• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Next PlayStation's success will depend on backwards compatibility and streaming

CyberPanda

Banned
Sony execs have elaborated on their priorities for the next PlayStation console, emphasising the importance of backwards compatibility and the need to offer discs, downloads and streaming.

Initial details on its next generation device were revealed last month, and it became a key topic at the company's investor day last week.

President and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida began with a breakdown of each area of the business, describing the Game & Network Services division as "the engine that enabled us to record historically high profit last fiscal year for the second consecutive year." He also expects PS4 to surpass 100 million sales worldwide by the end of 2019.

Yoshida centred his comments on the future of PlayStation around two keywords: immersive and seamless, alluding to both the increased power of the next console and the expansion of thestreaming service PlayStation Now.

Following the first details on the PlayStation 4's successor -- still only referred to as a 'next-generation console', rather than specifically named PlayStation 5 -- attendees were shown a video comparing load times for Marvel's Spider-Man. A transition that took eight seconds on PlayStation 4 Pro took 0.8 seconds on the next-gen console.

"The Remote Play feature transforms 100 million PS4s... into streaming game servers. We plan to support this in our next generation console"
Kenichiro Yoshida, Sony Corporation
The hope is shorter load times will go some way to maintaining immersion in games content, and the current demo may even be improved. Later in the day during his presentation on the G&NS division, Sony Interactive Entertainment president and CEO Jim Ryan said he has "never seen anything this transformational at this early stage", emphasising the next-gen console is still at least a year away from launch.

Yoshida emphasised the next PlayStation will have more computational power and dramatically increased rendering speed thanks to a "customised ultra-fast, broadband SSD."

He also said gamers will be able to enjoy their games -- whether disc-based or download -- on other devices thanks to Remote Play, building on advancements made for the technology on the current generation. PS4 users can currently stream their games to PC and Xperia devices, with an app added for iOS back in March and plans for an Android app in the future.

"The Remote Play feature transforms these 100 million PS4s... into streaming game servers which can stream content from locations very close to users," said Yoshida. "We plan to support this feature in our next generation console as well."

Yoshida said he wants PlayStation users to be able to "continue their play anytime and anywhere without feeling stress" -- a selling point that both its rivals are emphasising. The portable nature of Nintendo Switch means players can continue games on the move, while Microsoft's Phil Spencer has previously said he wants Game Pass subscribers to be able to access the service on any device.

In his own presentation, Ryan pointed to "the growing appetite for this feature [as] one of the concrete reasons that we feel the move to streaming is upon us." He reported that over five million people used Remote Play last year -- although this is still around 5% of the PS4's total userbase.

As interest in streaming services picks up, Sony hopes to capitalise on this with its established PlayStation Now offering. Yoshida says this has the potential to expand PlayStation's addressable market "regardless of whether [subscribers] are a PS4 user or do not own a PS4 console at all."

PlayStation Now currently has around 700,000 subscribers but Ryan said investments have already been made to support five million, and further investments to expand beyond this "are not ruled out." Later, during a Q&A with investors, Ryan said he did not expect expanding to five million subscribers "will necessarily lead to a radical shift in demographic."

"The rollout has been steady and not rushed," he said. "I make no apologies for that. We've been testing, learning, and iterating all the time to ensure that as we expand we're able to guarantee gamers a proper PlayStation experience that they can enjoy and we can be proud of."

"We never forced the digital model on anyone -- our hardware has always had a disc drive and that will continue with next-gen"
Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment
The streaming service is now available in 19 countries around the world, thanks in part to a major expansion earlier this year that Ryan says "gives us blanket coverage in key Western markets." This means PlayStation can now "market the service more aggressively," suggesting it will be a much more prominent pillar of Sony's strategy in the next generation.

When later asked by investors about the quality of PlayStation Now -- and indeed game streaming in general -- Ryan emphasised that in all the feedback Sony receives, "lag and breakage" do not feature highly.

"We're never complacent, we're always trying to make it better... but this is not a critical area of weakness."

