• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 releasing in early 2023

Amiga

Well yeah, but I do think the spec required for this gen's VR experience will be much higher, just think of those UE5 assets

horizon-call-of-the-mountain-screenshot-boatride-en-31may22

nuff said

SeraphJan

horizon-call-of-the-mountain-screenshot-boatride-en-31may22

nuff said
It might be enough for cross gen, but think of those game that will be releasing later, it will be 3 year for PS5 when PSVR2 release, although I doubt VR game will reach the graphic fidelity of that Matrix demo, but with how much hardware power UE5 consume in general, I believe a Pro is very necessary.

Last edited:

Crayon

It might be enough for cross gen, but think of those game that will be releasing later, it will be 3 year for PS5 when PSVR2 release, although I doubt VR game will reach the graphic fidelity of that Matrix demo, but with how much hardware power UE5 consume in general, I believe a Pro is very necessary.

Psvr games on a regs PS4 can be lower resolution, but there's not much difference otherwise.

Their little horizon demo looked very good. They are working with a 10tf baseline. Some are going to arbitrarily deem the pro necessary but if games look and play great on it, I can't see how.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they launch with Half Life and Boneworks, oh boy. Either way, i have high hopes for this, huge potential. Although why are they making all this announcements on twitter or blog posts, this should be part of a huge conference i feel, same for GoW release date trailer or TLoU Remake announcement, i dont like it this way Sony.

This is mean that ol' Jimbo would be smart. And do we think he's this smart? Of course not! lol

Ozriel

M$FT

Recommended GPU spec for Half life Alyx is a 2070 Super. That’s PS5 tier. Have you even seen how good that game looks? not to mention how much headroom they’ll free up with eye tracking + coding to a defined hardware.

Visuals will NOT be the problem with PSVR 2 for this gen. The concern as always is with budgets since it’s tough to balance the economics for AAA VR games.

They’ll likely solve this by making PSVR 2 PC compatible and porting stuff to PC…so AAA devs can have a better chance at making money.

supernova8

Banned
$399 MSRP but $399999999999999999999 on eBay as soon as the shithead scalpers hoover up all the stock within the first 2 nanoseconds. You know I'm right.

Last edited:

reksveks

Kinda guessed this cause of the FY forecasts but yeah, would be interesting to see the prices especially the JPY, EUR and GBP prices.

2R8fORZ.jpg
kwVZ9in.jpg
xBTkaVx.jpg

SeraphJan

Recommended GPU spec for Half life Alyx is a 2070 Super
If Half life Alyx is what you are expecting for PSVR2 experience, yeah, I would say base PS5 is enough. But I hope with a Pro model release, we could experience visual quality close to that of the Matrix demo (which made by UE5)

For VR it needs to process 2 image at the same time which require more resources, the Matrix runs at only 30 fps on base PS5, but for VR you need around 70-90 to not get motion sicked, ("you could search motion sickness + VR" for better explanation for this problem).

This is why I expected a PS5 Pro model with RDNA 3 (which is nearly double the performance of RDNA 2) combined with temporal method to utilized the full capability of the PSVR2's hardware spec (2,000 x 2,040 per-eye 90-120hz)

Last edited:

yurinka

Kind of concerning for PS5 hardware to keep up the necessary frame rate smooth VR experience. We might need a PRO model later to fully enjoy PSVR2
For VR it needs to process 2 image at the same time which require more resources, the Matrix runs at only 30 fps on base PS5, but for VR you need around 70-90 to not get motion sicked, ("you could search motion sickness + VR" for better explanation for this problem).
Remember that the PSVR1 already had something to "double" the framerate.

So PS5 will only need to output 4K at 45fps/60fps to get 90/120fps games. There won't be any problem with FPS or horsepower, no Pro model will be needed.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Remember that the PSVR1 already had something to "double" the framerate.

