• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus vs. Games With Gold 2016 Games Lineup

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PlayStation Plus ($49.99, $59.99 starting in October)
  1. A Virus Named TOM (Vita)
  2. Actual Sunlight (Vita)
  3. Amnesia: Memories (Vita)
  4. Badland: Game of the Year Edition (PS3) (PS4) (Vita)
  5. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 (PS3)
  6. Broforce (PS4)
  7. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (PS3)
  8. Code: Realize – Guardian of Rebirth (Vita)
  9. Color Guardians (PS4) (Vita)
  10. Costume Quest 2 (PS3)
  11. Datura (PS3)
  12. Dead Star (PS4)
  13. Dirt 3 (PS3)
  14. Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
  15. Echochrome (PS3)
  16. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
  17. Fat Princess (PS3)
  18. Flame Over (Vita)
  19. From Dust (PS3)
  20. Furi (PS4)
  21. Galak-Z: The Dimensional (PS4)
  22. God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) (Vita)
  23. God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PSP) (Vita)
  24. Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
  25. Grid Autosport (PS3)
  26. Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) (Vita)
  27. Hardware: Rivals (PS4)
  28. Helldivers: Democracy Strikes Back Edition (PS3) (PS4) (Vita)
  29. History Legends of War: Patton (Vita)
  30. Hyper Void (PS3)
  31. I Am Alive (PS3)
  32. Invisible, Inc. (PS4)
  33. Journey (PS3) (PS4)
  34. Lemmings Touch (Vita)
  35. Letter Quest Remastered (PS4) (Vita)
  36. Little Deviants (Vita)
  37. LocoRoco Cocoreccho! (PS3)
  38. Lords of the Fallen (PS4)
  39. Mad Riders (PS3)
  40. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
  41. NBA 2K16 (PS4)
  42. Nihilumbra (Vita)
  43. Nova-111 (PS3) (PS4) (Vita)
  44. Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Vita)
  45. Patapon 3 (PSP) (Vita)
  46. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
  47. PixelJunk: Nom Nom Galaxy (PS4)
  48. Prince of Persia: Revelations (PSP) (Vita)
  49. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (PS3)
  50. Pumped BMX+ (PS3) (PS4) (Vita)
  51. Reality Fighters (Vita)
  52. Rebel Galaxy (PS4)
  53. Resident Evil (PS4)
  54. Retro/Grade (PS3)
  55. Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (PS4)
  56. Savage Moon (PS3)
  57. Shutshimi (PS4) (Vita)
  58. Siren: Blood Curse (PS3)
  59. Stories: Path of Destinies (PS4)
  60. Super Stardust HD (PS3)
  61. Switch Galaxy Ultra (PS4) (Vita)
  62. Table Top Racing: World Tour (PS4)
  63. The Deadly Tower of Monsters (PS4)
  64. The Last Guy (PS3)
  65. Tiny Troopers Joint Ops (PS4) (Vita)
  66. Transformers: Devastation (PS4)
  67. Tricky Towers (PS4)
  68. Tropico 5 (PS4)
  69. Ultratron (PS3) (PS4) (Vita)
  70. VVVVVV (Vita)
  71. Yakuza 5 (PS3)
  72. Zombi (PS4)