There was also talk of looking at how Sony can "better monetise the off-console experience", something Ryan deemed a "principle objective" as the company explores how to use streaming to reach a broader base of users.

During Ryan's presentation, the PlayStation boss said initial momentum will be crucial to maintaining Sony's market-leading position with the next-gen console.

"The key to a platform's success is initial momentum," he said. "Our critical success factor for next-gen will be our ability to transition our community from PS4 to next-gen faster than we've ever done before, before then broadening out to new audiences."

Ryan added that backwards compatibility with PS4 games will be "absolutely key to that happening," making it easier for users to upgrade. He added that, with all the excitement around the upcoming fifth PlayStation home console, "we must not forget PS4" and he expects the console to be the main driver of profits and user engagement "for the next three years or so."

Following Google's opening gambit for Stadia -- declaring that the next-generation has no need for a dedicated console thanks to the power of the cloud -- Ryan said Sony "believes in generations" and that developers and publishers both prefer a stable development environment rather than one that changes over time.

There was also a subtle jab at Microsoft's recently launched all-digital Xbox One, as well as persistent rumours that one of the firm's next generation consoles will be a digital- or even streaming-only device, with Ryan emphasising PlayStation uses will always have the option of retail.

"We fully embraced the network area and have seen our business shift to have a significant portion be accounted for by digital downloads," he said. "But we never forced the digital model on anyone -- our hardware has always had a disc drive and that will continue with next-gen."

He later added: "Streaming will be one of the ways that gamers play games. It will not be the only way."

Sony opted not to further discuss the recently announced cloud and AI innovations collaboration with Microsoft, but Ryan encouraged investors to "view it as a statement of serious intent on our part to achieve growth and scale." However, he emphasised numerous times that these are exploratory talks rather than a final partnership, and that gaming is just one of a broad range of services the two firms will be looking at.

Aintitcool

Banned
5 million ps now users?? I strongly doubt they can have enough ps3 server towers around the globe to truly support that.

I assume he is talking about the MS azure cloud integration.

HeadsUp7Up

Backward compat has NEVER EVER been something I would consider when buying a console
I would generally agree but I'm going to have more than a few PS4 games that I'll still want to play while also enjoying new PS5 games when they come out (having a kid really cuts down on your gaming time). I don't like having a bunch of boxes to switch between and I'm all digital anyway so switching between PS4 & PS5 games should be a piece of cake. Surprisingly about 1/4 of the games I play on Xbox are Xbox 360 games since I either missed out cause I only had a PS3 or it's a 3rd party game I liked and wanted to revisit from last gen.

Edit: Also Xbox One X Enhanced last gen games are pretty cool too. Here's to hoping Sony does something similar, even if it's just the loading times.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Racer!

Except for when the more powerful newer consoles can enhance the older titles. Yes it is a game changer. Ninja Gaiden from Xbox running in 4K on Xbox one X is a game changer for me.

Plus I want to play their exclusives in higher frame rates and true 4K.

Just seems like "if my new console dont play and enhance my old titles im not interested" is a little weird.

Just seems like "if my new console dont play and enhance my old titles im not interested" is a little weird.

I can see why people want that. Not everyone holds onto hardware or hardware dies. Software being able to be run on a new console just increases the value of new hardware as you already have a set of software that is very possibly going to look and in some cases play better with higher frame rates (please make Bloodborne run better!)

I have a literal shit ton of games on Pc. I never have to worry about them not working (there are some odd ones out that didn’t run on Win 10 but very few compared to the amount that do)

Ive actually stopped playing my PS4 backlog in hopes the new system is going to enhance the games a bit like the XBX. Got plenty to keep me busy on PC.

Last edited:

Racer!

I can see why people want that. Not everyone holds onto hardware or hardware dies. Software being able to be run on a new console just increases the value of new hardware as you already have a set of software that is very possibly going to look and in some cases play better with higher frame rates (please make Bloodborne run better!)

