• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita = TWO HUNDRED FORTY NINE US DOLLARS ($249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nix

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Nice writeup :D I just pray for a Dark Souls port. I hope they don't delay vital games like they did for move (Sorcery), it's just criminal to do that. Btw how is the touch screen? Responsive? Or did you find a slight delay?

Who are you, and why are you in my wishlist? -_O

Nice uncharted write up. I really feel like picking it up day 1, and while I'm at it, I might just pick up Uncharted 3 (I wasn't planning on getting either). I wonder what fighters are being developed for the system.

Nix said:
Who are you, and why are you in my wishlist? -_O

Nice uncharted write up. I really feel like picking it up day 1, and while I'm at it, I might just pick up Uncharted 3 (I wasn't planning on getting either). I wonder what fighters are being developed for the system.

We know Street Fighter x Tekken, Blazblue should be out in the launch window so I say Q1 2012 and I'm sure MK was pseudo confirmed.

Suzzopher

DiscoJer said:
Just about every time the PSP got a high profile game announced, people would say "Time to get the PSP out of the drawer" or something to that effect.

Sony needs to solve that problem. Games with compelling multiplayer is one way to do it.

Surely the best way to solve that is keep supplying content to the end user? Music, movies, comics, apps, games, DLC just keep em coming.

The problem with PSP was Sony leaving it to die when PS3 launched for two years. Sony only really rallied support in 2008 when it was already dead outside of Japan.

Keep feeding the consumer and they won't put it down. XBLA makes more money than PSN because they have continuous support either by XBIG or XBLA each week. PSN isn't even guaranteed to bring you a mini a week.

dreamahm

Banned
I think first PSP die because of many causes

1-Many PS one Ports.

2-Pirates.

3-start up price & UMD.

-------------

For Vita to avoid failing.

1- should get more project from 3rd party.

2- no more ports from ps2&3.

3-game price & Handheld price especially after 3ds price cut.

4-Try to get Monster Hunter before 3DS make exclusive forever.

One thing I was thinking of..might be kinda weird...

For me personally, I wish the analog sticks could recess/depress back into the unit, giving it a flat surface. It would make it feel more multi-functional instead of completely game oriented

Mikeside

MikeE21286 said:
One thing I was thinking of..might be kinda weird...

For me personally, I wish the analog sticks could recess/depress back into the unit, giving it a flat surface. It would make it feel more multi-functional instead of completely game oriented

I've been thinking this too - would be much better for taking it out and about without a weird, bulky case

kitch9

Banned
Krev said:
Uh...it's more like PS3 RAM: 256 MB, PSV RAM: 256 MB.
PS3 has 256 MB of VRAM, Vita has 128. So, you could say 'PS3 RAM: 512 MB, PSV RAM: 384 MB'. Less VRAM makes sense considering games will be running at lower resolutions.
Still, these specs are unconfirmed for now.

Especially with ram prices dropping through the floor at the moment.

mug

dreamahm said:
I think first PSP die because of many causes

1-Many PS one Ports.

2-Pirates.

3-start up price & UMD.

-------------

For Vita to avoid failing.

1- should get more project from 3rd party.

2- no more ports from ps2&3.

3-game price & Handheld price especially after 3ds price cut.

4-Try to get Monster Hunter before 3DS make exclusive forever.
The PSP was definitely not a failure.

mug

H_Prestige said:
What did it succeed in besides gaining a strong foothold in Japan and earning a little short-term revenue?
It challenged Nintendo's dominance and making a foothold in the Japanese market is an excellent start for a new product. Oh, and the claw thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
H_Prestige said:
What did it succeed in besides gaining a strong foothold in Japan and earning a little short-term revenue?
It succeeded in selling millions upon millions of units and getting many great games :)

EDIT: Why "discount" the success in Japan by the way? That is is similar to "discount" the Xbox 360 success in USA. And how much revenue have Sony made on the PSP so far?

Pimpbaa said:
Hoping it doesn't drain as fast as the PSP when it is off. Also hope they have a cradle.

That's one thing I'm afraid of. The more power and features it has the more battery it drains and usuable implemented battery tech hasn't changed much over the years. There's a limit to how much power you can push out and have reasonable battery life unless battery tech gets developed and actually used.

