• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3sphere

This french guy is a respected gamer/blogger and he was not convinced by Uncharted: http://gamingsince198x.fr/entre-nous/playstation-vita-la-portable-ultime/

He says it is the best looking game on a handheld, but then complains about framerate issues which spoil the experience. About Modnation Racer, he says it's a joke with huge framerate issues, huge loading times, while the game is slow and bad looking. About the hardware he says the screen is not the wowser psp was at the time, and analog sticks feel fragile.

Dunno how he wasn't impressed with the screen, it's leagues ahead of PSP. Blacks look grey on the PSP in comparison.

ballerusk

This might have been replied to before, if so, my apologies.

When I have my JP PS Vita in Europe will I only be able to sign in to the EU PS Store because of my IP or can I access the US PS Store with my US account?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Re: Uncharted frame-drops.

A GAFFer who finished the game reported that it does indeed drop a few frames in a couple of spots in the later ievels, but not to an offensive degree.

gkryhewy

Dunno how he wasn't impressed with the screen, it's leagues ahead of PSP. Blacks look grey on the PSP in comparison.

Presumably he's comparing it to other screens on CE devices, many of which are quite good. When the PSP was first released, there wasn't anything else quite like it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This might have been replied to before, if so, my apologies.

When I have my JP PS Vita in Europe will I only be able to sign in to the EU PS Store because of my IP or can I access the US PS Store with my US account?
You can sign into EU PS Store on your EU Account when the Vita launches in EU.
You can sign into US PS Store on your US Account when the Vita launches in US.
You can sign into JP PS Store on your JP Account anytime anywhere.

What settings do I want my video files to be in order to upload them on my Vita? I want to convert some shows/anime now in preparation. I know the PSP was very picky (especially with audio and resolution).

ballerusk

You can sign into EU PS Store on your EU Account when the Vita launches in EU.
You can sign into US PS Store on your US Account when the Vita launches in US.
You can sign into JP PS Store on your JP Account anytime anywhere.

Ah thanks, I thought I read someplace about IP blocking of some sort?

mollipen

What settings do I want my video files to be in order to upload them on my Vita? I want to convert some shows/anime now in preparation. I know the PSP was very picky (especially with audio and resolution).

Typically for the PSP, I either used "standard" or "iTunes" profiles for h.264 MP4 conversations (or whatever terms the app I was running used for such profiles). I'd think as long as you're doing the same kind of things for the Vita, everything should work fine.

spwolf

Presumably he's comparing it to other screens on CE devices, many of which are quite good. When the PSP was first released, there wasn't anything else quite like it.

OLED screen not good enough for Vita? I guess they should have invented new tech, as it is obviously not good enough for $250 PSP vs $700 phones with... smaller screens :).

ballerusk

Stores aren't up, so they're giving a IP error. Same thing has happened in the past when certain regions were down.

Then I think I will use my US account as I feel it's superior to the EU PS Store even though I have to buy gift cards to buy stuff.

Atruvius

Oh man. This thread got me craving for a Vita. It looks so pretty and colourful. Won't buy from Japan and have to wait two months. Damn it costs so much here. The cheapest 3G model I could find online costs €299 which is $390. Games also cost alot, around €50/$65.

Then I think I will use my US account as I feel it's superior to the EU PS Store even though I have to buy gift cards to buy stuff.

Just remember you need to play the game on the same account you bought it from PSS, otherwise prepare for ass-boring process of factory resetting the Vita.

Oh man. This thread got me craving for a Vita. It looks so pretty and colourful. Won't buy from Japan and have to wait two months. Damn it costs so much here. The cheapest 3G model I could find online costs €299 which is $390. Games also cost alot, around €50/$65.

What can we do? I already have 400EUR saved for that, should get me Vita + 16GB + 2 games. I don't think 3G is of much use without robust network i.e. outside Japan. Anyway, Day 1.

Wait a fucking second. The Vita PSN game store is IP LOCKED?! FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

Holy shit! That's a disaster! The worst possible case scenario! That means that if a game is released in Japan only, it will be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO EVEN IMPORT IT!!! Truly locked away in Japan only forever!

Not to mention that us folk who live in Europe and have US PS1 games on their PS3/PSP won't be able to play them on the Vita.

How the hell does this not have it's own thread yet? That's an apocalyptic scenario!

Dragon

Banned
Wait a fucking second. The Vita PSN game store is IP LOCKED?! FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!

Holy shit! That's a disaster! The worst possible case scenario! That means that if a game is released in Japan only, it will be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO EVEN IMPORT IT!!!

Not to mention that us folk who live in Europe and have US PS1 games on their PS3/PSP won't be able to play them on the Vita.

How the hell does this not have it's own thread yet? That's an apocalyptic scenario!

What is wrong with you?

The EU and US stores just aren't up for the vita

Grimmy

Banned

Holy shit! That's a disaster! The worst possible case scenario! That means that if a game is released in Japan only, it will be COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO EVEN IMPORT IT!!! Truly locked away in Japan only forever!

Then why don't you start one?

spwolf

it works the same as PS3 PSN.

btkadams

Why bother with logic when he has exclamation points and capital letters?

KuGsj.gif

gkryhewy

OLED screen not good enough for Vita? I guess they should have invented new tech, as it is obviously not good enough for $250 PSP vs $700 phones with... smaller screens :).

For a second I wondered how anyone could have misinterpreted my post so badly in a 'defensive for sony' posture, and then I saw your user name.

can anybody try UMvC3 with a dual shock 3 controller ? (if this works guess we all know how madcatz is planning to do a vita arcade stick for street x tekken)

Oni Jazar

About Modnation Racer, he says it's a joke with huge framerate issues, huge loading times, while the game is slow and bad looking.

How can they be stupid enough to make the same mistake twice? I swear Modnation Racers could be a mega franchise if they just had fast load-times and a solid FPS. F-ing morons.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Rofl

The PlayStation Vita is now available – in Japan. As we count down the 66 days until PS Vita lands ashore here in North America, we can at least read updated impressions of the hardware and the games that we’ve been previewing recently. For me, it’s all about Gravity Rush, as well as the Vita version of the series I spent the most hours playing on PSP: Hot Shots Golf.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/18/playstation-around-the-web-what-we-read-164/

Hopefully that means that we'll be seeing a lot of GR coverage on the blog from now on.

I also met up with a few of our top execs and Japan Studio developers (including the minds behind Everybody’s Golf and Gravity Daze) so look our for interviews between now and the European launch on 22 February.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/12/17/playstation-blog-recap-115/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Speaking of battery though, has there been any more formal tests yet? Anecdotal references are encouraging, but some benchmarks under various conditions would always be welcome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
APOCALYPTIC SCENARIO

Speaking of battery though, has there been any more formal tests yet? Anecdotal references are encouraging, but some benchmarks under various conditions would always be welcome.

only three people bought Vitas and they haven't been able to deplete the battery due to sheer boredom

spwolf

For a second I wondered how anyone could have misinterpreted my post so badly in a 'defensive for sony' posture, and then I saw your user name.

you explaining it doesnt make it any less stupid. by all reports it is best screen tech money can buy. then someone complaints that it is not 10 years ahead because it is already in some $700 phones. OLED is the next big thing, there is nothing else to put in there, not to mention it wouldnt be $250 for Vita then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom