• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 03/26/09

LiquidMetal14 said:
To leverage the wall of negativity, Burn Zombie Burn is a fun game. Especially if you have more than 1 person going at it. The weapon system is deeper than I thought. And it's cool how you can use fire and your environments to increase your rewards. Couldn't ask for more out of a 10 dollar game. The locales are really cool if you like horror movies as well.

To its credit, if you can get used to the controls, there are a lot of things to earn, like 6 levels or so with 3 different modes on each with a bronze, silver and gold medal to earn on each variation of each level. And of course, trophies.

I feel bad that an indie developer comes out with a cute, funny game with a lot of replay value but the controls are just suck. It is co-op after all, so thats awesome.

But I just can't stop coming up with problems I don't like about the game. like how when you pick up a new weapon, your current one disappears. And how things like the chainsaw actually have ammo, which only makes sense if you're talking about gas or something, but really i think leaving yourself to melee range should be enough of a hindrance to allow you infinite ammo. But guess what? The chainsaw is unstoppable if you use THE LOCK-ON BUTTON. Fun as shit, but you have to track ammo for it because its so unstoppable with lock-on.

I'm convinced lock-on, and the lack of a right stick shoot that likely followed the feature, is just the most tremendous blight on this otherwise worthwhile game

Darkpen

Banned
So has anyone tried Platypus? I just checked my email and saw the screens for the game, and it looks like delicious 2D sprite schmup love. Worth picking up for $10?

Aru

The Take Out Bandit said:
Meh your mother!

Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce is a new kind of deliciousness.

Dare I say it's like Phantasy Star Portable for gamers with better reflexes. :D

Leave my mother alone :mad:

When I saw a video of Strikeforce, I first thought it was really different from older DW. When I tried the JP demo, I realized that the game is just DW with transformations.

I've never liked DW anyway.

For beat'em all, I prefer DMC.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ice Monkey said:
The overall worst sin this game commits is that its main mechanic, the burning of zombies to increase your multiplier, is apparently designed to make you be able to run amongst the zombies lighting them up with fire to increase your potential combo, but the problem more often than not the NOT-engulfed-in-flames zombies will hit you and subtract from your health. This could be OK but I think the game would be much sounder score-wise and frustration-wise if you simply were immune to non-flaming zombies when running around with your torch instead of only partially immune.
I think the burning-zombie-multiplyer mechanic acutally works pretty good :) The zombies will turn away from you when you run towards them with the tourch. I would say that i dont have any big problems getting like a 30-40x multiplyer without getting hit by the zombies. Of course, i can get hit some times, also depending on which level/map i play on, but i dont this this as a frustrating thing, since for most of the times i can avoid getting hit.

Ice Monkey said:
The problem with what i just mentioned is that there is seemingly no strategy involved with running around with your torch lighting up zombies, no matter what you do you always get hit a few times and need to kill regular, non-flaming-zombies to possibly get a health boost. There is no way around this and it all seems to amount to chance rather than skill. So the choice is between killing regular zombies nonstop until you die, which take a hilariously long time to build up your score, or alternating between lighting up zombies with your torch and inevitably getting hit several times, forcing you to either die or slaughter non-burning zombies for health bonuses that dont show up if you kill burning zombies, and if you even understand the mechanics this far, just seem non-inviting and too much trouble for the reward.
There is a strategy with torching the zombies. When you torch a few zombies, and if you run around so the flaming zombies hits the non-flaming zombies, then the non-flaming zombies will light on fire as well. This way it is possible to get a relatively big multiplyer by just lighting a few zombies with your torch. There is also a flamethrower pick-up that can makes things abit easier as well :)

It is also possible to run through big hords of zombies without getting hit while you light them. I have done that several of times. The way i do this is by using the torch while holding down the L1 button and waggling the right stick infront of me while i run through the hords. It is not guaranteed that you wont get hit if you do it like this, but i have done it several of times without getting hit at least :)

Here is a video that shows that it is possible to run through many zombies and light them on fire without getting hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DpYRZl2fq4

Ice Monkey said:
I'm sorry, but even though i feel for the developer, when one of the simplest additions that would greatly improve the game would be adding a right-stick aim option ala super stardust HD and all before it, an option that takes so much more skill than a stupid auto-lock-on button that your left finger gets oh-so-tired of holding onto the entire game, you lose a lot of independent-developer-leeway in your game design in my eyes.
Burn Zombie Burn does have a right stick aim so to say. As you mentioned yourself, you must hold down L1 to auto-aim, but if you use the right stick, then you will change which zombie that you are locked on to. In most part of the games there are so many zombies around you that when you move the right stick while holding down L1, it pretty much feels like you have free movement/aim with the right stick, like your do in Super Stardust HD.

I probably wouldnt have mind if you had 100% free aim with the right stick like you do in Super Stardust HD. I think it should be interesting to see how Burn Zombie Burn would be like this, but i think that the way the aiming system works in Burn Zombie Burns works very well :)

Earlier today i played Burn Zombie Burn for maybe 2 hours in a row so to say (i did went to get some food, and some drink 2 times, and the phone rang one time as well), and my left finger didnt get tired from holding down the L1 button.

I would say that the main key to be able to play Burn Zombie Burn is to hold down the L1 button almost all the time and use the right stick to aim. If you dont use the right stick for aiming, then the game is pretty hard. After reading your review it sounds to me like you are not using the right stick to aim that activly, is this correct?

Ice Monkey said:
And how things like the chainsaw actually have ammo, which only makes sense if you're talking about gas or something, but really i think leaving yourself to melee range should be enough of a hindrance to allow you infinite ammo. But guess what? The chainsaw is unstoppable if you use THE LOCK-ON BUTTON. Fun as shit, but you have to track ammo for it because its so unstoppable with lock-on.
I guess that is why they decided to add ammo the chainsaw. If you could use the chainsaw for an unlimited period of time, then you could just pick up the chainsaw, go into a corner of the map and hold down the lock on button while using the chainsaw. This way it might be almost no problem to grind almost unlimted points.

EDIT: I added some text.

Darkpen

Banned
jvm said:
I'm not picking it up until I'm convinced the developers weren't a group of schmucks. I heard this when the game came out, and I see it's on Wikipedia now too.
If true, pretty damning.
:<

So do we pick it up, or no?! D:

test_account said:
I think the burning-zombie-multiplyer mechanic acutally works pretty good :) The zombies will turn away from you when you run towards them with the tourch. I would say that i dont have any big problems getting like a 30-40x multiplyer without getting hit by the zombies. Of course, i can get hit some times, also depending on which level/map i play on, but i dont this this as a frustrating thing, since for most of the times i can avoid getting hit.

