• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Gets Guinness World Record for Best-Selling Home Console Brand (Over 450M Units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelastword

Banned
PsoB6LY.png

Sony just announced to have received a Guinness World Record certificate as the best-selling home console brand of all time, with over 450 million units (over the four generations) as tracked by VGChartz until November 7th, 2019.

The original PlayStation console debuted in Japan on December 3rd, 1994, though North America and Europe wouldn't get it until September 1995. It is believed to have shipped around 102 million units and a half, becoming the first home console to do so in the history of the games industry.

Its followup, the PlayStation 2, launched in Japan on March 4th, 2000 and again shipped in the Fall season to Western countries (October 26th, 2000 in North America; November 24th, 2000 in Europe). It is still the best-selling home console of all time with an estimated 155 million units sold.

The third generation had a tougher time than Sony anticipated. PlayStation 3 launched a year after Microsoft's Xbox 360, on November 2006 (though Europe only got it in March 2007) and it was priced much higher ($499 with a 20GB hard drive, $599 with a 60GB hard drive), mostly due to the built-in Bluray drive. It struggled at first, trailing in sales for quite a while, and only managed to catch up with the Xbox 360 at the very end of the generation. The PlayStation 3 ended up with about 87 million and a half units sold, by far the lowest of the crop.

Sony has returned to its glory days, commercially at least, with the current PlayStation 4. Launching a week before Microsoft's Xbox One, it benefited from Microsoft's pre-release mistakes in the way of communication as Xbox executives had tried to position the console as an all-in-one entertainment device rather than a gaming platform first and foremost. The PlayStation 4 also cost less than its competitor ($399 vs $499, until Microsoft dropped the Kinect to even the price) while being more powerful in terms of hardware specifications.

To date, the PlayStation 4 sold over 102 million units. It probably won't get to the PlayStation 2 levels, but it may come close eventually.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-ge...t-selling-home-console-brand-over-450m-units/

ZQHNnOz.png

Two great guys....My personal hero on the left.....That man is the father of PlayStation and has given us 3/4 of the PS consoles we've enjoyed...….The father of PlayStation...….Much thanks and Love to Ken Kutaragi…….

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You should look before you post.

You weren’t even second with this news.
But number one in excitement!

Disregarding the VGChartz thing, this probably is not even recent, right? The only alternative would be Nintendo who only had three successful home consoles. Sony should have had this spot (by real numbers, rather than butt numbers) for years already.

Kagey K

Banned
But number one in excitement!

Disregarding the VGChartz thing, this probably is not even recent, right? The only alternative would be Nintendo who only had three successful home consoles. Sony should have had this spot (by real numbers, rather than butt numbers) for years already.
I’m pretty sure they held this same spot since the Gaming Edition of Guiness came out In 15. Not sure why this year is a big deal, unless it’s to help advertise the sponsor.

Psykodad

Banned
I’m pretty sure they held this same spot since the Gaming Edition of Guiness came out In 15. Not sure why this year is a big deal, unless it’s to help advertise the sponsor.
Today is PlayStation's 25th birthday. This is just part of the celebration.

No need to look deeper into it.

thelastword

Banned
You should look before you post.

You weren’t even second with this news.
I Always do......There was none when I started making the thread......I guess I took a bit longer because I hosted the pics in the OP and resized them in an editor......Anyways, great milestone for PS notwithstanding......I do disagree with the article in one aspect though, the last line.....I think PS4 will sell more than PS2 in the end....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom