• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Pulse Explore Review

Are you getting the Pulse Explore earbuds?

• Yes, I already preordered

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Maybe sometime after they launch

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • No, I have no interest in the Pulse Explore

Votes: 95 62.9%

• Total voters

Trilobit

I love the uniform design language in every single detail Sony has with PS5 products. Wonderful!

ePyzN18.png

FrankWza

Been messing with these for a few days now. So far pretty awesome. Have to find the right fit and I ended up using foams because I'm not a fan of silicone. OTG works great but so far only tried on phone. Definitely an improvement when comparing same to standard Bluetooth. Battery life is as stated but maybe a bit less when using simultaneous connection but not substantial. Bluetooth during simultaneous is more than fine when listening to podcasts. I'll start comparing to my setup with PS5 and Portal. Not having ANC is not an issue if you get a good fit and seal.
I'm going to really stress getting the right size tips. Changes everything, especially bass.
One nice touch about this case that people are overlooking when they complain about it's bulk is that you can buy aftermarket tips or use other, larger tips and the Explores will still sit and charge without having to press down to establish connection. It's worth the effort.

Edit: should add Sony xm bud tips work

Last edited:

Elios83

I've been using these for a few days.
Keep in mind that in terms of earbuds I'm used to quite high standards.
I've got the Sony WF-1000XM5 wireless earbuds, I was using the Sennheiser IE200 and the Bose Quietcomfort 20 as wired options.

The good:
The sound quality is excellent and absolutely comparable with high end options.
3D audio in games sounds great and this is pretty much the reason I personally bought them.
The ribbon like design is peculiar but personally I find them really comfortable with the smaller tips.
They're dual protocol and you can simultaneously listen audio from your PS5 and your smartphone. This is quite a cool feature.

The bad:
There is no way to turn them off by touching them or with a button and if you remove a earbud from your ear it won't pause your music.
There are volume controls buttons on the earbuds but they work only with PS5.
They don't have active noise cancellation but the passive isolation with the right tip is pretty good.
While the peak volume is more than adequate for games and movies I think it's a bit low for music.

So in conclusion I think they're fantastic for gaming and to enjoy 3D audio.
But because of some limitations if want to use them for other applications like listening to music outside home, I'd use an other product like the 1000XM5.

Last edited:

FrankWza

There are volume controls buttons on the earbuds but they work only with PS5.
They work when connected to Link. I've been using them with my phone via OTG and the adapter and volume keys and mic work and they sound fantastic with phone calls and Apple music app and lossless, hi res 24 192 over cellular. The mic and mic A.I.works as well and it does an incredible job of blocking noise.
While the peak volume is more than adequate for games and movies I think it's a bit low for music.
Another plus for OTG. They're much louder than BT. Also, try raising the volume on the headphones all the way and then control from your device. I think they kind of reset to mid volume if you dock them. Mine also got louder the better fit I got with the tips. It's worth experimenting.
But they were definitely made for Link first and Bluetooth second.

They don't have active noise cancellation but the passive isolation with the right tip is pretty good.
100% I even tried them while walking around and they block enough noise outdoors that they're borderline dangerous to use. I like hybrids for when I'm out because I don't want to not hear what I need to hear. Anyone worried about it not having ANC has nothing to worry about for gaming indoors.
They're dual protocol and you can simultaneously listen audio from your PS5 and you're smartphone. This is quite a cool feature.
An awesome feature. I'm glad they included this and the mic a. I. instead of anc. They're wireless, lossless gaming earbuds first and foremost.

Last edited:

mako

Has anyone tested any of the Comply or other brand foam tips with them?

The foam tips for my WF-1000XM4 definitely don't fit.

They work when connected to Link. I've been using them with my phone via OTG and the adapter and volume keys and mic work and they sound fantastic with phone calls and Apple music app and lossless, hi res 24 192 over cellular. The mic and mic A.I.works as well and it does an incredible job of blocking noise.

Another plus for OTG. They're much louder than BT. Also, try raising the volume on the headphones all the way and then control from your device. I think they kind of reset to mid volume if you dock them. Mine also got louder the better fit I got with the tips. It's worth experimenting.
But they were definitely made for Link first and Bluetooth second.

100% I even tried them while walking around and they block enough noise outdoors that they're borderline dangerous to use. I like hybrids for when I'm out because I don't want to not hear what I need to hear. Anyone worried about it not having ANC has nothing to worry about for gaming indoors.

