• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 08/13/09 IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!

netguy503

topofuji said:
All the reasons I see you guys stating are "uh, it only has a code" or "it's just a case"! That holds no weight in the thought that it may become a valuable collector's item down the road and go for a pretty penny on Ebay.

You serious....no wait, Ebay buyers ARE pretty stupid sometimes. You may have a point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bigosc2k said:
Why is PSN torturing by not putting up the MVC2?

Because SCEA sucks, that's why.

I fully expect it to be up at midnight Friday, just like Biohazard took forever.

vazel said:
Just think on it for a second. You're hoping a container will appreciate in value. You usually need actual content for something to be worth something.

And most importantly it doesn't matter wether it how limited it is. It's all about wether people actually want it. Do you really think that box you have is that neat?

Just think on it for a second. A starbucks brand insulated cold cups retail for less than 20 dollars, and they are essentially just a container, and they do appreciate in value. They go for 240 bucks on ebay.

Ashhong

topofuji said:
All the reasons I see you guys stating are "uh, it only has a code" or "it's just a case"! That holds no weight in the thought that it may become a valuable collector's item down the road and go for a pretty penny on Ebay.

take it from someone who resells a lot of stuff. nothing about the retail package will be in high demand. the only reason the PS2 version was in high demand was because you couldnt get the actual game anywhere else. you MAY make a dollar or 2 if youre lucky. ebay fees for video games have gone up and you probably wont even make that. seriously, its worth nothing.

is the game not up on US store? i hope i can dl it after putting in my voucher code...stupid system update

xS1TH L0RDx said:
Just think on it for a second. A starbucks brand insulated cold cups retail for less than 20 dollars, and they are essentially just a container, and they do appreciate in value. They go for 240 bucks on ebay.

its really not the same. if you dont see why...i just dont know what to say.

vazel

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
ugh please edit me out. I edited out my post. I don't want anymore part in this.

Cruzader

Banned
I would buy(might actually) the boxed version and then get the PS2 disk and it inside or something. For $15, its an alright deal. Its not like you are spending more on it. And Sekoku, you must hate free games. (Socom/PAIN) Next time you get something for free on PSN, just give it to me so you wont end up complaining about it :D

TheSeks

Cruzader said:
I would buy(might actually) the boxed version and then get the PS2 disk and it inside or something. For $15, its an alright deal. Its not like you are spending more on it. And Sekoku, you must hate free games. (Socom/PAIN) Next time you get something for free on PSN, just give it to me so you wont end up complaining about it :D

No, I just hate terrible games.

You can ask dragonlife29, I recommended Aegis Wing (on the 360) to him because it's a good free SHMUP. Can't say the same for Socom/Pain (which generally want you to BUY them).

Ashhong said:
bah, voucher doesnt work either! fucking SCEA. how dare you sell a retail package that doesnt work

Just a crazy idea but... wait until it's uploaded, dude? :lol

netguy503

Cruzader said:

There's no disc inside.

topofuji said:
I think you're missing the point. It doesn't matter what it actually plays, but the limited rarity of the product. Is the Nintendo Competition Cartridge holding much more than some average joe can go play for free on an emulator? No.

Yea, everyone else is missing the point:lol. The difference is, the Nintendo cart is something you can play, with some signifigance related to the hobby, not an empty case.

You hold on to that sealed case though and then in 10 years maybe you can laugh at the world instead of it being the other way around

vazel

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
The fuck? it's exactly the same thing. it's a container with art on it.
Those starbucks cups from what I'm reading still hold value in discounts you get at starbucks with it.

Ashhong

TheSeks said:
Just a crazy idea but... wait until it's uploaded, dude? :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol you think? i was hoping it was uploaded just not showing on the store. retail box says nothing about waiting for it to be uploaded.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
The fuck? it's exactly the same thing. it's a container with art on it.

what everyone else said. you really think a starbucks cup that you would actually use and has benefits is the same as a regular ps3 game case with a cover art that has big ugly ass markings on it?

topofuji said:
I think you're missing the point. It doesn't matter what it actually plays, but the limited rarity of the product. Is the Nintendo Competition Cartridge holding much more than some average joe can go play for free on an emulator? No.
Just becuase it's limited doesn't mean its value will rise. People need to actually want the damn thing.
The Competition Cartdridge is actually rare as fuck and people want it because of nostalgia/nintendo worship.

What you have may have a run of at least 100.000 and it's nothing people will ever pay more than $20 for. Because you're selling a plastic box with a pretty picture in it.
By the time it "might" be worth something (15 years), the actual content will even be useless.

