• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures

Spiegel

Unch7.jpg

Unch8.jpg

Whoa

Thanks for the pictures DCharlie. Keep them coming!

Wazzim

Banned
Of course it's not meant to but why would you not have a hard reset option? Going through all that trouble when it crashes through no fault of your own is terrible.

Yeah the PSP had a hard reset function even without removing the battery. It shuts down automatically after 10 seconds.

gogogow

Of course it's not meant to but why would you not have a hard reset option? Going through all that trouble when it crashes through no fault of your own is terrible.

Is that really confirmed to not have a hard reset button? Because it really should since I do agree that removing the battery might not be easy to do for everyone.

C_H_T

What happen if you connect a PS Vita to a PC/PS3? Will it reset the system (or sth similar to sync mode in iOS), to solve the freeze?

Is that really confirmed to not have a hard reset button? Because it really should since I do agree that removing the battery might not be easy to do for everyone.

Like I said on the last page, no one has said that there is but I think it's just people haven't had the system long enough. I would be absolutely devastated if they were that clueless to have no other solution then to completely open up the unit like that.

Yeah the PSP had a hard reset function even without removing the battery. It shuts down automatically after 10 seconds.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I hoping the guy in the video just wasn't holding down power long enough for they switched it to two buttons like the other guy suggested of power+PS button or something. It would be outrageous if there really was no way.

In that video he was already holding the power button though.

He didn't try PS button + Power though, that would be the most obvious combination.

Also, I'm fairly certain opening Vita to change battery voids your warranty. Does Japanese manual say anything about it?

jkh13

Neo Member
I think the question is though, why would you want to? If it's all on the same level it's always going to be cheaper to produce one PCB than multiple smaller ones.

Its probably to do with how they are repaired. Having multiple boards can make it easier and cheaper to fix certain problems. Also one of the boards might be 3g vs non-3g.

Its probably to do with how they are repaired. Having multiple boards can make it easier and cheaper to fix certain problems. Also one of the boards might be 3g vs non-3g.

Ya, that's what I would assume too. I don't know what each board does though, I was mostly responding to the idea of manufacturing it at different places when that will be more expensive.

Good sir, this is going in the OP !!

lol awesome, Yoshida rocks!

I think I will add that if you want to post native screens then do so but you can also scale them down in relation to the actual Vita's screen size. So none are too horrified and nitpicky about things.

I'm not complaining, even those blown up shots look a hell of a lot better then anything I have been playing on a portable.

Well it's certainly not PS3 level as some were expecting but it looks frikkin' great for a handheld. I don't see a problem like some in here. If interesting titles come out I'll be in the boat once the price drops.

DCharlie

Banned
You know, Ridge has it's problems but the screenshots do the game no justice whatsoever (30fps aside and all that)

Rid1.jpg

Rid2.jpg

Rid3.jpg

Rid4.jpg

Rid5.jpg

Rid6.jpg

Rid7.jpg

Rid8.jpg

Rid9.jpg

Rid10.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Originally Posted by Gacha-pin:
Hold the power button for about 20 seconds.
And also, you can go into a safe mode kinda thing by holding PS & R & Power button for 5 seconds.
So I was missing the R button.

orioto

Good Art™
Well, the pics do look a lot worse than I remember from the RedSunGamer livestream.

Do people realize those livestream had a completly blurry and compressed quality...
It's fun how you prefer to believe THAT was the truth, more than direct feed screenshot lol.

It seems to me Ridge Racer isn't 544p neither.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
You know, Ridge has it's problems but the screenshots do the game no justice whatsoever
So in addition to demo-content and 30FPS(?), it's also low-res (not sure if there's any AA either). I thought after 3DS version they couldn't go any lower...

I'm just being jaded because the awesomeness of PSP games is forever lost to this series.

On a related note - it really does feel like screenshot utility is actually doing its own version of (shitty) upscaling, making the captures in fact look worse then Vita screen beyond DPI differences.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Do people realize those livestream had a completly blurry and compressed quality...
It's fun how you prefer to believe THAT was the truth, more than direct feed screenshot lol.

It seems to me Ridge Racer isn't 544p neither.

I am saying my impression was that it seemed pretty good looking on the stream. It is perfectly reasonable that it doesn't look as good in person, as demonstrated by the screens here. No contradiction there.

DCharlie

Banned

well, in truth the screens above seem to look much worse than it does in motion (at least when i play it) i guess individual frame grabs may reduce some of the effects that make the game look a fair bit better in motion?

it's a moot argument - the game should be hitting 60fps and should look a bit better than it does. It's still all the fun of ridge, just ... no content. Disappointing all round, probably needed another 6 months or so to full bake :/

gkryhewy

Ridge looks great to me, mostly because RR6 is maybe my favorite game ever. Might buy a Vita just for this, DLC and all.

Thanks for posting the screens!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
i guess individual frame grabs may reduce some of the effects that make the game look a fair bit better in motion?
Any chance you could snap a photo (with a proper cam - no phones) and a screengrab of the same scene?
I'm just wondering if we could validate my upscaling theory with two side by side (if photo was sufficiently high quality).

jett

D-Member
You know, Ridge has it's problems but the screenshots do the game no justice whatsoever (30fps aside and all that)

Seems like RR is also sub-QHD, on top of being 30fps. Namco fail.

This resolution thing is looking like a widespread epidemic :|

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Seems like RR is also sub-QHD, on top of being 30fps. Namco fail.