So PS5 will only need to output 4K at 45fps/60fps to get 90/120fps games. There won't be any problem with FPS, no Pro model is needed.
If you are talking about ASW, its like temporal does to resolution, its a reprojection technique that does to frame rate, yes it double the frame rate on paper but with caveats, if you enable both Temporal and ASW, 2000 x 2040 x 2 with 90hz is possible on paper but comes with a lots of artifact and other type of issue which we will see once these game releases. Its a good solution but not free. If you are satisfy with these solution you could keep play the base model, but for people who want better experience they will have the choice of a Pro model, I don't understand why more option is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Three

Kinda guessed this cause of the FY forecasts but yeah, would be interesting to see the prices especially the JPY, EUR and GBP prices.

2R8fORZ.jpg
kwVZ9in.jpg
xBTkaVx.jpg
Why would that be interesting? The strength of the USD shouldn't affect prices in those regions, that's not what they will use to price it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you are talking about ASW, its like temporal does to resolution, its a reprojection technique that does to frame rate, yes it double the frame rate on paper but with caveats, if you enable both Temporal and ASW, 2000 x 2040 x 2 with 90hz is possible on paper but comes with a lots of artifact and other type of issue which we will see once these game releases. Its a good solution but not free. If you are satisfy with these solution you could keep play the base model, but for people who want better experience they will have the choice of a Pro model, I don't understand why more option is a bad thing.
One thing they have now, that PSVR1 + PS4 could not have, is eye tracking enabling efficient foveated rendering and we need to realise that even targeting PS4 worlds and complexity with PS5 pixels so to speak (again shading concentrated in key parts of the frame only) is a big jump compared to the PS3 worlds++ which was PSVR1’s early target visuals wise.

A big boost for people will be HDR and the improved perceived resolution and FOV as well as the controllers. I think we are underestimating the baseline shift and diminishing returns going above it as well as how efficient their foveated rendering solution can be IMHO.

reksveks

Why would that be interesting? The strength of the USD shouldn't affect prices in those regions, that's not what they will use to price it.
Imo a part of the Meta re-price was definitely due to the strength of the USD making it even less profitable outside of the US.

Large cost of the unit is going to be in USD so there is a high chance they are going to now use the new conversion rates as a factor to set the price in those regions. If they use the old rates, they are just going to increase the losses on the unit or decrease the profit margin.

The only one that feels like it might look weird to the public is Japan given it has had the biggest change (30%).

Also note: Sony was quite off with their assumed conversion rates in the FY forecasts.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

One thing they have now, that PSVR1 + PS4 could not have, is eye tracking enabling efficient foveated rendering and we need to realise that even targeting PS4 worlds and complexity with PS5 pixels so to speak (again shading concentrated in key parts of the frame only) is a big jump compared to the PS3 worlds++ which was PSVR1’s early target visuals wise.

A big boost for people will be HDR and the improved perceived resolution and FOV as well as the controllers. I think we are underestimating the baseline shift and diminishing returns going above it as well as how efficient their foveated rendering solution can be IMHO.
The only way for us to find out is when these game actually releases, I'm very excited to see what they can bring to the table. Nonetheless if the rumor by various sources are true, then PS5 Pro is probably already in its mid development phase. For me its day one purchase for a Pro model, I wouldn't mind invest money on hardware to have better overall gaming experience that could last me several years. Software is what's actually expensive, games cost adds up over times, if its an expensive hobby anyway, I want the best possible, I guess more options doesn't hurt anyone.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because options are not free to develop and get less and less useful to you as a consumer unless you talk about longer and longer timeframes: semiconductor technology is slowing down and to produce noticeable improvements you need larger and larger increases in performance for each jump (non linear relationship there). Each new semiconductor transition increases manufacturing and design costs a lot too: result is that in order to improve performance significantly you need longer and longer timelines.
Releasing more and more HW every year is not the answer, it is actually the opposite of it.

Developers will not be able to keep up and will support a much lower common sliding baseline and manufacturers will spend more and more of their budgets just designing, manufacturing, and marketing updates which will delay big new HW jumps (which actually need more time and more and more resources you are wasting by releasing new HW designs more frequently).

