• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Media Showcase 2017 - 30th October (Paris Games Week)

Nestunt

If a strong association with FIFA and lower price couldn't help Xbox from suffering a 10:1 gap between it and PlayStation 4 in some EU countries as well almost zero presence in software charts, I'm not sure how you believe a more expensive box would suddenly undo all of that.

I don't believe that. I was just stating that is logical for Sony to not be absent from these shows, while MS is flexing their marketing muscle.

Because Europe is an important territory and not everything needs/should be announced during US based events.
Eh, I'm not in the US but I also think E3, TGS and PSX should be the focus. Otherwise they spread themselves too thin. PSX is held in a EU friendly time too.
Since I never attend these events I don't care where they are held, only the content itself matters.

Yeah, I'm also not in the US and I think that they should just focus on E3 and PSX. Having a couple of strong shows per year is better than 3-4 "eh.... okay" conferences.

bombshell

I don't believe that. I was just stating that is logical for Sony to not be absent from these shows, while MS is flexing their marketing muscle.

Sony are not absent from Gamescom this year nor were they last year or the year before. They will have the same big show floor presence as always.

Microsoft are not having a Gamescom conference either, in fact they have 0 for the rest of the year while Sony have 3, so I'm not sure what upcoming marketing muscle you're referring to.

Nestunt

Sony are not absent from Gamescom this year nor were they last year or the year before. They will have the same big show floor presence as always.

Microsoft are not having a Gamescom conference either, in fact they have 0 for the rest of the year while Sony have 3, so I'm not sure what upcoming marketing muscle you're referring to.

My bad. I was convinced MS was going to have a conference in Europe, due to what they said after E3.

pastrami

My bad. I was convinced MS was going to have a conference in Europe, due to what they said after E3.

I checked and they are doing a live show before Gamescom. Not a press conference, but it is something.

Pretty surprised Sony has a PGW conference though. I wasn't sure there was enough news to warrant so many shows. Especially after last year, when no one had a European conference.

Didn't Microsoft stated, after E3, that they still had some games to show at the European shows?

lol

Microsoft are apparently doing a live show thing at Gamescom but expecting a "strong" showing from them after the E3 they just had would be delusional. At best I'd expect they'll show the same games they had at E3 plus maybe ReCore Definitive Edition and a new Age of Empires announcement.

And there's nothing reactive about this, Microsoft could have the strongest showing they've ever had at Gamescom and it wouldn't change a thing in Europe. Sony are merely going back to the status quo after skipping last year.

Anyway, unexpected but great news. I hated how they completely skipped over a European show last year, so it's nice to hear it's back. I would've by far preferred Gamescom, as the PGW crowd was awful in 2015, but beggars can't be choosers.

Well, there it is. I'm pretty surprised. Especially considering how close that is to PSX. But if they have enough content to show between the two of them, so be it. Looking forward to what is shown but I'll reserve most of my hype for PSX.

N7.Angel

Gamescom is too close from E3, PGW make more sense than Gamescom for constructor, sure PSX is close to that too but I'm confidant about Sony portfolio,they can easily have 3 conf by year.

itsFizz

I expect them to focus on indies and maybe give us some updates on already announced games. Personally I prefer E3 and PSX (yep I want them to "skip" TGS as well).
Finally a PlayStation conference that won't be at 3AM.
Curious but which timezone do you live in to manage and have all three sony conferences at 3 am of your local time? I mean these were the (US) streaming times for their events last year (roughly):
PSX ~10am
E3 ~5pm
and TGS ~2 am

Crash announcements (plz!)
Dreams
Wild
Detroit
God of War
Spider-Man
Horizon Frozen Wilds
VR
Indies

I'd like some more 'Wild' like collaborations announced.

-PS4 Price Cut announced
-Dreams re-revealed with awesome trailer and beta
-Wild Release Date
-Detroit Release Date
-Indies!!!

No price cut. There's no real need to do it when Microsoft doesn't appear to be doing the same and their brand new console is so much more expensive.

Agree on the rest though and I'll add:
- Big GT Sport presence (being relegated to the E3 pre-show was dumb as hell)
- At least one mid-tier title announcement
- New project from Arrowhead

I'd mention Housemarque too but they've just shipped two games, so we'll see. Matterfall was announced way too early with a CG trailer, so it's possible, but I think it'd be a mistake doing that again.

FelipeMGM

Gamescom is too close from E3, PGW make more sense than Gamescom for constructor, sure PSX is close to that too but I'm confidant about Sony portfolio,they can easily have 3 conf by year.

Gamescom this year is 70 days after E3, while PGW will be only 40 days away from PSX

This year GC made more sense

Zukkoyaki

I'm expecting a relatively tame show consisting primarily of games we already know about and the re-emerging of stuff like Dreams and Wild. Probably some new smallish announcements.

