• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Network Thread | September 2015

That's not really how it works though. The decision to port is based on a whole lot of factors, from projected sales to port complexity. For all we know they played around with a Journey port and realized the sand physics just brought it to a halt. Even if they never touched it, the decision to port Ico would pretty much have zero correlation with Journey. You might as well say 'I think we're getting it, after all, we're finally getting Xcom!'.

If ability to run on Vita was a decision in putting stuff on Vita, we wouldn't have had a load of stuff including Borderlands; Ratchet; Jak; Resident Evil etc. Sony don't seem to give a crap about getting their games to run well on Vita. I don't see any reason Journey would've been any different.

Maybe it wasn't the best example. The point was, though, that I don't see a hope in hell of them releasing Ico/SOTC on Vita this late in the game.

(I don't really want them to though. Neither game is all they get hyped up to be, and I don't think they'd be a good fit on Vita - Ico in particular just doesn't make sense).

The bolded are ones I feel you shouldn't worry about; they are all big games with no western announcement yet; they will be coming to Vita next year alongside other announced games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth :). Anything Complete Heart is bound to come over honestly, so don't worry about the Neptuina spin-offs; all of them will come over in due time (starting with Victory II early next year on PS4).

I have a lot of hope for the Neptunia spinoff, but I could definitely see Makai Shin Trillion being skipped. It's text-heavy; part of a very niche genre and on a risky platform. I'd be disappointed though, because when IFI was first set up, I remember their CEO saying that they were going to bring games to the west that other companies didn't want (i.e. Monster Monpiece). To start skipping niche stuff now would be lame.

Hero Must Die - NISA have skipped things like Hayarigami and Edo Blacksmith, so it's certainly set in stone. I'd be hopeful that it's got some more mainstream appeal with artstyle and such, but I still think it's a bit of a risk.

Luminous Arc Infinity, I dunno. I hope XSEED are good guys and bring it, especially since they brought Lord of Magna, but it still doesn't seem certain.

Atelier Sophie - It'll come, but they're skipping the Vita version of Yoru no Nai Kuni. Could well happen with Atelier too.

Steins;gate - depends if Pqube are interested again. I hope so.

I can at least agree that odds are on for Exist Archive, purely because of the PS4 version and the likelihood that someone like Aksys/Atlus pick it up who seem to like Vita.

autoduelist

If ability to run on Vita was a decision in putting stuff on Vita, we wouldn't have had a load of stuff including Borderlands; Ratchet; Jak; Resident Evil etc. Sony don't seem to give a crap about getting their games to run well on Vita. I don't see any reason Journey would've been any different.

You're putting the cart before the horse. They didn't invest in Borderlands and intentionally add in frame rate issues... they invested in Borderlands, and then while the porters were trying to get it running well they slowly did things like drop enemy count, reduce draw distance, etc, trying to get it stable. At some point, due to some combination of lack of skill, lack of vita power, or time/money constraints they were forced to release. And it wasn't perfect.

In other words, the decision to put Borderlands on Vita was made months/years in advance of them knowing how well it would or would not run. They obviously knew they'd need to make some concessions to graphics/etc but until you're neck deep in late stage optimization it's all guesswork as to how much. That it wasn't perfect on release is not Sony's fault so much as it is that money doesn't grow on trees.

Same with any other game. By the time you're sure you can't optimize anymore (due to the issues listed above) you're already fully invested and it's not like a business can be in the position to just drop it. Besides, even if they did, plenty of people would be upset that it got cancelled and would have preferred they released it in it's current state.

The same process happens with any game (or tech project, period, really) -- port, exclusive, whatever. You have grand ambitions and then reality sinks in.

That said, what I was talking about was much more simple -- they could have theoretically put a week or three into a quick port to see how stable it ran, and realized it wasn't worth it no matter what they did. [that can be due to anything - from crazy sand physics that need a good processor to terrible original spaghetti code that nobody wanted to touch). I mean, you could have a perfectly 'ordinary' looking game (say, pacman, or whatever) but if the codebase is a unholy unoptimized, badly commented/documented, badly coded mess then porting it would be harder than porting something more complex.

Anyway, it's all a tangent anyway. My point, reduced to it's purest, is just that every decision to port a game has a ton of factors that go into it, and many of them are completely invisible to us, the gamer. That's why their decision to port something like BLands or Ico or Xcom or whatever doesn't really factor in to our ability to guess at the decision to port other games; there's just too many variables at play.

That's not an update, not after all the silence. An update would've been a release date or a price announcement. I'm not entirely satisfied how this is being handled, marketing and PR-wise. I wonder if it's been delayed to 2016.