You look at PC’s with bigger and bigger Power Supplies, more expensive cooling, and higher and higher power consumption, and you see gamer rigs with big cases and advanced cooling. This is not what sells on the console market and it is not what consoles are about at all: users swappable HW, drivers fun, optimising your own game with custom deep configs systems.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The only way for us to find out is when these game actually releases, I'm very excited to see what they can bring to the table. Nonetheless if the rumor by various sources are true, then PS5 Pro is probably already in its mid development phase. For me its day one purchase for a Pro model, I wouldn't mind invest money on hardware to have better overall gaming experience that could last me several years. Software is what's actually expensive, games cost adds up over times, if its an expensive hobby anyway, I want the best possible, I guess more options doesn't hurt anyone.
If PS5 Pro releases it will be like PS4 Pro, a stopgap consoles which will receive small attention by devs with quick and dirty patches / least amount of effort they can get away with. The more HW you ask devs to support the less time they will have to spend optimising for each.

SeraphJan

If PS5 Pro releases it will be like PS4 Pro, a stopgap consoles which will receive small attention by devs with quick and dirty patches / least amount of effort they can get away with. The more HW you ask devs to support the less time they will have to spend optimising for each.
I think the exact opposite, if certain devs decide to put least amount of effort its their choice, but with better hardware enable better scalability, for those devs that do wish to improve, the extra room is there. If there is demand then there is market, PS4 Pro released regardless of all the negative opinion towards it in the past, and it was well received. People have different opinion and demands, I'm always Pro choice. There was a post recently discussing the pro models in a retrospective sense, you could see the vote yourself, the demand was there.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the exact opposite, if certain devs decide to put least amount of effort its their choice, but with better hardware enable better scalability, for those devs that do wish to improve, the extra room is there. If there is demand than there is market, PS4 Pro released regardless of all the negative opinion towards in the past, and it was well received. People have different opinion and demands, I'm always Pro choice. There was a post recent discussing this PS4 pro in a retrospective sense, you could see the vote yourself, the demand was there.
Demand != use, first thing first the jump between PS5 and PS5 Pro (if the price and/or the console size does not go up quite a bit) will be smaller than PS4 and PS4 Pro given the same R&D time and developers will still give it minimal support (the more HW you release the less time is spent on optimising for each, so welcome interns doing quick brute force updates). It is a matter of return on investment and costs: the reason console devs used to optimise the games for the consoles deeply was that it was easy for them to do so (detailed HW docs and low level access) and that the same HW would be available for a long period of time and would be the same HW configuration/specs for all users: the less they can assume that being the case the less it makes sense to spend money optimising for that particular HW configuration.

Demand by consumers can be misleading: people can demand something and something is made to sell to those users, it does not mean that what users were asking for makes sense and that they will get what they thought they would.

People can keep dreaming “if I got a new console HW every year I would get a lot faster consoles and much better games quickly”, but the demand for iterative HW is based on wrong assumptions: sure some capitalist will sell you what you ask them for until you figure out you were asking for unicorns.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

first thing first the jump between PS5 and PS5 Pro (if the price and/or the console size does not go up quite a bit) will be smaller than PS4 and PS4 Pro
That's not true, RDNA3 (or RDNA4 depend on Pro model's release window) is way more powerful than RDNA2
Demand by consumers can be misleading: people can demand something and something is made to sell to those users, it does not mean that what users were asking for makes sense and that they will get what they thought they would.

People can keep dreaming “if I got a new console HW every year I would get a lot faster consoles and much better games quickly”, but the demand for iterative HW is based on wrong assumptions: sure some capitalist will sell you what you ask them for until you figure out you were asking for unicorns.
Look you can have whatever opinion you want, but whatever you say here will not stop people from buying what they want, nor will stop Sony releasing it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's not true, RDNA3 (or RDNA4 depend on Pro model's release window) is way more powerful than RDNA2
Way more powerful? We will see when it is out, we will compare the cost of the card and the power consumption of the card and how costly it is (thus sustainable) for AMD to make it and sell it. Again, you look at consoles and look at keeping the console size small, power consumption being limited by it and the cost of cooling, and price at less than $499… good luck ;).