For example, try taking any game that is considered a collector's item. Now take the game out and try to sell the empty case and see how much money you get.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
No. do you consume the nothing that's in the cup when you put it up on ebay?

No, but the cup is actually used for something like a drink, rather than a game box that will have never have any use other than sitting there looking pretty.

Which is hard because of Udon's horrible art...but that's another topic entirely.

TheSeks

Ashhong said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol you think? i was hoping it was uploaded just not showing on the store. retail box says nothing about waiting for it to be uploaded.

Oh, trust me, dude... I know. I tried using my Gamestop U2 demo code and it's not up until the 16th. I really wish they would upload stuff in secret and let people get it through codes before it hits stores, but I guess that technically isn't fair (and the U2 demo/beta wouldn't be turned on so it'd just be sitting there on the PS3 looking pretty).

Cruzader

Banned
netguy503 said:
There's no disc inside.
i meant to say put the ps2/dc disk inside just for the hell of it.

I dont get what the fuss is about really. Case+voucher=PSN buy=$14.99 Since the case w/art is a little bonus, its a nice deal. End of story.

Ashhong said:
what everyone else said. you really think a starbucks cup that you would actually use and has benefits is the same as a regular ps3 game case with a cover art that has big ugly ass markings on it?

:lol :lol :lol

the cups cost less than $20 in the store, yet people buy them and sell them for insane amounts on ebay.

All of you people are missing the point: To Joe Blow in small town usa that collects starbucks cups, one that he finds on ebay could be the holy grail for him and he's willing to pay ridiculous amounts for a cup because he likes the artwork. The same can be said for the marvel retail package. Why is this so hard for you people to understand?

EDIT:
vazel said:
Those starbucks cups from what I'm reading still hold value in discounts you get at starbucks with it.

...yeah, and?

It still doesn't change the fact that you can still walk into a starbucks, buy a cup that get you discounts at starbucks FOR A FRACTION of the price of the cups on ebay, and there are still people selling them to collectors online.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Absoludacrous said:
For example, try taking any game that is considered a collector's item. Now take the game out and try to sell the empty case and see how much money you get.
There hasn't been an example of this type of situation before.

It's an essentially limited game case with a voucher for a $15 game inside.
Will it's value rise?

Who knows.

xS1TH L0RDx said:

the cups cost less than $20 in the store, yet people buy them and sell them for insane amounts on ebay.

All of you people are missing the point: To Joe Blow in small town usa that collects starbucks cups, one that he finds on ebay could be the holy grail for him and he's willing to pay ridiculous amounts for a cup because he likes the artwork. The same can be said for the marvel retail package. Why is this so hard for you people to understand?

I think you should buy 3 and let us know how it goes.

vazel

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:

Like I've said before the value in those starbucks cups comes not from collector's value but from being able to reuse it at starbucks with discounts.

Ashhong

TheSeks said:
Oh, trust me, dude... I know. I tried using my Gamestop U2 demo code and it's not up until the 16th. I really wish they would upload stuff in secret and let people get it through codes before it hits stores, but I guess that technically isn't fair (and the U2 demo/beta wouldn't be turned on so it'd just be sitting there on the PS3 looking pretty).

little different because that says a date. this is a retail game that people buy expecting to play. not to mention we already have the demo, arent we just waiting for the unlock code?

Psy-Phi

It's hard for people to understand because there are no collectors of Game packages we've ever seen. I know I've never seen someone looking to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga's Case and Instruction Booklet for more than a couple of bucks...and that's to replace their now lost or bent insert/book.

Go ahead and buy them up and prove us wrong though. I expect to see results from your selling in no more than 5 years. Marking it on my calendar right....now.

vazel

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
EDIT:

...yeah, and?

It still doesn't change the fact that you can still walk into a starbucks, buy a cup that get you discounts at starbucks FOR A FRACTION of the price of the cups on ebay, and there are still people selling them to collectors online.
I'm under the impression that the ones being sold on ebay are sold out. This is from the description of one of the listings.
You are bidding on 2 Iced Venti Double Walled Insulated Tumbler from Starbucks. Made from Clear hard plastic - double insulated with screw on lid, and green plastic straw. These mugs sold out very quickly from all stores and are quite popular since they can make a statement in their size and you also get a discount each time you use these mugs in a Starbucks. These work well as a gift for yourself or any friend or family member who really enjoys Starbucks. Bidding and Shipping -All sales are final, please ask all questions prior to bidding. Thank you! -Item will ship within 1business day of receipt of payment.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Starbucks-Ven...in_0?hash=item3a51e83eb0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

topofuji

Banned
Absoludacrous said:

Look, I don't think you understand still. Those games you are comparing this to have discs. This doesn't. This is the only retail edition release of PSN MVC2. which is supposedly in a limited run (we will see the extent of that in the coming weeks). It doesn't matter what it contains, it matters on the rarity of the product as I said and how sought after it will be as a collector's item in years, not as something to be played and used rigorously. Let me throw out another example: Do people who buy sealed limited run Famicoms on Ebay plan on opening it and playing it? No.
It appears xS1TH L0RDx is one of the only ones who understands what I'm trying to say, and is using a realistic example.

