• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting 2016 | Conference Thread [Over]

What is your reaction to the new PlayStation line-up?

Results are only viewable after voting.

EmiPrime

No UHD Bluray is bizarre and probably a mistake but I can't say that it bothers me. I've only bought 5 Blurays in the last 10 years as I stream everything.

The hyperbole in this thread.

Has already been said, but for £349 you are getting a more powerful GAMES MACHINE than the current PS4 and most certainly the current Xbox.

This was all about "the gamers" but people aren't seeing it because they are whining about the GAMES MACHINE at a very aggreesive price, aimed at both existing owners and newcomers alike, not having 4K UHD Blu-Ray player.

This machine is aimed at gamers primarily. There is no doubt about it.

The conference wasn't great, but that really is because everything is in the hands of the developers here. Sony chose to show off the shinier graphics capability (a poor choice in my opinion) but other devs could approach things differently. It isn't inconceivable that "Pro mode" features in one game could be that of "res", "visual/effects enhancements" or "frame rate"

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Funny how all these gamers turned into movie watchers:)
And probably 2% have a 4K tv...

I have a 4K HDR Sony and I could care less about playing HD bluray.

Buy disc for $30 or stream for $5...

have you ever streamed a movie on netflix at the highest quality vs watching it on a bluray disc?

+ a decent audio system.
full hd streaming is bullshit.. vs physical content

pastrami

This could have been a blog post. Less people would have been upset.

Naw, this was a media event. They have demo stations to show off 4K and HDR gaming, and probably side-by-side stuff as well. They just happened to also stream the event for people at home, but people got way too excited.

Dead

well not really...yet
The kind of person who is an early adopter of 4k is going to want the best sound and video possible...thats bluray

I don't know if you know anything about physical media, but i'm an expert...
That kind of person is going to buy a standalone UHD player then.

I know people are going to dump on me but do people still buy Blu-rays? I bought shit load of DVD's, started buying Blu-rays. Last 2 years? Star Wars and Intersteller. Its sucks for the nerd fights that Xbox 1s has a feature thats the Pro does not but i really won't miss it tbh.

oti

Banned
People, there's still TGS and PlayStation Experience. Yes, this press conference was bad, there's no denying that. But it wasn't supposed to be about games and 4K wasn't conceivable on a YouTube livestream anyway.

Relax.

There's a Mario game on iOS.

And the Pro is $400.

All is cool.

Riddler

The kind of person who is an early adopter of 4k is going to want the best sound and video possible...thats bluray

I don't know if you know anything about physical media, but i'm an expert...

Sure Enthusiast level want wired plugged into modem for speed, best Reciever with the newest chips for sound and no lag input from controller to screen with highest refresh.

I'm just not sure if physical media is important if most have internet connections that can handle streaming 4K.

Guess time will tell.

Theonik

The problem is, he didn't go in depth.

To me, as someone without a 4K TV, a majority of the presentation wasn't for me. However, I will admit that 60fps is worth $399 to me. So the fact that no time was spent on saying whether games can do that, by showcasing it in action, or even saying "these devs are upgrading their games to be 60fps," was pretty disappointing.

Just something along those lines. But it was only a single mention, a single bullet point.

Horizon looked gorgeous as fuck, but it looked gorgeous in previous trailers too, so again, by not having any sort of side by side comparisons, these trailers were pretty pointless, unless you're ONLY targeting that 4K crowd

Until I see some side by side footage of just how "better" looking the Pro settings are, I'm just not sure the console is for me.
This is because framerate is a choice not a concession. Developers choose to push more impressive games both visually and in terms of features because they know or at least are convinced that's what sells games. A game that went all out on 30FPS will be a game that its developers felt they needed to push visuals as a priority. With more power comes even more impressive visuals. A game that had drops at 30 might now be locked at 30 but devs won't do 30 to 60 conversions as a priority.

Candidates for 30 to 60 boosts are games that wanted to hit 60 but were doing 40-50 with drops and the devs decided to lock at 30 for consistency. Those games might be upgraded to 60. But there really isn't that many candidates and this is a decision that gets made quite early on in a game's life. PC is different. There is no decision to be made, because you can always just throw more hardware at the problem till it goes away. It will still reflect on how much extra power you need and how the title is optimised though.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Ded

GULEdR9.jpg

Greatest games? what games?

Papacheeks

Banned
Did anyone see the other thread with the Ars technica break down of PS4 PRO:

Unparalleled experience for 4K owners and HDTV owners

-1TB hard drive

-"A number of mechanisms" to transfer your library

-Existing games will play as you're accustomed to on PS4 Pro

-Boosting the clock rate to achieve better frame rates

-Can reach resolutions not thought possible on a console in 2016

-Not intended to blur the line between gens

-Takes advantage of some of AMD Polaris

-More than doubled power of GPU

The one bolded is the sole reason I am confident the PS4 Pro is the way it is. Makes Scorpio look like a new generation, that can cause hug rift between versions of games.