XBOX Games With Gold ($59.99)
  1. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (XBOX ONE)
  2. Beyond Good & Evil HD (XBOX 360)
  3. Borderlands (XBOX 360)
  4. Burnout Paradise (XBOX 360)
  5. Costume Quest 2 (XBOX ONE)
  6. Dead Space (XBOX 360)
  7. Defense Grid 2 (XBOX ONE)
  8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (XBOX 360)
  9. DiRT Showdown (XBOX 360)
  10. Earthlock: Festival of Magic (XBOX ONE)
  11. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (XBOX 360)
  12. Forza Horizon (XBOX 360)
  13. Gears of War 2 (XBOX 360)
  14. Goat Simulator (XBOX ONE)
  15. Grid 2 (XBOX 360)
  16. Hand of Fate (XBOX ONE)
  17. I Am Alive (XBOX 360)
  18. Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition (XBOX ONE)
  19. Lords of the Fallen (XBOX ONE)
  20. Mirror's Edge (XBOX 360)
  21. Murdered: Soul Suspect (XBOX ONE)
  22. MX vs. ATV Reflex (XBOX 360)
  23. Outland (XBOX 360)
  24. Outlast (XBOX ONE)
  25. Peggle (XBOX 360)
  26. Sacred Citadel (XBOX 360)
  27. Saints Row IV (XBOX 360)
  28. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (XBOX ONE)
  29. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (XBOX ONE)
  30. Spelunky (XBOX 360)
  31. Styx: Master of Shadows (XBOX ONE)
  32. Sunset Overdrive (XBOX ONE)
  33. Super Dungeon Bros. (XBOX ONE)
  34. Super Meat Boy (XBOX 360)
  35. Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings (XBOX ONE)
  36. Supreme Commander 2 (XBOX 360)
  37. The Banner Saga 2 (XBOX ONE)
  38. The Crew (XBOX ONE)
  39. The Escapists (XBOX ONE)
  40. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (XBOX 360)
  41. The Wolf Among Us (XBOX ONE)
  42. Thief (XBOX ONE)
  43. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (XBOX 360)
  44. Tron: Evolution (XBOX 360)
  45. Tumblestone (XBOX ONE)
  46. Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (XBOX ONE)
  47. WWE 2K16 (XBOX ONE)
  48. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (XBOX 360)
  49. Zheros (XBOX ONE)
Are you getting your money's worth?
Do you subscribe to one service and not the other?
What's the main motivation, the games or the online play?
How many of these games have you completed, or at least played for more than an hour?
Are you planning on re-subscribing for 2017, or after you subscription runs out?

How could you not, value of these games is way more than price you pay. And quality wise, yes, I do.
Yup, PS+ and not XBL, cause I don't have my 360 anymore (at least, not in a 4000km radius around me :( )
Both. I don't really play online but I want to be able too when I want to. And I discover/get a lot of games I would have not played without them being on PS+.
How many of these games have you completed, or at least played for more than an hour?
I'd say above 40%, my backlog is horrendous and PS+ keep adding to it.
Are you planning on re-subscribing for 2017, or after you subscription runs out?
Yes, and my sub ends in 2019 so will see at that time.

L.O.R.D

actually,you can easily find it for $35 in most places,and it's region free.
also,plus games are just like rental,gold games are yours for good.
most of the plus games are trash games.

i don't have Xbox system anymore,but let's be honest here,Gold is better.

anyway,isn't VS threads is not allowed here?

MrBS

If the subs were for the games I'd cancel in a heartbeat. By the time the games I want hit the service I already own them so the point is moot. I'm not one for trying the debut stuff for curiosity's sake either as I've got plenty of games I've purchased in my backlog I already want to play.

I'm in for the sale discounts and online.

Hasney

I like Plus. Day of release Indies is when its at its best rather than years old retail games that are already cheaper than Indies. Bad value for money on those retail games and I've likely already got them.

I've enjoyed going back to a few 360 games on GWG but I think I'll cancel. I could have gotten those games cheaper individually.

I know this won't be a popular opinion.. but I think both services are great. Tons of awesome games for a few bucks a month including stuff I'd likely never try if it weren't for Gold/PS plus.

If I had to pick just one from 2016 though, I think Xbox takes it.

USF

LE1na7Bl.jpg

Toki767

Most of the games on Games with Gold that I'd be interested in, I've already played before they became free.

In that sense, I tend to enjoy PS+ offerings more.

I feel like I have. Half of the Xbox list are games that have already been offered to PS+ with the PS3 so none of it is outstanding unless you never had a 360 but being a subscriber for both... I'm satisfied. At the end of the day, I'm getting free games so it really doesn't matter to me..I'm willing to try anything new so if I'm getting it free...there really is no risk involved and it's fine.

Owning both console and not being a subscriber for either service I think it's safe to say that the Games with Golds list is way more appealing to me and reminiscent of the PS3+Vita era PS+ I was fond of.

yella

To answer your questions:

Definitely. Even though I owned a few that I haven't played before they became available on PS+, I'll end up playing at least half of the games (on each platform) that are on offer for PS4 and Vita. I also enjoy the benefits of Plus discounts on sales immensely.
Yes - PS Plus.
Both - I've amassed a decent haul of games on PS4, PS3 & Vita that I want to play at some point. Plus I play alot of fighters on PS4, so it's really a no-brainer. I don't agree with paying to play online, though I understand why it happened.
Less than 10... however that has more to do with the amount of games that I actually buy and the amount of time that I have to play games than anything else.
Yes, no quetion. I will never let my subscription lapse.

data

XBL wins just because of backwards compatability on the XBONE (I have a PS4)

Would dropping support for PS3 and/or PSVITA help PS4 games?