TheSeks

Ashhong said:
little different because that says a date. this is a retail game that people buy expecting to play. not to mention we already have the demo, arent we just waiting for the unlock code?

Well, if the UK store is anything there is a "full game" download. So, I'm assuming not. But who knows.

vazel

Banned
topofuji said:
Look, I don't think you understand still. Those games you are comparing this to have discs. This doesn't. This is the only retail edition release of PSN MVC2. It doesn't matter what it contains, it matters on the rarity of the product as I said and how sought after it will be as a collector's item in years, not as something to be played and used rigorously. Let me throw out another example: Do people who buy sealed limited run Famicoms on Ebay plan on opening it and playing it? No.
It appears xS1TH L0RDx is one of the only ones who understands what I'm trying to say, and is using a realistic example.
Rarity does not equal value. I've seen a comic book statue with a run of 500 units not appreciate in value and that's in a hobby rife with collectors.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is the Starbucks Store updated yet? I can't get on Starbucks Network because my login keeps timing out...

TheSeks

jvm said:
Is the Starbucks Store updated yet? I can't get on Starbucks Network because my login keeps timing out...

Sadly no. My Java vs Python 2: New Age of Code coffee mug can't be filled up yet. :(

Ashhong

vazel said:
Rarity does not equal value. I've seen a comic book statue with a run of 500 units not appreciate in value and that's in a hobby rife with collectors.

true, just look at master chief cat helmets.

the POINT is, its all about whether people will want it later. you asked us if we thought it would rise in value, and we said no, to which you replied, "fuck you ur all stupid!". in most of our opinions, it wont be worth anything over 15.00. THE END

Just wanted to tell you guys US PSN store is up.

3 ps1 games. Tomb Raider, Tin Pin Alley, and Dead In The Water.

Disgaea 3 DLC Complete bundle for 49.99

DMeisterJ

Banned
DMPrince said:

Blah. Where is Xenogears? FFT? RE2? RE3? Ugh.

Aru

DMPrince said:

50$ of DLC ? Holy shit :/
Meh for the PS1 games.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
what? is there a story to a starbucks cup costing 240 bucks?

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS Blog said:
Downloadable Games

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 ($14.99)
Fans asked, and Capcom listened! One of the most popular fighting games of all time returns! MvC2 brings legendary characters from throughout Marvel and Capcom history to duke it out in an insane tag-team fighting experience. Featuring an unprecedented 56-character roster and now with HD support and online play, one of the best fighting games ever just got better!
ESRB Rated T
File size: 199 MB
PSone Classics PS3 / PSP

Dead In The Water ($5.99)
Jump into your powerboat and get ready for a wet and dangerous ride! Choose from 14 wacky characters and nine different courses spread across the world.
Rated E
File size: 91 MB

Ten Pin Alley ($5.99)
Welcome to Ten Pin Alley, where you can have all the fun of real bowling without having to rent the shoes. Choose from 12 different bowlers or customize your own in pursuit of bowling a perfect 300 game. Spice up the experience with Open Play, Team Play and Tournament Mode.
Rated E
File size: 102 MB

Tomb Raider ($9.99)
Take control of the most famous woman in gaming, in Lara’s original adventure that started it all. Explore massive prehistoric worlds, fight savage beasts and outwit rival treasure hunters. Fraught with intrigue, excitement and danger, Lara’s adventure takes her from the ancient ruins of the Incans to the lost city of Atlantis in search of the mysterious Scion.
Rated T
File size: 211 MB
Game Demos

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Demo
Fans asked, and Capcom listened! One of the most popular fighting games of all time returns! MvC2 brings legendary characters from throughout Marvel and Capcom history to duke it out in an insane tag-team fighting experience. Featuring an unprecedented 56-character roster and now with HD support and online play, one of the best fighting games ever just got better!
Rated T
File size: 199 MB
Add-on Game Content

LittleBigPlanet MM Originals Pack 2 Historical ($3.99)
Create new levels or upgrade current ones with new building materials based on characters throughout history!
File size: 1.04 MB

LittleBigPlanet Historical Costume Pack ($2.99)
Get new costumes based on characters through out history including Mozart, Ghengis Khan, Ada Lovelace, and Boudicca.

