It's anti competitive blah blah blah. All bullshit at this point.

Big business is like chess right? Well it feels that Sony felt hurt that Xbox made a big move in trying to acquire Activision. So what do they do? Try and legally stop it.

Sorry, but when this is the argument, no platform holder can buy any publisher again.
And thats exactly the whole point of this situation

Sony knows they are fine without cod, Hurt ther sales but are fine

They really want to have a precedent in court so Microsoft or any tech company cant buy any big publisher, so they can prevent a publisher buying war

Imagine what happen if Rockstar or EA are next

Thats what Sony really is fighting and Bethesda was a wakeup call

Pelta88

Phil is so eager to speak. Give him a Microphone or a camera and he's in his element. If he just shut the fuck up, stopped emailing the competition and telegraphing his moves there would have been zero push back. But he had to say something. He couldn't resist the chance to gloat, irrespective of the fact that the acquisition hadn't gone through and wasn't a certainty.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Yes and it's in this context that he said he wouldn't share the PS6 or PS5 Pro specs in advance with Activision if it belonged to Xbox.
Activision knew about the haptics while it was being developed because they were a part of it coming together.
Knowing this in advance would have given Microsoft a heads up to match that ability.

For me, this highlights Sony's overreliance on Call of Duty more than it highlights a potential issue post-ABK purchase. I'd have expected Sony's own storied developers more than capable of providing this kind of insight.
I dunno about that... much of the time, large corporations can have a high degree of insularity and not be able to tell the forest from the trees. Sony worked with Studio Bend on the VITA and we ended up with backtouch

Eotheod

I really doubt Microsoft or Sony don't know what each other is cooking, how else do they get near similar builds? That isn't coincidence, that's market knowledge of your competitors.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I dunno about that... much of the time, large corporations can have a high degree of insularity and not be able to tell the forest from the trees. Sony worked with Studio Bend on the VITA and we ended up with backtouch
Well, in their defense, they were kinda close on that one; back paddles on my Xbox Elite controller and Steam Deck are actually pretty great.

Three

I really doubt Microsoft or Sony don't know what each other is cooking, how else do they get near similar builds? That isn't coincidence, that's market knowledge of your competitors.
They know some details and I'm sure industrial espionage happens too but the near similar builds is because they have the same SoC suppliers and a target device cost.

Last edited:
Well, in their defense, they were kinda close on that one; back paddles on my Xbox Elite controller and Steam Deck are actually pretty great.
Yes, paddles are great, back buttons are great... back touch - not so much. Back buttons existed long before any of that though. I remember seeing them for the first time with SCUF controllers in the early 20-teens

mrmustard

Banned
Well you got a price range you have to work with and you only get so many components for it. So of course it's +- comparable.
I think if they find out something, it's very late. The PS5 cooling system size and and the whole size always looked weird to me. Maybe they found out about the TF of Xbox and wanted to last minute ocerclock, maybe not. We'll never know.

Three

Yes and it's in this context that he said he wouldn't share the PS6 or PS5 Pro specs in advance with Activision if it belonged to Xbox.
Activision knew about the haptics while it was being developed because they were a part of it coming together.
Knowing this in advance would have given Microsoft a heads up to match that ability.
According to Tom Warren MS were even keeping details from third parties to surprise Sony. Now imagine MS having to hand over dev kits to Sony directly instead. No way would they do that.
You can even see now MS responding late to some of the Playstation controller design decisions. Like the share button they added later, and a mic mute button like the Dualsense is rumoured to come.

lordrand11

And thats exactly the whole point of this situation

Sony knows they are fine without cod, Hurt ther sales but are fine

They really want to have a precedent in court so Microsoft or any tech company cant buy any big publisher, so they can prevent a publisher buying war

Imagine what happen if Rockstar or EA are next

Thats what Sony really is fighting and Bethesda was a wakeup call
Sony will do it themselves too. Sony is fighting this because a lot of their brand is tied into ABK and they don't have the value to throw at it for purchase because they've spent too much of their money only worrying about paying for exclusivity.

kaizenkko

Kind of getting tired about reading all this sony xbox stuff. It's anti competitive blah blah blah. All bullshit at this point.

Big business is like chess right? Well it feels that Sony felt hurt that Xbox made a big move in trying to acquire Activision. So what do they do? Try and legally stop it.
Sony is trying to do what any company in their place would do. But yeah, despite the good memes, I'm tired too.

Fredrik

Been tired about it since the start. It hurt all other discussions, so many are drawn into platform warring now. Previously everything about the ABK deal was in one thread but I think I have nearly 20 threads on ignore now and new ones pop up almost every day, it’s impossible to avoid.

Can’t there be a separate forum category for the business side of the hobby? exclusives and sales figures and market share talk etc

Guilty_AI

I guess you haven't been playing consoles games long? These are the types of innovations you get. Rumble, haptics and motion controls, VR, etc that improves the experience. What did you expect?
Sure, i remember the innovations and influence of the sixaxis

MikeM

if cool vibrations is our standard for innovation, we are already doomed
To each their own. But that controller is a part of why it stands beside my PC, and not a Series X.

People can scream gimmicks etc, but Sony is at least trying things. Dualsense and PSVR 2 being some major ones. I welcome more innovation, something we all should even if they don’t appeal to everyone.

Guilty_AI

I guess you haven't been playing consoles games long? These are the types of innovations you get. Rumble, haptics and motion controls, VR, etc that improves the experience. What did you expect?
Dunno? The analog stick was a great addition to standard controllers, so was the second analog stick. Something like that, thats actually useful and vastly expands the possibility of control in games. Maybe something like the mouse/touchpad that steam controllers/deck has?

Ansphn

Dunno? The analog stick was a great addition to standard controllers, so was the second analog stick. Something like that, thats actually useful and vastly expands the possibility of control in games. Maybe something like the mouse/touchpad that steam controllers/deck has?
Exactly my point. The innovations are not drastic and it seems you understand this so why did you downplay the duel sense features? Have you used a duel sense controller?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
You can't limit your user research to only internal stakeholders. You have to go outside if you're able to - and in this case, they're able to.

Why would you not go to the publisher/developer of the most popular FPS series on the market to get their feedback on something that is integral to their own games (the right trigger)?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony won't take Activision lightly even if the deal doesn't get through. I think Sony should consider marketing XDefiant or other games instead as casuals just jump on the new shiny thing with COD being stagnant creatively.

But Sony has their slate of AAA GAAS coming out in 2024 so..........would that be smart?

Top Bottom