They are pitiful when we got big retail games last gen.
It probably costs pennies for Sony to get PS3 and Vita games on PS+. Especially Vita games.

I've gotten so much more out of my Plus sub this year(Though there were a lot more games given out there as well). Banner Saga 2 was the only gold game I spent any real time with.

Will resub for Plus for sure, Gold I'm not so sure about. Though PS4 is my primary multiplayer console and I barely use my Xbone anymore so that's not really saying much.

1) Absolutely, if it weren't for you list I wouldn't have believed PlayStation gave me 72 games this year.

2) The games (also PS+ Deals over 70% off), I almost never play online.

3) 20 games: Honorable mentions: SuperMeatBoy, Zombi, Tropico 5, Nom Nom Galaxy, Resident Evil, among others.

4) I'm sub till 2018.

mandiller

I have PS Plus because they force it with online multiplayer. I've barely played a lot of the Plus free titles. There are some indie gems but mostly just nothing spectacular.

It also doesn't help that I don't have a PS3 and they keep giving me PS3 games that don't work on the PS4. Make it backwards compatible and I'll be singing a lot more praises about Plus.

Games I actually enjoyed:

1. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
2. Furi (PS4)
3. Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
4. Grim Fandango
5. Journey (PS3) (PS4)

Gold list looks a little better because of BC. If you just compare PS4 to Xbox One they both kinda suck with only a few gems.

Honestly, if online multiplayer wasn't tied to either service, I'm not sure I'd subscribe. There've been a few games that I've enjoyed over the years that I might not have tried otherwise, but I don't think the selection doesn't do much to move the needle for me.

Dantis

Man, this highlights what a bad year it's been for Plus. Finished none of the games and Deadly Tower of Monsters is the only one I've put more than an hour into.

Really got my money's worth there, fuck me.

EmiPrime

I bought 2 years of Gold for £50 and 1 year of PS+ for £20 this year. Total no brainer, the savings I make in sales that are exclusive to subscribers alone means the services pay for themselves.

The Youtube gaming community is trash so no surprises there.

I don't have Xbox, but I'm letting my PS+ expire in December after the disappointing lineups and price increase. It'll just be cheaper to buy the games I want during PC sales.

softie

GWG: many old games I already got via PS+ or big PS+ savings years ago. Support of two platforms. Less games. 60€ a year (although you get it cheaper when looking out for deals).
PS+: actual new releases at launch of many indie titles. Huge variety. Supppport of three platforms, cheaper in EU by 10€ = 50€ (although you get it cheaper when looking out for deals).

PS+ right now is like the beginnings of old PS+ days.

I like the old PS+ days, so PS+ is far better in my opinion.

Coxy100

Banned
Those two games are actually great though, despite the masses of dislikes that will literally happen every single time PS+ games are announced if they aren't AAA titles.
They might be good - but when compared to the Xbox line up for December...

Triple AAA vs indie

Chris1

Are you getting your money's worth? Yes
Do you subscribe to one service and not the other? Yes(Don't have a Playstation)
What's the main motivation, the games or the online play? It started out online play but even if they dropped it I'd keep my sub, so I guess it's changed to the games.
How many of these games have you completed, or at least played for more than an hour? Completed about 20 of them (not necessarily when they were given away but in the past too). Played maybe 30 for at least an hour, and about 45 for at least 30 minutes (again not necessarily when they were given away). I try them all except ones I know I won't like (WWE, Baseball).
Are you planning on re-subscribing for 2017, or after you subscription runs out? Yes

vg260

How could you not, value of these games is way more than price you pay. And quality wise, yes, I do.

I honestly wouldn't have purchased any of these if they weren't included, so that's not really a factor for me. Anything I'm actually interested in playing I would have purchased, so I usually just claim them for the heck of it.

I still have trouble finding the value I paid for for these services, especially for PSN recently for me, given the issues with download speed.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
XBL had the better lineup for me although I might have felt differently if I didn't already own Yakuza 5.