There is a strategy with torching the zombies. When you torch a few zombies, and if you run around so the flaming zombies hits the non-flaming zombies, then the non-flaming zombies will light on fire as well. This way it is possible to get a relatively big multiplyer by just lighting a few zombies with your torch. There is also a flamethrower pick-up that can makes things abit easier as well :)

It is also possible to run through big hords of zombies without getting hit while you light them. I have done that several of times. The way i do this is by using the torch while holding down the L1 button and waggling the right stick infront of me while i run through the hords. It is not guaranteed that you wont get hit if you do it like this, but i have done it several of times without getting hit at least :)

Here is a video that shows that it is possible to run through many zombies and light them on fire without getting hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DpYRZl2fq4

Burn Zombie Burn does have a right stick aim so to say. As you mentioned yourself, you must hold down L1 to auto-aim, but if you use the right stick, then you will change which zombie that you are locked on to. In most part of the games there are so many zombies around you that when you move the right stick while holding down L1, it pretty much feels like you have free movement/aim with the right stick, like your do in Super Stardust HD.

I probably wouldnt have mind if you had 100% free aim with the right stick like you do in Super Stardust HD. I think it should be interesting to see how Burn Zombie Burn would be like this, but i think that the way the aiming system works in Burn Zombie Burns works very well :)

Earlier today i played Burn Zombie Burn for maybe 2 hours in a row so to say (i did went to get some food, and some drink 2 times, and the phone rang one time as well), and my left finger didnt get tired from holding down the L1 button.

I would say that the main key to be able to play Burn Zombie Burn is to hold down the L1 button almost all the time and use the right stick to aim. If you dont use the right stick for aiming, then the game is pretty hard. After reading your review it sounds to me like you are not using the right stick to aim that activly, is this correct?

I guess that is why they decided to add ammo the chainsaw. If you could use the chainsaw for an unlimited period of time, then you could just pick up the chainsaw, go into a corner of the map and hold down the lock on button while using the chainsaw. This way it might be almost no problem to grind almost unlimted points.

EDIT: I added some text.

You're right about the burning zombie mechanic working alright, I just find it infinitely infuriating that I cant be assured the zombies wont hit me if im running around with the torch. I mean the mechanic is there that flaming zombies arent afraid of you, and the non-flaming ones ARE afraid of the torch, and yet you arent invulnerable to normal zombies while holding the torch. It just seems like a poorly designed mechanism that you still have to worry about these "AFRAID, non burning zombies" hitting you while you use your torch. my opinion i suppose.

I understand the chainsaw ammo thing, i really do. but then again, you have infinite ammo with the bat which is admittedly harder to use than the chainsaw. So I just wish that the chainsaw was harder to rack up points with on the same level as the bat is, and had infinite ammo as a result.

I see what you're saying about the using the right stick to aim, but please, undestand that it isnt really aiming as you are implying, but simply changing targets. I'm a skilled enough player that i dont even have to switch targets with the right stick, the lock on works well enough and i can process the visual information enough to know which zombie the autoaim will attack...

...but my REALLY HUGE BEEF with this game is that the only respectable way to play it is to mother effing HOLD DOWN THE L1 button! I may be special, or part of the minority or something, but I can't stand holding down that button for several minutes at a time. My finger hurts when I do it, maybe i Have a disease, I don't know, but it is more than ridiculous that I end up just not using the L1 button for stretches at a time because my damn finger hurts. Bad mechanic, at least for me. Give me right stick aim+shoot all in one or give me death!

One last negative thing for me, I hate how every game starts with just a pistol, then you get the uzi and the bat, then the chainsaw and such and finally the fun weapons. I more than enough understand why the game is built this way, but Goddamnit I hate how I have to work my way through 5 or more minutes of zombies before I get my gatling gun and lawnmower and gun that makes the zombies dance. THAT'S when I'm having fun with the game, and it's sad that since i'm such a perfectionist i restart the game if i lose a life in the first few minutes because im stuck with a damn pistol, and correspondingly rarely get to use the fun guns on huge zombie hordes.

Anyway with all the negativity that I have about the game, it is pretty fun and I keep wanting to try again every so often. I do respect how much content is here if you can live with the system and the controls, and it will certainly take a long time to 100%, which is what i prefer.

But when I realize that yet again for the billionth game, although there's no mother effing reason not to include it, the controls are forced to be the buttons the developers chose them to be, no customizing whatsoever. And its obvious these developers have taken an approach with the game that mimics many others before it, like super stardust, geometry wars, even SMASH TV of all things, a game i played when all I had was a damn super nintendo, and yet they say "fuck those tried and true control mechanisms that have provided countless hours of mindless fun for people of all shapes and sizes, I'm gonna do some lock on bullshit and get negative reactions, damnit!"

I just want to add, I would be overjoyed to go running into a group of zombies with my torch, and spin my right stick around as i do so, lighting all of them on fire. No hurting my index finger with the damn L1 button and I'd love the nostalgia of feeling like i was playing super stardust hd with zombies. Oh so sweet. Instead I hold L1 down, and the computer does all the work for me, all I have to do is run through a pack of zombies. Boring.

lupin23rd

Was just looking at the Spelunker trophy list, does it really have a Platinum?

Did SCEJ not get the memo about downloadable games and Platinum trophies or is Spelunker just that awesome?

lupin23rd said:
Did SCEJ not get the memo about downloadable games and Platinum trophies or is Spelunker just that awesome?

WOHD also had a Platinum trophy even though it's a download only game. I'm not sure what qualifications a game has to have in order to be able to have a Platinum trophy.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ice Monkey said:
You're right about the burning zombie mechanic working alright, I just find it infinitely infuriating that I cant be assured the zombies wont hit me if im running around with the torch. I mean the mechanic is there that flaming zombies arent afraid of you, and the non-flaming ones ARE afraid of the torch, and yet you arent invulnerable to normal zombies while holding the torch. It just seems like a poorly designed mechanism that you still have to worry about these "AFRAID, non burning zombies" hitting you while you use your torch. my opinion i suppose.
Do you mean that you should be invinsible while using the tourch? If that is what you mean, then the game would be very easy. Then it is just to hold down the R2 button when you are in danger and run to a safer area and shoot. It would sorta be like having unlimited boost in Super Stardust HD, so you could just boost through anything without dying.

Ice Monkey said:
I understand the chainsaw ammo thing, i really do. but then again, you have infinite ammo with the bat which is admittedly harder to use than the chainsaw. So I just wish that the chainsaw was harder to rack up points with on the same level as the bat is, and had infinite ammo as a result.
But if the chainsaw is unstopable while being used, couldnt you then still rack up points, just that it would take a longer period of time to get the points?

Ice Monkey said:
I see what you're saying about the using the right stick to aim, but please, undestand that it isnt really aiming as you are implying, but simply changing targets. I'm a skilled enough player that i dont even have to switch targets with the right stick, the lock on works well enough and i can process the visual information enough to know which zombie the autoaim will attack...
Yes, that is true, the right stick does in reality only change the target that you have locked on while holding down the L1 button, but since there usually are so many zombies around you, the right stick basicly feels like you have free aim. Therefor this almost feels as good as any twin stick shooter, like for example Super Stardust HD, at least in my opinion :)

Ice Monkey said:
...but my REALLY HUGE BEEF with this game is that the only respectable way to play it is to mother effing HOLD DOWN THE L1 button! I may be special, or part of the minority or something, but I can't stand holding down that button for several minutes at a time. My finger hurts when I do it, maybe i Have a disease, I don't know, but it is more than ridiculous that I end up just not using the L1 button for stretches at a time because my damn finger hurts. Bad mechanic, at least for me. Give me right stick aim+shoot all in one or give me death!
Hehe, i dont think that you have a desease :) People's hands are just different, so the game controllers might work better for someone that it does for other people. If you say that your finger hurts from holding down the L1 button, then i belive you. I just wanted to say that when i hold down the L1 button, then my finger doesnt hurt.

