• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Do we know if our recorded shows from the removed channels will still be available until the 28 days are up or if they will be removed on Friday along with the channels?

Im new to all of this.

Is this literally what cable offers, for better pricing?

If Im not mistaken, some cable/internet plans FORCE you to have basic cable, so it seems some people are stuck

Im new to all of this.

Is this literally what cable offers, for better pricing?

If Im not mistaken, some cable/internet plans FORCE you to have basic cable, so it seems some people are stuck

The basic idea is, yes, Vue is an Internet-streaming, app-based cable TV alternative.

The latest development is that Viacom content (MTV/Nick/Com.Central) will no longer be available on Vue. This now makes Vue a lot like some other cable services who held firm against catering to Viacom's demands, and less like others that worked something out with them in the end. But it's definitely much cheaper than other cable TV services on the whole.

pacman85

Does any other streaming services have Viacom channels?
SlingTV does. Supposedly, DirectTV NOW is launching this month and I'm pretty sure I have ready they will have the Viacom channels but they still need to release A LOT more details about their service (like a complete channel lineup).

Shit! My PS Vue subscription lapsed, due to a credit card on file that literally just expired. I had forgotten to change it.

After talking to a PS Vue rep, I asked if when I resubscribed I'd still have all of my DVR'd shows. Their answer was essentially "I don't know, but likely not." And when asked if I were to resubscribe and find the DVR'd shows not there, I was given an answer of "there is a no refund policy for PS Vue."

Between that and the Viacom announcement, it's hard to justify opening my wallet for Vue again. And that sucks, because I loved my PS Vue. I would lose 30+ episodes that I DVR'd, though.

EDIT - I talked to another rep, who shot down the initial rep's claims. He said there would be no issue with what I had DVR'd. I re-subscribed and, sure enough, it's time for a Teen Titans Go! marathon! :p

Has anyone been watching Vue on PC? How is the experience? I see a couple positive impressions on previous pages. I want to switch from Sling, I watch exclusively on my PC.

Hesh

Has anyone been watching Vue on PC? How is the experience? I see a couple positive impressions on previous pages. I want to switch from Sling, I watch exclusively on my PC.

Been using it at work on breaks. Doesn't match the quality of watching it on TV with my PS4 at home, but it's watchable. Reminds me of watching games on WatchESPN.com where the picture quality is "HD" but it doesn't match that sort of "HD" quality you get on TV. Framerate appears to support 60 FPS, though, so if you're watching a sporting channel the framerate will be really nice but the quality may vary depending on your network congestion. I tried out the Android app a few weeks ago, too, and the quality was decent.

I'll catch any CC stuff I frequent later somewhere else, but I'm never going back to cable.

Hopefully this isn't a trend, but I'll live without just about any channel I have to now. Just a matter of whether Vue is worth the price too.

Did anyone else have their local cable sports channel get blacked out?

I just went to the Vue browser trying to catch the Blazer game and it's blacked out now...it was not blacked out before. The network is the local Comcast Sportsnet.

Still can't believe Vue isn't supported on Chromebooks.
I can believe it, since web browser support just got released. I do hope this gets addressed. As much as I hate Chromebooks, because I administrator 1500 of them, I have one to take home and its small size and portability is a benefit.
Does the PS4 Pro count as another PS4? Or can you watch at the same time on both?
That's a damned good question! How can we test this? Sign into the Primary Device as a local account and the other as your PSN?

Not a joke post. Is there a PS Vue for Xbox One?
I was thinking about that the other day. If Sony were to release a PS Vue app on the Xbox One that'd be clutch. I'm sure Sony would want as big of a subscriber base as possible, so the more devices the better. The Roku and web browser announcements at least show that expanding is part of their strategy..

Well, I just canceled my sub the day before this month's payment ran out. Left them a straightforward message that I'd kept it going if the Viacom channels came back and eventually got CBS. CBS was the only real blocker from me outright canceling DirecTV in favor of using Vue, but since AT&T took over DTV it's been steadily improving in features, which is helpful since my wife works from home and tends to watch her shows during the day.

inki

No you can't log in on both with the same psn account. Log in one will make the other one log out

But remember using an Amazon Fire TV or the PS Vue App, or a PC or Roku (or combo thereof) you can have up to 5 devices streaming PS Vue simultaneously. I went the Fire Tv route (got the box - not the stick) w/ a combo HD antennae to get all the local channels. :D

inki

Well, I just canceled my sub the day before this month's payment ran out. Left them a straightforward message that I'd kept it going if the Viacom channels came back and eventually got CBS. CBS was the only real blocker from me outright canceling DirecTV in favor of using Vue, but since AT&T took over DTV it's been steadily improving in features, which is helpful since my wife works from home and tends to watch her shows during the day.

