• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures

Shikoro

Before the pixel counting crew got down to business no one was talking about Uncharted being blurry or sub-native res. Seems like Bend did the right job in balancing IQ vs complexity.
It's always the same, bro. One thing I know for sure is that people will be surprised when they have the Vita in their hands.

Katamari is the same in all platforms. In PS3 (aside of the filters) or in 360 looked exactly the same, without shadows and very plain textures.

beautiful_katamari.jpg

Vita superior version confirmed. :p

Yoshida responds to everyone.

Except me. :(

Gravijah

yo urrone relax. this is a screenshot thread, there will be people discussing the technical side of games here. but you're still free to discuss the non-technical side of screens!

chrislowe

I remember when people on this board thought that Nintendo DS was a graphical capable as the PSP..
or that Sega Rally 2 was a realistic rally simulator.
and now people think that the Vita looks bad cause not having native res in some titles?.

been reading this board since 1998, and it never stop to amaze me :)

Why would you disable it though? Seems so weird. Usually you want people to be sharing pics/info about your game...

Unless it's an RPG, where you can post plot twists and/or ending, or even worse Visual Adventure Novel, where you could just screenshot the whole game and save someone 100$. Best way would be to patch-in screenshot function after 2-3 weeks, but I don't think most developers are that smart.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sub HD for consoles means sub 720p. I am talking about 720p games, running on a 1080p TV, which is pretty much the resolution for all the TVs nowadays. Also, we are not talking about HD or not HD. There is no HD standard for handhelds. We are talking about games running at a lower resolution than the maximum resolution of the screen.

I like how you repeatedly gloss over my posts, despite the fact I've addressed this issue at least half a dozen times.

What's wrong with my post? That is indeed what we are talking about is it not? We are talking about games running at a lower resolution than the maximum resolution of the screen? How's that post glossing over anything? I am replying to a post saying that PC gamers always make fun of console gamers because of 720p, and I was just saying, sure, but in a different context. Because PC games run at higher resolution, not because of the resolution of their TV. Is that not true?

And sorry if I gloss over your posts, but I don't read every post in this thread, and you are just not very important to me. If do not feel like participating in a discussion, in a public forum, you can simply ignore it. We can always be civil about it.

Durante

Thanks for the pic-blowout DC.
So basically - out of the launch titles everything 3rd party is @native resolution, and the highest-profile 1st party games are lower.

It's like the 360 launch all over again...

Anyway where is Lazy8 - I want his explanation what happened to the AA in PVR chips. We now have 4 years and over a hundred devices including a dedicated handheld and I am still yet to see one freaking game using AA (let alone, using it without sacrifices).
I still think it's just a matter of fucked up developer priorities. I programmed for SGX (on cell phones, but still), and MSAA really is very cheap. Of course it's not free, nothing in 3D rendering is, but the hit is so small that not using it is just a wrong decision.

I hope the system-wide screenshot feature shames developers into improving the IQ of their games, unlike on consoles where they just release bullshots and only people with capture cards can call them out.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thanks for posting some screens fellas. I think we'll see some really gorgeous games throughout Vita's life cycle.

DCharlie

Banned
Uncharted - a game that started off a bit "wughh :/" but has picked up. Seems to be a lot more expore-y so far (still early) which i know a few people were asking for. Graphically seems to pick up too :

Unch1.jpg

Unch2.jpg

Unch3.jpg

Unch4.jpg

Unch5.jpg

Unch6.jpg

Unch7.jpg

Unch8.jpg

Shot 2 is WALL GUY for VITA! ;)

And obligatory awful innuendo text :/

Theonik

960 × 544 res screen, why on earth would it run any higher? Think next time.

Yes, 960x544 is qHD. These games run lower that that.
Think next time.
~
Those Power Smash/ Virtua Tennis shots look great. So does Blazblue though I don't understand why they seem to have used lower res art in the loading screen and the "wheels of fate are turning" shots.

Fezan

Uncharted - a game that started off a bit "wughh :/" but has picked up. Seems to be a lot more expore-y so far (still early) which i know a few people were asking for. Graphically seems to pick up too :

Unch1.jpg

Unch2.jpg

Unch3.jpg

Unch4.jpg

Unch5.jpg

Unch6.jpg

Unch7.jpg

Unch8.jpg

Shot 2 is WALL GUY for VITA! ;)

And obligatory awful innuendo text :/

i dont know what people want this looks better than some 2009-2010 ps360 games

Luigiv

I doubt there's no hard-reset option.

According to the manual, they are. You just need to unscrew a couple of screw.

Really. That's new then. Sony has been saying for the past few months that they weren't so I naturally assumed things wouldn't have changed. Anyone want to dismantle their vita and see how removable it really is?

Ugh, that's just hideous. 8 screws? guess that's what Sony meant. It's really not something you can do on the fly. Well at least it is user replaceable when the circumstances call.

I realised that Katamari on Vita is the first Katamari game that has "realistic shadows" applied to the katamari, instead of a circular shadow.

Ag2R75sCAAAU-Ah.jpg

DCharlie

Banned
Edit: Hey DCharlie, how does the balance stuff feel in the game? Is it the same feeling as when using the sixaxis?

a little bit better than the sixaxis which was a non-event. I actually fecked the first one up - lol.

Ridge pics - i took some crappy ones earlier. Game freezes all inputs when you hit photo as well. let me upload.

Actually, let me take some new ones instead

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well not easily removable. There should be so other way to reset it besides unscrewing stuff.

Yeah, I'd be really surprised if there's no hard reset method. Something like hold the power and PS button for a few seconds, then raise the Vita above your head and scream I HAVE THE POWER!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Yeah, I'd be really surprised if there's no hard reset method. Something like hold the power and PS button for a few seconds, then raise the Vita above your head and scream I HAVE THE POWER!

In that video he was already holding the power button though.

Haha, well I don't know about exactly that. ;) But yes, hopefully someone can find out if there is, that's absolutely ridiculous if there isn't which I doubt because of that very fact.

In that video he was already holding the power button though.
Usually it's a combination of buttons so you don't accidently do it though, no? I know with the ipod touch it's the lock and home button at the same time and you hold them.

gogogow

Well not easily removable. There should be so other way to reset it besides unscrewing stuff.

I don't think anyone meant it's soldered or something where it's psychically impossible to remove but having 5 steps of unscrewing stuff is an awful fucking solution to something like that. If there's a reset button then it's fine.

lol. You said it was non removable, that would either mean soldered or you can't open the Vita with screws without breaking the cover, like an iOS device. And people should only open it in an emergency like crashing, can't turn off and no hard reset button. It's not meant to be done every day.

I remember seeing the touchscreen locking up on the RedSunGamer crew and you have to touch screen to shut down but all they had to do was hold the power button until the Vita shut off completely. Turned it back on no problem. I think they we're testing custom soundtracks at the time. So I don't think you need to wait for battery drain thankfully as that's a little ridiculous.

That video was a different lock up though, jeez......

lol. You said it was non removable, that would either mean soldered or you can't open the Vita with screws without breaking the cover, like an iOS device. And people should only open it in an emergency like crashing, can't turn off and no hard reset button. It's not meant to be done every day.

Of course it's not meant to but why would you not have a hard reset option? Going through all that trouble when it crashes through no fault of your own is terrible.

So you can manufacture them in different places?

I think the question is though, why would you want to? If it's all on the same level it's always going to be cheaper to produce one PCB than multiple smaller ones.

Top Bottom