Ice Monkey said:
One last negative thing for me, I hate how every game starts with just a pistol, then you get the uzi and the bat, then the chainsaw and such and finally the fun weapons. I more than enough understand why the game is built this way, but Goddamnit I hate how I have to work my way through 5 or more minutes of zombies before I get my gatling gun and lawnmower and gun that makes the zombies dance. THAT'S when I'm having fun with the game, and it's sad that since i'm such a perfectionist i restart the game if i lose a life in the first few minutes because im stuck with a damn pistol, and correspondingly rarely get to use the fun guns on huge zombie hordes.
Isnt this how must games are, that you start off with a weaker weapon and then you get better weapons while you play the game? You also get the shotgun pretty early, at least after my experience.

Ice Monkey said:
Anyway with all the negativity that I have about the game, it is pretty fun and I keep wanting to try again every so often. I do respect how much content is here if you can live with the system and the controls, and it will certainly take a long time to 100%, which is what i prefer.

But when I realize that yet again for the billionth game, although there's no mother effing reason not to include it, the controls are forced to be the buttons the developers chose them to be, no customizing whatsoever. And its obvious these developers have taken an approach with the game that mimics many others before it, like super stardust, geometry wars, even SMASH TV of all things, a game i played when all I had was a damn super nintendo, and yet they say "fuck those tried and true control mechanisms that have provided countless hours of mindless fun for people of all shapes and sizes, I'm gonna do some lock on bullshit and get negative reactions, damnit!"
When i watched how Burn Zombie Burn was, then i was almost sure that the game was a twin stick shooter like Super Stardust HD, but i noticed that this wasnt the case when i started playing the game. I didnt learn the controls at once, so if it hadnt been that you could aim (change the locked on enemies) with the right stick, then i probably would have end up not playing the game that much anymore.

I also wonder why they didnt make this game as a twin stick shooter, where you have totally free aim with the right stick. It might be that they tried to do it like this first, but maybe they didnt think it worked out too well. But i think it should have been possible to put this as an option at least, i agree. Dark Mist (a PSN game) allows you to do this, to change the right stick to free aim, so i dont know why they didnt do something similar in Burn Zombie Burn as well. Maybe they will add this option in a patch sometime, but i dont know. I guess we will see what happends :)

Ice Monkey said:
I just want to add, I would be overjoyed to go running into a group of zombies with my torch, and spin my right stick around as i do so, lighting all of them on fire. No hurting my index finger with the damn L1 button and I'd love the nostalgia of feeling like i was playing super stardust hd with zombies. Oh so sweet. Instead I hold L1 down, and the computer does all the work for me, all I have to do is run through a pack of zombies. Boring.
You can do this now, just run into the group of zombies, hold down the L1 button and spin the right stick. Then you will spin around and light all zombies on fire that is around you (if the torch hits the zombies that is). Maybe you mean that you dont want to hold down the L1 button while doing this, but spinning around lighting the zombies on fire is already possible in the game when you have zombies around you :)

What do you mean with that the computer does all the work for you? If you had free aim with the right stick, which other technique would you use the light the zombies on fire? I would probably just run into the group of zombies like i do now, since that seems to be the best way to do it :)

And by the way, i am not saying that you are wrong about your opinion with not liking the game the way it is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just wanted to say that i have no issues so to say with the things that you mentioned, i think the game mechanic works great eventhough i think it could be nice to have the option to have fully free aim on the right stick. I guess we just have different opinions about the game :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Regarding Platypus, I tracked down the source for the music, C64Audio and spoke with the proprietor there. According to that person, and I am quite inclined to believe, the rights were secured because C64Audio has agreements with all of the original composers and the remix authors.

In short, the music appears to be licensed and above board.

While it does seem as if the original Platypus creator did get no benefit from the sequel, which was clearly a follow-up to his creation, that might be unfortunate but not illegal.

So buy Platypus if you are interested, but don't let the rumors of schmuckiness deter you.

Speevy

Banned
lupin23rd said:

I'm not one of the folks who thinks Spelunker is horrible, but it's several points short of awesome.

test_account said:
Do you mean that you should be invinsible while using the tourch? If that is what you mean, then the game would be very easy. Then it is just to hold down the R2 button when you are in danger and run to a safer area and shoot. It would sorta be like having unlimited boost in Super Stardust HD, so you could just boost through anything without dying.

It would need to be playtested i suppose, but the way I see it is that the game wouldn't be as easy as it may sound if you were just invincible to regular zombies while using the torch. Like, when you were saying how every so often you'd get hit while running around with the torch, instead, you were not hit then. The flaming zombies are still faster than regular zombies as they are now, and they can stil hurt you, but the torch ought to make you immune to regular zombies as it seems it is built to do so now.

I mean if you really pay attention when running around with the torch, every zombie when it gets within a certain radius of you will immediately turn tail and run. The only time you get hit by a regular zombie is when they already attacked, and the animation isnt done, and you run into them, which happens alot. So what I'm saying is, make that animation stop and make them turn tail and run like every other non-attacking regular zombie. When you really look at the way it works, for all I know it is just a bug. I mean, this should be the benefit of using the torch instead of the flamethrower. with the flamethrower you still dont get points if you blow up an exploder (like when a flaming zombie blows up that exploder), and zombies hardly run from you especially since you're lighting them up so quick. But with the possibility of getting hit by regular zombies even though you shouldnt when using the torch, I think it is just a poor mechanic that hurts the usefulness of the torch that isnt necessary.

test_account said:
But if the chainsaw is unstopable while being used, couldnt you then still rack up points, just that it would take a longer period of time to get the points?

The point I was trying to make is that the chainsaw should be a little less useful, as it is right now you can just sit in a corner and hold L1 and a fire button and you mow through anything and everything. So instead, make it so it takes more skill like the bat is right now, and give it infinite ammo. Again, it would need playtesting, and the chainsaw works alright as it is now, but in my opinion the fact that it's a melee attack should be more than enough reason to choose another weapon over a chainsaw.