I have a literal shit ton of games on Pc. I never have to worry about them not working (there are some odd ones out that didn’t run on Win 10 but very few compared to the amount that do)

Ive actually stopped playing my PS4 backlog in hopes the new system is going to enhance the games a bit like the XBX. Got plenty to keep me busy on PC.

I can see its important to some. Although data shows BC is a highly requested feature, but seldom gets used.

I can see its important to some. Although data shows BC is a highly requested feature, but seldom gets used.

Got the data set handy, curious to know when it was gathered? With the newer innovations to BC lately it’s going to be more valuable vs say a PS3 60GB to play PS1 games.

“Last year, it was speculated that the reason console manufacturers opted against backwards compatibility was due to its usage, with statistics showcasing low amounts of playtime across a million users. It turns out Microsoft is putting that speculation to rest once and for all, announcing that Xbox One users have logged almost 1 billion hours across Original Xbox and Xbox 360 titles.

This has almost doubled from Microsoft’s June 2017 update in that Xbox One owners had indulged in 508 million hours using backwards compatibility. The data shows that approximately half of Xbox One users use the feature to varying degrees, lending credit to Microsoft’s effort in bolstering the platform.“

I wouldn’t call that seldom. I’ve fired up quite a few older games just because they run better now. RDR is another one that is night and day difference. I wouldn’t have decided to play that again had there be no enhancements and it still ran like crap.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Please, that didn't make the ps4 the success it is, nor did it stop ps3 from getting over 80 mil in sales (only ps3 tht had bc was the original phat then it was dropped) . Xbox went hard asf with bc this gen and used it as a marketing tool and it still didn't sway most gamers. Some ppl want it but most don't give a fuck about it. It won't make or break a console, games and price point do.

Last edited:

Racer!

Got the data set handy, curious to know when it was gathered? With the newer innovations to BC lately it’s going to be more valuable vs say a PS3 60GB to play PS1 games.

“Last year, it was speculated that the reason console manufacturers opted against backwards compatibility was due to its usage, with statistics showcasing low amounts of playtime across a million users. It turns out Microsoft is putting that speculation to rest once and for all, announcing that Xbox One users have logged almost 1 billion hours across Original Xbox and Xbox 360 titles.

This has almost doubled from Microsoft’s June 2017 update in that Xbox One owners had indulged in 508 million hours using backwards compatibility. The data shows that approximately half of Xbox One users use the feature to varying degrees, lending credit to Microsoft’s effort in bolstering the platform.“

I think it was Sony`s data 4-5 years ago. Well, it may be more valuable now I suppose.

I think it was Sony`s data 4-5 years ago. Well, it may be more valuable now I suppose.

That could have been Sony’s way of dodging the criticism. They do get a bit arrogant when they are on top. They are really pushing the BC stuff now since Nintendo is having some success with the Switch online nes games. MS has really gathered a lot of goodwill with they enhancements and work they have put in.

I have put off replaying GOW, finishing BloodBornes DLC or even starting Horizon in hopes for some enhancements. I’m a big big stickler for 60+ FPS which is why I spend my time on PC but since I have the PS4 games it would be cool to get extra use out of them later on.

Gamernyc78

Banned
That could have been Sony’s way of dodging the criticism. They do get a bit arrogant when they are on top. They are really pushing the BC stuff now since Nintendo is having some success with the Switch online nes games. MS has really gathered a lot of goodwill with they enhancements and work they have put in.

I have put off replaying GOW, finishing BloodBornes DLC or even starting Horizon in hopes for some enhancements. I’m a big big stickler for 60+ FPS which is why I spend my time on PC but since I have the PS4 games it would be cool to get extra use out of them later on.

Except Playstation always had bc except for the PS4 and understandably so due to the cell complexity. Bc isn't new for the Sony eco system. They would have had bc I think regardless of what others were doing since they've had it in the past.

Last edited:

Except Playstation always had bc except for the PS4 and understandably so due to the cell complexity. Bc isn't new for the Sony eco system.

