• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Media Showcase 2017 - 30th October (Paris Games Week)

Kayant

Yea, hopefuly they will fulfill our Dream
giphy.gif

Guymelef

E3 wasn't light at all. You got updates about first party games releasing this year and next year. A new MH game and SotC.

TGS will no doubt focus on Japanese titles. PGW will be about GT Sport and Fifa along with their main stuff.

PSX will most likely showcase indies, first party titles and have new announcements.

Perfect way to make sure your games and platform stay in the news during the 2nd half of the year.

PGW isn't going to be about a FIFA released one month ago and GT Sport released two weeks ago.
Gamescom would be, not PGW.

I don't know why people says Gamescom would make more sense, at least when PGW happens Destiny, FIFA and GT Sport won't be a thing to promote.

mejin

So a month later is PSX......why?

Don't understand the point of this, especially since they didn't do one last year.

It's either

1. They want to counter Scorpio release since that comes a week later.

2. They have a ton of Euro centric news that is a better fit for the Euro audience than it is the American audience.

1. Nope.
2. They should have more time for indies this time. Euro developers should have their time to shine too with updates and announcements. And of course, Sony should have something for their strong market too. I expect PSX to have more japanese games localizations, more indies and some big first party.

Colony Wars VR would force me to buy a PSVR.

And G-Police VR, too! I can hope...

If Dreams doesn't get a big chunk of time, a release date/window and beta announcement then I think we can conclude that it's in trouble.
I'm still hopeful that we'll get an immediate/imminent beta and VR support announcement.

Isn't one of the UK studios (London?) working on an unannounced VR game? Maybe a reveal for that?

Given how light E3 was on reveals I think they could have plenty for PGW and PSX.

Plus Detroit and Wild at Paris is a no brainer again.

I can see a rationale for spreading content announcements across a larger number of events:

Blowing the entire year's announcements at E3 might be a way to 'win' E3 and various forum list wars, but outside of enthusiast circles a lot of titles are going to get drowned out. There's only so much bandwidth for consumers.

Taking a 'little and often' approach and spreading the games across 3 or 4 events keeps them in the public eye without smaller titles getting overshadowed too much. There's more chance for region-specific and niche titles to get a bit of limelight.

Also, it's nice for those of us who live in GMT/UTC timezones! I get to watch live for a change.

Here's how to make amends for E3 this year...

- No pointless stage gimmicks or decorations. Especially no people hanging upside down from ropes.
- Make sure there's variety. Throw in indies and AA titles among the AAA stuff. Show games that aren't open-world, third-person action/adventure games set in spacious, foliage-heavy environments.
- Ensure the conference itself is longer than an hour.

Puppeteer has a small cult following! Plus it'd be considerably cheaper to make than a Shenmue game.

Yay to all of the above. E3 was too focused on AAA. Let's have a good mix of small and big games this time.

Sony is doing way too many stage shows a year. They didn't have much of anything to show at E3 and now they'll be doing 4 shows at least this year (E3, PGW, TGS, PSX). What's the point of all these shows when it's just another trailer or whatever of an already announced game?

Sony is doing way too many stage shows a year. They didn't have much of anything to show at E3 and now they'll be doing 4 shows at least this year (E3, PGW, TGS, PSX). What's the point of all these shows when it's just another trailer or whatever of an already announced game?

Keep interest up, can't sit on their ass and do nothing.
Then people would be complaining that they are sitting on asses and doing nothing, lol.

Stuff gets announced during PGW. Wish I could go

Every conference is mostly a recap of things we already know about. New stuff doesn't outnumber old stuff. Regardless, Sony has content for specific regions. Consider the difference in content between E3 2016 and PSX 2016.

Mr Git

Cool, definitely hoping to see more of Dreams and tentatively hoping for a beta/release date.

Eh, I'm not in the US but I also think E3, TGS and PSX should be the focus. Otherwise they spread themselves too thin. PSX is held in a EU friendly time too.
Since I never attend these events I don't care where they are held, only the content itself matters.

You might not care but there'll be a lot of Europeans who do want to attend an event/conference and certainly not everyone can fly out to the US for E3 and PSX, or to Japan for TGS. Having conferences outside the US is good for those who still want to attend them and they clearly don't happen every year so not sure why people are complaining.

RSchmitz

Cool, definitely hoping to see more of Dreams and tentatively hoping for a beta/release date.

You might not care but there'll be a lot of Europeans who do want to attend an event/conference and certainly not everyone can fly out to the US for E3 and PSX, or to Japan for TGS. Having conferences outside the US is good for those who still want to attend them and they clearly don't happen every year so not sure why people are complaining.

