• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting 2016 | Conference Thread [Over]

What is your reaction to the new PlayStation line-up?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am sure its been asked plenty of times but,

I have a 4k TV and I do NOT want to get a pro. will I still see some sort of upgrade from that firmware we'll be getting?

What do you say to someone who tells the following "Folks are going to optimize games on pro that it will run like garbage on base systems, slowly but surely"?

You point out two things:
1. Most of these games still have to run on the Xbone, so the base PS4 won't be the floor.
2. Publishers aren't just going to ditch the 40 million PS4s and 20 million Xbone's. Just look at how long it took them to completely drop the PS3 and 360 and that gen fell off like a rock because it went way too long.

Sure, there'll be some games that run like garbage on base systems but we already see some games do that anyway (Assassin's Creed Unity and Just Cause 3 say hi). But assuming we get new hardware every 3 years, I think by the time we see most games trending in that direction, the PS5 will be on the horizon anyway.

With Farpoint or what it's called they choose to upgrade visual fidelity. Devs could focus on frames if they want. I guess the minimum of 60 fps still stands? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hm thanks, guess I spaced out from Cerny's Tub Zen. I'm interested to see the kind of improvements we'll see on games like DriveClub VR.

More broadly, it sounds like Sony hasn't really dictated much about how devs use the extra power. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

TyrantII

What do you say to someone who tells the following "Folks are going to optimize games on pro that it will run like garbage on base systems, slowly but surely"?

Same thing you say when Sony tells you AAA VR will require PS4 PRO sometime in 2017, essentially costing $900 for VR buy in.

It's coming. The conference was weak and message muddled because the real reasons for the PS4 generally suck to a good portion of the current gen user base and those looking forward to VR.

So, check out this HDR 4K for the 5% of you with a compatible set!

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
Seems to me like they could have just done a Xbox One S style upgrade and added 4k upscalling and media to the PS4 slim and just skipped making the Pro until they can have a more meaningful upgrade

But to output at 4k, you need a large performance boost that will up the price. Defeating the purpose of the slim (plus the added heat ect that comes from it). And a meaningful upgrade would be a PS5.

Honestly power doesn't matter in this situation as long as you get it to a point where upping to 4k doesn't hamper the experience. This is a process to allow porting a game to 4k in the least invasive way as possible, once you start going above that and pushing developers to make added benefits to the platform, you are just encroaching on PS5 territory.

I do wish they just called it PS4k to avoid confusion in the branding message.

Listonosh

Not sure if this was posted, but it looks like it does in fact have an optical out on the back (Sorry for the image size! I don't know how to shrink it down!)

718J2hHysFL._SL1500_.jpg

Tonky

Ok so when PSX/E3 2017 roll around and random "insiders" start teasing a new RDR let's all remind ourselves of what happened today.

This entire event should have been a 20 minute "PlayStation Direct" youtube video.

Anyway still no news on if they are doing a stage thing at Paris Games Week yet? This show seemed so lacking for new stuff I am wondering if its being saved for later

Ok so when PSX/E3 2017 roll around and random "insiders" start teasing a new RDR let's all remind ourselves of what happened today.

Personally waiting for the first "I hear Red Dead will be at PSX" twitter talk.

DasRaven

I have a launch PS4 and I'm seriously considering the Pro.

My displays are all 1080p and I have no plans to upgrade any of them for some time, so the lack of UHD is a non-issue for me.

I'd like to hear some announcements of upgrade patches for a few of my old favorites, like #DRIVECLUB@60fps.
But, I can afford it and there will likely be meaningful benefits in the Neo modes for all games going forward, so I'm probably in.

B_Boss

My god the launch PS4's stand was so much more attractive lol, can't have everything I guess. I was hoping they'd at least use the same logic for the Pro stand (a natural looking extension of the console when oriented vertically)....

Cuburt

What an obnoxious presentation.