An awesome feature. I'm glad they included this and the mic a. I. instead of anc. They're wireless, lossless gaming earbuds first and foremost.
What is OTG?
Is there a way to pause/play music/podcasts/youtube etc on the iPhone? So far I'll probably stick with the airpods for my phone for this reason alone, although maybe i can get used to pausing from my watch.
I also feel like I haven't found the right tips yet. I need to try other tips more. It seems for my right ear the biggest was the only one that felt snug, but it also can make that ear feel different at times. So it's bothering me.

FrankWza

I thought the ones I was using were from Sony xm but it's possible I used a different one. I'll check when I get home. It's possible they're momentum sized.
What is OTG
It's an adapter that allows a external USB device to to connect to smaller USB ports. Mouse and keyboard or hard drives. In this case the Link adapter connects to your phone and the Explores connect to Link adapter.
Is there a way to pause/play music/podcasts/youtube etc on the iPhone?
From the budsI don't think so.
I also feel like I haven't found the right tips yet. I need to try other tips more. It seems for my right ear the biggest was the only one that felt snug, but it also can make that ear feel different at times. So it's bothering me.
Definitely worth a try. I'm going to check which buds tips definitely fit as I replied above you to save you guys some time and you can order correctly. I have a bunch so I might have made a mistake with the size.

Hopefully somebody can answer a couple questions. I've been trying to get my hands on these but no luck so far.

1. I know with the Pulse headset you can leave the dongle plugged in and it only switches when you turn the headset on. Is it the same with these? I currently use the Soundcore VR P10 and I have to remove the annoyingly small dongle every time I don't want to use them which is annoying.
2. Does anybody know how many dongles you can use? I would get an extra for my PC but it might be nice to have a third for the switch dock.

FrankWza

I also feel like I haven't found the right tips yet. I need to try other tips more

XM5 tips work. I was using different tips from Sony wires buds but I have foams made for the XM5 and they fit. I'm pretty sure any Sony buds tips should fit. They definitely skimped on the included silicone. The sizes aren't great and not enough variations in sizes. They're too similar.

FrankWza

1. I know with the Pulse headset you can leave the dongle plugged in and it only switches when you turn the headset on. Is it the same with these? I currently use the Soundcore VR P10 and I have to remove the annoyingly small dongle every time I don't want to use them which is annoying.
Mine have switched when removed from the dock after a redock. Since there is no on/off switch. If the Portal and PS5 are on and it's already on the PS5 I have to re dock the buds sometimes. Otherwise, I have to press the button on the Portal.

2. Does anybody know how many dongles you can use? I would get an extra for my PC but it might be nice to have a third for the switch dock.
I have been able to switch between the PS5 or Portal and my phone by just redocking because my phone will connect via Bluetooth if I don't. I have a third dongle that I have not set up yet but I'll bump this when I do.

XM5 tips work. I was using different tips from Sony wires buds but I have foams made for the XM5 and they fit. I'm pretty sure any Sony buds tips should fit. They definitely skimped on the included silicone. The sizes aren't great and not enough variations in sizes. They're too similar.
I took the tips off my anker soundcore ear buds that I was using for PSVR2.
I think they fit a lot better since it's more of a normal flexable funnel type shape and not the small tire looking things that come with the Explore.

FrankWza

I took the tips off my anker soundcore ear buds that I was using for PSVR2.
I think they fit a lot better since it's more of a normal flexable funnel type shape and not the small tire looking things that come with the Explore.
Good results? You can go from no bass to plenty of bass with a change of tips. I suspected as much when Sony announced these but most consumers aren't ready for trial and error.its usually always a necessity with any headphones but in ears especially.

Good results? You can go from no bass to plenty of bass with a change of tips. I suspected as much when Sony announced these but most consumers aren't ready for trial and error.its usually always a necessity with any headphones but in ears especially.
Testing the bass now. I'm listening to Pendulum's song Slam, it's a drum & bass band. Bass is pretty damn heavy for me. Not sure how much people expect.
I think i'm going to keep this soundcore tips on them, the biggest explore tip would slight hurt my right ear at times, little uncomfortable.

FrankWza

Testing the bass now. I'm listening to Pendulum's song Slam, it's a drum & bass band. Bass is pretty damn heavy for me. Not sure how much people expect.
I think i'm going to keep this soundcore tips on them, the biggest explore tip would slight hurt my right ear at times, little uncomfortable.
Nice. Yeah, the bass complaining is crazy to me. So is the volume. They're both plenty. For the 10th time I'll say it's all about fit and finding the right tips.

Nice. Yeah, the bass complaining is crazy to me. So is the volume. They're both plenty. For the 10th time I'll say it's all about fit and finding the right tips.
yea, my only real complaint is i want to be able to pause and resume from the earbuds.
I wonder if this will get firmware updates and something like that could get added?