Hey, I'd rather be playing it right now as well, but it's still alive at least.
Looks like they're slowly (very slowly) ramping up the PR

The site is well made at least :p

Shizuka

Hey, I'd rather be playing it right now as well, but it's still alive at least.
Looks like they're slowly (very slowly) ramping up the PR

The site is well made at least :p

I'm not fond of that PS3 logo alone on the top of the website, that's sending the game to die a horrible death.

I think the uncertainty is more on MAGES. than PQube here.

How come? 5pb licence out a fair few games these days.

Anyway, it's all a tangent anyway. My point, reduced to it's purest, is just that every decision to port a game has a ton of factors that go into it, and many of them are completely invisible to us, the gamer. That's why their decision to port something like BLands or Ico or Xcom or whatever doesn't really factor in to our ability to guess at the decision to port other games; there's just too many variables at play.

Yeah, I do understand what you're saying. Personally (and I think I'm in the minority on this one), I would happily take these ports-with-problems from Sony than nothing at all - both Borderlands & Resident Evil have been enjoyable for me.

But they both also show that Sony has no problem releasing un-optimized ports. I believe that Borderlands; Resi & Jak would've run better had they been given a bit longer in development to iron out issues.

I kinda forgot the point we were originally discussing and how this relates to it, though. Ico on Vita I think? :p

Hikami

Finally got this
dc8d327e31.png

Still have to play through Ys Origin but eh.. after finishing Oath in Felghana and Ark of Napishtim I needed something that played differently. Will play through this one next and then go back to Origin.

Producer

Finally got this

Still have to play through Ys Origin but eh.. after finishing Oath in Felghana and Ark of Napishtim I needed something that played differently. Will play through this one next and then go back to Origin.

Saving the best for last. Good choice.

Vylash

Finally got this

Celceta is perfection

JJP12

This game looks like so much fun. It'll probably get localized right? Please let it get localized.

Finally got this

Still my favorite Vita game I've played so far.

RK128

Finally got this

Hope you enjoy it Hikami :D!

I never beat it, but I had a lot of fun with the combat system and exploring the games large open world :).

Great JRPG for the Vita and I hope you have a blast with it :).

Finally finished Tales of Hearts R, fun game.
Almost done with Ar NoSurge, the game really grew on me.
It takes me several months to beat long games these days.

Redhood

So my IA/VT and steins gate copy came this week and am expecting P4D:DAN, Danganronpa: UDG and Resident Evil Revelations 2 from Play Asia soon.

Hope we get some new localization announcements. The well is getting a bit dry.

Looking forward to cold steel though.

My want list currently looks like this:

Ys8
Senran Kagura Estival Versus;
Banner Saga;
htol#niq; when on sale
Toukiden Kiwami; when on sale
The Geissan Trilogy; lol
World of Final Fantasy
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Trails of Cold Steel
Chaos Rings Trilogy; if localized

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yoru no Nai Kuni first PSVita screenshots via Gematsu. Idk if it's because I am on my phone, and there's been compression and all, but doesn't it look very blurry?

Thats generally what happens when you compare a Vita title to a PS4 title.

Doubt its really going to look much better when you play it on the Vita. Perhaps a little due to the screen being smaller.

Its the same for Utawarerumono PS4 vs PSV for the in battle sections.

So my IA/VT and steins gate copy came this week and am expecting P4D:DAN, Danganronpa: UDG and Resident Evil Revelations 2 from Play Asia soon.

Hope we get some new localization announcements. The well is getting a bit dry.

Looking forward to cold steel though.

My want list currently looks like this:

Ys8
Senran Kagura Estival Versus;
Banner Saga;
htol#niq; when on sale
Toukiden Kiwami; when on sale
The Geissan Trilogy; lol
World of Final Fantasy
Sword Art Online: Lost Song
Trails of Cold Steel
Chaos Rings Trilogy; if localized

I still don't get tired of people making lists like these, I love seeing what people are planning on buying.

And yes, I agree, the localization well is getting a bit dry. Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco have replenished it slightly with recent announcements for me, but I'm still expecting some major stuff from NISA and IFI soon.

Thats generally what happens when you compare a Vita title to a PS4 title.

Doubt its really going to look much better when you play it on the Vita. Perhaps a little due to the screen being smaller.

Its the same for Utawarerumono PS4 vs PSV for the in battle sections.
That is true but something about those shots makes it look even worse than what I was expecting. I mean:

YnNK-PSV-2ch_09-29-15_002.jpg

Goddamn lol.

Top Bottom