• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, the mechanics in Racket Fury are legit! It feels so good to play. The below gifs are me just messing around in the training section. Look at the 2nd one where you can just put the ball on the paddle, roll it around, tap it, flip the paddle, ect.

It's just a shame that the single player content is so barebones. There's no music in-game and there appears to be one single background and one table (though this might be just b/c I've only done the first series of AI). The AI seems really standard and the enemies in the first championship series seemed to all be the same difficulty.

I really hope they actually do put out the multiplayer update they claimed to be working on. The developer of Holoball lied about making multiplayer on PC and then on PSVR, so I just hope to be pleasantly surprised this time.

tabten01.gif

tabten02.gif

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looks like Budget Cuts is coming to PSVR!

Budget-Cuts-Title-1000x563-o93efjmvhkm2jhn4u4cbnkwnu17iov0dv1pfr9owla.png

Neat Corporation revealed the first ever footage of Budget Cuts running on the PlayStation VR. The developer partnered with UK-based developer Coatsink for the port to PlayStation. Coatsink is one of the few studios with years of experience in mobile VR and PlayStation VR development. The developer released six games on Oculus mobile platforms, one of which was ported to PSVR. The studio also worked with PlayStation 4 for their non-VR title Shu.
Budget Cuts was originally a tech demo for the HTC Vive back in early 2016. It was one of the first VR experiences to integrate a teleportation mechanic into the lore of the game itself. Budget Cuts will launch on PlayStation VR in fall of this year.

Romulus

Full locomotion and large open areas confirmed

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Man this writer makes a very good point.

I’ve seen the future before, the kind that changes the video game world forever. It was when I beta tested Xbox Live in 2001. I knew it was only a matter of time before what was once only a handful of people playing NFL Fever 2003 online would become millions of gamers from around the world connecting over the internet to share experiences and play together everyday. Xbox Live wasn’t the first service to let people play multiplayer games, but it’s the one that broke it open for the console market. PSVR did that for VR when it launched on PS4.

VR is a literal game-changer. It may not be for everyone, but here’s a fun fact: the PS4 is the sixth-highest selling console of all time, and one in 20 owners also have PSVR. That means developers have a better chance of seeing their work get played, and making money off it on PSVR than most VR platforms. And good games require passionate, motivated developers. What does this have to do with PS5? Well, so far Sony‘s keeping mum on the subject. But it feels a bit like when your parents won’t tell you what they’ve gotten you for your birthday, and not so much like the company has nothing to say. We do know that PS5 will support VR, in the form of the existing PSVR headset. This should quell any idea that PSVR 2 will launch with the next console, but that’s not a bad thing. VR hardware is expensive and we’ve reached the point of saturation when it comes to early adopters. The current PSVR headset competes well against the most popular headsets already — knowing it’ll work with PS5 makes it even more worthwhile.

Putting aside the Sony-Microsoft rivalry, PSVR is currently the best option for VR gamers who can’t afford a top-tier PC. And even if you can, only Viveport Infinitybeats it in terms of gaming value. And the only killer feature that Rift and Vive have over PSVR is the ability to go wireless. You can pay top-dollar and get better fidelity, but you’ll still need a massive rig to run it. A massive rig that won’t play MLB: The Show 19 or Everybody’s Golf VR. Judging by Sony‘s commitment to VR, it’s likely that PlayStation is building the PS5 with PSVR firmly in mind. Nobody’s going to be surprised to see a wireless PSVR headset with a modest increase in specs launch on the new console eventually. What is surprising, however, is Microsoft’s seeming lack of interest in the space altogether. In this case, it does feel like the company has nothing to say. It owns Minecraft, for crying outloud, and it debuted the new AR version of it at Apple’s developer conference. Without VR on Xbox, we’re looking at another console cycle where Microsoft can’t come up with enough reasons to convince anyone to jump ship, while Sony uses PSVR to beckon gamers away from the house that Masterchief built. PSVR has always been a good investment for PS4 owners. But Sony‘s commitment to carry it over to the next console generation means more than just an extension of your investment. It means VR has found a home with PlayStation

It goes under the radar how much PSVR gives the PS4 (and the PS5 in the future) extra legs and value. You can literally play games that aren't available without it. The feeling of playing 5 hours worth (over a week's timespan) of a great VR game like Astrobot or Blood in Truth, after playing 50 hours of RDR2 or some other great RPG is a great palate cleanser. Or when there's a 2-3 month drought of games that aren't coming out that you like, you'll always have a handful of good-great PSVR games to play to bridge that gap. It's an amazing value-add.

Just finished Blood and Truth a couple days ago, what a ride from start to finish, the set pieces were amazing throughout this game. I felt they absolutely pushed our current gen headset to the limits visually but what a job they did. The story serves its purpose but its nothing ground breaking, the gameplay is where its at, this should be in everyone's PSVR collection at some point.

I've also just started Vacation Simulator, theres alot more to this one from my first vacation stop on the beach, more activities, plenty of area's within area's, a variety of mini-game type missions. If you liked Job Simulator, you'll like this one too, digital only $39.99 CAD on the PlayStation Store.

mckmas8808

Vacation Simulator Review

Vacation-Simulator-Review-3-1024x573.jpg

POSITIVES
- Unparalleled grasp on interactions in VR
- Largely inventive, fantastic minigames
- Owlchemy's staple humor out in full force

NEGATIVES
- A handful of repetitive, dull memories
- Still feels more tech demo than full experience

Final Score: 8/10 – Great
Ironically, Vacation Simulator feels like a progress report. It’s an encouraging news flash from Owlchemy about where it is with making VR as immersive as possible as we continue to tolerate the shortcomings of other, ‘fuller’ games. But its philosophy of authenticity and intuition above all else is to be praised and preserved. There’s playful fun, immersive wonder and liberating agency all gathered under one roof, here. Vacation Simulator may only be a small step in a wider journey, but it’s one well worth taking.

hboyce1

Neo Member
I recently received motion sickness pills for vertigo. Now that the vertigo has cleared up, I think I can use these things to finally play Borderlands 2 VR. Then again, I might still end up hurling everywhere. That game is unplayable to me.

gifgaf

I recently received motion sickness pills for vertigo. Now that the vertigo has cleared up, I think I can use these things to finally play Borderlands 2 VR. Then again, I might still end up hurling everywhere. That game is unplayable to me.
Good luck, I hope you can overcome it.