Famassu

H_Prestige said:
Being the most successful handheld against Nintendo ever? Plus it offers a game library very much comparable to DS, in some ways perhaps even exceeding it.

KAL2006

Banned
Ono just confirmed Vita version of SFxT will come later after the PS3/360 version due to it being new hardware, and they started on it later, and don't want to rush it out as a substandard product.

KAL2006 said:
Ono just confirmed Vita version of SFxT will come later after the PS3/360 version due to it being new hardware, and they started on it later, and don't want to rush it out as a substandard product.

Hmm. I'm debating on whether or not just to hold for the Vita version. I wonder how well it will control.

I'm not up to $75 down on my Vita. Can't wait.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
So is there a launch date yet?

it is supposed to be released somewhere this year right?

Nothing official.

We're starting to get hints of an Oct. 28th launch in Europe. Maybe a first week of November launc in NA? It's really hard to tell. *shrugs*

FoxSpirit

FTH said:
I can't believe people put handhelds in their pockets. Bags?

Backpack. Never without.
Unless I had cargo pants, where to put my cell so it won't fall out 100% ?? So I always have ample means of transportation.

Oh yeah, if you go to gamescom, take some classy headphones with you. I want a Vita audio report ;-)

Famassu said:
Being the most successful handheld against Nintendo ever? Plus it offers a game library very much comparable to DS, in some ways perhaps even exceeding it.
Marketshare was not all that far from off from Game Gear in the early 1990s. People like to use the 120m Game Boy figure, but the OG model only sold about 30m iirc (to GG's 12m, counting only the Sega units). It was later with the Pocket (40m) and Color (50m) that Game Boy really ran up it's insane hardware total, over more than a decade and most of it while GG was well out of the picture at Sega's own poor decision making.

Besides, "most successful" is relative to the market. I mean, we can just as easily say Nintendo's most successful handheld ever was the one they put up against a PlayStation that launched when Sony was seen invincible, and roughly a generation ahead in performance... what does that say?

Famassu

No other non-Nintendo handheld has sold as many units as PSP has or been around as long as PSP has. Even if the relative market share for other handhelds has been close to being the same, none of them has sold 70+ million units. PSP is also successful in how much support it has garnered from publishers (a lot if Japanese, but support nonetheless). No other non-Nintendo handheld has gotteh the number of great games PSP has, I'd even say PSP has a much better game library than GameBoy & GameBoy Advance.

PSP is, in no definition of the word, a failure. Not being #1 != a failure. It's pretty much only because DS was SO successful (the most successful handheld ever, by a large margin) that PSP is sometimes not considered as much of a success as it really is. Had DS been of a more "normal" level of success, PSP wouldn't be so far behind in sales, but it just blows everything out of the water thanks to Brain Training, Nintendogs etc. bringing so many casuals to the device.

Besides, "most successful" is relative to the market. I mean, we can just as easily say Nintendo's most successful handheld ever was the one they put up against a PlayStation that launched when Sony was seen invincible, and roughly a generation ahead in performance... what does that say?
when comparing same generation handhelds, Nintendo vs. others, PSP is by far the most successful. Speaking about relativity would be incredibly stupid when even the closest second to PSP has sold, like, 1/6th of the numbers PSP has. And the difference is even bigger when taking the less successful ones (NGage, NeoGeo Pocket etc. sold in the millions, not even tens of millions).

PSP is the most successful handheld against a Nintendo handheld in every possible way. Fact.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
lunchwithyuzo said:
Marketshare was not all that far from off from Game Gear in the early 1990s. People like to use the 120m Game Boy figure, but the OG model only sold about 30m iirc (to GG's 12m, counting only the Sega units). It was later with the Pocket (40m) and Color (50m) that Game Boy really ran up it's insane hardware total, over more than a decade and most of it while GG was well out of the picture at Sega's own poor decision making.

It says the PSP wasn't a failure.

test_account

XP-39C²
lunchwithyuzo said:

I think that it is fair to discount the Gameboy Color since it was a system of it's own, but the Gameboy Pocket has the same internal as the original Gameboy, so i'd count that more as a "DS Lite" in comparison.