Think of it this way, would the baseball or cricket bat be BETTER if you had "ammo" for it but it was more powerful? I doubt it, it would be better as it is now. So in the same way, maybe the chainsaw should follow the design of the bat and be less overpowered and infinite ammo?

test_account said:
Yes, that is true, the right stick does in reality only change the target that you have locked on while holding down the L1 button, but since there usually are so many zombies around you, the right stick basicly feels like you have free aim. Therefor this almost feels as good as any twin stick shooter, like for example Super Stardust HD, at least in my opinion :)

I played the game a bit more and tried this tactic, and while I agree it does feel a little more fluid than you would think with just changing a locked-on target, this just cements my belief that they may as well have allowed you to shoot+aim with the right stick like all the other games like this, or at least allowed the option. I will just reiterate how infinitely annoying I think this lack of a feature is.

test_account said:
Hehe, i dont think that you have a desease :) People's hands are just different, so the game controllers might work better for someone that it does for other people. If you say that your finger hurts from holding down the L1 button, then i belive you. I just wanted to say that when i hold down the L1 button, then my finger doesnt hurt.

I guess I could be different than others, and you appear to not see what I mean but thank you for understanding. I am probably just creating a sense of pain from how annoying I think it is that while playing this game I have to 99% of the time hold down a button. BAd game design in my opinion and really hurts my enjoyment of an otherwise solid game, especially for 10 bucks.

test_account said:
Isnt this how must games are, that you start off with a weaker weapon and then you get better weapons while you play the game? You also get the shotgun pretty early, at least after my experience.

After playing the game more, I do realize that you can actually get the harder weapons quicker by getting huge multipliers in the beginning, but then I noticed that after I got a million points on the drive-in level, THEY WENT BACK TO THE SHIT VERSIONS OF THE WEAPONS. I will also mention that the later levels give you better weapons earlier. I see why this was done and everything, but I still can't get over how much more fun the game gets when you get the lawnmower or gatling gun, meanwhile the uzi hates my damn guts and the shotgun can go to hell. I pretty much just run around lighting ip zombies in between chainsaw spawns, and this hurts the game a little in my opinion. Can't stand how much skill the bat takes to effectively use without getting hit either. I want to have fun earning the gold medals, not be frustrated at least 50% of the time.

I dont even want to mention how disappointing it is that when you get a gun like the brain sucker that is fun but doesnt even hurt any damned enemies except the one it just sucked the brain out of, or the hilarious dance gun removes your ability to raise your combo (the torch or flamethrower) until you deplete its ammo, and all of these problems could likely be solved by allowing you to hold even just one more weapon.

test_account said:
When i watched how Burn Zombie Burn was, then i was almost sure that the game was a twin stick shooter like Super Stardust HD, but i noticed that this wasnt the case when i started playing the game. I didnt learn the controls at once, so if it hadnt been that you could aim (change the locked on enemies) with the right stick, then i probably would have end up not playing the game that much anymore.

I continue to be infinitely puzzled how they can build such a clunky way of achieving the right stick aim thing without just throwing it in there for the hell of it. It's like they can release a fully featured game with trophies and such, not a whole lot of bells and whistles but its pretty fun for an indie game, but this one primitive and obvious aspect is beyond them. :-/ Here's how I think the discussion went.

Developer 1: Hey look lets do zombie stardust HD.
Developer 2: Sweet! Ok now should we do right stick aim/shoot? I got it, based on the direction the right stick is pushed, the gun points to that direction and shoots. Map a circle, draw a 3d model pointed in that direction for each gun. 16 points on the edges of said circle.
Developer 1: Nah, thats too complicated. Let's just build an algorithm that chooses the nearest enemy based on distance from you, have it change every single time an enemy becomes nearer than the one you're locked onto, and make the right stick serve no purpose in the game except to target whatever enemy is closest in whatever distance is pointed to. Easy Peazy, bro.

test_account said:
I also wonder why they didnt make this game as a twin stick shooter, where you have totally free aim with the right stick. It might be that they tried to do it like this first, but maybe they didnt think it worked out too well. But i think it should have been possible to put this as an option at least, i agree. Dark Mist (a PSN game) allows you to do this, to change the right stick to free aim, so i dont know why they didnt do something similar in Burn Zombie Burn as well. Maybe they will add this option in a patch sometime, but i dont know. I guess we will see what happends :)

Developer 1 (from above): Now that we spent five years creating the perfect lock on algorithm, there's no way in hell I'm letting players use the right stick aim. I lost my wife and three kids due to overtime spent making that lock on system, so tough noogies.

test_account said:
You can do this now, just into the group of zombies, hold down the L1 button and spin the right stick. Then you will spin around and light all zombies on fire that is around you (if the torch hits the zombies that is). I guess that you mean that you dont want to hold down the L1 button while doing this, but spinning around is already possible in the game when you have zombies around you :)

true, but it sucks because I can accomplish possibly more running into them while locked on, and spend more time trying to avoid their annoying zombie asses.

test_account said:
What do you mean with that the computer does all the work for you? If you had free aim with the right stick, which other technique would you use the light the zombies on fire? I would just run into the group of zombies like i do now, since that seems to be the best way to do it :)

What I mean is that when running into the zombies, the lock on is constantly finding the nearest target, and thus lighting every one of them on fire. Great, but boring, and less satisfaction than spinning around while running into them.

test_account said:
And by the way, i am not saying that you are wrong about your opinion with not liking the game the way it is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just wanted to say that i have no issues so to say with the things that you mentioned, i think the game mechanic works great eventhough i think it could be nice to have the option to have fully free aim on the right stick. I guess we just have different opinions about the game :)

The game is fun, ill give it that. But there just seem to be a few things that I feel like any tester worth his salt or even the developers themselves would be able to point out and at least make the developer aware of them, and although I may never be privy to the information, I'd be so relieved to at least know these issues were brought up and were decided to be left out for difficulty purposes or something. It's like with RE5, the developer is like you cant move and shoot because we tried it, the game wasnt tense at all anymore and was too actiony for our tastes. OK, developer, I understand, it's up to you and I'll do my best to enjoy it as it is.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ice Monkey said:
It would need to be playtested i suppose, but the way I see it is that the game wouldn't be as easy as it may sound if you were just invincible to regular zombies while using the torch. Like, when you were saying how every so often you'd get hit while running around with the torch, instead, you were not hit then. The flaming zombies are still faster than regular zombies as they are now, and they can stil hurt you, but the torch ought to make you immune to regular zombies as it seems it is built to do so now.
I see what you mean, and this way the game will be alittle harder, that is true, but it would be easier than how the game works now at least.

I didnt say that i ever so often get hit while running around with the torch, at least that is not what i ment to say. What i ment so say is that sometime i can get hit while running into a group of zombies. I dont have any numbers on how oftern this have happend to me, but maybe 1 out for 20 times or so?

But to put it in another way, when this happends, it is not really anything different than like missing a jump in Super Mario Bros so you die. I dont think it is just random if you get hit or not when you run into a crowd of zombies. It depends on how you run and how you move the torch and on how thick the crowd of zombies that you run into are, at least after my experience. So i dont find this game mechanic in Burn Zombie Burn broken or anything like that.