FrankWza

yea, my only real complaint is i want to be able to pause and resume from the earbuds.
I wonder if this will get firmware updates and something like that could get added?
Well the buttons aren't there so other than volume I don't know if it's possible. I don't thing they can repurpose the sync button. Volume control does work whenever the Link adapter is in use so hopefully they update that for BT

Well the buttons aren't there so other than volume I don't know if it's possible. I don't thing they can repurpose the sync button. Volume control does work whenever the Link adapter is in use so hopefully they update that for BT
Yea, I was hoping for maybe like a double click of the sync button. Something along those lines. There's times I walk away from my phone, then my wife tries talking to me while I have a podcast playing in my ear so I need to pause it.

I'm either going to get used to pausing/unpausing from my watch instead, or just use the explores for gaming and carry around and do phone/podcasts with my airpods.

Godfavor

I am a self-admitted fanboy for Sony hardware but their headsets are borderline trash IMO.

The Gold broke for no reason just a few months into owning one and the Pulse 3D has an absolute trash mic and it's a total stepdown from from mid-tier JBL BT headphones I own. The passthrough for the Pulse 3D is awful too.

It's the one product of Sony that I get nervous from and I avoid their headsets whenever possible.
Just get the ier-z1r😛

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yea, I was hoping for maybe like a double click of the sync button. Something along those lines. There's times I walk away from my phone, then my wife tries talking to me while I have a podcast playing in my ear so I need to pause it.

I'm either going to get used to pausing/unpausing from my watch instead, or just use the explores for gaming and carry around and do phone/podcasts with my airpods.
I'm already used to the watch thing because I use AirPods gen3 with android. But even when I use my iPad I stay away from touch controls and turn them off. That's just me though and I know it's nice to have the option. I like using the watch because everything is there for controlling and it's just a second screen.

I think the issue is, because they are simultaneous, you can't separate controls.

Mine have switched when removed from the dock after a redock. Since there is no on/off switch. If the Portal and PS5 are on and it's already on the PS5 I have to re dock the buds sometimes. Otherwise, I have to press the button on the Portal.

I have been able to switch between the PS5 or Portal and my phone by just redocking because my phone will connect via Bluetooth if I don't. I have a third dongle that I have not set up yet but I'll bump this when I do.
Thanks dude! I appreciate it.

I was able to get in 3 orders an hour ago through Best Buy (1 for me and the other for two coworkers).

I got mine today, and in Insurgency they sounded great, BUT bluetooth is only playing on the left hand side of the headphones.

Edit: So while the Quickstart guide is absolutely pointless it does have a QR code that said if you hold the sync button on the headphones for 12 seconds it resets the buds. I had to do that for each bud to get both working again on bluetooth out of the box...

Last edited:

FrankWza

I got mine today, and in Insurgency they sounded great, BUT bluetooth is only playing on the left hand side of the headphones.

Edit: So while the Quickstart guide is absolutely pointless it does have a QR code that said if you hold the sync button on the headphones for 12 seconds it resets the buds. I had to do that for each bud to get both working again on bluetooth out of the box...
I have not had that happen with Bluetooth or Portal but it did happen on PS5. I pressed the lower button on the buds and it connected. Not sure if that will work for Bluetooth. I have seen that people are getting random disconnects so they are definitely in need of a firmware update to iron out some of the kinks. Link is a new protocol and they have been quick to update Portal.

I have not had that happen with Bluetooth or Portal but it did happen on PS5. I pressed the lower button on the buds and it connected. Not sure if that will work for Bluetooth. I have seen that people are getting random disconnects so they are definitely in need of a firmware update to iron out some of the kinks. Link is a new protocol and they have been quick to update Portal.
Yeah. I got like 3 random 1 second disconnects in the 2 hours or so I used it.

I’m not sure how I feel about them yet. The stock eartips are also trash. I took the tips off of my Soundcore VR P10s and it sounded way better.

Not sure if it’s worth the $200 right now when the Soundcores sounded great. Just don’t have simultaneous audio and I have to unplug the dongle when not using.

FrankWza

Yeah. I got like 3 random 1 second disconnects in the 2 hours or so I used it.

I’m not sure how I feel about them yet. The stock eartips are also trash. I took the tips off of my Soundcore VR P10s and it sounded way better.

Not sure if it’s worth the $200 right now when the Soundcores sounded great. Just don’t have simultaneous audio and I have to unplug the dongle when not using.
That's too many disconnects. Maybe try a different usb port or try a hub or usb male to female adapter? I know the usb ports on PS5 are open but Link is new and may draw more or less power and might time out. I'd at least wait for a firmware update though but if your sound is the same as the soundcores to you then that's definitely not worth it. In ear are more dependent on fit than any other headphones so its probably that.