LittleBigPlanet Ada Lovelace Costume ($0.99)
The best thing about Sackboy is that you can make him look and act exactly how you want. Download this additional costume to dress him up as Ada Lovelace, daughter of poet Lord Byron and one of the first people to predict the future power of computers!

LittleBigPlanet Boudicca Costume ($0.99)
The best thing about Sackboy is that you can make him look and act exactly how you want. Download this additional costume to dress him up as the rebellious Boudicca, queen of the Britons!

LittleBigPlanet Ghengis Khan Costume ($0.99)
The best thing about Sackboy is that you can make him look and act exactly how you want. Download this additional costume to dress him up as Genghis Khan, the fearsome 13th century warlord who made the Mongol Empire the largest in the world!

LittleBigPlanet Mozart Costume ($0.99)
The best thing about Sackboy is that you can make him look and act exactly how you want. Download this additional costume to dress him up as 18th century classical composer and all-round musical genius Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart!

PAIN: Knockin’ Bloks Mode ($1.99)
Welcome to Knockin’ Bloks, a new Single Player PAIN Mode that really tests your skills. Show off your accuracy in Shotbloks, where you have to aim carefully to score high. Then you can race the timer in Clockbloks and take down the castle as quickly as possible. Each of the two challenges in Knockin’ Bloks has five different layouts as well as Global Leaderboards so you can see where you stand against the rest of the world. See you in PAIN!
File size: 100 KB

PAIN Museum Environment ($5.99)
Put a little life into an otherwise bland and stiff museum with this new add-on environment for PAIN. With countless things to do like Ooching around the rails to taking flight on a rocket, to giving something special to that guy buffing the floors who always looks at you funny, this museum is never going to be the same. Hop in that launcher and get to work! Download this environment today!

PAIN Smooth Jarvis Character (free)
Meet Smooth Jarvis, a veteran launchee complete with a new look, voice-over, poses (Double Pits To Chesty, anyone?), and plenty more of the PAINful attitude we know and love…and he’s FREE, brought to PAIN by the fine folks at Axe. Download Smooth Jarvis today, and Axe like you know!

Cross Edge Big Strong Pack ($1.99)
Pick up this pack and outfit yourself with the latest gear!
File size: 111 KB

Cross Edge Additional Dungeon 5 (free)
Extend your adventure with this bonus dungeon!

Cross Edge Stew Pack ($1.99)

Cross Edge Unspoken Fear Pack ($1.99)

Disgaea 3 DLC Complete Set ($49.99)
This is it. Get all the Disgaea 3 downloadable contents with this package. You won’t have to download everything one by one just click and install. This package also comes with a special custom theme.
File size: 1.24 MB

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires Arabian Armor Set (women) (free)
Arabian Armor Set (for women) – Get this new set of attire to customize your character’s appearance in Edit Mode.
File size: 3.44 MB

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires Wa Armor Set (women) (free)
Wa Armor Set (for women) – Get this new set of attire to customize your character’s appearance in Edit Mode.
File size: 3.45 MB

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires Mystic Armor Set (men) (free)
Mystic Armor Set (for men) – Get this new set of attire to customize your character’s appearance in Edit Mode.
File size: 3.41 MB

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires Shinobi Armor Set (men) (free)
Shinobi Armor Set (for men) – Get this new set of attire to customize your character’s appearance in Edit Mode.
File size: 3.48 MB

Guitar Hero World Tour
For all song credits please visit www.guitarhero.com.

* Activision Music Track Pack (free) – Downloadable Track Pack for Guitar Hero World Tour featuring “Nothing All The Time” by H is Orange, “The Silence is Deafening” by Awaken and “I’ll Never Know” by Hundred Reasons. Please Note: Many songs are available both as singles and as part of a Track Pack, so please carefully consider your purchases before downloading.

File size: 118 MB

Madden NFL 10 Packs and Upgrades (x27) ($0.50 – $9.99)
Various packs and upgrades for Madden NFL 10!
File sizes: 100 KB each

Red Faction Guerrilla Demons of the Badlands Pack 1 ($9.99)
Set several years before the arrival of Alec Mason on Mars, take control of Samanya to lead the Marauder revolt. Take down the EDF with Spiker machine guns and new Marauder melee weapons. Search the Martian terrain in new Marauder vehicles and walkers. 10 new Guerrilla Actions and 10 unlockable achievements are included in this entirely new single player game.
File size: 444 MB

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010 Gary Player CC ($7.50)
Play one of the world’s top 100 and longest golf courses. Located in South Africa, this course requires stamina and accuracy, and is home to the Nedbank Million Dollar Golf Challenge. Watch out for hole number 9 which is known for its risk and reward.
File size: 243 MB

Rock Band
Build your Rock Band library by purchasing these song game tracks. For song credits, visit www.RockBand.com.