RSchmitz

The unknown projects that I'm more interested in are not good fits for PGW.
I'd like to see whatever Japan Studios producers were refering on those new year's interviews and Sucker Punch of course.

I'll gladly take some out of the left field unknown games though. Especially if not VR.

With so many exclusives it's not surprising Sony are having 3 major conferences this year to show off all the content. I'm looking forward to a big Dreams blowout along with an update on WiLD.

That feel when you're in Europe when E3 happens and in Canada when PGW comes in so both head up at shitty hours...

I expect this year to be good since E3 was focused on 2018 games only.

FelipeMGM

Hmm, how big of a presence do you see it have when it's 2 weeks after its release? :p

Ah shit, for some reason I keep thinking PGW is late September, not late October, even though it's in the title.

Still, they could lay out an update/DLC schedule or something.

Another reason why a Gamescom show would have made more sense.

Even no show would be fine really, shove it all in PSX, PGW is just the worst timing IMO

RSchmitz

The good thing about PGW is that it is right before holidays. It's a good time for price cuts. If they don't plan on doing a price cut then idk.

Yeah, I'm also not in the US and I think that they should just focus on E3 and PSX. Having a couple of strong shows per year is better than 3-4 "eh.... okay" conferences.
Yup 2 a year is good for me.

E3

PSX

I don't get it...unless they really have too much content for 2 1:30 minutes shows.

bombshell

Even no show would be fine really, shove it all in PSX, PGW is just the worst timing IMO

PGW is great timing this year to make some game announcements noise just ahead of Xbox One X release.

I wouldn't go as far as saying no show would be fine but yes, I agree that Gamescom would've made more sense. I have no fucking clue why they aren't promoting the hell out of GT Sport at every opportunity they have.

Give me hard release dates for announced software. Not that vague release year shit.

If people didn't bitch and moan every time a game was delayed, they would. But they do, so the vague release windows (if that) are all we get.

Give me hard release dates for announced software. Not that vague release year shit.

And if the game is delayed, you'll be front of the queue to moan.
Game dev is hard, giving release windows is much more flexible to both devs and fans anticipating a launch.

Boke1879

They seemed to do all these shows just fine in 2015 though. No excuse for E3 being as light as it was.

E3 wasn't light at all. You got updates about first party games releasing this year and next year. A new MH game and SotC.

TGS will no doubt focus on Japanese titles. PGW will be about GT Sport and Fifa along with their main stuff.

PSX will most likely showcase indies, first party titles and have new announcements.

Perfect way to make sure your games and platform stay in the news during the 2nd half of the year.

Shin-Ra

Omnomnomnom.

Z64Ttoo.gif

The God

E3 wasn't light at all. You got updates about first party games releasing this year and next year. A new MH game and SotC.

TGS will no doubt focus on Japanese titles. PGW will be about GT Sport and Fifa along with their main stuff.

PSX will most likely showcase indies, first party titles and have new announcements.

Perfect way to make sure your games and platform stay in the news during the 2nd half of the year.

One new multiplatform game and a remake. That's the definition of light.

Yep, basically this. Even if every event isn't packed with big announcements, keep people talking about the platform.

Outside of the platform wars dick waving about who 'won' E3, I wonder if there really is any benefit to stacking all their announcements into fewer big shows vs more lighter shows.

By the time it hits the shelf, would it really have mattered whether game X was announced at E3, TGS, PGW or PSX.

Mikey Jr.

So a month later is PSX......why?

Don't understand the point of this, especially since they didn't do one last year.

It's either

1. They want to counter Scorpio release since that comes a week later.

2. They have a ton of Euro centric news that is a better fit for the Euro audience than it is the American audience.

So a month later is PSX......why?

Don't understand the point of this, especially since they didn't do one last year.

It's either

1. They want to counter Scorpio release since that comes a week later.

2. They have a ton of Euro centric news that is a better fit for the Euro audience than it is the American audience.

It is a bit odd. They're very much in danger of spreading themselves too thin like they did in 2015, with two bloated conferences (PGW & PSX) that left a little to be desired.

Maybe they want to show some love to their most dedicated market (Europe), and I can understand that, but I can't help feeling it'd be better to save all the good stuff and just have another killer PSX show like last year's.

jayu26

European conference is where they put the weird indie and mid tier stuff. Don't expect updates of GOW of Spiderman. Having said that, I are excite for Wild.

Mikey Jr.

European conference is where they put the weird indie and mid tier stuff. Don't expect updates of GOW of Spiderman. Having said that, I are excite for Wild.

Yeah, I could totally see updates to Wild, Gran Turismo, FUCKING DREAMS, Detroit, and Crash Bandicoot.

Top Bottom