FrankWza

Anyone else feel like these just have zero bass? And no way to eq?
They have plenty of bass if you get the right tips. No Playstation device has eq for them yet. When they're connected via Link or BT to other devices you can change the apps eq settings to test.

TexMex

They have plenty of bass if you get the right tips. No Playstation device has eq for them yet. When they're connected via Link or BT to other devices you can change the apps eq settings to test.

Someone else gave the same feedback and I tried all the tips that it came with and they all sound the same. Almost like tinny, TV speakers. My over ear Pulse sounds better.

FrankWza

Someone else gave the same feedback and I tried all the tips that it came with and they all sound the same. Almost like tinny, TV speakers. My over ear Pulse sounds better.
All the tips are too similar. Try other tips. Something from XM5 or other Sony buds will fit usually.

That's too many disconnects. Maybe try a different usb port or try a hub or usb male to female adapter? I know the usb ports on PS5 are open but Link is new and may draw more or less power and might time out. I'd at least wait for a firmware update though but if your sound is the same as the soundcores to you then that's definitely not worth it. In ear are more dependent on fit than any other headphones so its probably that.
Yeah. It happened more then I feel comfortable with.

I tried both the back usb ports and the front. I have the slim now so I had to use a c to usb adapter in the front.

FrankWza

Yeah. It happened more then I feel comfortable with.

I tried both the back usb ports and the front. I have the slim now so I had to use a c to usb adapter in the front.
The c ports on the slim are not the same. If one isn't working try the other. It could be that the adapter isn't super speed and you are using it in the super speed port.

mako

I bought the final audio type e ear tips. Have been incredible so far and come audiophile recommended.

I'd suggest buying the mixed set to see which size fit best, but the adjustable nozzle means all tips should fit the pulse explore.

Threw out all the stock buds, they're genuinely shit and need changing in the next iteration.

FrankWza

I bought the final audio type e ear tips. Have been incredible so far and come audiophile recommended.

I'd suggest buying the mixed set to see which size fit best, but the adjustable nozzle means all tips should fit the pulse explore.

Threw out all the stock buds, they're genuinely shit and need changing in the next iteration.
I don't think there's a Sony bud that I haven't been able to have fit.i did try some longer foams and there was an issue with the case being a bit too small so I had to press down to charge and the foam would come out deformed. Otherwise, the case size can accommodate most foams and definitely silicone. They are fantastic sounding and have plenty of bass and volume if you have the right tips. Like most things audio related, they require some tinkering to make your own. But it is very much worth the effort.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Goddamn, my Pulse 3D headset broke. The flimsy white plastic just cracked. The earbud foam has been absolutely destroyed too. Is it too much to ask for a higher build quality that can last 3 years? I mean, JFC....

So now I don't know what to do.....wait for the Pulse Elite's, which look like they are just as SHIT build quality, or get the Pulse Explore......or is it even possible for me to use a bluetooth headset on my PS5?

EekTheKat

The overwhelming majority of the earbuds I've played with or tested are entirely dependant on fit/wear and the right tips for your ears for the best sound quality. Bass is sometimes non-existent on earbuds if they do not get a proper seal in your ear.

Been playing with a set of Pulse Explorers for about a week now, and they're good/servicable no complaints on the gaming front outside of it being slightly uncomfortable after a while. I'm not entirely sure they're $200 good however, as the previous $99 ankers I've been using were more than servicable for gaming on multiple fronts.

I do find them a little uncomfortable over time, but I think that's down to me sometimes not exactly wearing them or removing them properly.

Mine has a disconnect issue on a PS5 when using the dongle. Though the amount of wireless devicesI have running around here probably do not help at all.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Firmware update. Fixes connection issue some people have and adds EQ setting, Presets and Sidetone. Also bass boost for those interested and this applies to the upcoming Elites as well

Last edited:

skit_data

Bought mine today after reading about the firmware update!
Gonna have to use them more before I can state my overall impression, though they sound really good now but the tips are indeed a weak link.
Got a really good seal on my left ear at first but couldn't find any way to get a complete seal on the right one.
Just now I managed to get a good seal on the right tip but somehow managed to fuck up the good seal on the left ear when trying to get a sense of what angle to use in order to get a tight seal xD
I might have to get some custom ones like you FrankWza FrankWza

It's wierd to only include these small thin and flimsy ones. I have pretty damn narrow ear canals and I still had to go for the largest ones to even establish any form of tight seal because the other ones are simply too small.