Not understanding your response to my original post. But you kinda proved my point. They always had it. Then they didn’t and acted like it wasn’t used enough.

You hit the nail on the head with the infrastructure difference but that can be done with Software as proven by Ms. Sony just chose not to go that direction this gen but obviously given how they are talking it’s very important to be able to keep that library accessible.

wipeout364

I am surprised at the number of people who think BC is not important in an era of digital distribution. Also keeping multiple systems hooked up is annoying and messy. I want to buy Xbox 4 and be able to play everything on it, why would you not want this feature?

Maybe I won’t use the feature that much, but if I want to play Kotor, or gears 2, or Bayonetta; with BC and digital distribution nothing is stopping me.

I have played though Several BC games since it launched on Xbox one and I love the feature.

EDMIX

Backward compat has NEVER EVER been something I would consider when buying a console

Same.

I personally own 2 PS4s right now and have no plans of selling either of them. (My family owns like 4 PS4s combined)

So PS5 is a day 1 for me for PS5 games.... a used PS4 is so cheap, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a PS5, to play PS4 games as that time could be spent doing that RIGHT NOW, even if we factor in some sort of savings, what are they buying the PS5 with zero games or? So it makes little sense. This is an expensive hobby and I've never sold a console to buy a newer console. I'd argue selling a console to buy a newer one shows you don't value that library at all, where as not even currently owning a PS4 questions how much they even enjoy gaming if they waited THAT LONG before they bought a new system, only to just buy it to also play PS4 titles, something they could have done for years now, cheaper if they bought used.

It just makes no sense. I don't see a lot of situations that really answer how it would be a must for something other then ignorance or they don't know how to handle money or some rare wild situation like they got robbed or a house fire or something.

So anyone want to know how important PS4 games are to me?

Enough to actually KEEP MY PS4s THAT I OWN...... aka common sense.

EDMIX

For this and nextgen I definitely want it. I have a massive back catalogue that I'd rather play on the PS5 with it's better loading speeds. A much better and seamless experience to be had. Plus PS4 graphics are pretty good. They won't look as outdated as the gens before it.

"I have a massive back catalogue that I'd rather play on the PS5 with it's better loading speeds" This. This should be the biggest reason for the want for BC. I'm likely only going to play titles that I've yet to beat or start on it though.

Same.

I personally own 2 PS4s right now and have no plans of selling either of them. (My family owns like 4 PS4s combined)

So PS5 is a day 1 for me for PS5 games.... a used PS4 is so cheap, I'm not sure why anyone would buy a PS5, to play PS4 games as that time could be spent doing that RIGHT NOW, even if we factor in some sort of savings, what are they buying the PS5 with zero games or? So it makes little sense. This is an expensive hobby and I've never sold a console to buy a newer console. I'd argue selling a console to buy a newer one shows you don't value that library at all, where as not even currently owning a PS4 questions how much they even enjoy gaming if they waited THAT LONG before they bought a new system, only to just buy it to also play PS4 titles, something they could have done for years now, cheaper if they bought used.

It just makes no sense. I don't see a lot of situations that really answer how it would be a must for something other then ignorance or they don't know how to handle money or some rare wild situation like they got robbed or a house fire or something.

So anyone want to know how important PS4 games are to me?

Enough to actually KEEP MY PS4s THAT I OWN...... aka common sense.

So you wouldn’t use the PS5 if it offered a better experience for those PS4 games? Common sense, would point to wanting the best possible experience and that may actually be a PS5 for those same PS4 games that run at lower than 4K res with sometimes unstable frame rates or locked to 30.

I have 2 ps4 pros too and one would go right on the shelf (Spider Man Edition) in my office where I collect old game systems and I would probably sell the second one. I have all intents to use BC it’s it offering a better experience.

EDMIX

Hes right, if people's PS4 games carry over that is already a huge incentive for the 100m+ people that are gonna have a PS4 to stay with Sony instead of buying the Xbox 2.

Oh it will help, but logically those that bought PS4, will likely buy PS5 for the same reasons they bought 4. (most of them)

Consider PS4 has zero BC.