Ice Monkey said:
I mean if you really pay attention when running around with the torch, every zombie when it gets within a certain radius of you will immediately turn tail and run. The only time you get hit by a regular zombie is when they already attacked, and the animation isnt done, and you run into them, which happens alot. So what I'm saying is, make that animation stop and make them turn tail and run like every other non-attacking regular zombie. When you really look at the way it works, for all I know it is just a bug. I mean, this should be the benefit of using the torch instead of the flamethrower. with the flamethrower you still dont get points if you blow up an exploder (like when a flaming zombie blows up that exploder), and zombies hardly run from you especially since you're lighting them up so quick. But with the possibility of getting hit by regular zombies even though you shouldnt when using the torch, I think it is just a poor mechanic that hurts the usefulness of the torch that isnt necessary.
This does not happend alot to me when i play, i guess we have a different experience with the game :) I probably would have liked the game just as much if you were just suppose to shoot everything that comes towards you without lighting the zombies on fire, but i think that the torch adds a new element/strategy to the game than rather just shooting everything that comes towards you.

Ice Monkey said:
The point I was trying to make is that the chainsaw should be a little less useful, as it is right now you can just sit in a corner and hold L1 and a fire button and you mow through anything and everything. So instead, make it so it takes more skill like the bat is right now, and give it infinite ammo. Again, it would need playtesting, and the chainsaw works alright as it is now, but in my opinion the fact that it's a melee attack should be more than enough reason to choose another weapon over a chainsaw.

Think of it this way, would the baseball or cricket bat be BETTER if you had "ammo" for it but it was more powerful? I doubt it, it would be better as it is now. So in the same way, maybe the chainsaw should follow the design of the bat and be less overpowered and infinite ammo?
I think that i see what you mean, but is there a reason for why you want to make the chainsaw a harder weapon to use and get infinitve ammo instead of just having the chainsaw the way it is now?

Ice Monkey said:
I played the game a bit more and tried this tactic, and while I agree it does feel a little more fluid than you would think with just changing a locked-on target, this just cements my belief that they may as well have allowed you to shoot+aim with the right stick like all the other games like this, or at least allowed the option. I will just reiterate how infinitely annoying I think this lack of a feature is.
Sure, having free aim on the right stick like you do in Super Stardust might have worked abit better, i dont disagree to that, but i just wanted to say that the aiming in Burn Zombie Burn isnt as bad as you first made it sound like it is. It is possible to play the game without having any big problem of aiming and hitting the enemies that you want to kill, at least in my opinion :)

Ice Monkey said:
I guess I could be different than others, and you appear to not see what I mean but thank you for understanding. I am probably just creating a sense of pain from how annoying I think it is that while playing this game I have to 99% of the time hold down a button. BAd game design in my opinion and really hurts my enjoyment of an otherwise solid game, especially for 10 bucks.
What dont i see? I just wanted to say that if your finger hurts from holding down the L1 button, then it doesnt necessarily mean that you have a desease or anything :) It could simply be that you have bigger or smaller hands than me, which might result in that it is painful to hold down the L1 button for a longer period of time.

Ice Monkey said:
After playing the game more, I do realize that you can actually get the harder weapons quicker by getting huge multipliers in the beginning, but then I noticed that after I got a million points on the drive-in level, THEY WENT BACK TO THE SHIT VERSIONS OF THE WEAPONS. I will also mention that the later levels give you better weapons earlier. I see why this was done and everything, but I still can't get over how much more fun the game gets when you get the lawnmower or gatling gun, meanwhile the uzi hates my damn guts and the shotgun can go to hell. I pretty much just run around lighting ip zombies in between chainsaw spawns, and this hurts the game a little in my opinion. Can't stand how much skill the bat takes to effectively use without getting hit either. I want to have fun earning the gold medals, not be frustrated at least 50% of the time.
I dont know what triggers the selection of the weapons that you can pick up through out the game, maybe it is the multiplyer as you say. The lawnmover and the gatling gun are indeed cool weapons, i think so as well, but they are also pretty powerful weapons. If you got these weapons very early in the game, and if these weapons were avalible all the time, then the game would be eaiser. By the way, there is a challenge mode in the game that allows you to use the lawnmover all the time :)

The lawnmover is probably the most powerful weapon in the whole game. It is more easy to use than the chainsaw, at least in my opinion, since it seems that you dont have to go so close to the enemy to kill them compared to how close you must go with the chainsaw.

You dont like the shotgun? That is probably one of my favorite weapons in the game. i think it is cool to have like 50 zombies comming towards you and kill all of them with 5-6 shotgun shots :)

Besides the dynamite, i think the bat gives you the most points pr. kill. It is something like 70 points pr. kill i think. I think that this is a good balance, the weapon is harder to use than the other weapons, but you also get more points for using the bat :)

The gold medals are hard to get, at least i think so, but at least the game gives you a challenge :)

Ice Monkey said:
I dont even want to mention how disappointing it is that when you get a gun like the brain sucker that is fun but doesnt even hurt any damned enemies except the one it just sucked the brain out of, or the hilarious dance gun removes your ability to raise your combo (the torch or flamethrower) until you deplete its ammo, and all of these problems could likely be solved by allowing you to hold even just one more weapon.
The brain sucker weapon is there to get zombies into groups. This is a strategy you can use to get some points. I think it is a nice weapon that can give variation to the game :) It doesnt seem that the brain sucker weapons is made to do big damage.

Ice Monkey said:
I continue to be infinitely puzzled how they can build such a clunky way of achieving the right stick aim thing without just throwing it in there for the hell of it. It's like they can release a fully featured game with trophies and such, not a whole lot of bells and whistles but its pretty fun for an indie game, but this one primitive and obvious aspect is beyond them. :-/ Here's how I think the discussion went.

Developer 1: Hey look lets do zombie stardust HD.
Developer 2: Sweet! Ok now should we do right stick aim/shoot? I got it, based on the direction the right stick is pushed, the gun points to that direction and shoots. Map a circle, draw a 3d model pointed in that direction for each gun. 16 points on the edges of said circle.
Developer 1: Nah, thats too complicated. Let's just build an algorithm that chooses the nearest enemy based on distance from you, have it change every single time an enemy becomes nearer than the one you're locked onto, and make the right stick serve no purpose in the game except to target whatever enemy is closest in whatever distance is pointed to. Easy Peazy, bro.
I also wonder why they didnt allow an option to use the right stick to aim freely, but to be fair, i am sure there is a reason for why they made the game like it is now. I dont know what the reason is, but i am sure there is an explanation for it. Maybe they thought the game worked better like the way it is now? Who knows.

Ice Monkey said:
Developer 1 (from above): Now that we spent five years creating the perfect lock on algorithm, there's no way in hell I'm letting players use the right stick aim. I lost my wife and three kids due to overtime spent making that lock on system, so tough noogies.
I wouldnt mind to have the option to use the right stick to have free aim, but i dont think the aiming system isnt really that bad as you explain it here :) I know that you probably are exagarting to make your point, but still, i think the current aim works fine, at least in my opinion :)

Ice Monkey said:
true, but it sucks because I can accomplish possibly more running into them while locked on, and spend more time trying to avoid their annoying zombie asses.
Ok, but you think it would be easier to avoid getting hit when trying to light the zombies on fire with the torch if you had 100% free aim on the right stick?

