• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Yearly Cost Soars by 600% in Turkey, Sparking Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.png

ISTANBUL, TURKEY - Sony Interactive Entertainment has left Turkish PlayStation Plus subscribers stunned and infuriated as they announced a staggering price increase of over 600% for the yearly subscription service. Effective immediately, the yearly cost has surged from 400 Turkish Lira (TRY) to a jaw-dropping 2,340 TRY, sending shockwaves through the gaming community.
While this decision may have sent shockwaves through the gaming community, it has certainly pleased investors, who eagerly anticipate higher profits for the Japanese tech giant. Bloomberg (paywall) reported that Sony's shares in Tokyo increased by an impressive 3.4% on Friday, marking the company's most significant gain in over a month.

CLSA analyst Amit Garg suggested that this substantial price hike could translate to an additional $378 million in annual operating profits for Sony, with the possibility of further increases on the horizon. However, the move does not come without risks. Recent surveys indicate that half of Push Square's readers polled are considering downgrading their subscription tier or canceling their PlayStation Plus subscriptions altogether.
The magnitude of this price increase has taken many by surprise, with the annual cost of the most basic PlayStation Plus Extra membership leaping from 400 TRY to 2,340 TRY in Turkey. Sony's introduction of new subscription tiers appears to have been effective in increasing the average revenue per user. Nevertheless, the company now faces the daunting task of retaining its roughly 50 million subscribers worldwide who may choose not to renew their subscriptions in the wake of this substantial price hike.
For Turkish gamers who have long enjoyed the perks of PlayStation Plus, this dramatic price hike represents a tough pill to swallow. As the gaming community watches closely to see how this decision impacts Sony's subscriber base, it remains to be seen whether the promise of increased profits will outweigh the potential loss of loyal customers. PlayStation Plus subscribers in Turkey, as well as across the globe, will undoubtedly be keeping a close eye on how this story unfolds in the coming months.
New prices are:
- Essential for 1400 TRY (up from 240 TRY)
- Extra for 2340 TRY (up from 400 TRY)
- Deluxe for 2740 TRY (up from 460 TRY)

So still a bit cheaper than EU prices and in-line with new prices in Malaysia and Thailand.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Am I missing something? If it's effective immediately why is it showing monthly as 70 for deluxe on the playstation website?

midnightAI

For those unaware this drastic increase is most likely due to the countless number of people from communities like hotukdeals abusing the lower regional pricing on the Turkish PSN. It's quite sad as the legit Turkish players have been screwed over pretty bad here...
No, article is dumb

Nothing To See Here GIF by South Park

Last edited:

Thief1987

Article is quite a mess because
with the annual cost of the most basic PlayStation Plus Essential membership leaping from 400 TRY to 2,340 TRY in Turkey
It's not Essential, it's price of Extra. Essential cost 240TL. Deluxe - 460. Also on my console it still show old prices, where did they get their info?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

We all used the VPN tricks one too many times.

Still, 600% holy fucking shit ....
You can't change your store region on your PSN, so people have been using a separate Turkish account just for the cheaper online play?
Article is quite a mess because

It's not Essential, it's price of Extra. Essential cost 240TL. Deluxe - 460. Also on my console it still show old prices, where did they get their info?
No idea, they show a screen grab of a Google sponsored ad, which probably not the most reliable.

Elysium44

Banned
Other sources say the price is going up by a third, not by 600%. And it's justifiable because of the weak Turkish currency.

edit the next day - the 600% is correct after all, but my other point still stands.

Last edited:
You can't change your store region on your PSN, so people have been using a separate Turkish account just for the cheaper online play?

No idea, they show a screen grab of a Google sponsored ad, which probably not the most reliable.
I haven't used this Turkey PSN trick, but basically you just had to create a Turkish PSN account and then you could use one of those Turkish virtual credit card services to bypass Sony's billing requirement.

Last edited:

mystech

Whether the article is true or false it sure does bring up a great point about these companies catering to their investors over their customers. It seems like these multi-billion dollar companies will throw their loyal supporters under the bus just to make an extra 2% over the previous year.

It’s an issue that has become a lot more apparent the past 5 years or so. Also a big reason why new IPs are rare and unique ideas are even more rare (except for indies).

Last edited:

midnightAI

I haven't used this Turkey PSN trick, but basically you just had to create a Turkish PSN account and then you could use one of those Turkish virtual credit card services to bypass Sony's billing requirement.
Have a look yourself if you have a VPN, it isn't 2340 TL a month, that would make it £70 GBP... a month

I know Turkeys economy is a mess, but come on

Last edited:

Three

It stabilised a little after the elections but there was crazy devaluation against other currency for a little while. This sucks though. Prices it out for a lot of people there I'm guessing.

midnightAI

It stabilised a little after the elections but there was crazy devaluation against other currency for a little while. This sucks though. Prices it out for a lot of people there I'm guessing.
Well, no, because the Playstation Store website still shows it as 70 per month, so until we see an actual increase on the site or there is some official pricing then I'd take this article with a pinch of salt. At the moment it just looks like their Google-Fu is out of whack

Last edited:

Three

Whether the article is true or false it sure does bring up a great point about these companies catering to their investors over their customers. It seems like these multi-billion dollar companies will throw their loyal supporters under the bus just to make an extra 2% over the previous year.

