• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus vs. Games With Gold 2016 Games Lineup

TwiztidElf

I have both, but Xbox smashed it. Only because of BC though really. 2012 GOTY is on the below list ffs.
Burnout Paradise (XBOX 360)
Dead Space (XBOX 360)
DiRT Showdown (XBOX 360)
Forza Horizon (XBOX 360)
Gears of War 2 (XBOX 360)
Grid 2 (XBOX 360)
Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition (XBOX ONE)
Saints Row IV (XBOX 360)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (XBOX ONE)
Spelunky (XBOX 360)
Sunset Overdrive (XBOX ONE)
The Crew (XBOX ONE)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (XBOX 360)

I've been really happy with the GWG offerings. Even when it's a game I already own, like Sunset Overdrive, it is nice to get a digital copy of it.

Are you getting your money's worth?
Absolutely. It works out less than £3 per month. Never had a problem with playing online and even if there was only one game every 3-4 months that I was interested, I get plenty of bang for my buck.

Do you subscribe to one service and not the other?
PSN - if I had an Xbox, I would subscribe to the other.

What's the main motivation, the games or the online play?
At this stage, both.

How many of these games have you completed, or at least played for more than an hour?
Half a dozen, I would say - however, I haven’t had the time to play as many games as I would like to this year and I haven’t had time to play through all the games I’ve purchased. There’s at 15 games that I’ve got this year through PSN that I really want to try but haven’t gotten round to.

Also, there were a few games (e.g. Transformers: Devastation) that I already had, which affects my answer

Are you planning on re-subscribing for 2017, or after you subscription runs out?
Absolutely.

EhoaVash

i only used ps+ for like 3 months this year, got journey, Furi and that one dark souls ripoff game forgot the name,.....furi was decent the other 2 were meh

looking at that list, the only game I would even bother to try form the PS+ list are RE1remake and Transformers devestation..the rest are really ehhhhhhh. yeah not going to sub to it again since i don't even play online multiplayer games on ps4 anyway.

So this is the list of games on PS+ that I was interested in, discounting some good games that I owned already:

Amnesia: Memories (Vita)
Code: Realize – Guardian of Rebirth (Vita)
Dirt 3 (PS3)
Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
From Dust (PS3)
Furi (PS4)
Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4)
Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) (Vita)
I Am Alive (PS3)
Invisible, Inc. (PS4)
Letter Quest Remastered (PS4) (Vita)
Lords of the Fallen (PS4)
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (Vita)
Patapon 3 (PSP) (Vita)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
Resident Evil (PS4)
The Last Guy (PS3)
Transformers: Devastation (PS4)
Tricky Towers (PS4)
Tropico 5 (PS4)
VVVVVV (Vita)
Yakuza 5 (PS3)
Zombi (PS4)

I dunno, that lineup worked pretty well for me.

flozuki

PlayStation Plus ($49.99, $59.99 starting in October)

XBOX Games With Gold ($59.99)

Are you getting your money's worth?
How many of these games have you completed, or at least played for more than an hour?
Are you planning on re-subscribing for 2017, or after you subscription runs out?

Well, I got Rapture and Resident Evil for PS4 (I already own Transformers, Grim Fandango and Journey) and nothing for XBOX (since I already own Sleeping Dogs, Outlast, Costume Quest on PS4 and Goat Simulator and Sunset Overdrive on XBOX). So I have to say no when looking at what games I got and liked. I have tested much more on both systems though so I would say it is kind of ok but normally you only need one of these services if it is just about the free games. I also like the discounts you get here and there and since I use both Online services frequently to play there is no way to do a cut for me on either one at the moment but who knows what next year brings.

It also will be hard for both to beat Sonys Rocket League deal last year. I still play that on a regular basis and I can´t say that about many games after such a long time.

hank_tree

Comparing official prices what most people pay for the services, PS+ can also be found discounted from cdkeys and most places also too and XBL is not $35 everywhere as you claim

Only 360 games, XB1's is also rental
Subjective just like I think most XBL games are old trash
Also Subjective which not everyone will agree with you also.

On top of that you get more games across more systems from Plus hard to agree with you

Thank you for your unbiased opinions. :)

Jawmuncher

Overall for my taste's xbox one had the better offers. Less games, but higher chance to offer more that appeals to me. You can tell Sony spreads itself too thin some months and you get a lot of trash across the board.

1.Are you getting your money's worth?
-I never get my money's worth since I rarely play the games both offer

-I subscribe to both

-Online play with friends, though games do make me keep the sub just in case.

-Like 1 maybe?

-Yes because I have to.

Most if not all of the non-exclusives on that list were PS+ games years ago.

Yeah, I don't know why I should be impressed by GWG titles that have been in my Plus library for 4 years. Hell, The Crew and Blood Dragon were both just free on PC. If Plus games are Humble Bundle trash, what does that make Games With Gold?