Edit: It does seem a lot easier to get a good seal after a while, so it's possible it just takes a while to find an appropriate way to insert them. At first I just jammed them in, but they do seem to require a pretty unexpected yet specific (rotated in an almost forward facing manner) placement in order to establish a good seal.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Bought mine today after reading about the firmware update!
Gonna have to use them more before I can state my overall impression, though they sound really good now but the tips are indeed a weak link.
Got a really good seal on my left ear at first but couldn't find any way to get a complete seal on the right one.
Just now I managed to get a good seal on the right tip but somehow managed to fuck up the good seal on the left ear when trying to get a sense of what angle to use in order to get a tight seal xD
I might have to get some custom ones like you FrankWza FrankWza

It's wierd to only include these small thin and flimsy ones. I have pretty damn narrow ear canals and I still had to go for the largest ones to even establish any form of tight seal because the other ones are simply too small.
unfortunately, firmware updates cannot fix the included tips. Try the Comply ultimate comfort foams for the xm5/xm4. If you're not familiar with foams, they need to be squeezed each time and then they expand when they're in ear.
This was a great update and it looks like people that had the disconnect issue are no longer having it happen. For me, sidetone was a really nice add that I wanted. And I know some here like James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford were worried about bass now get a bass boost on either of the new Pulse.

skit_data skit_data make sure they are positioned correctly in ear the PS logo on the side should be vertical

Last edited:
Since they own Audeze I wish the Maxwell got an update for more granular control on PlayStation it's the only reason I'm considering the Elites I want easier access to the EQ.

skit_data

Now that I've had them for a while I can confidently say I'm very satisfied with the sound quality.
I couldn't find any local seller of Comply Comfort specifically (only other models, not sure if they'd fit) so I just bought some slightly larger, generic silicone tips for €5 and they work fine as well at establishing a good seal.

Gotta say that the bass especially sounds unusually clear and distinct for a pair of earbuds, no "muddiness". Still nice mids and highs as well. (I rarely use buds though so I haven't compared really. I usually only use over ear or on ear headphones.)

skit_data

I managed to get ahold of Comply TrueGrip Pro tips that works very well with the Pulse Explores. The cheap, standard silicone tips I bought worked better than the ones included with the Explores but the Comply foam tips are way more comfortable for longer sessions and doesn't lead to the same feeling of occlusion.

Right now my only issues with the Explores are the random disconnects I get every now and then. I've tried all of the USB ports and the issue persists. Hopefully there will be some sort of software update for the buds or the PS5 itself, because it's kind of a let down in that regard. I was expecting similar stuff to be completely solved by now because they've been out for several months.

I managed to get ahold of Comply TrueGrip Pro tips that works very well with the Pulse Explores. The cheap, standard silicone tips I bought worked better than the ones included with the Explores but the Comply foam tips are way more comfortable for longer sessions and doesn't lead to the same feeling of occlusion.

Right now my only issues with the Explores are the random disconnects I get every now and then. I've tried all of the USB ports and the issue persists. Hopefully there will be some sort of software update for the buds or the PS5 itself, because it's kind of a let down in that regard. I was expecting similar stuff to be completely solved by now because they've been out for several months.
Which truegrips did you buy? The tips suck on the explores so this would help a ton

FrankWza

There was an update for the Explore. It should have fixed this.
Which truegrips did you buy? The tips suck on the explores so this would help a ton
Any comply should fit as long as you get the Xm4/5. The ultimate comfort are good ones but they have others that isolate more. They are all shaped different so your style may differ but as long as you get the xm version they will snap on securely. The really big sized ones mess with the ability to charge and need to be forced a little more so that's something to keep in mind.

skit_data

There was an update for the Explore. It should have fixed this.
Yeah I think the update that added the EQ fixed the issue for some people but it seems some still have issues. I'm gonna try and reset the PS Link and rebuild the PS5s database to see if that fixes the issue.

skit_data

A small update on the disconnect-issue me and some others have had;
It turns out the PS Link is communicating on a 2.4 gHz band, which of course also is the one mostly used on wifi routers. I suspect this might be the culprit some have issues, but the wierd thing is the Pulse Elites should also be using the same and they seem less prone to disconnecting compared to the Pulse Explore. It's possible it has something to do with the Pulse Explore having two separate connections instead of a single one.

Anyway, I tried changing my routers setting to use a higher band to see if it helps because the default setting had it set to automatically switch to adjecent bands with the least interference. The problem is that I live in an apartment so I can see at least 10 other router connections outside of my own. It's possible the routers switching around to optimize the owners wifi speed might be the reason for the Pulse Explore working fine for most of the time and then suddenly dropping their connection.

Top Bottom