Isn't the conference for press, as the name says?
I think Playstation being there for people to play the games and/or have local panels is great. Conferences though I think shouldn't be too many as having 4 average presentations is worst than having 2-3 great ones imo.

FelipeMGM

this Media Showcase wont be open to the public, nor are E3 and TGS keynotes. PSX is though

PlayStation has presence on the showfloor, and those are public, but you dont need to host a show to have a booth on the showfloor

Other than the wow factor of a conference being awesome due to the quantity and quality demonstrated within one show, I don't really feel or care about the difference between spreading X amount of games over 4 shows as opposed to spreading the same amount over 2 shows.

I'd rather more to see how different business divisions approach game conference presentation and planning. Sure, each conference is weaker as a whole...

But in terms of games announced in totality by the end of the year? It has no difference other than "feel good factor of more concentrated conferences."

Tjamato88

Are there demos and stuff for attendees to do? I'll be in Paris that week and was thinking it would be cool to go if other people say it's worth it.

silva1991

Whaaaaaat? I have to confess, I didn't think Sony would do another show at PGW, so this is a shock. I thought they'd be stockpiling everything into PSX at this rate.

Give me Puppeteer 2 please.

I finished it month ago. It overstayed it's welcome a bit, but it was still a fantastic experience.

I want Puppeteer 2.

Still waiting on that PSASBR sequel and or reboot "sigh" Every year I keep hoping for it and every year it doesn't turn up. Maybe I should stop wishing for it then it will :p

Other than the wow factor of a conference being awesome due to the quantity and quality demonstrated within one show, I don't really feel or care about the difference between spreading X amount of games over 4 shows as opposed to spreading the same amount over 2 shows.

I'd rather more to see how different business divisions approach game conference presentation and planning. Sure, each conference is weaker as a whole...

But in terms of games announced in totality by the end of the year? It has no difference other than "feel good factor of more concentrated conferences."
I think I would prefer the "wow" factor you mentioned but I do agree that it doesn't matter at the end of the day. As long as the content is there, that is all that really matters.

Are there demos and stuff for attendees to do? I'll be in Paris that week and was thinking it would be cool to go if other people say it's worth it.
Yeah, there should be stuff like that for attendees.

I finished it month ago. It overstayed it's welcome a bit, but it was still a fantastic experience.

I want Puppeteer 2.
Absolutely.

Not expecting new, maybe some revisiting of previous projects and some release dates,

There should definitely be some new stuff. Largely because i'd expect the likes of TLoUPII, Spider-Man, Days Gone and GoW to be reserved for PSX. This will be more about European and possibly some smaller Japanese games. Detroit and Wild should definitely be there. And from a third party perspective you'll have CoD, Battlefront 2, Far Cry 5 etc. But we should see new games from Sony XDev and possibly Sony's own internal teams.

RSchmitz

If Japan Studio ever makes a JRPG again, this would be a good show for the reveal. TGS is usually too Japan reserved and JRPGs do well in France.

ZarKryn7

It sold over a mil iirc, which is better then other of Sonys "B-Tier" exclusives.
Also im pretty sure Shu said something along the lines of wanting to revisit it in the future?

He said it in podcast beyond confirming the over million sales, "never say never", and said if they do revisit it, it will have revamped game mechanics and such.

Check your PMs btw. You too
WraithWalker1893

He said it in podcast beyond confirming the over million sales, "never say never", and said if they do revisit it, it will have revamped game mechanics and such.
Right, if they do it again, they'll revamp how they approach it. The naming, the visual choices, fighting mechanics, character picks, etc... Do it all over from top to bottom.

delSai

UI/Menus were definitely the weakest part of the game. So amateurish.

Loved everything else about it personally.

What are you talking about? Sony had a ton of stuff to show at E3, whether most of them were already announced makes no difference. They publish a ton of games, so it's not like they're going to be showing the exact same games at every show (unlike what I'm expecting from Microsoft's Gamescom showing this weekend). Spacing out their conferences and giving each game a time in the spotlight makes sense.

Also, PlayStation's popular in a lot of different countries, so it also makes sense to cater to each market.

I want Puppeteer 2.

Oh yeah, I recall you telling me in an older thread that you belatedly bought the game and were going to play it soon. Glad that worked out well for you in the end! It truly is a lovely little game that didn't get enough appreciation. I'll have to play it again soon; it's been years now.

Top Bottom