KORNdoggy

Yeah, I don't know why I should be impressed by GWG titles that have been in my Plus library for 4 years. Hell, The Crew and Blood Dragon were both just free on PC. If Plus games are Humble Bundle trash, what does that make Games With Gold?

Basicaly MS are playing catch up to what sony already gave away upwards of 4 years ago. And sony are leaning too heavily on indie.

One of them at least gives me games i've not played though. So sony wins by default. They could do with more retail titles though.

Given my backlog, the price of PS+ and all the other stuff we get (especially the additional discounts), I'm happy if only a few games I want are added to PS+ each year and that's exactly what I got. So I'm perfectly happy with it.

LewieP

I let my PS+ subscription lapse. I didn't feel like the selection of PS4 games was worth the subscription fee any more.

Acerac

Banned
This is like arguing which one is less crappy

I'd feel both services would be more worthwhile if they weren't tied to online play. At the moment they both exist solely to prevent me from buying either system they're associated with.

Comparing official prices what most people pay for the services, PS+ can also be found discounted from cdkeys and most places also too and XBL is not $35 everywhere as you claim

Only 360 games, XB1's is also rental
Subjective just like I think most XBL games are old trash
Also Subjective which not everyone will agree with you also.

On top of that you get more games across more systems from Plus hard to agree with you

You can play all four Xbox games on an Xbox one though. That's objectively better. I have only a PS4 so 4 out of those 6 games are completely useless to me while all 4 of the live games are playable for me on my Xbox one.

Most if not all of the non-exclusives on that list were PS+ games years ago.

We're not talking about years ago. We're talking about now. The thread title does say 2016 doesn't it? A lot of people switched from 360 to PS4 so they wouldn't have gotten those games.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Dranakin

I've been subscribing to PS+ since it launched on PS3 and just started with XBL Gold in the past month since I'm new to Xbox. Based on the games I've received so far and on the list in OP, Games with Gold has been far superior. Every since PS+ became mandatory for PS4 online, the offerings have been crap.

2SeeKU

Whilst there has been some standouts on the PS4 (Resident Evil, Tropico 5, Table Top Racing: World Tour), GWG is the clear winner in 2016 due to:

Beyond Good & Evil HD (XBOX 360)
Borderlands (XBOX 360)
Burnout Paradise (XBOX 360)
Dead Space (XBOX 360)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (XBOX 360)
DiRT Showdown (XBOX 360)
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (XBOX 360)
Forza Horizon (XBOX 360)
Killer Instinct Season 1 Ultra Edition (XBOX ONE)
Mirror's Edge (XBOX 360)
Murdered: Soul Suspect (XBOX ONE)
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (XBOX ONE)
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition (XBOX ONE)
Spelunky (XBOX 360)
Sunset Overdrive (XBOX ONE)
Super Meat Boy (XBOX 360)
The Crew (XBOX ONE)
The Escapists (XBOX ONE)
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (XBOX 360)
The Wolf Among Us (XBOX ONE)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (XBOX 360)

I dunno, most of the Xbone AAA games I've played already through PS+ on PS3.
Tend to prefer the variety and new indie games on offer with PS+, though they are some real stinkers sprinkled in from time to time.

If you like older AAA games, Gold seems a better deal thanks to bc.

Machina

Banned
Very sadly, PS Plus value has diminished greatly this year. It has pushed me further and further towards PC as my primary gaming device.

Cookie18

I've had Plus since the very first month and I always loved it, it was one of the main reasons I stopped playing 360 and started playing my PS3 more. Since the PS4 came out it has honestly been complete shit almost every month. I don't remember the last time I actually downloaded a game from it. I've added them to my library but I have zero interest in them.

Games with gold I have been pleasantly surprised with. Like I said I switched completely last gen so I didn't get a Xbox One right away but once I did I have to say I am very happy every month with the games they offer. I really have had my monies worth from it.

If the PS4 wasn't my main console I would cancel Plus. I rarely play my Xbox but I will keep my subscription anyway because they are consistently good.

I finally let my XBL Gold lapse this year, didn't find GwG compelling like previous years when I already had most of the offerings I wanted.

PS+ has had a few months where I owned the key titles but more often than not there were great additions, this month has 5 titles I've looked at buying previously.

Helps that I play my Vita a fair bit!

We're not talking about years ago. We're talking about now. The thread title does say 2016 doesn't it? A lot of people switched from 360 to PS4 so they wouldn't have gotten those games.

So Sony's problem is they gave away too many games in past years and they don't want to give out duplicates... That said, I'm not sure why 9 year old 360 games are considered so much more valuable than far more recent titles on PS4. You've had nearly a decade to play stuff like Burnout which has been extremely cheap either used or digitally on PC and XBL.

