• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita FW 1.8. What changed?

Anyone know how to prevent the screen dimming when playing PS1 games? Have to tap the screen, or press a button to bring the screen back up to full brightness.

Absolutely love the improvements to PSP controls. I've been playing P3P and now I can use the right stick for camera control in Tartarus, just like the PS2 version. :)

For some reason I now cannot connect to my network at work. :(

I used to have to load up the browser, and it would then ask me I want to load the "certificate" which I would then sign into, and I was online.

Now it just attempts to load a web page, but never asks me about the certificate. It then gives me a message saying it cannot connect to the network.
I had this problem last night. I don't know what it was but the update seemed to have killed my ability to connect to my network.
I fixed it by going into the Safe Menu and rebuilding the database. Turn off your Vita and then hold onto the R, Power, and PS buttons for like 30 seconds and it should pop up.

I have to say that I'm gutted that no-one has mentioned my personal favourite part of the update..

I asked developer support to add the ability to take a photo from the messaging app and it made it in :) (Sending photos as a message attachment was a major pain in the ass before!)

see5harp

This was really a solid update. Sony surprised me with this one. The best things surely are getting rid of the 'please wait' messages everytime you went to friends/messaging apps. Rear touch was a nice touch but I still can't see how people are using that browser on a daily basis. It's terrible, unsmooth, slow, extremely low res for text, and most site content doesn't even seem to load.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone notice the subtle upgrades to the browser? Like when you post, it auto scrolls down to your post. Or when I turn the Vita in, it remembers how far down on the page I was.

I had this problem last night. I don't know what it was but the update seemed to have killed my ability to connect to my network.
I fixed it by going into the Safe Menu and rebuilding the database. Turn off your Vita and then hold onto the R, Power, and PS buttons for like 30 seconds and it should pop up.

I tried that. Didn't help me at all.

pixelbox

This was really a solid update. Sony surprised me with this one. The best things surely are getting rid of the 'please wait' messages everytime you went to friends/messaging apps. Rear touch was a nice touch but I still can't see how people are using that browser on a daily basis. It's terrible, unsmooth, slow, extremely low res for text, and most site content doesn't even seem to load.
Huh?

patsu

I use it all the time ! It works for most sites I visit except for HTML5/Flash support. In fact I'm using it now. The browser is fast, text is high DPI, not sure what you mean by low res text.

kirby2096

You mean HD trailers?

Yes, I just copied over a 720p trailer and I was surprised it transferred over. I thought, "Nah, it's gonna give me an error as soon as I try to play it", but then it blew my mind as it played flawlessly.
Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and that's always been the case, and the disappointment about the memory card fiasco has made me find as many positives out of the FW 1.80 update as possible..

I think I found a weird little bug. I downloaded all my PS1 games to my PS3, transferred them over to my Vita and then tried to back them up on my PC but a few of them (the top four; Fear Effect 2, G-Police, CTR and Syphon Filter 3) didn't have their names displayed in the Content Manager when trying to do that last step. The 'boxart' and game sizes appeared but not the names. For a second I thought they'd been corrupted but they're otherwise fine.

Raine

Yes, I just copied over a 720p trailer and I was surprised it transferred over. I thought, "Nah, it's gonna give me an error as soon as I try to play it", but then it blew my mind as it played flawlessly.
Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and that's always been the case, and the disappointment about the memory card fiasco has made me find as many positives out of the FW 1.80 update as possible..

Wow. No it hasn't been the case. I remember trying to copy a Dark Knight trailer over months ago and it wouldn't do it.

see5harp

I use it all the time ! It works for most sites I visit except for HTML5/Flash support. In fact I'm using it now. The browser is fast, text is high DPI, not sure what you mean by low res text.

Most sites are formatted for phones. Go to pitchfork.com and try and read an article. You need to zoom to read clearly. I suppose I could turn the vita. The other issue is embedded video and audio which never seem to display so unless it's a direct link there's no way to play something. The text is lower DPI than any of my mobile devices, people saying they use this browser on a daily basis must not have access to a decent mobile devic.

Theonik

Wow. No it hasn't been the case. I remember trying to copy a Dark Knight trailer over months ago and it wouldn't do it.
I copied the Uncharted 2 Gamescom trailer fine before the update. It was probably the video that caused the issue in the first place.

720p trailers have always worked on it, 1080p ones don't though.

Shinriji

Most sites are formatted for phones. Go to pitchfork.com and try and read an article. You need to zoom to read clearly. I suppose I could turn the vita. The other issue is embedded video and audio which never seem to display so unless it's a direct link there's no way to play something. The text is lower DPI than any of my mobile devices, people saying they use this browser on a daily basis must not have access to a decent mobile devic.

Now it is better than my iPhone safari, at least.

Shinriji

It is a bigger screen if that's what you are arguing.

Not at all, but the question is: the Vita browser is better than Safari on my 3GS. I just quoted because you were saying that people that uses the Vita browser don't have access to a better mobile device.

