• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Studios boss: I encourage our teams to be fiercely daring

Kokoloko85

Or Kratos ends up killing Loki when he goes bad.

the avengers loki GIF

Or gives him a good spanking.
That would be….fiercely daring lol.

As long as Kratos doesnt die Ill be good

I think most people wouldn’t consider Demon’s Souls or Shadow of the Colossus daring today. They were when they originally released though.

TLG and Gravity Rush, absolutely. It’s a shame Sony have restructured the studio to focus on Astro moving forward.

To be fair, Returnal and DeS weren’t developed by ‘our teams’ as Hulst is talking about here, but fair play to Sony for financing them.

On a separate note, it’s interesting that only a handful of people are calling out this self-promotional puff piece, when any negative article on Sony is met with hysteria and claims that it’s Microsoft astroturfing.
Demon's remake was a collaboration with Japan Studio. Gavin Moore, the guy you probably don't know or never saw talking in all the interviews was a Japan Studio guy (previously directed Puppeteer).

Returnal was also a collaboration. Housemarque was an indie studio taking their biggest step ever, a very challenging task, they couldn't have made Returnal without Sony's help and that's not just about money, not to mention they were already on the verge of being acquired, they were already a part of Sony just like Insomniac was years before being bought.

Sony also dared in the past to support Ready At Dawn, an also small studio that had a few good PSP titles and ports under its belt, on going up to another level with The Order 1886. Sadly it didn't work, they don't always do but Sony never backs down on these challenges and supporting their teams ambitions. Same thing happened with Sony Bend Studio. They only made small/medium stuff and dared to make Days Gone. It didn't work so well, the Studio still exist, the IP is there and it made its money even if it didn't meet the expectations. May return some day, who knows. Investing in a remaster of the caliber of Shadow of the Colossus is not a walk in the park. It's not cheap and the mentality must be centered around something else than "it's going to make us a lot of profit". Which other studios dare to go to the lengths Sony goes to invest in niche titles like that one and Demon's Souls, the Last Guardian...Dreams? The list is endless.

sainraja

The best Sony published game over the last two generations has been Bloodborne, but it was developed by From.

I don't really consider checkbox cinematic AAA games to be particularly daring, actually they are the exact opposite, although I have enjoyed a few of them.
This is such a meaningless and disingenuous description of Sony games that focus on character story/narrative – since when has putting actual effort in making sure the characters you have are relatable and there is a good enough story to go along with it simply brushed of as being checkbox cinematic (and what does that even mean)?

Before Sony made it a priority to focus on doing that, we had games like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, the only other series that I feel has really good voice acting and interesting characters. Point being, linear games existed long before it was a focus of Sony's and we don't get enough of those. Stop diminishing those games by simply calling them "cinematic" as a way to downplay them.

My Series X is my main multi platform console but FINALLY got my PS5 today and was immediately hit with the ‘good god I forget how much I love Sony exclusives’ thought.

Honeymoon period maybe but 👌🏻

SSfox

That would be….fiercely daring lol.

As long as Kratos doesnt die Ill be good
In the end it's about how it's done, back then it was annoying that MGS2 was mostly raiden and bit of Snake, but it was still great game, and Raiden was a cool character, also what Koji san did with Snake in MGS2 is actually genius and made the character even more badass, i can go deep in details into this subject but it would take me few pages, but to summarize they simply made Solid Snake even mode badass than ever.

But what ND did to Joel was very poorly executed and pure dogshit just to fulfill their woke agenda. I feel like this studio is lost since Amy and Bruce departure.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The Last of Us 2 (narrative-wise)
Yeah but gameplay is the same or very similar. I wouldn’t say that was taking a risk to be fair. In terms of taking a risk it’s more about making games that are different if changing gameplay styles.

you could say god of war was slightly taking a risk by changing how it played from previous games and it worked for many the nee style

Kokoloko85

In the end it's about how it's done, back then it was annoying that MGS2 was mostly raiden and bit of Snake, but it was still great game, and Raiden was a cool character, also what Koji san did with Snake in MGS2 is actually genius and made the character even more badass, i can go deep in details into this subject but it would take me few pages, but to summarize they simply made Solid Snake even mode badass than ever.

But what ND did to Joel was very poorly executed and pure dogshit just to fulfill their woke agenda. I feel like this studio is lost since Amy and Bruce departure.

Im still upset we didnt get to play as prime Solid Snake more than MGS 1 and a small segment in MGS2 :( Yeah MGS2 was amazing too.
Too much big boss and old Snake in the last 2 decades. Id love to have a game between MGS1 and MGS2 focused on Solid Snake.

With TLOU2,
I would of preferred if they done something completely different than kill Joel off, maybe kill off his brother or kill Joel in the end.
But at the end of TLOU2 I realized I really enjoyed it. Especially when they got to California. I enjoyed it alot. If it ended where Ellie and Abbey fight in the theatre I would of of hated it though.

Yeah there was some annoying woke like parts. I think if they dropped Abbey’s muscle mass to what she use to look like before she bulked up, it wouldnt of been as ridiculous ( and it clearly triggers people alot and as stupid as it was, I ignored it )
And also the “trans” character that I didnt even realise was trans till my brother told me lol. Otherwise I didnt mind Abbey and her crew And she had the better segments in the game, like escaping the island was kinda epic. And I feel bad about the dog lol :(

Apart from those problems, I agree they did not make the best choice in story but i guess they wanted to focus on how Joel’s decision has consequences And would of probably happened if it was a realistic situation. Killing a bunch of innocent scientists who have kids will reap revenge in that world.
Sometime during crossing roads with the “Sniper” Tommy I started liking it more and what they were doing.

My biggest complain about the game was more gameplay, yes I loved it and most games don’t come close to what Naughty Dog does in alot of ways. But there wasnt enough Uncharted like action/rollercoaster moments with Ellie’s part of the game, like there was with in the 1st game.
Or moments like the hunters, David, Henry or Bill’s segment. Also there wasnt enough Clicker moments and fights Or new monsters. The first game had alot more.

And the chemistry between Ellie and Dina wasnt nowhere near as good as Joel and Ellie, it didnt feel like an epic journey until more at the end where it felt like a revenge story which was still good. Just not nowhere as good as the 1st game in that department.

Like I said, I would of much prefered they didnt kill Joel off at the start and went with completely different story. But it was still a great game. Better than 80-90% of games out there

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
I hate these masturbatory statements.

Do we expect them to say "We plan on making the same games over and over"? Or "Our Marketing team says 'X' is hot right now and will.make a shit ton of money".

Leading up to the launch of these consoles all anyone could talk about was how vocal and open MS was compared to how closed and quiet Sony was.

Now Playstation bosses are opening up, doing interviews and talking about what's upcoming and gamers are all "STFU and show me stuff!!!!"

You can't please some, I guess.

Corndog

Banned
How many XBox, Nintendo IP's have those companies rebuilt from the ground up with their character being changed from a one dimmensinal angry killing machine to a man who now has a son and has to learn to not only be a father but actually be compassionate? How many games tell that story of a father and son where the father himself has to change to save his son from a similar life choice?

Sounds theres a reason for many in the industry God of war 2018 was GOTG.
Wow a father and son story. How unique.

Top Bottom