I think they made the right decision even though no Ultra Bluray is rather odd?

mcrommert

Banned
That kind of person is going to buy a standalone UHD player then.

Lol...why would they? Those are for very early adopters...the xbox one s or a theoretical playstation 4k bluray could do the same thing for much less while also playing games

Honestly Microsoft better nail their fixes to audio bitstreaming on the xbox one because they should have that market on lock. Along with uwp app stuff the xbox one is looking to be a good 10 foot htpc replacement

Sanctuary

Sure Enthusiast level want wired plugged into modem for speed, best Reciever with the newest chips for sound and no lag input from controller to screen with highest refresh.

I'm just not sure if physical media is important if most have internet connections that can handle streaming 4K.

Guess time will tell.

Except that most don't have that yet. The last estimate was that 80% of the US households are not 4K streaming capable yet.

As somebody looking to get into 4K gaming and UHD blu-rays, I'm going to wait for the Scorpio. Much more powerful system and a shade over a year away- I can wait a little bit while the TV situation clarifies.

Griss

No PS4Pro or PSVR for me.

Waiting for Scorpio. If I'm going to drop 400-500 dollars I want to see a leap. I also want a 4k TV first before I get one of these devices and I don't have one yet. By the time Scorpio rolls around hopefully I will.

If I was just buying a PS4 now, though, I'd obviously go PS4Pro. The price point is good for what it is, and I was expecting it to be more.

The relatively low-key tone of the conference implied that Sony knows they've got a bit of a tough sell on their hands here. Cerny in particular sounded like he knew he was peddling some snake oil at times.

wapplew

Relieved.
That's my biggest reaction. PS4pro is what I wanted it to be.
"We don't not try to blur the line of generation!" You know me, Sony, you know me.

Papacheeks

Banned
Relieved.
That's my biggest reaction. PS4pro is what I wanted it to be.
"We don't not try to blur the line of generation!" You know me, Sony, you know me.

Same ^

I actually think it was purposely low key to relieve a lot of the backlash when we first heard about console refreshes with higher specs.

I can now put down my torch and pitchfork.

Same ^

I actually think it was purposely low key to relive alot of the backlash when we first heard about console refreshes with higher specs.

this is what I was saying earlier.

what do you do with a XboxOne Scorpio that is SO much more powerfull??

you might as well have a new gen at this point.

mcrommert

Banned

Guess time will tell.

Yeah streaming is a poor substitute for disc quality...except perhaps vudu

Come on Xbox team just update the original Xbox one to HDR please.

i'm not seeing the point on that line...so from what we can tell the hdr is not with 4k...so only hdr'ed 1080p...and it isn't on games because that would require more processing power (microsoft talked about the bump on the s being for that)

So all the hdr tvs are 4k...i guess if you are in the situation where you just bought a crazy expensive hdr 4k tv but don't want to buy a pro?

Theonik

Please Sony...make a stand for the Pro.
It uses the same stand as a the new slim. The design is meant to look like a fancier slim but isn't meant to stand out but accessories are cross compatible. But this should be able to stand without an additional stand due to its size like OG PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Where's the "I own a PC and have no interest in a PS4 outside of Uncharted 4" option???????

LTWood12

i couldn't care less about the blu ray thing, but they should have seen this reaction coming and proactively addressed it. PR blunder. If the narrative coming out of your press conference is

NEW THING DOESN'T DO THING

then someone fucked up.

Logash

Here what I still don't get. Is there any point for me or any person who doesn't have a 4k tv to get this? Will it improve games for a normal 1080p tv at all?

Sanctuary

Yeah streaming is a poor substitute for disc quality...except perhaps vudu

i'm not seeing the point on that line...so from what we can tell the hdr is not with 4k...so only hdr'ed 1080p...and it isn't on games because that would require more processing power (microsoft talked about the bump on the s being for that)

So all the hdr tvs are 4k...i guess if you are in the situation where you just bought a crazy expensive hdr 4k tv but don't want to buy a pro?

I just don't understand the point of adding HDR to the regular PS4s either since HDR is only streamed through 4K anyway. Unless it's like you said, and the HDR that the systems will handle will only be from games, and it will only be 1080p. Which won't be accurate even on the Pro.

Hupsel

Wut? Framerate will be the same in multiplayer games for people with the normal PS4 and the PS4 pro to "even the playing field"? What the fuck lol

wapplew

Same ^

I actually think it was purposely low key to relieve a lot of the backlash when we first heard about console refreshes with higher specs.

I can now put down my torch and pitchfork.

Only a little disappointed they don't mention 60fps at all.
But no spec upgrade tell me that Sony have a clear vision and not affected by what MS try to do. I like that.

n0razi

Did they say anything about the USB Dualshock adapter thats coming out next week? I need to know if I can finally dump my 360 pad.

Top Bottom