One constant you can see when you go from 16 nm to 7 nm to 7 nm with EUV litho to 5 nm to 3 nm: design costs on each node grow higher and faster than the performance and density increases grow with each process improvements (and then you have fab costs and capacity on top of manufacturing costs for each chip as we also try for larger and larger silicon wafers). That is the limit to how many transistors you can add, how fast you can lift clock frequency, and your power consumption.

Look at the performance improvements in each design on CPU’s and GPU’s across markets: look at Intel, look at AMD, or look at Apple A and M series CPU’s the YoY performance improvements getting less and less earth shattering every year.

Look you can have whatever opinion you want, but whatever you say here will not stop people from buying what they want, nor will stop Sony releasing it.
People can keep buying snake oils and demand PC like HW releases thinking it will not fundamentally change the console market with the nice cross generation window growing larger and larger while dreaming this would not happen… 🤷‍♂️.

Three

Imo a part of the Meta re-price was definitely due to the strength of the USD making it even less profitable outside of the US.

Large cost of the unit is going to be in USD so there is a high chance they are going to now use the new conversion rates as a factor to set the price in those regions. If they use the old rates, they are just going to increase the losses on the unit or decrease the profit margin.

The only one that feels like it might look weird to the public is Japan given it has had the biggest change (30%).

Also note: Sony was quite off with their assumed conversion rates in the FY forecasts.
That's mainly because it's Meta/Facebook and their costs are USD. Since we are dealing with yen here there will be little difference. The pricing conversion rate is never the same anyway, for example the Quest 2 saw a $100 price hike but in the UK it saw a £100 price hike too. £100 isn't $100 but that was the price hike for both. If dollar strength was the main factor prices in the US shouldn't have even increased but they did.

For this the price won't be affected by the conversion either. It will likely be something like $399/£399 with complete disregard for conversion rate.

It won't be easy with such advanced tech. On the other hand, I don't see them trying a silly price either, $499 would probably be the maximum. Profit margin must be close to zero.
Anyone with some knowledge in the supply chain actually ever made a bill of materials?
Because I don't see any advanced tech in it and wonder why people pretend that it must be expensive, when Quest sold for less, much earlier, with a processor and HW necessary to accompany it.
The eyetracking unit is some dollars, one company making them already wanted those to have been in earlier gen headsets and claimed those were cheap back then. There is no internal processing, no RAM, no Flash memory. Headtracking gyros and cameras cost nothing. Good ear plugs cost pennies, if they are not branded with Beats or some other overpriced shit. No breakout box for an HDMI splitter. No array of cables each some pennies a piece. 4k screens don't cost a fortune anymore either, every Samsung, LG, whatnot phone has HDR and sometimes 120Hz too, which probably is nevertheless the only thing in it that is not trivial in costs. Controllers might increase the price if they go with overpriced like controllers separatly always are. But manufacturing cost of a DS4 are probably around 10-15bucks. See chinese knockoffs with full functionality which sell for 15 incl. worldwide shipping. Dual Sense might cost then 15-20. And two mirrored, autarkic units might then be 30 or 40. I am just guessing, so again I would be very interested to read an article where some supplier gives actual information, how profitable Sony aims to be is another question, but I don't see anything that would make 299 impossible. They might get away with 399, but anything above is sending it to die. Especially if they don't support PC as well. Which has not yet been clarified, or has it?
No one expected the Vita to sell for so little as it sold, even adding rather expensive memory cards, people complained way too much about, it still was a steal and I assume Sony rather want's to try this route again than "get a second job" episode.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm guessing March too. Plenty of time to save some pennies.

reksveks

That's mainly because it's Meta/Facebook and their costs are USD. Since we are dealing with yen here there will be little difference. The pricing conversion rate is never the same anyway, for example the Quest 2 saw a $100 price hike but in the UK it saw a £100 price hike too. £100 isn't $100 but that was the price hike for both. If dollar strength was the main factor prices in the US shouldn't have even increased but they did.