EDMIX

So you wouldn’t use the PS5 if it offered a better experience for those PS4 games? Common sense, would point to wanting the best possible experience and that may actually be a PS5 for those same PS4 games that run at lower than 4K res with sometimes unstable frame rates or locked to 30.

I have 2 ps4 pros too and one would go right on the shelf (Spider Man Edition) in my office where I collect old game systems and I would probably sell the second one. I have all intents to use BC it’s it offering a better experience.

"So you wouldn't use the PS5 if it offered a better experience for those PS4 games?" ???? ummm never stated that. Not even once. Where did you read that?

"I'm likely only going to play titles that I've yet to beat or start on it though." and "This should be the biggest reason for the want for BC" so....yea

I still have no plans to sell any of my PS4s. I'll likely keep em in the family or something or in the closet as back ups or media players etc.

"I have all intents to use BC " As do I. My comment is based on someone buying it that also choose to not buy a PS4 currently. So no...I'm not buying a PS5 to as a reason to play PS4 games, I'm buying it to play PS5 games, that doesn't mean I'm never going to play a PS4 title on it, simply that wasn't the main reason for its purchase as to why I'd still own a PS4, not sell it and bought it at launch. It might be even years before I play a PS4 title on PS5 as what ever is coming out at launch will have my full focus just like this gen.

edit "(Spider Man Edition) in my office " jealous lol

Last edited:
Well I still have nier, rdr2, kingdom hearts 3, and devil May cry 5 to play and a few more. So BC on PS5 will be nice.

BUT!! I’d love it even more if they can give me PS2 BC. Would love to play my huge PS2 collection on a modern PlayStation instead of having to bring the PS2 out of the closet and hook it up.

vkbest

“we must not forget PS4" and he expects the console to be the main driver of profits and user engagement "for the next three years or so."

Unannounced more cross PS4&PS5 games?

"So you wouldn't use the PS5 if it offered a better experience for those PS4 games?" ???? ummm never stated that. Not even once. Where did you read that?

"I'm likely only going to play titles that I've yet to beat or start on it though." and "This should be the biggest reason for the want for BC" so....yea

I still have no plans to sell any of my PS4s. I'll likely keep em in the family or something or in the closet as back ups or media players etc.

"I have all intents to use BC " As do I. My comment is based on someone buying it that also choose to not buy a PS4 currently. So no...I'm not buying a PS5 to as a reason to play PS4 games, I'm buying it to play PS5 games, that doesn't mean I'm never going to play a PS4 title on it, simply that wasn't the main reason for its purchase as to why I'd still own a PS4, not sell it and bought it at launch. It might be even years before I play a PS4 title on PS5 as what ever is coming out at launch will have my full focus just like this gen.

edit "(Spider Man Edition) in my office " jealous lol

EDMIX EDMIX , Can you hear me? EDMIX??? EDMIIIIIIIIIIIIXXXXXX!!!!!!!!

GODDAMN you went hard on us BC fanatics :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_fire:

I disagree. Success will be based on available content, first and foremost (and the technical efficacy in comparison to competing platforms), and services that engender communal activities.

I truly hope the PS5 allows for emulation of classic PS titles from PS1, PS2, and PS3 while expanding on the meta trophies introduced. Owning platinums (and outwardly being allowed to display such) should carry an innate sense of accomplishment and confer either admiration or applause from the broader community. But the premise should be further expanded upon at a base system level, though I don’t have my hopes up for Sony.

nani17

are in a big trouble
So amazing exclusive titles isn't as important.

Sony: Spiderman
Xbox: Hey guys who cares about spiderman now you can replay call of duty black ops 2.

Sony: Uncharted 4
Xbox: lol we have eh re-core... Wait eh we also have eh Ryse Son Of Rome ok forget that eh Quantum Break anyone???..also Now you can replay Red Dead Redemption. Ha that that Sony.

