• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Screenshots | OS Level Captures

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Typical Sony. Have cool feature but leave it up the dev if it's usable in game. Didn't work out with the screenshot feature on the ps3, didn't work out for custom soundtracks and it certainly won't work out with this feature on Vita.

It sounds like they have to actively block it to disallow it.

Typical Sony. Have cool feature but leave it up the dev if it's usable in game. Didn't work out with the screenshot feature on the ps3, didn't work out for custom soundtracks and it certainly won't work out with this feature on Vita.

Well the difference here is that devs have to disable it themselves. On the PS3 it was the other way, they had to make the game support it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I am not sure I buy the spoiler argument in Marvel vs. Capcom 3

That's what I said, plus spoilers can be subjective. What a developer considers a spoiler may not really be a spoiler. Even so, we can still take a picture with a camera if they disallow it.

snap0212

It sounds like they have to actively block it to disallow it.
I don't think that's important. It's a feature that Sony introduced and just like custom soundtracks on the PS3, just like the screenshot function on the PS3, they give the developer / publisher the chance to simply not support it – I don't think it's important wether they have to actively do something or not.

The idea „let publisher decide“ is a huge problem of Sony this generation. It's the reason content on the PAL PSN gets delayed constantly, it's the reason why we don't have a lot of demos for PSN games, it's the reason some of PS3's features are nothing but laughable (custom soundtrack, video recording, screenshot feature) and I want Sony to finally acknoledge that what's good for the publisher isn't necessarily the best thing for your customers. Microsoft has very strict rules about everything but that's partly the reason why everything on the Xbox 360 seems to work so seemlessly.

That's what I said, plus spoilers can be subjective. What a developer considers a spoiler may not really be a spoiler. Even so, we can still take a picture with a camera if they disallow it.
Time to create a YouTube channel filled with videos of the parts of games publisher won't let you take you screenshots of. :D

Dwayne

I don't think that's important. It's a feature that Sony introduced and just like custom soundtracks on the PS3, just like the screenshot function on the PS3, they give the developer / publisher the chance to simply not support it – I don't think it's important wether they have to actively do something or not.

The difference is custom soundtracks and the screenshot feature uses extra resources (CPU time, RAM), while I assume the screenshot feature on Vita doesn't (hence it being on by default, and the PS3 features being off).

So what? 360/PS3 games "fool" you into thinking it looks better than it actually does, but in the end what matters are results.

I am still not getting what people have to complain about with Vita's graphics, its the most graphically impressive portable to date, and this is just the launch games I can't wait to see what devs can do 3 yrs in.

Are they all jpegs so far? Out of the PS3 games with screenshots that I've tried (not just by the XMB but in stuff like Uncharted 2 and DC Universe too) MAG has turned out the best because it was in PNG format. Everything else has terrible jpg compression.

I am not sure I buy the spoiler argument in Marvel vs. Capcom 3
It's probably just Capcom being dicks.

G_Berry

Banned
I am still not getting what people have to complain about with Vita's graphics, its the most graphically impressive portable to date, and this is just the launch games I can't wait to see what devs can do 3 yrs in.

3 years is a long time. Imagine how powerful the tablets / smartphones will be by then.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh snap, Morgan Haro just jumped into my Twitter conversation, basically agreeing with me that it should have no restrictions:

"@MorganHaro
@yosp @wario64 Spoilers are available at YouTube and everywhere else. hope to see system wide screenshots in an update."

3 years is a long time. Imagine how powerful the tablets / smartphones will be by then.
Specs won't make a difference for smartphones/tablets as long as only a few developers (ex. Epic, Rockstar, EA) bother to utilize all that extra power.

The race to the bottom app pricing scheme that both consumers and publishers have encouraged effectively ensures that no smartphone game will ever have the budget of something like Uncharted. So even if you have PS3-level hardware, you'll still be stuck with Angry Birds as your top seller and the face of your gaming catalog.

snap0212

Oh snap, Morgan Haro just jumped into my Twitter conversation, basically agreeing with me that it should have no restrictions:

"@MorganHaro
@yosp @wario64 Spoilers are available at YouTube and everywhere else. hope to see system wide screenshots in an update."
Now that's interesting. :eek:

Portugeezer

Gold Member

Exactly. Complaining about resolution, jaggies, etc on a handheld? WTF!

Vamphuntr

Why am I not suprised that Capcom blocked the snapshot feature? It's like they have a mission to screw their customers every single time. Extra 10$ for our 3DS game, restrictive online only DRM on PSN games, only 1 save file and that cannot be wiped/cleared on RE Mercs.

Can't wait to see what they will come up with next time.

DCharlie

Banned
What spoilers could there be in the -intro- and -title screen- of Mahjong FC? seems odd.

Disgaea spoilers? people on grid die? Prinny explodes?

and Good People Die demo?

loaded up onto Vita - off to work so likely 12 hours before i can upload but can post how it is, along with Little Deviants or whatever it's called. And AR Tank thing.

If I get gome from work before DCharlie, I'll put up some pics from the Good People Die demo.

Also, this looks like a PS1 game? Damn. I didn't realize the PS1 looked so great, even back then!

spwolf

you will probably be able to get on-par phone by then, at some crazy unlocked price or 24month contract + $300... and PS Vita will be probably less than $150 by then... so it is actually pretty good...

Dont forget it is not about quad core, or battery life or 5" oled... it is also about direct access to the hardware vs some java vm.

Personally, with 3GS, DS, PSP, upcoming SGII or 4s and Ipad, I am really maxing out with my devices... so I am not customer looking at it. They may sway me if they make it proper tablet - with apps. Maybe.

Smartphones can get advanced as they ilke, they still won't have the standard of games the Vita or 3DS will. Also, who wants to play something like Uncharted with touchscreen controls? Nobody, that's who.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Faf, here's the pic from a cam at an -okay- size (below)
Thanks - I guess my theory was wrong, they look about the same.
But also looks like there's AA in Ridge after all, looking at the bigger camera shot.

DCharlie

Banned
Tried the Good People Die demo. Interesting idea - need to spend more time with it. Just tried the "escape" portion rather than the novel. Looks a bit
Ordinary graphically but still fine

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope so, the best thing about the Vita trophies will be screenshot-ing them to show everyone on Twitter that I Platinum'd them

motivator278501.jpg

Raonak

Banned
Specs won't make a difference for smartphones/tablets as long as only a few developers (ex. Epic, Rockstar, EA) bother to utilize all that extra power.

Also, the biggest problem with smartphone games. Touch only controls (save for a few phones such as the xperia play, but we all know how good that sold)

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
can you take photos in the trophy app and/or the bubble menu? :p

Yes you can, both bubble menu and trophys. There is also automatic categorizing of the photos somehow, so you can easily find all of your ePenis shots from Trophy -folder.

Edit:
AhBEN3VCEAA_Uvt.jpg

AhBEG1wCIAI27RE.jpg

AhBE0yaCQAI9Efa.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Tried the Good People Die demo. Interesting idea - need to spend more time with it. Just tried the "escape" portion rather than the novel. Looks a bit
Ordinary graphically but still fine

Is there a 3DS demo yet?

I'm wondering if the 3D is going to give it an edge, since the game isn't pushing either technology.

Random question but does the game language change based on OS language? I mean if i buy a korean system with a japanese Uncharted, can i still play it in english?

Top Bottom