* “Clint Eastwood”— Gorillaz ($1.99)
* “Feel Good Inc.”— Gorillaz ($1.99)
* “Re-Hash”— Gorillaz ($1.99)
* Gorillaz Pack 01 ($5.49) – Build your Rock Band library by purchasing this song game track pack: Gorillaz Pack 01. This pack includes: “Clint Eastwood,” “Feel Good Inc.,” and “Re-Hash” by Gorillaz.
* “Piece of My Heart”— Janis Joplin ($1.99)
* “Chest Fever (Live)”— The Band ($1.99)
* “Magic Bus (Live at Leeds)”— The Who ($1.99)
* “White Rabbit”— Jefferson Airplane ($1.99)

File sizes: 17 MB – 52 MB (singles), 116 MB (track pack)
Game Videos (free)

PULSE 8/13 Edition
Join host Christina Lee for PULSE presented by the PlayStation Network. This edition features arcade favorite MARVEL vs. CAPCOM 2, the classic rock of SingStar Queen, and Dynasty Warriors for your PSP. We also bring you an update on PlayStation Home as well as new video releases Best Ranger Competition and 17 Again, starring Zac Efron.
File size: 247 MB (HD), 411 MB (1080)

Alpha Protocol Gameplay Walkthrough #2
File size: 209 MB (HD)

Darksiders Comic Con Trailer
File size: 61 MB (HD)

Mini Ninjas Tora Vignette
File size: 62 MB (HD)

Battle Tanks Trailer
File size: 19 MB (SD)

Astro Tripper Trailer
File size: 54 MB (HD)

Unbound Saga Between The Panels Issue 3
File size: 23 MB (SD)
Themes

Azmodeus Dark Angels Theme 4 ($1.49)
File size: 3.16 MB

Metal Battalion Maidens Theme 3 ($1.49)
File size: 4.83 MB

Amplified Theme ($1.49)
File size: 5.49 MB

World’s Apart Theme ($1.49)
File size: 4.62 MB

Lingerie Football League ($1.99)
File size: 5.87 MB

Disgaea 3: All Star Theme ($0.99)
File size: 1.17 MB

Fear 2: Reborn Theme ($1.99)
File size: 5.76 MB
Wallpaper (free)

Fat Princess Wallpaper 1
File size: 887 KB (SD) 1.31 MB (1080)
PlayStation Store for PSP
Add-on Game Content

Rock Band Unplugged (also available from PS3 storefront)
Build your Rock Band Unplugged library by purchasing these song game tracks. For song credits, visit www.RockBand.com.

* “The Number of the Beast”— Iron Maiden ($1.99)
* “The Trooper”— Iron Maiden ($1.99)

File sizes: 19 MB – 21 MB
Game Videos (free)

PULSE 8/13 Edition
File size: 47 MB

Unbound Saga: Between the Panels issue 3
File size: 11 MB
PSP Themes

Amplified PSP Theme ($1.49)
File size: 319 KB

World’s Apart PSP Theme ($1.49)
File size: 398 KB

Lingerie Football League PSP Theme ($1.99)
File size: 524 KB

Azmodeus Dark Angels PSP Theme 7 ($0.99)
File size: 532 KB

Azmodeus Dark Angels PSP Theme 8 ($0.99)
File size: 482 KB

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/13/playstation-store-update-98/#more-14674

No PSP games? Only eight weeks left to the Go launch and over 240 games to go... Wonder how that'll work out.

TheSeks

Edag Plata said:
Yeah, it's up. Tomb Raider too.

For $10. WTF. :/

DMPrince said:

Too bad I got what I wanted, minus the Raspbryl stuff.

Also MvC2 won't unlock with the demo from June. So you may have to redownload the "demo" if you didn't delete that demo. Trying it now since my "full game" 6kb unlock didn't unlock it. :/

vazel

Banned
damaster129 said:
what? is there a story to a starbucks cup costing 240 bucks?
You can reuse those cups at starbucks for a discount. They're apparently sold out at most places(for now anyway). He's exaggerating on the price btw, they sell nowhere near $240.

topofuji

Banned
FINALLY!!!! :D The MVC2 mania has officially begun on the PS3.

Gonna be getting shit sleep due to this, but whatever. It's so worth it. :lol

Top Bottom