Famassu said:
No other non-Nintendo handheld has sold as many units as PSP has or been around as long as PSP has. Even if the relative market share for other handhelds has been close to being the same, none of them has sold 70+ million units. PSP is also successful in how much support it has garnered from publishers (a lot if Japanese, but support nonetheless). No other non-Nintendo handheld has gotteh the number of great games PSP has, I'd even say PSP has a much better game library than GameBoy & GameBoy Advance.

PSP is, in no definition of the word, a failure. Not being #1 != a failure.

when comparing same generation handhelds, Nintendo vs. others, PSP is by far the most successful. Speaking about relativity would be incredibly stupid when even the closest second to PSP has sold, like, 1/6th of the numbers PSP has. And the difference is even bigger when taking the less successful ones (NGage, NeoGeo Pocket etc. sold in the millions, not even tens of millions).

PSP is the most successful handheld against a Nintendo handheld in every possible way. Fact.
I'm not saying PSP's a failure (though cases can be made there too software wise in some western markets), I'm saying that having a successful handheld in the face of the Nintendo juggernaut isn't something that hasn't ever happened before PSP. That's all. PSP has an incredibly impressive library and had fantastic support too, I'm not saying otherwise.

And this doesn't really refute my other point: Nintendo's most successful handheld ever, in fact the most successful handheld ever period, is the one that went up against PSP. Saying PSP sold six times more than Game Gear, without also mentioning that DS sold six times as much as the OG Game Boy, isn't really putting things in context when talking "most successful handheld against Nintendo ever".

NateDrake

mckmas8808 said:
It says the PSP wasn't a failure.
It wasn't a success either. Software sales were horrendous for the PSP and was a complete failure for pubs/devs outside of a few select Japanese releases. The PSP sold as well as it did thanks to it being hacked and giving people the chance to pirate games with ease.

Famassu

lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm not saying PSP's a failure (though cases can be made there too software wise in some western markets), I'm saying that having a successful handheld in the face of the Nintendo juggernaut isn't something that hasn't ever happened before PSP. That's all. PSP has an incredibly impressive library and had fantastic support too, I'm not saying otherwise.

And this doesn't really refute my other point: Nintendo's most successful handheld ever, in fact the most successful handheld ever period, is the one that went up against PSP. Saying PSP sold six times more than Game Gear, without also mentioning that DS sold six times as much as the OG Game Boy, isn't really putting things in context when talking "most successful handheld against Nintendo ever".
First of all, why are you separating OG GameBoy's sales from other models? GameBoy is GameBoy, it and the minimal improvements to it sold over 100 million units. Also, I edited a part into my post that you didn't see:

"It's pretty much only because DS was SO successful (the most successful handheld ever, by a large margin) that PSP is sometimes not considered as much of a success as it really is. Had DS been of a more "normal" level of success, PSP wouldn't be so far behind in sales, but it just blows everything out of the water thanks to Brain Training, Nintendogs etc. bringing so many casuals to the device."

You talk about relativity of success, but you have to take the "unnaturally big" success of DS into account.

test_account said:
I think that it is fair to discount the Gameboy Color since it was a system of it's own, but the Gameboy Pocket has the same internal as the original Gameboy, so i'd count that more as a "DS Lite" in comparison.
The Pocket came out in 1996 though and rode the Pokemon wave, after Sega had publicly killed the GG and after VB had imploded for Nintendo. It's almost a separate lifecycle from the GB vs GG days of 1990-1995, and really a case of Nintendo reviving a platform that had basically already wrapped up. GG also could've sold a whole lot more if Sega hadn't been so dead set on killing it to refocus on Saturn (same for MD/Genesis). Nintendo's handling of GB/SNES after 1995 really put them to shame.

test_account

XP-39C²
lunchwithyuzo said:
The Pocket came out in 1996 though and rode the Pokemon wave, after Sega had publicly killed the GG and after VB had imploded for Nintendo. It's almost a separate lifecycle from the GB vs GG days of 1990-1995, and really a case of Nintendo reviving a platform that had basically already wrapped up. GG also could've sold a whole lot more if Sega hadn't been so dead set on killing it to refocus on Saturn (same for MD/Genesis). Nintendo's handling of GB/SNES after 1995 really put them to shame.
That is fair enough. I just wanted to say that when counting how many units the system has sold, then i would concider the Gameboy Pocket as part of the first Gameboy.