This resolution thing is looking like a widespread epidemic :|

Well, just accept it. Developers have to juggle finite resources, and this is what they chose to do. Would it be better to have higher res? Of course, that is not even up for argument, but the Vita cannot do that without other compromises. But is it really a problem? The Vita is plenty capable, and it is already the most capable dedicated handheld gaming machine. It's closes competition isn't even close hardware wise, couldn't ask for much more than that.

DCharlie

Banned
Tied up for next hour or so - will try getting an actual photo later

Re: upscaled games. I've moaned about them already but i seem to have got used to it. No excuses for the machine , it's disappointing, but not
End of world stuff.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's not a problem unless you want to make it into one. As I said yesterday, if it's playable then good. Not that I want rough frame rates. I deal with it on PC when I turn up details and start modding games so it should be no different here.

Thanks for all the caps DC. Much appreciated.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What a shame. Sub-QHD, 30FPS, almost no content...they should be ashamed.

Sub QHD, 30fps I can live with. After all, games are meant to be fun, and I am perfectly okay with fun games that don't look amazing. But the three tracks is just really a slap in the face.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
What a shame. Sub-QHD, 30FPS, almost no content...they should be ashamed.

That's the real shame. And the fact that they could launch a RR with PSP with 60fps and good content makes it worse.

It's nice to see some games don't have that watermark.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ridge sounds like it had 6 months of development at a studio that had never made games before.

To me it looks pretty good. I know I'm going to buy it, so I'll just shut up and hope they do more optimization for February.

Uncharted looks great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So in addition to demo-content and 30FPS(?), it's also low-res (not sure if there's any AA either). I thought after 3DS version they couldn't go any lower...

I'm just being jaded because the awesomeness of PSP games is forever lost to this series.

On a related note - it really does feel like screenshot utility is actually doing its own version of (shitty) upscaling, making the captures in fact look worse then Vita screen beyond DPI differences.
I'm playing the 3DS version right now (it's beside me at the moment) and this is in no way "lower". The 3DS version is extremely ugly in comparison and has the same performance issues. It's just a shame BOTH games fail to make use of the hardware.

Well, just accept it. Developers have to juggle finite resources, and this is what they chose to do. Would it be better to have higher res? Of course, that is not even up for argument, but the Vita cannot do that without other compromises. But is it really a problem? The Vita is plenty capable, and it is already the most capable dedicated handheld gaming machine. It's closes competition isn't even close hardware wise, couldn't ask for much more than that.

It can, esp. since RR for PSP was running at 60FPS. 8-4 talked about RR a lot, the game really seemed rushed just to meet the launch day, it should've been given at least another 6 months. They also talk about the game being unfinished, and the whole "pay for DLC tracks later" is just a scam to hide the fact they simply DO NOT have other tracks and cars created yet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It can, esp. since RR for PSP was running at 60FPS. 8-4 talked about RR a lot, the game really seemed rushed just to meet the launch day, it should've been given at least another 6 months. They also talk about the game being unfinished, and the whole "pay for DLC tracks later" is just a scam to hide the fact they simply DO NOT have other tracks and cars created yet.
It's kind of a shame that they insist on rushing these games out every time. In the past, they were actually able to deliver (Ridge Racer V and the PSP game), but since the 360 was launched they haven't delivered everything they could have. The series deserves more and it has never been more clear.

The 3DS and now Vita titles appear to be hacked together ports of older versions of the game.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm playing the 3DS version right now (it's beside me at the moment) and this is in no way "lower". The 3DS version is extremely ugly in comparison and has the same performance issues. It's just a shame BOTH games fail to make use of the hardware.

They both perform and look terrible, but only one has the same amount of content as a freemium game :O

Rolf NB

That looks like 3 separate PCBs that are in basically the same layer. Why would you do that?

I think the question is though, why would you want to? If it's all on the same level it's always going to be cheaper to produce one PCB than multiple smaller ones.
Because you want different properties on different PCBs? The outside ones hold the inputs, so they need to be physically sturdy and stiff. The inner one OTOH isn't exposed to pressure. It can be made thinner, but it may also have more trace layers to enable more complex tech-know-la-gee whiz-bang.

wabo

Banned

If button are damaged you can easily replace them without changing the whole MB.

What I'm looking is the missing PCI-e for the wi-fi...

vita_003.jpg

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Uncharted - a game that started off a bit "wughh :/" but has picked up. Seems to be a lot more expore-y so far (still early) which i know a few people were asking for. Graphically seems to pick up too :

Unch1.jpg

Unch2.jpg

Unch3.jpg

Unch4.jpg

Unch5.jpg

Unch6.jpg

Unch7.jpg

Unch8.jpg

Shot 2 is WALL GUY for VITA! ;)

And obligatory awful innuendo text :/

WOW!

Impressive.

Looks like a 360/PS3 game, but at a lower resolution of course.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
I'm playing the 3DS version right now (it's beside me at the moment) and this is in no way "lower".
I didn't meant in direct comparison (3ds version looked weak even next to PSP games) - but at least 3DS version shipped with proper content.
I totally agree with you it's sad treatment these games get though - R5 and RRs were also rushed back then, not sure if they just got lucky or had more people to throw at the deadlines...

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Even different "desktops" can have different backgrounds. That was a nice touch. EDIT: Colour AND picture

Uncharted in "sub HD" :(

It's not that surprising though, this game was too ambitious for a launch game, and it's not made by Naughty Dog. 99,99999999999999999999999999999% of today's werstern devs don't seem to give a shit about IQ these days. I hope it doesn't run like shit too.

Top Bottom