They might be good - but when compared to the Xbox line up for December...
Triple AAA vs indie

You mean Outlast that is an indie game and was free on release for PS+ last year ? And Sleeping Dogs that is a port of a last gen game, and was 5$ multiple times in the last few months.
I agree some months for Gold are good, but I would not call December one of them according to your standards. Even though, yes, these are very good games.

Coxy100

Banned
What kind of AAA are you talking about? Sleepping Dogs? Was a PS+ game in 2013!
Doesn't matter how old it is. It's about perception. The average consumer couldn't give a shit about indie titles. They see sleeping dogs vs titles they've never heard of = shit compared to the Xbox offering.

Like I said thy might be good - and I'm looking forward to playing them - but there's no doubt for me in terms of value ps plus does seem worse off

BigEmil

actually,you can easily find it for $35 in most places
Comparing official prices what most people pay for the services, PS+ can also be found discounted from cdkeys and most places also too and XBL is not $35 everywhere as you claim
also,plus games are just like rental,gold games are yours for good.
Only 360 games, XB1's is also rental
most of the plus games are trash games.
Subjective just like I think most XBL games are old trash
i don't have Xbox system anymore,but let's be honest here,Gold is better.
Also Subjective which not everyone will agree with you also.

On top of that you get more games across more systems from Plus hard to agree with you

I generally pre-pay for a couple of years at any given time and normally pick it up when discounted. The last time I payed full price for live was on the Xbox with Project Gotham 2.

I only subscribe to Xbox live now. I used to subscribe to PS+ but since I didn't play online on that console as much as Xbox I unsubbed 4 months ago and not looked back.

Online play, I hardly think about the games.

Quite a lot of those games I had already bought and played through, same applied to PS+ I was getting games I already owned and previously bought. I don't have any issues with that, if I buy and play a game then I got what I paid and what I was willing to pay for it.

I am subbed upto Dec 2019 thanks to the Black Friday Amazon Xbox live deal, 2 years for £49.98. Take me over Scorpio launch.

I never subscribed to PS+ on PS3 but again that was because a lot of the games they offered I had already bought and played through so it just didn't make sense to subscribe.

sensui-tomo

I got Warriors orochi 3 ultimate on xbox one... sony hasnt given me anything like that this half of the year sadly except with transformers. but eh i'm playing online less and less on consoles so i'll probably let my suscriptions expire since i'm playing on pc nowadays.

softie

Doesn't matter how old it is. It's about perception. The average consumer couldn't give a shit about indie titles. They see sleeping dogs vs titles they've never heard of = shit compared to the Xbox offering.

Like I said thy might be good - and I'm looking forward to playing them - but there's no doubt for me in terms of value ps plus does seem worse off
Ok so in context of perception you see two old games from 2013 you likely played vs two new ones from 2016 you likely didn't played and think the old ones are better?

Ps+ is in a whole other league.

I often forget to even download the Xbox games with gold and I probably wouldn't have resubscribed if I didn't get it for $30 or so.

Omitat

Neo Member
So 33 PS4 games and around 49 games that play on Xbox One, including the BC games (not sure if they are all BC?).

PS Plus games won't be accessible after your sub lapses while Xbox 360 games will remain yours even without a subscription.

I own both consoles and use online services for both. It feels like the consumer wins more with Xbox.

pra2veen

Neo Member
PlayStation Plus ($49.99, $59.99 starting in October)

Kinda, I'm starting to get to the point where I don't have time to play most of them so I'd much rather just buy what I want. Although I got mine for $35.

I used to subscribe to PS+ and Xbox Live Gold, but I let PS+ expire over a year ago.

Online play, which is why I kept Xbox Live, PS+ has always been shoddy compared to it. The games didn't matter much, both services offer similar value, hence why I kept one and just buy multiplayer games for it.

A few here and there, I was really happy about getting Banner Saga 2, one of the few I actually finished.

We'll see, I haven't really been using it much lately, I think mine runs out at the end of 2017.

I'm glad with my gold suscription despite I played only a couple of those.
EA Access beats both services by a mile.

EA Access is phenomenal value for what you get $30 a year. Part of the reason I'm keeping XBL honestly.

jm89

Why not give killzone or knack away? They can't be making any worth while sales to keep them away from psplus. We're 3 years into this generation i was expecting more non indy stuff from 2013/2014.

Top Bottom