Wonko_C

Speaking of Borderlands 2 VR, I was thinking of purchasing it but a few days ago my friends "forced" me to play through the whole non-VR version with them and now I'm not so sure if I want to do it all over again (and alone at that) in VR. I wanted another excuse to use the Aim Controller, dammit

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Speaking of Borderlands 2 VR, I was thinking of purchasing it but a few days ago my friends "forced" me to play through the whole non-VR version with them and now I'm not so sure if I want to do it all over again (and alone at that) in VR. I wanted another excuse to use the Aim Controller, dammit
I'd say it may not be worth it. It's a solid VR port of an older game, so I'll give them credit there, but it does have some funkiness that turned me off. I didn't even think the Aim controls felt very good. I'm sure plenty of others disagree, though.

RavageX

I'd say it may not be worth it. It's a solid VR port of an older game, so I'll give them credit there, but it does have some funkiness that turned me off. I didn't even think the Aim controls felt very good. I'm sure plenty of others disagree, though.

I got it cheap, but if I had to pay full price I probably wouldn't. If you aren't a fan of the series definitely don't. I like it but not a huge fan. I've had fun with it, but it does feel off to me some how.

Wonko_C

I got it cheap, but if I had to pay full price I probably wouldn't. If you aren't a fan of the series definitely don't. I like it but not a huge fan. I've had fun with it, but it does feel off to me some how.

Thanks, I kinda had the itch to burn some money on it but you're right, but you've put my mind at ease.

Free roam spiderman short game. Supposedly it's pretty fun once you get it used to it. Not a full game but it has solid production values and best part....

FREE. Available now. I'm thinking this is something they will build on.

Holy Shit... and here are 35°C, so no chance jumping through my living room 🥵

Romulus

Watched a couple streams for spiderman. It seems even better than I thought. It has a short campaign, free roam, and even a time trials for swinging. The people playing it seemed to really like it, especially considering its free.

marcb

Neo Member
Looks like Budget Cuts is coming to PSVR!

I remember head butting the floor trying to look through a trap door into the room below on the Vive demo years ago. I wonder if they kept that "feature" ?

Still a great game. Not sure how it'll hold up with the PS Move controllers though?

Romulus

Still a great game. Not sure how it'll hold up with the PS Move controllers though?

Who knows, most games now are pretty serviceable though. And I think people who use PSVR frequently have figured out how to get the most out of the Moves.

Holy Shit... and here are 35°C, so no chance jumping through my living room 🥵
Haha I played yesterday infront of my air conditioner, it actually is pretty sweet they really got the mechanics down well for webbing your way through the city, once you get the hang of it and learn to swoop down abit to get the full-spidey-swoop effect. The city looks pretty bare but there are clusters of people, a few cars. There was a boss fight in the story mode, time trials in the free-play mode all pretty decent for a free download and hopefully they do add to it.

Romulus

$20 release, comes out July 2nd. I watched a livestream and the streamer really enjoyed it. RPG/Shooter with a 6 hour campaign.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been playing a lot of Trover recently. Anyone else play that? Its definitely your typical Rick and Morty style humor. Fun game so far but it just kinda makes me more hyped to play Astrobot.

Romulus

“The first thing that’s going to be affected by more power is VR,” says Yamauchi. “I don’t think that there’s anything else that requires that much processing power. I really like VR; I’m one to believe in the possibilities of it, and it’s very suited for a driving game.”

“VR is something that really depends on the evolution of GPU power, and the hardware for it, like display devices even. It’s something where you can never have enough computing power; there’s always going to be that hardware limit, and that limit is never going to be high enough for us! Obviously that’s going to gradually improve over time and we’ll make sure to follow that.”

Sounds like more VR goodness for PS5. Much needed.

mckmas8808

Sounds like more VR goodness for PS5. Much needed.

So basically this is Kaz saying console hardware has gotten to a place that's maxxed out for 2D screens for GT. So the next level is VR. I'm assuming he's going to be all in on PSVR2 then. This is great news.

Romulus

Lots of people saying this game is a top 10 PSVR title. I think it's one of those that really doesn't translate to video well though.

wondermega

Played Spidey (on Vive). It was definitely better than the previous promo. Mechanics were fun, I was surprised that they went for it, doing some actual VR web swinging. Not perfect, but certainly better than I'd expected. The rest of the experience... ehhhh. I'd almost rather not have bothered. I think it's a tease because they've demonstrated that they could do something pretty cool, but there honestly hasn't been any kind of budget/production value put into this. If they spent a little money they could make it look a fair bit nicer (environments), and with some solid design I could see myself happily getting lost in this world. Yes I know it's free, but I'd happily pay good money for a legit campaign building off these mechanics and with some compelling design.. I mean, VR really needs this stuff right now to advance the medium. It's not giving me too much hope for Iron Man, I have to say. I guess we will know more, shortly.

Top Bottom