You know you can subscribe to ABC for $5.00 w/ commercials or $10 w/o commercials right? There is an android and IOS app that works on amazon fire and chromecast. That's how I get my CBS.

Man, I thought it was like some sorta of service issue on their end about viacom till my sister called me about missing channels. I decided to google search it and yup, now I am thinking about cancelling the service, sucks too cause they chaged my credit card this morning. Ugh, I hear Hulu and dish are making their own services, guess I'll have to check those out.

I use to use SlingTV but it didn't really work out well for me.

You know you can subscribe to ABC for $5.00 w/ commercials or $10 w/o commercials right? There is an android and IOS app that works on amazon fire and chromecast. That's how I get my CBS.

We did before anyway, but that isn't really the point of this. My current point of canceling was for Viacom channels going away. Wives can be fickle about how they consume their channels due to ease of use (several friends at work have this exact same scenario), otherwise I would have dropped DTV a long time ago and setup a DVR with my Terk antenna for OTA stuff and called it a day.

But remember using an Amazon Fire TV or the PS Vue App, or a PC or Roku (or combo thereof) you can have up to 5 devices streaming PS Vue simultaneously. I went the Fire Tv route (got the box - not the stick) w/ a combo HD antennae to get all the local channels. :D

Yes I can watch on iPad and on PS4 at the same time. But not 2 PS4 (even if one is a Pro) because psn won't let you log on 2 PS4's with the same psn account

I wonder if they underestimated how many people would cancel without Viacom. I know a lot of us here would only care about Comedy Central, but for most people I would think Viacom is a must-have for any digital service. Particularly because of Nickelodeon and their kids.

bebop242

This is a bummer. I understand that the PS4 Pro is essentially just a PS4, but they should at least let you log into 2 PS4s.

Tying the subscription to your PSN was a mistake. You shouldn't get punished for having multiple systems. You want to watch Vue and play a game on your second ps4 on the same PSN? Sony says pound sand.

Edit: on second thought maybe you can. Either way it makes no sense when you can buy multiple devices that aren't Sony and be fine. But buy 2 ps3s or 2 ps3s and you are limited.

SaiyanRaoh

Are the free trials credit card based or email based? What I'm trying to ask is......What is stopping me from creating endless emails for back to back free trials with the same debit card? I happen to have two PSN accounts and I've gotten a 2nd trial today and the only thing I changed was my email address.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Are the free trials credit card based or email based? What I'm trying to ask is......What is stopping me from creating endless emails for back to back free trials with the same debit card? I happen to have two PSN accounts and I've gotten a 2nd trial today and the only thing I changed was my email address.

They are account based. You can keep creating PSN accounts I guess.

U2NUMB

I wonder if they underestimated how many people would cancel without Viacom. I know a lot of us here would only care about Comedy Central, but for most people I would think Viacom is a must-have for any digital service. Particularly because of Nickelodeon and their kids.

I hope it hurts them bad.. not because Viacom deserves to be given in to every time but the way Sony handled this. 2 day notice and the way they spun the channels leaving as a positive for their customers. The blog comments are I believe close to or over 400 and its just brutal.

As of a couple days ago they still listed the Viacom channels on their site so people are signing up and their first impressions is trying to find channels that are not there. They then go look and find the info themselves only to be pissed off.

I have loved the service but their handling of this was so bad.. it makes me wonder about the future of the product.

What a pain...

I think their recent service changes also affected my Comcast Sportsnet channel.

It is now both web AND mobile restricted, but works on PS4.

I had planned on selling my PS4, but.....looks like I'll need to keep it just to watch the damn Blazers play.

Doesn't even make sense...all of the devices are from the same IP.

My fiancée is home for a few days before her new job starts and noticed the missing channels today...

We really don't want to pay Comcast more than we have to, so we are giving Hulu a try in addition to keeping Vue.

Hulu will give her some of her guilty pleasure VH1 shows and they are now offering a limited time deal for "new subscribers" for $5.99/month for a year in case it's useful to anyone else.

How is Vue on the newest Roku? I have a Roku 2 for my room and the app is really limited compared to the native PS4 app. For example, I have about 30 episodes recorded on the PS4, but the Roku only displays the previous 10 or so. I'm hoping that the Roku 4 has an identical UI to the PS4, but I have no idea.

Is the NFL game on NFL Network blacked out for anyone else on Vue? I live in Wisconsin... Giving me an screen saying they have not been granted permission to stream certain programs over the Internet?

The hell is going on with Vue lately.

Top Bottom