It’s an issue that has become a lot more apparent the past 5 years or so. Also a big reason why new IPs are rare and unique ideas are even more rare (except for indies).
I think this is what happens when you rely more and more on subscriptions as your revenue driver and so you can't let those pricing discrepancies go under the radar. Prices become global or content becomes local only. Those are the only choices because people use it to subscribe from somewhere else at a drastically cheaper price.

Have a look yourself if you have a VPN, it isn't 2340 TL a month, that would make it £70 GBP... a month

I think PSN does their backend update for their European stores at or around 17 - 18 CEST so we'll have a wait 1-2h to see if the reporting is indeed true or false. For example, in my region I still have the old yearly price for the PS+ essential tier (new pricing is £59.99 for this plan).

image.png

Last edited:

midnightAI

I think PSN does their backend update for their European stores at or around 17 - 18 CEST so we'll have a wait 1-2h to see if the reporting is indeed true or false. For example, in my region I still have the old yearly price for the PS+ essential tier.

image.png
Yes, but it also says the current pricing per month is 400TL and it isn't, it's 70, so either way that site is wrong

Last edited:

NickFire

Lackluster game showings early summer. Massive price increases for online multiplayer end of summer.

It's like someone at Sony decided to burn as much good will as possible this summer, and then got promoted and given a flamethrower,

Thief1987

Yes, but it also says the current pricing per month is 400TL and it isn't, it's 70, so either way that site is wrong
It's just a mess article by itself, in one place it says "monthly" price, in other "annual". So yeah, need to wait for the actual increase, so far it's old prices.

midnightAI

Then idk what to tell you, probably some bad reporting from the journo.
Most likely, but even if it did increase 600% all it would do is pull it in line with pricing in other countries, currently they are paying the equivalent of £2 a month for premium

(And yes, I know that isn't the full story about economics and you can't do direct conversion)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Holy shit. 2,340 Turkish bucks is $120 CDN. Turks are paying even more than us Canucks! I don’t know what the real updated CDN price is for essentials but there’s no way it’d be $120 when the US is $80. At the US/CDN exchange rates it all probably be around $105-110.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This has got to be the biggest price hike ever.

At 2,340 Turkish dollars, that converts to $87 US. That’s even more than US region.

Who knew Turkish people were rich!?!?!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
FYI hotukdeals has basically been hotturkeydeals for all things PlayStation for at least 3 years now.

Digital first party games are often like £15-£20 on sale when they’re on sale for £30-£35 on the UK store. Same for subscriptions, dirt cheap.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
FYI hotukdeals has basically been hotturkeydeals for all things PlayStation for at least 3 years now.

Digital first party games are often like £15-£20 on sale when they’re on sale for £30-£35 on the UK store. Same for subscriptions, dirt cheap.
Anything like this for the US accounts?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why can’t they have free online multiplayer and actually have fees for the tiers, ps plus, catalogs? Because it makes too much sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Steam keys, regional price discrepancies, bargain digital codes etc…. Unless some of these sites are selling stolen keys for cheap, it goes to show how dirt cheap this stuff really is to sell to resellers. Steam would have games selling for $50 in the US and the charts people would post show Russia or Argentina at $12.

Last edited:

SLoco

Neo Member
For people not aware Playstation dosent have regional stores for lot countries so players had to use fake address and usually put em on cheapest store:Turkish and Argentina.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
New prices are:
- Essential for 1400 TRY (up from 240 TRY)
- Extra for 2340 TRY (up from 400 TRY)
- Deluxe for 2740 TRY

So still a bit chepaer than EU prices and in-line with new prices in Malaysia and Thailand.

3tZE76d.png
If that’s the new price for essentials in turkey then it’s more reasonable.

The article said essentials tier is going up to 2,340.

If that’s the new price for essentials in turkey then it’s more reasonable.

The article said essentials tier is going up to 2,340.
The article never made any sense.
Yeah, seems that the journo had PS+ Essential mixed up with Extra. In any case, the headline remains true as it is indeed a 600% increase for both PS+ Essential and Extra tiers on the Turkish PSN.

Cheers dotnotbot dotnotbot for the correct deets!

I'm also updating the OP since so many of you are getting hung up on that mistake.

Also tagging midnightAI midnightAI

Last edited:
Yeah, seems that the journo had PS+ Essential mixed up with Extra. In any case, the headline remains true as it is indeed a 600% increase for both PS+ Essential and Extra tiers.

Cheers dotnotbot dotnotbot for the correct deets!

I'm also updating the OP since so many of you are getting hung up on that mistake.
The title and article also mention Monthly cost when it looks like its about annual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom