• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store for PS3 near it's end?

Ozrimandias

I still keep my PS3, full of ps1 and ps2 classics as well as games that can only be played on PS3 (Like Mgs4) in short, it is a console that I still use. A few days ago I wanted to buy Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. My surprise was great when I realized that it is not possible to buy any single game from the PS3 store. But not only that, but the timed trials of some titles no longer work. This is not happening with the Vita store, which is still active. Is this a sign that this store is about to disappear? What will happen with the Ps1 and Ps2 classics? What will happen with the games that were given for ps plus subscribers? What will happen with the digital games that need activation? Are we approaching the end of an era?

(You can still buy some content, but only on it's web)

I just got MGS and Silent Hill like a week ago. Really hope this isn't the case since I still have a few games I'd like to get. Do you mean you can no longer buy from the console but you can through the web/app?

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

You know? I tried to do it, bu had a terrible performance with some games downloaded on those stores, in fact, the same game (Pandora Tomorrow) was almost unplayable

Maybe it was a bad file. I've had perfect performance with everything from PS1 through PS3.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hi, I just bought this on my PS3 after reading this thread:

3Q7YrtC.jpg

Last edited:

Quasicat

I bought the Mark of Kri last week on mine since I was wanting to play something new. As I was browsing the store, I thought the same thing: How much longer will this stuff be available to purchase or redownload?
I’ve been debating on modding mine, but just need to research it to see if I can still play Mass Effect multiplayer if I do. I’m just not too sure if it would lead to an account ban since I’m entirely digital and I don’t want to lose the games I’ve bought.

JSoup

Banned
This comes up in trophy hunting communities every other day.
The answer is eventually, but not any time soon. The PSN is built in such a way that straight up shutting down the store for one system would require the fabled PSN restructure.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
All those amazing PS1, PS2, and PSN Only games are the best parts of the PS3. You can get SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Fatal Frame 1 & 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, and etc for PS2. That doesn’t mention Parasite Eve 1 & 2, Mega Man Legends 1 & 2, Legend of Dragoon, and a bunch of PS1 classics. Marvel vs Capcom Origins and MvC2 (both are delisted now).

I would imagine they had something like the iTunes Store or the Kindle store. Where you don’t feel like the service would come to a halt one day. What sorta sucks is when you think about how your movies might have a longer digital life span than your PS game library.

Last edited:
Top Bottom