• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation salutes our troops: Bringing E3 to our service men and women.

oSoLucky

'Our troops'? Wtf? I though Sony was Japanese worldwide corporation. I find it extremely insulting and offensive for Sony fans from a lot of countries,and for the pacifist ones.I don't want to see my console brand sponsoring armies, specially the ones who constantly ignore and break human rights(among a lot of other things I won't mention to avoid possible offended)

1. It's not sponsoring at all.

2. How is them doing an event at a base for people that may be on duty/otherwise miss the events offensive to anyone?

3. Posted by John Koller on Jun 03, 2014 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA
blog.us.playstation. com/2014/06/03/salute-to-our-troops/

What does SCEA making an announcement of this on the USA PlayStation Blog have to do with them being a worldwide company?

Did it please you when MS originally didn't seem to care about military members deployed without internet connections?

peace

Neo Member
Our soldiers deserve all the consoles free and much more than that. People willing to die for complete strangers and much more than that are remarkable to me.

Hoo-doo

Banned

2. How is them doing an event at a base for people that may be on duty/otherwise miss the events offensive to anyone?

What does SCEA making an announcement of this on the USA PlayStation Blog have to do with them being a worldwide company?

I'm pretty sure that was a parody post.

Well, I hope it was.

Dumb move. Sony is a multinational company, they should stay out of politics. And supporting the military force of a certain country is a political move. I don't even see whats worth supporting in the US military. The US armed forces are responsible for the death of thousands of innocent people in the last decades, they have participated in and condoned war crimes, torture and murder. And they are continuing to do so.

Gemüsepizza;114592882 said:
Dumb move. Sony is a multinational company, they should stay out of politics. And supporting the military force of a certain country is a political move. I don't even see whats worth supporting in the US military. The US armed forces are responsible for the death of thousands of innocent people in the last decades, they have participated in and condoned war crimes, torture and murder. And they are continuing to do so.

Holy shit....

Sharpeye

Wow! What an edgy badass over here.

Bundy

Banned
.....you should switch to Pizza Thunfisch.
Seems like you need more Eiweiß.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by catering to another country's military. If you cater to someone over Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a Sony PS4 system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the event or you can kiss your business goodbye.

meta4

Is this a serious post?

Phlebas

Banned

This hits too many buttons, it can't be a serious post.

oSoLucky

Is this a serious post?

I already took the bait once in this thread, so I'm going to just go with no. Anyway, this isn't really an appropriate arena for discussions of the nature that these posts are leading down, so time to leave.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i'm a huge bleeding heart idiot liberal and even i can see the difference between sony cheering up some dudes in their mid-20s who happen to be in the military and a sponsorship of the us military industrial complex

chin up, internet kid

I suggest you do the same.

wat? you're embarassing fanboyism is just getting old, esp after the beast souls debacle

I grew up at Fort Riley. I lived there from 1994 until 2001 or so, though I still went to the middle school after I moved. Sony once held an event at the local PX. They had a truck where you could play games like Ape Escape. I got a free, high-quality PlayStation keychain that I still have along with a coupon for $5 off any PlayStation game. I used it on a $7 copy of Road Rash 3D and got it for $2. I loved that game and played it constantly with my best friend and neighbor at the time.

jhcA9BV.png

Hexa

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but loyalty is a huge part of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by sucking up to other countries militaries. If you are disloyal in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PlayStation products for either system, nor will they purchase any PlayStation games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and move that truck to JSDF or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Fake Edit: Fuck Beaten. :(

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by catering to another country's military. If you cater to someone over Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a Sony PS4 system, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the event or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Finally..a post I can take seriously.

aly

My cousin is gonna be so excited for this! Good for them, who cares if its just marketing or PR or whatever. The people there deserve it and are sure to enjoy it. Also come on guys, its the US PlayStation blog. Stop being so difficult sometimes.

yurinka

I don't want them (or me) to mix politics with gaming. Specially to mix armies or everything else related with killing people in real life with gaming.

It isn't a problem with a certain country. It's to respect people who suffered because of it, and because it can somehow damage the brand in some places.

Did it please you when MS originally didn't seem to care about military members deployed without internet connections?
No, I didn't like it at all. I felt sorry for these poor guys who are working without internet connection, specially when they are outside doing dangerous stuff. It was clearly disrespectful for them. More the statement MS had asking them to buy a 360 than the always online requeriment.

I'm pretty sure that was a parody post.

Well, I hope it was.
No, I'm not.

Btw, here in Europe there are big amounts of crazy/paranoid people who boycott companies like Coca-Cola for even more random things such as to provide their drinks to the battle. I already argue too much with friends to explain why I don't fucking care about it when I drink Coca Cola, and I don't want to need to do it to defend the videogames I love, and well, where I work.

antitrop

I don't want them (or me) to mix politics with gaming. Specially to mix armies or everything else related with killing people with gaming.

It isn't a problem with a certain country. It's to respect people who suffered because of it, and because it can somehow damage the brand in some places.

I don't know what the fuck, dude, but Sony isn't funneling arms into Afghanistan, they're taking some video games to some bored, stressed 20-somethings in Kansas.

Well, let's pack it up people. Apparently Sony Corporation are trying to earn money (bastards) and have a political pro-war agenda. Fuck this noise. Fuck Sony. E3 is cancelled.

Just hoping they do this for their troops back home in Japan as well. Though this is a nice gesture, I would like to see them cater to every country
Except Russian and N. Korea.

Holy shit....

What? So you are denying what the US military did in the last few decades? In Iraq for example?

Wow! What an edgy badass over here.

I am not a "badass". I am person who is against killing innocent people or kidnapping and imprison people for years without giving them the possibility for a fair trial. The US government and the US military does approve of these actions. While not every member of the US military may be responsible for these crimes in a legal sense, they are still supporting those decisions by working there. After all I think the USA has a military system which is based on volunteers, they don't force you to join the army.

i'm a huge bleeding heart idiot liberal and even i can see the difference between sony cheering up some dudes in their mid-20s who happen to be in the military and a sponsorship of the us military industrial complex

chin up, internet kid

wat? you're embarassing fanboyism is just getting old, esp after the beast souls debacle

It's not "cheering up some dudes in their mid-20s who happen to be in the military". It's a PR attempt to address a certain demographic group by using primitive patriotism and the ridiculous military idolisation in the US, while ignoring the political dimension of this. I would rather have them donating stuff to hospitals or something like that. And your patronizing choice of words is a really poor attempt of an ad hominem attack.

DJMicLuv

It's a PR exercise but there have been hundreds of completely fucking stupid and expensive PR exercises in the past that have benefited no-one but journalists so I can't help but think this is a good way to spend marketing's budget in a way that also generates good will for the company and targets the public directly. Good work.

Gemüsepizza;114594967 said:
What? So you are denying what the US military did in the last few decades? In Iraq for example?

*giggle* Good troll, man. I hope you stay at GAF. I love that you've adopted the YouTube commenter style!

Top Bottom