Ice Monkey said:
What I mean is that when running into the zombies, the lock on is constantly finding the nearest target, and thus lighting every one of them on fire. Great, but boring, and less satisfaction than spinning around while running into them.
Hm.. first the game is too hard since you get hit many times by the zombies while trying to light them on fire, but now it is too easy since the computer does the work for you? :) And you can spin around now, it is just to hold down the L1 button :)

Ice Monkey said:
The game is fun, ill give it that. But there just seem to be a few things that I feel like any tester worth his salt or even the developers themselves would be able to point out and at least make the developer aware of them, and although I may never be privy to the information, I'd be so relieved to at least know these issues were brought up and were decided to be left out for difficulty purposes or something. It's like with RE5, the developer is like you cant move and shoot because we tried it, the game wasnt tense at all anymore and was too actiony for our tastes. OK, developer, I understand, it's up to you and I'll do my best to enjoy it as it is.
Ye, i think it should be interesting to know why they left out the possibilty to aim freely with the right stick. I dont know if we will ever know it, but it is possible to contact the developers and it wouldnt hurt to ask i guess. Here are the contact information:

http://www.doublesixgames.com/?page_id=59

If you decide to contact them, and if they reply, please let me know what they reply :)

Speevy

Banned
I'm still waiting for any contributions. I can do this without your submissions, but it won't be nearly as good.

Just pick a random game from the PSN (starting with a C-Z) and write a brief user review of it, PM that to me.

test_account said:

I think we both have valid opinions about the game. There could be all sorts of reasons for the double stick shoot thing, and it really bugs me that they did it this way. Options should not be withheld for any reason, especially when its as trivial as i think this is.

I wont be contacting them, however, because I really don't care even though I'm discussing it like I'm on a rampage. I'm just really bummed that I was looking forward to this game like a crazy man ever since it was first announced, been every so often looking at their webpage for any info on it and I hate being disappointed in a game like that.

Specifically though, the shotgun I just think is a pain to use compared to the other weapons. have to keep hitting the damn shoot button for no apparent reason, they could have easily made it auto shoot if you held it down.(edit: if it does auto shoot then let me just say how its silly to add in a mechanic where the pistol and/or shotgun shoot faster if you mash the button or have a turbo controller. Just not an effective way to make a game better, so it should be taken out completely) Just not my cup of tea compared to other variations of a shotgun.

The brain gun is a big pile of silly, though. It is only useful to me if I have a lot of tnt because it removes your main weapon, and then you lose it if you pick another weapon up without first dropping your main weapon. In a particularly hectic game today, however, I actually lost both weapons when I tried to drop the first one before picking up the second, and apparently I had to wait to equip the pistol before picking up another, and i was too fast, which grabbed the new one, deleted the old one, then dropped the new one and apparently it never came back either. To each his own, but that's bad game design and QA in my opinion and should be noted. Again, something I would have easily noticed if I worked QA for them or something.

And the chainsaw, it's like I was saying, its not about asking for the chainsaw to not be so powerful and fun to use (when you're allowed to). It's just about testing another possible direction with the chainsaw. Call it borrowing from DOOM or whatever, but chainsaws in games have always just been things that ripped people to shreds at the expense of ranged viability. And in dead rising for example, they always lasted much longer than they do in this game, and you could see how the chainsaw lasts MUCH longer than a ranged weapon in that game. And this was all in the idea of more fun to the player because its amazingly fun to rip up zombies with a chainsaw. So when I see a limitation of the chainsaw in this game being a short ammo supply, I think why limit how long you can have fun with the damn chainsaw in this game? Make it last longer or infinite, and if its too powerful then take out the damn lock-on ability that makes it unstoppable when crouching in a corner. Just seems like a good idea to test, and I wonder if they ever considered it.

amodf

I think Spelunker is incredible. It's exactly what I want it to be.

Multiplayer spelunker.

Megaman 9 quality remake imo.

Tntnnbltn

Just finished playing through Silent Hill PS1 for the first time ever (my first Silent Hill game full stop, actually).

Here's my assessment...

Bugs:
* In one of the cutscenes with Lisa, the on-screen dialog text starts repeating itself, and then the game temporarily freezes at the end of the cutscene.
* Sound bug which caused various noises to repeat (eg, gunfire noise, monster screech). Most often seen in boss battles. (Whenever I fired the rifle it would make a non-stop screeching sound until I went to the items inventory)

Gameplay:
* Got used to the controls fairly quickly once I realised I should use the d-pad instead of the analog stick. Having to hold R2 to equip weapon and L2 to look is archaic though, especially with the PS3's L2/R2 triggers.
* Some of those puzzles were damn hard without a walkthrough. Not just the puzzles, but in general not knowing what to do or where to go. In one instance, I missed picking up a key from the hospital, and spent half an hour running around town not knowing where to go because the only door I could find was locked. I would've hit a brick wall multiple times without the internet.

Overall:
* Graphics held up reasonably well
* I think my first run was ~6 hours long (There's multiple endings too)
* Fun, even without the 'nostalgia factor'. Some bits scared the crap out of me

Recommendation:
* A must-buy for all EU PSN users. Oh wait... Nevermind. :-\

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tntnnbltn said:
Bugs:
* In one of the cutscenes with Lisa, the on-screen dialog text starts repeating itself, and then the game temporarily freezes at the end of the cutscene.
* Sound bug which caused various noises to repeat (eg, gunfire noise, monster screech). Most often seen in boss battles. (Whenever I fired the rifle it would make a non-stop screeching sound until I went to the items inventory)

I don't remember any of this when playing through the original back in the days. Could this be the reason for the withdrawal?

Tntnnbltn

StarEye said:
I don't remember any of this when playing through the original back in the days. Could this be the reason for the withdrawal?
Possibly. When I came across each of those bugs I was thinking 'this is probably why it was pulled'. Still nothing gamebreaking though, at least not when playing the ending that I did.

Edit: Sony's backwards compatibility site lists the sound bug for US version of Silent Hill ("Throughout gameplay, when the user’s character shoots an enemy, a medium pitched tone plays."). Only seems to affect rifle on EU version. Some people have reported that switching between mono and stereo audio fixes the bug.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ice Monkey said:
I think we both have valid opinions about the game. There could be all sorts of reasons for the double stick shoot thing, and it really bugs me that they did it this way. Options should not be withheld for any reason, especially when its as trivial as i think this is.

I wont be contacting them, however, because I really don't care even though I'm discussing it like I'm on a rampage. I'm just really bummed that I was looking forward to this game like a crazy man ever since it was first announced, been every so often looking at their webpage for any info on it and I hate being disappointed in a game like that.
Earlier you said that you would be relieved if you knew the reason why Burn Zombie Burn doesnt have free aim on the right stick, so why not contact the developers of the game and ask why? :) You might get a reply.