Did they really need 40 minutes of 4k-display-splaining differences that you can't even see for yourself? Just tell us the features, the games that take advantage of it, then call it a day.

I mean essentially it really is a new iteration of the PS4 in most functionality and not a next generation console. This didn't really need a huge press conference.

FelipeMGM

This entire event should have been a 20 minute "PlayStation Direct" youtube video.

Anyway still no news on if they are doing a stage thing at Paris Games Week yet? This show seemed so lacking for new stuff I am wondering if its being saved for later

Personally waiting for the first "I hear Red Dead will be at PSX" twitter talk.

I think they do need PGW now that the reception from the console was prob not what they expected, its their last chance make PS4 Pro look good before its launch

And yeah, Red Dead talk sure will come back soon lol
#Believe

The actual content of this meeting was pretty much what everyone was reasonably expecting.

Neo was pretty much what I was expecting and I remember having a conversation with a couple of GAFfers about the differences in approach between Neo and Scorpio in the original thread.

The presentation however was laughably bad.

Still, PS4 Pro at day one. That image quality looked great. That's one of the things I love about my PC and I'm more then willing to upgrade to get some semblance of that image quality on some of my console games.

zkorejo

I don't own a 4K TV but depending on the improvements to some games in 1080p I may be interested.

Collin from Kinda Funny said "very few" third party studios will be improving their games which have already been on ps4 since launch.

I had been looking forward to Neo but they needed to tell us more about framerate differences. IDK if I am just willing to pay an extra $100 for bells and whistles.

mZxpvA.gif

At this point, I feel like I am better of getting a Ps4 slim.

PayaV87

If I have an HD TV, which not capable of HDR, but my launch PS4 will be by a firmware upgrade, will I see any difference?

I don't get that part.

TVexperto

So where was Rockstar? I thought there were so many rumours about them announcing a new game or remaster? Whats going on at R?

UrbanRats

I have a PS4 already, and was going to upgrade to a Pro immediately, but after the meeting, i'm not so sure.
I'll still upgrade eventually, but i'll probably wait for the price to go down, or get a used one.

Mainly the inability to play UHD blurays, and the support for 1080p screens, that seems a bit too much up to the developers.
I'll have to see how strong the support is, before deciding if it's worth it.

Since i don't have a 4K HDR TV, and even if i did, this thing can't play goddamn movies on it.

Plasma

Banned
It was always going to be tough for them to demonstrate the differences between 1080p and 4K HDR screens to people streaming it out on their monitors but they should have shown more comparisons like they did when they showed the improved graphics on the 1080p display.

The thing that made it dissapointing though is they skipped over PSVR entirely aside from a token mention of one game. It comes out in a month and this would have been a good place to show off all of the launch games.

Melchiah

Ok, found it now, thanks. Thought it was a very short comparison though, I'd need to see more honestly to get a better impression.

It's short, but I think it portrayed the differences at 1080p the best way.

It's here at 4:27 -> https://youtu.be/Bs10jHkWn0E for those interested

EDIT:
Which one's which here -_-'

It moves from the PS4 version to Pro at 1080p resolution. It's pretty obvious which is which.

8KBXQjV.jpg

Welp, there it is.

Why does this thing exist again? A "PRO" model that isn't going to offer much performance bonus outside of SP games... Maybe. But that sweet, sweet HDR! 4K!

WTF ???

One of the reasons I wanted this before the announcement that we would get to play stuff like BF4 64 man Conquest at 60fps - instead of the slide show it drops to at the moment on OG PS4.

Politically correct console gaming - if you haven't brought enough sweets for everyone you can't eat yours ... The world's gone mad, what a time to be alive.

Phreak47

Not sure if this was posted, but it looks like it does in fact have an optical out on the back (Sorry for the image size! I don't know how to shrink it down!)

718J2hHysFL._SL1500_.jpg

Just found that image myself and was greatly relieved (as are my Astro A50s!)

Even better, there's now a back USB to plug the headphone base into as well.

Top Bottom