You can play all four Xbox games on an Xbox one though. That's objectively better. I have only a PS4 so 4 out of those 6 games are completely useless to me while all 4 of the live games are playable for me on my Xbox one.

Four of December's games are PS4 compatible.

Lothars

Both lists are pretty good but I find that on average plus is better than games for gold.

I really don't understand the shit Sony gets for PS+ games when the quality is pretty high but honestly it seems like the same posters every time.

It doesn't matter if it was years ago or not if it was offered on PS+ and just offered on games for gold, it doesn't make the ps+ offering any less.

Cday

Banned
The BC aspect makes this no contest. I don't have to fool with multiple systems and the games often perform better than on the original hardware.

I like Plus because it lets me get and play games I normally would have never played since they didn't interest me enough to buy. It actually introduced me to some of my favorite games of all time this way.

Smaller games don't get the coverage they need to gain a following, PS+ allows me to jump in and try them kinda risk free. If I end up liking them I usually end up buying them on PC (if they are available).

Animagne

I have subscribed to both for majority of the year. I have all 3 sony consoles, I use the ps+ discounts and multiplayer, so I am definitely getting my moneys worth there. However, my 360 is no longer hooked up to my tv and I do not own xbox one myself. I play xbox one at my office quite frequently, which means it's almost always multiplayer.

The Games with Gold selection compared with PS+ is horrible for local multiplayer. I wish it had more indies instead of all these A / old AAA titles, like broforce or rocket league, which were on ps+.

I really like the discounts you get with PS+, and even though they only have a few games I want to play for free, it's enough to justify the price. I really like that you get games across 3 systems, espexially on the Vita.

GWG I haven't had for as long, so I haven't really taken advantage of any sales. But I do find the free games to be a bit better.

I'll definitely keep my PS+ subscription because I have such a large library at this point and the discounts are good.
GWG I'll probably only resubscribe once I get a good deal on it (which was the only reason I got a year sub in the first place).

acm2000

The own vs rental argument still holds, GWG games are yours to play forever as long as you have gold, where as psn+ removes games like a rental service (unless that's changed?)

The own vs rental argument still holds, GWG games are yours to play forever as long as you have gold, where as psn+ removes games like a rental service (unless that's changed?)

I'm pretty sure XB1 games only stay as long as your subbed.
Not sure if that's the case for 360 bc titles.

acm2000

OléGunner;225748812 said:
I'm pretty sure XB1 games only stay as long as your subbed.
Not sure if that's the case for 360 bc titles.

I said that, but if your sub lapses you get them back when you resub. The point was once in your library they're there forever

I subscribe to both and I think I get my money's worth although I wouldn't pay more than $40 for either.

As far as the free games go like others have said 360 BC puts Gold ahead pretty handily, but I'd even say that on the XB1 / PS4 side of things Gold edged PS+ out. Sunset Overdrive was the best current gen free game all year.

If you own all three Sony platforms, PS+ seems like a solid-enough value. Having four titles a month guaranteed to play on the current main platform gives XBL Gold a significant boost to its consistency and overall worth for most people who only own X1, though. That you'll keep two of them permanently regardless of active subscription status puts it well above its competition, IMO. Personally, I'm more satisfied by and play what Gold offers for my X1 far more than what I get from PS+ for my PS3 & PS4. Even though the offerings aren't always interesting or good, I don't feel it's as big a deal when I stack up discounted one-year subs for both services, blunting any real disappointment. PS+ isn't what it used to be in the pre-PS4 days, that's for sure, while Gold has improved substantially. All of this said, I'd like to see a further evolution that offers the user a choice of relinquishing current titles on an account to digitally trade in for something from an EA Access-like vault.

I obly have ps+ and I would have had more fun with gwg. The only + game I put any length of time into this year has been tropico 5. After a few years of this with the ps4 I have no reason to renew this Feb.

acm2000

I obly have ps+ and I would have had more fun with gwg. The only + game I put any length of time into this year has been tropico 5. After a few years of this with the ps4 I have no reason to renew this Feb.

When they remove a game for psn+ you can still play it if you got it at the time? That's fair enough then

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
When they remove a game for psn+ you can still play it if you got it at the time? That's fair enough then

Of course. You thought it would go away after a month? Or did you think you couldn't play it if you let your subscription lapse and then renewed?

I said that, but if your sub lapses you get them back when you resub. The point was once in your library they're there forever

I let my PS+ sub lapse and didn't lose my games when I re-subbed

I only have PS+ for online gaming. I usually buy the games I like and I've been burned many times but I usually don't wait and hope for a game to end up in PS+. Sometimes a game like Furi will be on Ps+ day 1 which is pretty cool

notaskwid

I like how games that were part of psplus 2 or 3 years ago are used as proof on how gold is better than plus.

Either way, I still sub for plus but rarely get around to play many of the games. This month I'll be sure to play Stories though.

Top Bottom