• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita TV Already Sold Out on Amazon Japan

qko

Was thinking of getting a PS4 in the launch period, but this has me a little bit more interested. I think I'll wait and see how this VitaTV pans out.

beast786

My concern is for consumer point this product really has no personal identity . it seem more of accessory than a console.

Early PS4 success is because its identity is as a gaming console. It plays vita games , but not all of them. It remote play ps4 games but not all of them. It play PSP games but on TV and you have to DS3.

There is no definite thing it does best. ill buy one to bringing my ps4 to other TV set.

I wonder if this will make devs ignore touch controls in future Vita titles to insure compatibility between devices.

If someone wants to play a touch-required game bad enough they could grab a DualShock 4.

My concern is for consumer point this product really has no personal identity . it seem more of accessory than a console.

Early PS4 success is because its identity is as a gaming console. It plays vita games , but not all of them. It remote play ps4 games but not all of them. It play PSP games but on TV and you have to DS3.

There is no definite thing it does best. ill buy one to bringing my ps4 to other TV set.

The only VIta and PS4 games it doesn't play are the ones that require touch controls. And that may be a non-issue once PS4 launches since it may support these games through use of the DS4 pad.

I think the Vita support will finally skyrocket now. I'm happy about this. This means that the Vita now will gain the userbase that can't be ignored to some point. Even though I believe this to be kind of cheap and chessy, it shows that Sony can play with Nintendo and find another way to gain user base without making another model for even way less than the price. I went from hating this to now loving this.

molnizzle

Who gives a fuck, it increases the Vita's install base and helps us get more games brought to the platform. Everybody wins!

Spiegel

Almost any new gaming-related thing sells out in the first few days when it's put for preorder on amazon.jp.

This means nothing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am shocked at how well this thing has been recieved. Not really appealing to me but it seems like it was a good move, at least in Japan.

beast786

If someone wants to play a touch-required game bad enough they could grab a DualShock 4.

The only VIta and PS4 games it doesn't play are the ones that require touch controls. And that may be a non-issue once PS4 launches since it may support these games through use of the DS4 pad.

but it is an issue. we call it vita tv and as of right now it doesn't even play all vita games? you don't think it's confusing to main stream avg gamer?

Who gives a fuck, it increases the Vita's install base and helps us get more games brought to the platform. Everybody wins!

Because I don't see this helping install base at all. it's a niche hardware

Sold out in a day makes me think the supply is small. Most likely Sony is testing the waters here to see how well it catches on and its reception after its released to see if they want to expand to other territories.

Almost any new gaming-related thing sells out in the first few days when it's put for preorder on amazon.jp.

This means nothing.

Not the 2DS.

Sold out in a day makes me think the supply is small. Most likely Sony is testing the waters here to see how well it catches on and its reception after its released to see if they want to expand to other territories.

Well, it did make it in the Top 10 on Amazon so it would, at least, be several thousands.

Agreed and that's primarily why I wish it success.

But it feels like people will be purchasing this as an accessory to the PS4 which means it might not necessarily lead to Vita software sales. And gave devs have already shifted their attention to nextgen platforms while also creating games for the current gen. How they can make some time, space and free up some money for a decent AAA Vita game is beyond me.

$100 is a brilliant move. But I want to see some Sony marketing muscle behind this.

I don't think the amount of ps4 owners who need a second ps4 in the same house is that great.

I think Vita TV will appeal to people who want a cheap console with lots of cheap games. The kind of people who were buying ps2 years after this gen started. And despite its lack of "AAA" dev support, the Vita still gets the annual sports games, right? Those are actually the big sellers in that market.

but it is an issue. we call it vita tv and as of right now it doesn't even play all vita games? you don't think it's confusing to main stream avg gamer?

Compatibility issues will be largely sorted out between DS4 compatibility and game patches.

I don't think this device will be pushed as a "console" but more as what you're stating as an accessory. It's priced perfectly as a companion device for your PS4 and I bet a lot of people will buy it.

Omikaru

I wonder if this will make devs ignore touch controls in future Vita titles to insure compatibility between devices.

I think some touch things may be optional, with an alternative button prompt that does the same thing, but a lot of stuff will work just fine on the DS4 controller since that has a front-facing touch pad.

As for rear touch, that can RIP.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
One bad thing, depending on how you feel about this stuff, is if this thing becomes huge then you can probably say goodbye to future Vita games using more functions than what's found on a DS3. I think devs not using this stuff is far more likely than them coding in alternate control schemes.