A bit off-topic, but love this Game Gear commercial hehe :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVL3uW9uV4E

test_account said:
That is fair enough. I just wanted to say that when counting how many units the system has sold, then i would concider the Gameboy Pocket as part of the first Gameboy.

A bit off-topic, but love this Game Gear commercial hehe :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVL3uW9uV4E
Yeah, I agree. Cumulatively, GB destroyed GG, but while they were both on shelves GG was still very competitive.

Not to take away from PSP's success either, it's sold a ton.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
NateDrake said:
It wasn't a success either. Software sales were horrendous for the PSP and was a complete failure for pubs/devs outside of a few select Japanese releases. The PSP sold as well as it did thanks to it being hacked and giving people the chance to pirate games with ease.

I'd say it was a light success. Similar to the Xbox.

MightyKAC

Honestly i think vita will outsell the 3ds this time around. Especially since psp is doing so strong in japan, and handhelds are doing so bad in the west.

Funny note about that. When I went to the game shop here in Japan I noticed the price of used 3DS's had also dropped as well. It's something like 12,999 yen for the blue one. Right next to it was a PSP 3000 selling for about 14,000 yen.

I really don't know how I feel about all that.

test_account

XP-39C²
lunchwithyuzo said:
Yeah, I agree. Cumulatively, GB destroyed GG, but while they were both on shelves GG was still very competitive.

Not to take away from PSP's success either, it's sold a ton.
Yeah, that is true :)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly i think vita will outsell the 3ds this time around. Especially since psp is doing so strong in japan, and handhelds are doing so bad in the west.
With third party developers, sure, but with the public? NPD doesn't lie. 386,000 DS units sold in June.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

It's definitely going to be interesting. The thing working against the Vita is that Nintendo, most likely, has the upcoming holiday season to themselves in North America.

I think the bad economy will push people toward the 3DS in the near future because of the $80 less price and the included storage. Eventually, though, when prices even out, Vita could overtake it.

Takao

Banned
3DS is going to outsell Vita worldwide. In Japan it has a shot, but worldwide it's Nintendo.

mckmas8808 said:
I'd say it was a light success. Similar to the Xbox.

Xbox wasn't a success in any definition of the word. Microsoft lost billions, and had a platform that made it difficult for its successor to be released in certain territories. Any reasonable company would've left, but Microsoft has deep pockets.

jeremy1456

You might want to re-phrase that.

All handhelds does not = PSP. The DS has done, and continues to do, amazing in the West.

Spiegel

I can't see the Vita outselling the 3DS in Japan after the recent price drop.
Pokemon + Level 5 + Mario + mass market price + cheapest device in the market makes it very unlikely.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spiegel said:
Pokemon + Level 5 + Mario + mass market price + cheapest device in the market makes it very unlikely.
I'm wondering why Level 5 can't port their stuff to Vita.

jeremy1456

Spiegel said:

I could very well see a multitude of Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors, Final Fantasy, and Nippon Ichi games keeping the 3DS at bay.

Takao

Banned
Spiegel said:

Level-5 will be on Vita. The can bring Inazuma multiplatform, or they'll just carry on with The Little Battlers eXperience.

jeremy1456 said:
I could very well see a multitude of Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors, Final Fantasy, and Nippon Ichi games keeping the 3DS at bay.

One of these things are not like the others ones, not like the other ones...

Krev said:
I'm wondering why Level 5 can't port their stuff to Vita.

If Nintendo don't have a hand in Layton, or provide financing for them, I see no reason why Level-5 shouldn't put a Vita version out. Vita would be an incredible platform for it.

I don't think the Vita will outsell the 3DS, but I am not really sure. The new price for the 3DS makes it look more appealing, but there are things about the Vita for the extra money that also make it quite appealing. It will be pretty cool to see how things go for both companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom