• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation reveals $10m fund to support indie developers and giving away copies of Uncharted Collection and Journey for "Play At Home" initiative

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
PlayStation is also giving away Journey and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection to all PS4 customers for a limited time (between Wednesday, April 15 - Tuesday, May 5) to "help keep the PlayStation community entertained at home". For users in China and Germany, Sony is offering Knack 2 in place of The Nathan Drake Collection.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ive never play journey so realy excited to try it, also ive never played uncharted 3 either so excited to try those 2 games

Journey is fantastic! Especially if you run into someone that helps guide you along the way, truly an unforgettable experience.

You are in for a treat!

Journey is a very relaxing Game, and Uncharted 3 is a blast.

Agreed. Love the opening level and setup of UC3.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Let me know what you new people think of Journey. I played it on PS3, but a year or two after it released. It was insanely highly rated, even winning overall Game of the Year awards from major outlets such as IGN. This was insane for an Indie game, especially back then.

I was pretty interested to play it. So I did and.... I didn't get it. You don't really do much of anything. There's no real story, not even inferred unless you make it up yourself as you go (maybe that's the point?).

I didn't hate it, but I expected way more. I wasn't too bored by the end, but that's probably because it's only around two hours long. I imagine any longer it would have overstayed its welcome.

I don't have any issues with people loving the game, I just honestly wish I got the same experience others did. People said they cried. What? How? Why? I feel like something completely different was playing out in other people's heads than my own. It was just a game to me - and a very basic one at that.

nowhat

Journey is fantastic! Especially if you run into someone that helps guide you along the way, truly an unforgettable experience.
I bought it when the game was released on PS4, started to play it and was soon matched with someone I had a great time with. There we were, (mostly) merrily chiming away at each other despite the harsh environments. But then very towards the end
when there's that snowstorm, we just lost track of each other. I don't know if (s)he disconnected, but chimed as I might, no avail. I was all alone in the world.
I was absolutely mortified. I played to the end of course, because I was so far into it, but bittersweet it was. I was quite angry even, not sure at who or what, but my chime-buddy had been just taken away from me. Who wouldn't be.

A couple of years later I decided to play it again, mostly because I really like the music. I figured since it had been out for so long, I'd end up playing alone, which I did. It was fine, it's still a beautiful game and the soundtrack is sublime. But then about two thirds in to the game, I hear from behind me: *ching*! This one, I'm taking to the finish line. Which we did and it felt so cathartic. Finally my Journey had ended. The co-op is so vital to the experience, and somehow it seems strangely fitting now that we're all stuck indoors trying our best not to interact with people, we can still chime at nameless strangers and it feels great.

Vawn

Banned
I bought it when the game was released on PS4, started to play it and was soon matched with someone I had a great time with. There we were, (mostly) merrily chiming away at each other despite the harsh environments. But then very towards the end
when there's that snowstorm, we just lost track of each other. I don't know if (s)he disconnected, but chimed as I might, no avail. I was all alone in the world.
I was absolutely mortified. I played to the end of course, because I was so far into it, but bittersweet it was. I was quite angry even, not sure at who or what, but my chime-buddy had been just taken away from me. Who wouldn't be.

A couple of years later I decided to play it again, mostly because I really like the music. I figured since it had been out for so long, I'd end up playing alone, which I did. It was fine, it's still a beautiful game and the soundtrack is sublime. But then about two thirds in to the game, I hear from behind me: *ching*! This one, I'm taking to the finish line. Which we did and it felt so cathartic. Finally my Journey had ended. The co-op is so vital to the experience, and somehow it seems strangely fitting now that we're all stuck indoors trying our best not to interact with people, we can still chime at nameless strangers and it feels great.

To address your Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure that's scripted to happen. Even if the other player leaves it replaced them with someone else or AI without every letting you know. You could play with 5 different people and not realize it.

But, I think after that part, it is scripted for you to be alone.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

nowhat

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
On my second playthrough I got the trophy for... oh what the hell, I'll actually check my trophies.

"Crossing": Reach the summit with a companion and return to the beginning. Bronze, Rare 19.6%. And while I don't generally care for trophies, I have to agree with "Status": "Earned" ;)

Seriously though, I have no idea if that was a real person or not. But I didn't get the trophy first time around.

Hm, if you got the PS3 version does that mean I already own the PS4 version?
I can't seem to add the free PS4 version to my cart.

Do you see the download button?

I see the "choose a version" button, then a popup with two "Downloadable game" and "Free" buttons.
However, pressing these don't do anything. I am on a Web browser by the way. But since it is cross-buy I think I already own it.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Let me know what you new people think of Journey. I played it on PS3, but a year or two after it released. It was insanely highly rated, even winning overall Game of the Year awards from major outlets such as IGN. This was insane for an Indie game, especially back then.

I was pretty interested to play it. So I did and.... I didn't get it. You don't really do much of anything. There's no real story, not even inferred unless you make it up yourself as you go (maybe that's the point?).

I didn't hate it, but I expected way more. I wasn't too bored by the end, but that's probably because it's only around two hours long. I imagine any longer it would have overstayed its welcome.

I don't have any issues with people loving the game, I just honestly wish I got the same experience others did. People said they cried. What? How? Why? I feel like something completely different was playing out in other people's heads than my own. It was just a game to me - and a very basic one at that.
Ya I was the same having played it years after wards. I suppose you have to remember there really was nothing quite like it at the time. The indie scene was tiny then. It was unique I'll give it that. It's been vastly surpassed since even in the indie like scene.

nowhat

how do you get the free copy of the Uncharted series? It's telling me it cost £15.99
At least the EU blog post (but that wouldn't concern you anymore now would it... sorry, moving on) had them coming out on Thursday. PS Store seems to update noon-ish GMT, so you'll have to be a little more patient.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
At least the EU blog post (but that wouldn't concern you anymore now would it... sorry, moving on) had them coming out on Thursday. PS Store seems to update noon-ish GMT, so you'll have to be a little more patient.

Ah, OK. I've been playing ACO to death and this will make a nice change.

farmerboy

Re $10 million dollar fund. That's what happens when you have senior exec like Shu in charge.

Yoshida's appointment to that role has gone so under the radar. It will bear fruit in spades.

nowhat

Ah, OK. I've been playing ACO to death and this will make a nice change.
It's an highly enjoyable, if somewhat shallow, ride for sure. Just a friendly piece of advice - don't play them back-to-back. I did that when the collection came out, and I think it made me dislike UC3 more than I should have. It has flaws, but is also far from being terrible, which was my impression from the net before playing the game. Just that right after UC2 it felt more like UC2.5 than a sequel in its own right. The first one is the weakest of the bunch, no question, but people have a tendency to give first attempts more slack.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's an highly enjoyable, if somewhat shallow, ride for sure. Just a friendly piece of advice - don't play them back-to-back. I did that when the collection came out, and I think it made me dislike UC3 more than I should have. It has flaws, but is also far from being terrible, which was my impression from the net before playing the game. Just that right after UC2 it felt more like UC2.5 than a sequel in its own right. The first one is the weakest of the bunch, no question, but people have a tendency to give first attempts more slack.

Yeah, 2 was my favourite for certain. I liked 3 but 1 (because it was the first) is likely my second favourite.

It creates a audio visual experience. Try playing with headphones.

Justin9mm

As someone who has heard of the name, seen it on ps store but never played or even seen it.. What. The. Fuck.

Journey was like one of the best experiences I ever had playing a game.
I have to concur though, it's not much of an actual "game".

Top Bottom