I understand that you are bummed about not having the ability to aim 100% freely with the right stick, i wouldnt mind if the game was like this myself, but if you contact them, maybe the developers would listen, and maybe even make a patch that allows free aim with the right stick, you'll never know :)

Ice Monkey said:
Specifically though, the shotgun I just think is a pain to use compared to the other weapons. have to keep hitting the damn shoot button for no apparent reason, they could have easily made it auto shoot if you held it down.(edit: if it does auto shoot then let me just say how its silly to add in a mechanic where the pistol and/or shotgun shoot faster if you mash the button or have a turbo controller. Just not an effective way to make a game better, so it should be taken out completely) Just not my cup of tea compared to other variations of a shotgun.
Ok, i understand. I like the shotgun because it could kill something like 5-10 zombies in one shot. And many times in the games there are many zombies together, so one shot with the shotgun kills many zombies at one time :)

About hitting the button to shoot every shot, isnt this very common in many games? I played for example Killzone 2 earlier today, and you have to keep pushing the button to shoot if you use the shotgun and the pistols. You cant just hold down the button to shoot with these weapons.

And about shooting faster with the pistol the faster you push the button, it is like this in Killzone 2 as well (at least with one of the pistols). It is like this in real life too, the faster you push the trigger on a pistol, the faster you shoot. The shotgun in Burn Zombie Burn doesnt allow you to hold down the firing button by the way, you must hit the firing button everytime you want to shoot with the shotgun.

Do you use the pistol activly by the way? The pistol is probably made there as a "backup" (or what i shall say) weapon, like when you run out of ammo of another weapon, then you have the pistol so you can do some damage until you move to pick up a better weapon. If the pistol shot just as fast if you just hold down the button compared to as you press the button very fast, then i dont think there would be much use to have the uzi as a weapon in the game, since if the gun shoot faster if you just hold down the firing button, then the gun probably would basicly work like the uzi :)

Ice Monkey said:
The brain gun is a big pile of silly, though. It is only useful to me if I have a lot of tnt because it removes your main weapon, and then you lose it if you pick another weapon up without first dropping your main weapon. In a particularly hectic game today, however, I actually lost both weapons when I tried to drop the first one before picking up the second, and apparently I had to wait to equip the pistol before picking up another, and i was too fast, which grabbed the new one, deleted the old one, then dropped the new one and apparently it never came back either. To each his own, but that's bad game design and QA in my opinion and should be noted. Again, something I would have easily noticed if I worked QA for them or something.
Ye, i would guess that this is what the brain gun is mostly made for, if you have alot of TNT. This way you can use the brain gun, shoot out the brains so the zombies are surrounding the brain, then light the zombies on fire and kick a TNT into the crowd :) There is a challenge mode in the game that works like this, that is why i would guess that this is how the brain gun is ment to be used in other parts of the game as well.

About you losing both weapons in a hectic game, could it be that you accidentaly hit the R3 button again right after you picked up the second weapon? Sometimes it can happend by accident that you hit the R3 button, it have happend to me some times in other games at least :\

I got curious and i tried to equip myself with one weapon and then drop the weapon right before i picked up another weapon, and it worked fine. It didnt drop the other weapon even if i wasnt equiped with the gun :)

Ice Monkey said:
And the chainsaw, it's like I was saying, its not about asking for the chainsaw to not be so powerful and fun to use (when you're allowed to). It's just about testing another possible direction with the chainsaw. Call it borrowing from DOOM or whatever, but chainsaws in games have always just been things that ripped people to shreds at the expense of ranged viability. And in dead rising for example, they always lasted much longer than they do in this game, and you could see how the chainsaw lasts MUCH longer than a ranged weapon in that game. And this was all in the idea of more fun to the player because its amazingly fun to rip up zombies with a chainsaw. So when I see a limitation of the chainsaw in this game being a short ammo supply, I think why limit how long you can have fun with the damn chainsaw in this game? Make it last longer or infinite, and if its too powerful then take out the damn lock-on ability that makes it unstoppable when crouching in a corner. Just seems like a good idea to test, and I wonder if they ever considered it.
If we only speak about the fun factor to be able to use the chainsaw for an unlimit period of time, then i wont disagree, since what is fun and what isnt fun is a matter of taste which variates from person to person, and taste cant be discussed.

Personally i wouldnt mind if you could use the chainsaw for an unlimited period of time, so i am not really disagreeing with what you are saying here, but i probably wouldnt have used the chainsaw more if the game worked like this. I dont prefer to use the chainsaw since it is still possible to get hit while using it, especially against those zombies that uses a shield, at least after my experpience with the game.

But at least there is a lawnmover mode that allows you to use the lawnmover all the time, so to say :) Your lawnmover still has ammo, but a new lawnmover spawns before you are able to use all the ammo of the first lawnmover. This mode has to be unlocked though, and you can only play it for 10 minutes at the time before the time runs out. But at least it is better than nothing i would say :)

I am not saying that you are wrong about having these opinions about the game just to underline that. When you say that you have these issues with the game, then i belive you. But dont you think that you are alittle too harsh/unfair with some of the criticsm towards the game, like when you mentioned it was a bad thing that you couldnt shoot fast with the gun by just holding down the firing button, instead you have to push the firing button many times?

Speevy

Banned
I finally beat Cuboid. By beat, I mean 100% of the trophies (first game I ever did that with, woohoo!).

Great game, loved its style of puzzles. Did anyone else experience any controller bugs in the game? Like for example, the game wouldn't pause or the left analog stick would orient in a certain direction (when this wasn't the case in any other games)?

lupin23rd

Speevy said:
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing a PSN guide with descriptions, mini-reviews/comments, and info about certain games.

There are certain games which don't get the attention they deserve, and I feel like there are only a few users who know the JPSN's hidden gems.

Seems like you've alreard hired a GAF team of reviewers later in the thread :lol but I think this would be a good idea. A few months ago I thought it would be cool to start a site devoted to PSN but I'm sure it's already been done, and I'm running out of HD space.

Which of the shooters do you recommend? Now that I have (a couple of) arcade sticks I want to jump on some of the stuff I've never played. I have Raiden and Sonic Wings, I'm leaning towards the Ray- games, Shienryu, and Einhander.

lupin23rd said:
Which of the shooters do you recommend? Now that I have (a couple of) arcade sticks I want to jump on some of the stuff I've never played. I have Raiden and Sonic Wings, I'm leaning towards the Ray- games, Shienryu, and Einhander.

Personally, i'd reccomend;

Darius Gaiden
Einhander
R-Type Delta
RayCrisis
RayStorm
SuperLite 1500 Cotton Original

Shineryu is ok, but not as good as the others imo.

Speevy said:
I finally beat Cuboid. By beat, I mean 100% of the trophies (first game I ever did that with, woohoo!).

Great game, loved its style of puzzles. Did anyone else experience any controller bugs in the game? Like for example, the game wouldn't pause or the left analog stick would orient in a certain direction (when this wasn't the case in any other games)?

I never noticed that.

