• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Will No Longer Disclose Future Consoles (PS6) With Activision If Buyout Deal Closes

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PlayStation-6-PS6-1536x864.jpg

This piece of news comes from news site Axio’s own Stephen Totilo, who posted the docs on Twitter detailing that Jim Ryan stated that they would no longer be able to share confidential information around upcoming consoles with Activision should the buyout deal go through for Microsoft.

Q: Do you think that this collaboration with Activision has lead to better features on PlayStation’s Gen 5 consoles?

Jim Ryan: I believe that to be the case.

Q: If you look at the next sentence of the very last sentence on the page, that reads: This partnership would be lost. And it goes on to the next page, it continues: Once Microsoft acquired Activision and SIE could no longer share confidential details about its next console in development. Do you see that language?

Jim Ryan: I do.

Q: Why could SIE no longer share confidential details about its next console and development once Microsoft acquired Activision?

Jim Ryan: We simply could not run the risk of a company that was owned by a direct competitor having access to that information.

Q What would be the risk of your direct competitor having access to that information?

Answer: REDACTED

Q: Looking at the next sentence that reads: Even if some Activision games remained on PlayStation, SIE could not share in-development console features with a Microsoft controlled Activision and Activision would have less of an incentive to develop its games to take advantage of unique Playstation features or help SIE develop better consoles. Do you see that language?

Jim Ryan: I do.

Q: Why, in your view, would Activision have less of an incentive to develop its games to take advantage of unique PlayStation features or help Sony develop better consoles?

Jim Ryan: I believe that Microsoft owned that division would not be incentivized to develop games that take advantage of features that Playstation has or that Xbox does not have?

Q Why do you think that a Microsoft-owned Activision would not be incentivized to do that?

Jim Ryan: I believe that their incentives– their primary incentive will, at post-acquisition, would be to optimize its overall Xbox business, not the business of Activision.

NlcBBri.jpg

It’s understandable reasoning, as you wouldn’t want someone you’re competing with to have information on what you’re doing next. But this goes without saying that it’s also ironic, as Bungie was and still is a multiplatform developer that PlayStation now owns. Of course, not knowing the whole story of all this, that could also be the case too, where Microsoft isn’t sharing details with Bungie anymore, but then this would just be more of business, a usual kind of situation.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
It makes sense - sending PlayStation 6 information to a Microsoft-owned first party developer isn't an intelligent move.

With that said, Ryan's response highlights the Impossible Task they've clearly tried to create for Microsoft. They were demanding parity in the event Microsoft buys ABK, keeping versions of Call of Duty the same across platforms. They're expressly going to stop sharing information, meaning COD's developers wouldn't have all the info they'd need to make the PlayStation version as good as Xbox's because Sony simply didn't provide it. How could ABK keep parity without this information, at least within the release of the new console generation?

I sure hope this all ends soon :(

Pallas

Gold Member

Its objectively bad for gaming.

Also imagine thinking the industry would be the same without PlayStation.

Shit as soon as they pulled out from E3, it was on life support and died a quick death.

I’m not really pro acquisition(aside of it being convient to having past CoD titles being on gamepass at some point down the line)but I don’t think this would spell doom for Sony if it does succeed.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How is that a bad opinion :messenger_tears_of_joy:? Its literally factual.

They sell the most consoles. Therefore it IS BAD for console gaming.

Denying this is pure fanboy hogwash feynoob feynoob we should trade tags.

Your logic = if iPhones stopped existing tomorrow, it wouldnt be bad for Smartphones, because Androids still exist. The smartphone market without iPhone isn't the same. PlayStation is the same thing for gaming.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Is it me or whoever that interviewer is, is stupid?

A- if I am getting robbed with a gun pointed at my head, I will just hand over the money.

Q- do you feel if you don't you may get shot in the head?

A - Yes, I do. And the wallet is not worth dying for.

Q - Why do you think you will die?

A- Cause I was shot in the head.

Q - So if you die, what would you do next?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
How is that a bad opinion :messenger_tears_of_joy:? Its literally factual.

They sell the most consoles. Therefore it IS BAD for console gaming.

Denying this is pure fanboy hogwash feynoob feynoob we should trade tags.

Your logic = if iPhones stopped existing tomorrow, it wouldnt be bad for Smartphones, because Androids still exist. The smartphone market without iPhone isn't the same. PlayStation is the same thing for gaming.
Man, gaming is beyond playstation.
No one cares if PS sells a lot of consoles or not.

If you only care about PS, it means that you don't give a crap about the rest of gaming.
That is pure console mentality.

The deal is bad for overall gaming, not just your playstation.

I am more worried about Amazon and Google buying those 3rd party devs as they have history of making shit bad. That is what will happen if the deal gets approved.

Last edited:
Is it me or whoever that interviewer is, is stupid?

A- if I am getting robbed with a gun pointed at my head, I will just hand over the money.

Q- do you feel if you dont you may get shot in the head?

A - Yes, I do. And the wallet is not worth dying for.

Q - Why do you think you wi die?

A- Cause I was shot in the head.

Q - So if you die, what would you do next?
It’s from a hearing, where the lawyer makes everything watertight and super clear for a judge and jury.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

Its objectively bad for gaming.

Also imagine thinking the industry would be the same without PlayStation.

Shit as soon as they pulled out from E3, it was on life support and died a quick death.

In order to be healthy the industry needs multiple companies competing against each other. The industry would be worse without xbox or Nintendo as well.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
In order to be healthy the industry needs multiple companies competing against each other.
Yes. Agreed. But using your trillionaire status to just buy out entire publishers is not healthy competition. The industry needs healthy competition. Not simply buying out entire publishers.
The industry would be worse without xbox or Nintendo as well.
Of course. Any of the big 3 fail to compete and the industry is worse off for it. Point blank.
It boggles my mind how theres gamers in here trying to tell me that if Sony stopped competing, it would be good for gaming. Like what the fuck are you talking about?
I honestly think my tag needs to be shared with about 88 other people here.

Top Bottom