Of course, if the iPhone never was a better mobile device as well, then carry on.

patsu

The mobile format is not broken though. I don't have to zoom in to read the articles, but I can indeed zoom in/out freely. I still don't know what you mean by low res text. It may not be as high as my 4S but the DPI is still good. Vita has a larger screen, plus it's convenient to swipe over and browse. Sometimes, my phone may be charging for instance.

Yes, lack of av tag is limiting. They should launch the Youtube Or Video app automatically.

Other than that, things display quickly especially when using the simplified mobile layout. Text entry is fine thanks to the superb text completion bar. It is not surprising to use it to surf GAF and fora plus blogs for example.

How does this help Vice City Stories though? The camera in that is mapped to L+Right Stick by default. Is there a way to change this to something more manageable on Vita?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help Vice City Stories at all, you still can't combine the L button with the analog stick. It would be great if they added a custom modifier button like that.

see5harp

Not at all, but the question is: the Vita browser is better than Safari on my 3GS. I just quoted because you were saying that people that uses the Vita browser don't have access to a better mobile device.

Of course, if the iPhone never was a better mobile device as well, then carry on.

At least that is HTML5 compliant. I think the browsing experience even on a 3GS is better than the Vita (I was rocking the 3gs until a few months ago).

patsu

At least that is HTML5 compliant. I think the browsing experience even on a 3GS is better than the Vita (I was rocking the 3gs until a few months ago).

3GS has av tag, copy-and-paste, and better layout/rendering. Very seamless usage like other iOS devices.

But it has lower DPI than Vita (low res text ?), smaller screen, is not so well supported by iOS5 (People report more crashing, slowness compared to say 4S).

If you can get used to the Vita keyboard layout, it's not as bad as you think.

As someone who comments on activities (and receives none in return okayface.gif), getting notified when someone comments/likes a status is a big deal. Will actually promote what I think is a neat little touch.

see5harp

3GS has av tag, copy-and-paste, and better layout/rendering. Very seamless usage like other iOS devices.

But it has lower DPI than Vita (low res text ?), smaller screen, is not so well supported by iOS5 (People report more crashing, slowness compared to say 4S).

If you can get used to the Vita keyboard layout, it's not as bad as you think.

Safari has been nearly the same browser it's been since the launch of iPhone aside from the addition of copy and paste. The reason why the dpi doesn't always matter is that most sites are formatted for the iPhone. When you go to a mobile version of a site on vita, due to the wide screen, posts will automatically scale to that size width. "Low res text" was poorly worded but compared to my iPad it certainly is.

patsu

Safari has been nearly the same browser it's been since the launch of iPhone aside from the addition of copy and paste. The reason why the dpi doesn't always matter is that most sites are formatted for the iPhone. When you go to a mobile version of a site on vita, due to the wide screen, posts will automatically scale to that size width. "Low res text" was poorly worded but compared to my iPad it certainly is.

Nope. Safari, or specifically WebKit, has undergone a major revamp from WebKit 1 to WebKit 2.

The wider screen will just let the text flow longer (across the width) since Vita has a bigger screen than a typical iOS, 'specially 3GS.

You mean iPad 2 ? Compared to iPad 2, a whole lot of devices have poorer text rendering including high DPI phones. That's because iPad 2 has retina display + a 10" screen. ^_^
No other portable device will come close for that DPI + size combo.

Sakurina

I'll tell you what changed; my Vita won't boot anymore, that's what changed. D:<

Safari has been nearly the same browser it's been since the launch of iPhone aside from the addition of copy and paste.

From the user experience side, yes, Safari has been fairly consistent since the original version with minor visual tweaks here or there, but the rendering engine and the Web technologies it can handle have expanded massively since the first version, so I wouldn't quite say it's "nearly the same browser".

In can see See5harps point.

I think gaf looks a little weird on the browser. The text is small and not sharp like on my touch. Mobile gaf looks awesome on the touch, but it doesnt look as good to me on the vita all stretched out and not optimized for he screen size. Plus the ads don't load it seems?

Maybe I am missing the option, but can you adjust font size in the browser? I also wish you could palm the vita and browse with the screen vertical. Is that an option?

I have been saying this forever, I wish it would auto load the YouTube app when you click links.

That said, the browser is fast. I like keyboard. In love the new top of screen arrow. I like the big screen.

patsu

I'll tell you what changed; my Vita won't boot anymore, that's what changed. D:<

Woah, that's bad ? What's the fix ? Send it in to Sony ? 8^(

From the user experience side, yes, Safari has been fairly consistent since the original version with minor visual tweaks here or there, but the rendering engine and the Web technologies it can handle have expanded massively since the first version, so I wouldn't quite say it's "nearly the same browser".

Yap ! JavaScriptCore has also improved tremendously. WebKit 2 is also safer since the plugins are launched in background processes. It is also heavily threaded.

I can only hope that Sony continue to evolve the Vita browser. There are already WebKit 2 embedded browsers that support AV tags on the market.

In can see See5harps point.