Xbox: yeah who cares about exclusives no one buys a new 500 dollar system to play new games. Playing old games is far more important 😡

Sony: God of War
Xbox: ok fuck you Sony with your dad simulator. You don't have BC sniff 😢

93xfan

Banned
Why, you dont have a PS4? BC is convenient, but no gamechanger.

It is a game changer. See the comment your responding to.

Without it, your fan base may not mind switching consoles. Simply put, it builds brand loyalty.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I have an Xbox One with copious amounts of BC and loads of excellent OG/360 games. I never turn it on.
I have a PS4 with no BC. I use it all the time to play brand new exclusives.

TBiddy

Xbox: Hey guys who cares about spiderman now you can replay call of duty black ops 2.

Xbox: lol we have eh re-core... Wait eh we also have eh Ryse Son Of Rome ok forget that eh Quantum Break anyone???..also Now you can replay Red Dead Redemption. Ha that that Sony.

Xbox: yeah who cares about exclusives no one buys a new 500 dollar system to play new games. Playing old games is far more important 😡

Yes, lets act like the Xbox doesn't have great exclusives. Jesus christ. This forum from time to time.

Pallas

It’s kind of weird seeing them come out and say BC is important when the PS4 wouldn’t even play PS1-PS2 games natively.

Hey while we are here Yoshida-San, can you go ahead and add PSP and Vita to PSN?

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

Along with some of the best Multiplayer games ever made being included in the Master Chief Collection (with major improvements to the MP experience), MS has Gears, Halo 5 and both Forza series for quality MP.

Yes, Sony does have the better single player exclusives by a good bit, but they are lacking in good MP games.

And it’s a beautiful thing to have such support for Backwards Compatibility. Don’t forget that it’s not just the ability to play old games, but many are heavily ed, though load time improvements, 4k, better frame rates, better anisotrophic filtering, etc.

Now, let’s look at some of the great games that the Xbox One’s BC lets people enjoy while staying connected online and without any extra hassle.

Morrowind
Oblivion
Mass Effect trilogy
SSX3
Ninja Gaiden trilogy
Soul Calibur 1 & 2
Banjo Kazooie & Tooie
Beyond Good and Evil
Metal Gear Solid 2, 3 and Peace Walker
Perfect Dark (n64 version)
Lost Odyssey
Kameo
Nights
Sonic Adventure 1&2
Sonic 3 and Knuckles

The fact is that it’s a pain to keep these old systems and one day they won’t work. Microsoft is showing us our past investments are being honored as will our future ones.

MilkyJoe

What a bell end 😂

DonJimbo

BC to ps4 was clear from the beginning because of same architecture
But what is with ps3 ps2 and psone bc
Sony learn from MS on this matter please

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Following Google's opening gambit for Stadia -- declaring that the next-generation has no need for a dedicated console thanks to the power of the cloud -- Ryan said Sony "believes in generations" and that developers and publishers both prefer a stable development environment rather than one that changes over time.

[...]

"We fully embraced the network area and have seen our business shift to have a significant portion be accounted for by digital downloads," he said. "But we never forced the digital model on anyone -- our hardware has always had a disc drive and that will continue with next-gen

Yes!
7ei57sibi3n21.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
BC to ps4 was clear from the beginning because of same architecture
But what is with ps3 ps2 and psone bc
Sony learn from MS on this matter please

I believe we shall see changes there as well... PSOne and PS2 wise (PS3 possibly a bit later...it is definitely in their best interest to crack the problem of emulating PS3 on a PC and PS5 HW and stop making custom PS3 based blades).

PS4 aside, Sony pushes BC in a wider way than MS, with less enhancements maybe, but with a lot more supported titles (see PS2 and PS3 and PSP/Vita BC)... problem is customers did not exactly reward for that back catalogue support.

The real game changer was digital downloads and customers expectation changing in terms of personal library.

Barakov

Backwards compatibility is a real nice bonus so I'm glad they're putting it in the PS5. Also I really like that Sony is going to continue the traditional model of a console that plays discs. They can keep the streaming stuff, though.

Top Bottom