I've only been missing the 20 lightning stages trophy, which is a bit of a stretch for a bronze. If it was silver or gold I would have tried. Mahjong Tales also has some abusive and unfair trophies. I quite hate it when developers think it's a good idea to give the same low reward for doing things that require 10 times as much effort than others.

test_account said:
thoughtful response

I've played the game more, and I understand a little more the reasons behind many of the problems the game has. The chainsaw is damned fun to use, and honestly it doesnt become so annoying once you get used to how the weapons work and you get used the the weapon spawns and such.

I still think the controls are a bit trashy though. The holding l1 most of the game thing was just a poor choice, I'd be infinitely happy if all they did was allow holding l1 to NOT auto lock on.

With the pistol, your opinions are quite valid but I've always hated the fact that some games, like this one, justify the purchase of a turbo-fire controller. I dont want to have to go out and get one to keep myself from having to mash the button from time to time, and I feel that way for any game that has a mechanic like this.

I do enjoy playing the game a lot more, and even though the game told me at the end of the tutorial the secret to the game, I didnt listen to it and i slowly learned on my own that TNT combos make for much points in this game. grab 9 TNTs by slaugthering normal zombies, grab two tnt upgrades by slaugtering burning zombies, then light up 50 zombies and drop a TNT. Rinse, repeat. It's really quite ridiculous how many points you get from TNT, twice as many points per zombie as a bat kill which is slower and much harder.

I have been hard on the game, but I stand by almost all that i've said about it. My opinion has changed over time and I think i'll enjoy working towards the trophies, but thats because I'm not a quitter. The average joe trying to decide if he likes the game wont likely be as patient as I am, and I fear for the developer's wallet with all these first impressions that the game gave me since I started playing it.

neight

Banned
Philanthropist said:
I never noticed that.

I've only been missing the 20 lightning stages trophy, which is a bit of a stretch for a bronze. If it was silver or gold I would have tried. Mahjong Tales also has some abusive and unfair trophies. I quite hate it when developers think it's a good idea to give the same low reward for doing things that require 10 times as much effort than others.
Oh come on it's not that hard to get. Once you've completed a stage once it's just a matter of doing the same thing fast enough.

Xater

Darkpen said:
I did *not* know that the Quest for Booty $9.99 pricing was for only ONE week :(

Still worth it! I bought it Saturday and loved it. Exactly the right thing if you are itching for some Ratchet after the announcement of Crack in Time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BZB, fun as heck but no online. I would pay 5 bucks or less for an online add on. Neat little game. It's fun, that's all that matters.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ice Monkey said:
I've played the game more, and I understand a little more the reasons behind many of the problems the game has. The chainsaw is damned fun to use, and honestly it doesnt become so annoying once you get used to how the weapons work and you get used the the weapon spawns and such.
That is good to hear :) And i agree that it could have been cool if you could use the chainsaw unlimited by the way. What i said earlier was just to discuss maybe why they made the chainsaw the way it works now :)

Ice Monkey said:
I still think the controls are a bit trashy though. The holding l1 most of the game thing was just a poor choice, I'd be infinitely happy if all they did was allow holding l1 to NOT auto lock on.
Ye, i wonder why the developers didnt at least include an opinion to use the right stick for free aim. I played alittle Dark Mist yesterday, and in this game it is possible to change in the options if you want to use the right stick for free aim, so i guess that it should be possible to have this option in other games as well.

Ice Monkey said:
With the pistol, your opinions are quite valid but I've always hated the fact that some games, like this one, justify the purchase of a turbo-fire controller. I dont want to have to go out and get one to keep myself from having to mash the button from time to time, and I feel that way for any game that has a mechanic like this.
I agree that it isnt necessarily that fun to have to mash a button to get full effect in thee game. I just wanted to discuss why i thought the pistol in Burn Zombie Burn works the way it does :)

Ice Monkey said:
I do enjoy playing the game a lot more, and even though the game told me at the end of the tutorial the secret to the game, I didnt listen to it and i slowly learned on my own that TNT combos make for much points in this game. grab 9 TNTs by slaugthering normal zombies, grab two tnt upgrades by slaugtering burning zombies, then light up 50 zombies and drop a TNT. Rinse, repeat. It's really quite ridiculous how many points you get from TNT, twice as many points per zombie as a bat kill which is slower and much harder.
Ye, killing many zombies with the TNT gives you alot of points indeed :) I guess that the TNT is the key to get the developer medals in the game. So far i havnt gotten any developer medal hehe :\

Ice Monkey said:
I have been hard on the game, but I stand by almost all that i've said about it. My opinion has changed over time and I think i'll enjoy working towards the trophies, but thats because I'm not a quitter. The average joe trying to decide if he likes the game wont likely be as patient as I am, and I fear for the developer's wallet with all these first impressions that the game gave me since I started playing it.
Ye, i think it is no problem that you say what you think about the game, everyone sdhould be allowed to say their opinions :) I just wanted to discuss alittle around the game, and discuss why maybe why the reasons are behind why some of the game mechanic were made the way they are :)

About the average joe's first impression, i agree that the first impression of this game can be alittle "bad" (not necessarily bad, but i dont really know what word to use, but do you know what i mean?), especially if they dont know that they can use the right stick to change the locked on target while holding down the L1 button. I didnt know about that i could change the locked on target with the right stick while holding down the L1 button the first time i played Burn Zombie Burn. If i didnt know about this, or if it wasnt possible to do it like this, then i dont know if i would have played the game as much as i have so far.

Have you gotten many trophies in Burn Zombie Burn by the way? I dont think that i can get 100% of the trophies in this game, since i think it is pretty hard to get some of the medals :\ I am only missing 1 bronze medal (Time Mode in the Secret Lab level), but i only have a few silver medals and no gold medals. Maybe i have 1 or 2 gold medals in the challenge mode if i remember correctly, but i dont have any gold medals in the arcade mode at least.

Dante said:
:O @ the BZB debate going on here.
Hehe, i know my post got pretty long, but i just wanted to discuss the game :)

LiquidMetal14 said:
BZB, fun as heck but no online. I would pay 5 bucks or less for an online add on. Neat little game. It's fun, that's all that matters.
Ye, online mode would probably be pretty cool :)

lupinko

I found out that Burn Zombie Burn's main character has a large chin and is named Bruce who can also use a chainsaw.

Call me sold on this.

I don't know if the devs wanted to do a Bruce Campbell homage, but as a big BC fan, I'll take it! :D

Speevy

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Seems like you've alreard hired a GAF team of reviewers later in the thread :lol .

Actually I did all those. It's going to take forever if I do them all, so I'd appreciate some help.

Darkpen

Banned
Speevy said:
Actually I did all those. It's going to take forever if I do them all, so I'd appreciate some help.
you should make a blog out of it D:

Call it "The Grazing Fields of PSN" or something D:

kassatsu

Banned
6 PSone games on HK PSN + 2 PSP games.

thread tomorrow.

PSP ( Zero Cho Aniki + everyday Shooter)
PSOne ( Kagero [Trapt] + Soumatou [Dark Delusion] + Angel Eyes [Touki Densetsu] + Kawa no Nushi Tsuri [River King PS1] + Harvest Moon + Harvest Moon for Girls )

PSone are all Japanese Versions.

Top Bottom