For this the price won't be affected by the conversion either. It will likely be something like $399/£399 with complete disregard for conversion rate.
The cost of the Psvr2 materials won't be in Yen , it will be in USD. I didn't say that it was the main factor but it was a factor.

We shall see on the latter but remember that the PS5 Disc sticker price was $499 (without sales tax)/£449 (with tax). Then you need to account for the taxes where applicable. A sticker price for the PSVR2 of $399/£399 has accounted for the change in the FX rates and other factors.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I want a high production value horror/mystery VR game which requires very little movement.

drezz

I'll finally play alyx and RE8 !!!
Im just hoping the RE4 remake VR edition shits on the Facebook edition.

I must confess, I've never played RE4... So, it will be my first RE4 experience.(I have a Quest 2 and can just buy the Facebook Edition and have a go, but I rather not give zuck any more dollars)

Mahavastu

does this mean due to the PS launcher it will work with pc?
Haven't thought about this, but as I understand the PSVR2 has USB-C connection, so it is more a question about software support.

Would be interesting to see if Sony releases driver and SDK support

Markio128

I’m 90% day one, but I’ll need to see at least two or three must-have games released during the launch window to justify the early adopter price tag. GT7 VR would count, but I’d also really like to see a decent single player shooter and an RPG.

GermanZepp

If Half life Alyx is what you are expecting for PSVR2 experience, yeah, I would say base PS5 is enough. But I hope with a Pro model release, we could experience visual quality close to that of the Matrix demo (which made by UE5)

This is why I expected a PS5 Pro model with RDNA 3 (which is nearly double the performance of RDNA 2) combined with temporal method to utilized the full capability of the PSVR2's hardware spec (2,000 x 2,040 per-eye 90-120hz)
Stop with the nonsense, Sony can't put enough PS5's in this crossgen madness scenario and you think there are going to build a Pro model for this?

drezz

I’m 90% day one, but I’ll need to see at least two or three must-have games released during the launch window to justify the early adopter price tag. GT7 VR would count, but I’d also really like to see a decent single player shooter and an RPG.
I could bear some lack of NEW games if they managed to get some BC/Patches too work with some of the PSVR1 games, such as beatsaber, Astrobot Rescuemission, Astroplayroom(and hoping for a good new one as well), The walking dead Saints & Sinners, to name a few.

At the very least, enough demo's / Experiences too FEEL the new controllers.

On a bit offtopic note... I'd like a Attack on Titan game, pick small people up as a titan, and Squish them in your hand as they shake and sqirm in your hand; feeling the pulsing through your fingers and the trigger giving resistance... only to stop as you crush them.

Could be a fun couch Co-op game, VR player is titan, 4 controller players on the couch attacking the VR player.

Somewhat like This

Sony is yet to invest into RPGs for its main console, so the chances of seeing one on the PS VR 2 are inexistant. Unless they mandate most titles have an in-built VR mode, which they should offer the tools for.

Markio128

Sony is yet to invest into RPGs for its main console, so the chances of seeing one on the PS VR 2 are inexistant. Unless they mandate most titles have an in-built VR mode, which they should offer the tools for.
It doesn’t need to be a Sony game - Skyrim VR was a decent effort, but I don’t think the original PSVR was powerful enough to do the genre justice.

As an example, a Cyberpunk VR version would really appeal to me. Probably very unlikely, but you never know.

SeraphJan

Stop with the nonsense, Sony can't put enough PS5's in this crossgen madness scenario and you think there are going to build a Pro model for this?
What logic is this? What does your crossgen madness has to do with Sony releasing new model? Its your business if you believe the leak or not.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

What logic is this? What does your crossgen madness has to do with Sony releasing new model? Its your business if you believe the leak or not.
You don't think PS4pro was made to cater a specifics market point? the better resolution up to "4k" and better framerate BECAUSE OG PS4 was a 1080p machine and couldn't live up to that task ? it wasn't made to PSVR. What is the deal now? Why we need a PS5 Pro for? We varely have PS5 exclusive games. EDIT: what leak?

Last edited:
Top Bottom