I think gaf looks a little weird on the browser. The text is small and not sharp like on my touch. Mobile gaf looks awesome on the touch, but it doesnt look as good to me on the vita all stretched out and not optimized for he screen size. Plus the ads don't load it seems?

Maybe I am missing the option, but can you adjust font size in the browser? I also wish you could palm the vita and browse with the screen vertical. Is that an option?

I have been saying this forever, I wish it would auto load the YouTube app when you click links.

That said, the browser is fast. I like keyboard. In love the new top of screen arrow. I like the big screen.

GAF uses mobile format for iPhone and Vita. Yes, the ads don't load but I take that as a plus. ^_^

There is no way to adjust the font size. At least I can't find the option myself.

Auto-launch Youtube will definitely be welcomed.

see5harp

That's exactly what I mean. The User experience or how I use the device. It's always had smooth scrolling and decent rendering from day on the iPhone 1. As more sites have become HTML5 compliant, I'm sure they've had to improve the browser to improve speeds. I don't think the Vita browser is on the same level, in any case. Would I use the Vita over my desktop, my macbook, my iPad, or my iPhone? Of course not.

Iacobellis

Nope. Safari, or specifically WebKit, has undergone a major revamp from WebKit 1 to WebKit 2.

The wider screen will just let the text flow longer (across the width) since Vita has a bigger screen than a typical iOS, 'specially 3GS.

You mean iPad 2 ? Compared to iPad 2, a whole lot of devices have poorer text rendering including high DPI phones. That's because iPad 2 has retina display + a 10" screen. ^_^
No other portable device will come close for that DPI + size combo.

iPad 2 doesn't have a Retina display.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sure haven't - didn't know such an option existed! That would be somewhere in the Settings section right? Cheers.

You have to press and hold on the front screen like in the PSP emulator to bring up the settings and options, like changing the screen size.

patsu

iPad 2 doesn't have a Retina display.

Bwahaha... my bad. I meant iPad 3.

That's exactly what I mean. The User experience or how I use the device. It's always had smooth scrolling and decent rendering from day on the iPhone 1. As more sites have become HTML5 compliant, I'm sure they've had to improve the browser to improve speeds. I don't think the Vita browser is on the same level, in any case. Would I use the Vita over my desktop, my macbook, my iPad, or my iPhone? Of course not.

The Vita browser refreshes screen slower when you scroll. It is indeed not at the same level as Safari.

Then again, when I'm playing game in bed. It's much more convenient to launch the Vita browser instead of getting out of bed, sit up and browse on my MBA. Or go unplug my iPhone 4S from the charging station.

Fortunately, the latest patch removed much of the artifacts when redrawing pages. I don't think the Vita browser is as bad as you think. It's usable once you get used to the keyboard layout. I can often type faster on Vita than 4S because the text completion is better.

Naturally, I can type fastest on the MBA, touch faster on the iPad; but that doesn't mean 4S and Vita will not get daily use.

SHarris78

CoNfUsEd! With regard the PS1 games, where are they? I thought they'd show up in the Playstation Store from within the Vita itself but i can't find any? Do you HAVE to buy them via a PS3/PC and transfer them over?

GAF uses mobile format for iPhone and Vita. Yes, the ads don't load but I take that as a plus. ^_^

There is no way to adjust the font size. At least I can't find the option myself.

Auto-launch Youtube will definitely be welcomed.

I am comparing mobile gaf Vita to my android tablet and touch right now.

The bottom portions of the top blue bar and the bottom screen nav button icons are cut off. If look at the neogaf logo globe in the top left, you can see this, as the bottom part is clipped off.

It's like all button icons were squashed to fit on the screen.

Maybe that is why it looks weird to me. I can notice it and it gets on my nerves, lol.

patsu

I am comparing mobile gaf Vita to my android tablet and touch right now.

The bottom portions of the top blue bar and the bottom screen nav button icons are cut off. If look at the neogaf logo globe in the top left, you can this, as the bottom part is clipped off.

It's like all button icons were squashed to fit on the screen.

Maybe that is why it looks weird to me. I can notice it and it gets on my nerves, lol.

I did notice that the icons are clipped slightly, but as long as they work as expected, my attention is focused on the posts.

The Vita browser supports swipe-and-hold for automated scrolling. Makes it convenient to scroll up and down a large chunk of the page quickly too.

It used to be rather annoying since I can't jump to the address bar with one tap (like iOS). With 1.80, they finally added the feature. So I'm happier now.

Raine

I just re-downloaded Monster Hunter and it appears they made PSP games bubbles a lighter shade like the PS1 bubbles?

spats

CoNfUsEd! With regard the PS1 games, where are they? I thought they'd show up in the Playstation Store from within the Vita itself but i can't find any? Do you HAVE to buy them via a PS3/PC and transfer them over?

I think they'll go up once the store updates. Otherwise you can just hook up the Vita to your PS3 and transfer them over using the content manager. Remember that you have to have the install bubbles on your PS3, not just the installed executables.

LiquidMetal14 said:
System shut down is way faster now.
A lot of things feel nicer and snappier than before. Nice little update.

Top Bottom