Kind of like 3D with 3DS then......

Because I don't see this helping install base at all. it's a niche hardware

If even one quarter, heck 1/5th of an existing PS3 owners buy this, that's 15-20 million potential sales. Let's exclude the existing 5 million Vita owners, that's 10 million.

Vita is simply not doing well at the moment, it can only improve with VitaTV. How much improvement, we don't know, and honestly, I kind of give zero fucks about it. 3DS has a healthy install base, and it has done nothing to attract 3rd-party western devs to develop for it.

I just need Vita to be healthy enough in Japan that the major 3rd-party devs in Japan will support the Vita as much as they do the 3DS. That's all I need.

I bet Sony is wishing they never pushed these touch controls or camera gimmicks. They could have had 100% compatibility on day one with just a DS3.

They should be glad that the 3rd-party developers barely gave a shit about touch/camera gimmicks, thus allowing for a very good day-1 compatability as it is.

A large majority of the non-compatible games are Sony's own first-party offerings.

kswiston

I don't think the amount of ps4 owners who need a second ps4 in the same house is that great.

I think Vita TV will appeal to people who want a cheap console with lots of cheap games. The kind of people who were buying ps2 years after this gen started. And despite its lack of "AAA" dev support, the Vita still gets the annual sports games, right? Those are actually the big sellers in that market.

Also, if this runs all Vita apps, it would be a reasonably cheap Netflix/music streaming box for those who don't have smart tvs or bluray players capable of doing the same thing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eh, including 3D won't alienate any of the user base while designing around touch controls could (potentially).

They'd have been stupid to not have a touch screen, but the rear touch pad makes no sense.

They will play it smart and just support both so most games will likely be compatible except those specifically designed to use touch exclusively.

Apath

They will play it smart and just support both so most games will likely be compatible except those specifically designed to use touch exclusively.
I'm not saying it will be a big issue. I just didn't think it was quite the same as the 3D effect on the 3DS.

Tripon

I can see why this is selling nicely. For one thing, this is pretty much the first microconsole for the east. OUYA and other microconsoles haven't really targeted and released in the east yet, so Sony really does have this market to themselves. It also allows a Sony fan to get something from Sony without thinking hard at the price. At 100, this is very much an impulse buy.

If and when it does come here, I'll have to look into it and see what games I can play on it. But this will likely be my home console in my room.

SmokyDave

Compatibility issues will be largely sorted out between DS4 compatibility and game patches.
Um, nope. It gets FIFA, and that's it.

iOS gets better sports game support than the Vita.

BadWolf

Yes it does, its a consolized version of Vita. Nothing more, nothing less.

Want a portable? Get Vita.

Want to play Vita games on TV? Get a VitaTV.

They are both Vitas.

Lasdrub

Alright, Sony. Release it in the US with a wireless controller for the TV stuff, external hard drive support, and 1080p. Why not sell a crap ton more?

beast786

Yes it does, its a consolized version of Vita. Nothing more, nothing less.

Want a portable? Get Vita.

Want to play Vita games on TV? Get a VitaTV.

They are both Vitas.

Would it play U:GA on my vita tv? Does it have a camera functionality and touch feature to play all vita game on tv?

beast786

You really think Sony is not going to make their biggest first party games playable? There will be a solution.

U:GA is not the only game Assasian creed had camera function and many other have touch function. it's just not about button mapping but making changes to the games.

I am looking forward to see what there solution would be for this. but as of right now its jack of few and master of none.(except for RP my ps4 to another tv aka sling box)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
you know...
i hope this isnt a japan only thing. cos this thing is awesome.
right down to the look of it, it looks cool.

If you watch the advert you'll see a typical Western male married to a Japanese woman, and when the three teenagers walk in there are 2 Western guys and one Japanese guy. I hardly think they'd advertise it that way if it wasn't going to release in the West.

U:GA is not the only game Assasian creed had camera function and many other have touch function. it's just not about button mapping but making changes to the games.

I am looking forward to see what there solution would be for this. but as of right now its jack of few and master of none.(except for RP my ps4 to another tv aka sling box)

isn't patches basically making changes to the game?

molnizzle

If you watch the advert you'll see a typical Western male married to a Japanese woman, and when the three teenagers walk in there are 2 Western guys and one Japanese guy. I hardly think they'd advertise it that way if it wasn't going to release in the West.

The press release said Fall 2013 in Japan, other regions to follow. It's pretty much a lock for at least the U.S. and Europe.

Top Bottom