• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic recruits 3 Rare veterans (Kirkhope/Wise/Burke) for Banjo-Kazooie successor

Chastten

Banned
Just expect the game to look weird and cartoonish and have googly eyes. It's a return to Rare.

And isn't this supposed to be an SM64-style 3D platformer, or did I imagine that?

No idea, but that would be awesome either way. I miss those games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As long as it gives us a soundtrack similar to Banjo Kazooie, i'll be happy. More Gruntilda's Lair music style please!

Axass

The composer of Donkey Kong Country together with the composer of Banjo-Kazooie?

5222896242_4075d2c45d.jpg

Even after that Edge spread last week?

Son, this shit is happening.
Yeah, I'm shoveling a huge amount of crow down my throat right now. Not saying this means a great game is happening automatically, but the pieces are definitely falling into place.

I don't want to eat anymore crow :(

Alpha_eX

Have they hired any of the original artists because all of the concept art I've seen is awfully generic and has no real charm to it, looks like an iOS Pokemon rip off.

Leflus

So when is the Kickstarter going up?
They've said that the project has already been funded. They're open to working with a publisher, but only if it's mutual.

(Maybe they were funded by one of the Stamper brothers? :p)

Have they hired any of the original artists because all of the concept art I've seen is awfully generic and has no real charm to it, looks like an iOS Pokemon rip off.
Steve Mayles is as original as they come when it comes to character designs in DKC and Banjo-Kazooie. Same with Mark Stevenson for enviroments in DKC and Steven Hurst for enviroments in Banjo.

The art team is very solid. It's the gameplay/design team that could use a few more recruits.

Neiteio

Going off memory here, but I recall there being a number of N64-era Rare artists working on this. The talent lineup is super-impressive, with members who had key roles on Banjo-Kazooie, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, etc.

Going off memory here, but I recall there being a number of N64-era Rare artists working on this. The talent lineup is super-impressive, with members who had key roles on Banjo-Kazooie, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, etc.

Steve Mayles and Steven Hurst are art veterans. Steve was one of THE main character designers and I'm think Steven Hurst did a lot of the old art and renders during the N64 era, not quite certain though.

Axass

They've got the guy who designed all the Kongs and Banjo. I think that's already enough.

Gartooth

I hope it is a simultaneous release, otherwise I'm going to have to go out and buy a PC compatible controller for the Steam version. ;)

Neiteio

Steve Mayles and Steven Hurst are art veterans. Steve was one of THE main character designers and I'm think Steven Hurst did a lot of the old art and renders during the N64 era, not quite certain though.

They've got the guy who designed all the Kongs and Banjo. I think that's already enough.
So all's good on the art front. I mean, our tastes have changed since we were kids playing the N64, so I'm sure we won't take to the style as readily as we would've back then when it was the next hot thing on our N64, promoted by a cheesy VHS tape from Nintendo and all over the latest copy of Nintendo Power. But still, I'm confident it will look and feel like Rare. The concept art we've glimpsed in Edge already sees to verify this.

Axass

So all's good on the art front. I mean, our tastes have changed since we were kids playing the N64, so I'm sure we won't take to the style as readily as we would've back then when it was the next hot thing on our N64, promoted by a cheesy VHS tape from Nintendo and all over the latest copy of Nintendo Power. But still, I'm confident it will look and feel like Rare. The concept art we've glimpsed in Edge already sees to verify this.

I think mine pretty much didn't; anyway I've got absolute faith these guys will create something amazing.

I hope it is a simultaneous release, otherwise I'm going to have to go out and buy a PC compatible controller for the Steam version. ;)

If you have a PS3 or Xbox, you already have one.

Coolwhip

Banned
I have been waiting for this to happen for years. The core Rare crew of the 90s joining forces. I hope more join up and that Nintendo joins in too.

Im excited!

Leflus

Heh. Looks like JonTron has become aware of Playtonic:
Jon Jafari @JonTronShow
· 22m 22 minutes ago
The Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor is happening!!! Check out @playtonicgames. Looks like that dang ol' @grantkirkhope is doing the music!

Should hopefully give them a little PR boost. :)

Edit:
Playtonic Games ‏@PlaytonicGames · 7m7 minutes ago
@JonTronShow @grantkirkhope thanks for the call out! You should voice a character for us!

Coen

Someone, anyone, should just give these guys the financial and technical backing they need to make a proper collectaton. I would hate for this to become a half-baked project, stuck in early access for eternity.

Two Legends and a guy who only worked with them during the MS days?

Which one doesn't belong?

EDIT: Although now I have the Viva Pinata theme tune in my head, fuck.

-MD-

Heh. Looks like JonTron has become aware of Playtonic:

Should hopefully give them a little PR boost. :)

Edit:

I was wondering when JonTron was going to notice them.

Honestly though it's kind of annoying to see him be handed a voice like that even though I completely understand it. Watching him stream Banjo a couple months back it seemed like he never played the game in his life and kept getting genuinely frustrated with the game and complained about it.

He didn't seem like the mega Banjo fan he claims to be during that stream is what I'm saying.

Leflus

Two Legends and a guy who only worked with them during the MS days?

Which one doesn't belong?
Kameo's soundtrack was great though.

...and Fable Heroes had a few nice Banjo-esque tunes (though I'm not sure which songs were composed by Burke or Beanland).

Neiteio

Playtonic Games ‏@PlaytonicGames · 7m7 minutes ago
@JonTronShow @grantkirkhope thanks for the call out! You should voice a character for us!
Oh man, Jontron voicing a character in this game would be amazing

They should give him an operatic singing role

Leflus

Honestly though it's kind of annoying to see him be handed a voice like that even though I completely understand it. Watching him stream Banjo a couple months back it seemed like he never played the game in his life and kept getting genuinely frustrated with the game and complained about it.

He didn't seem like the mega Banjo fan he claims to be during that stream is what I'm saying.
He got called out by Kirkhope. :p

Grant Kirkhope ‏@grantkirkhope · 12m12 minutes ago
@JonTronShow @PlaytonicGames
Let's hope you can manage to beat the final boss this time eh ..... hehehehe!!!!!

Was he playing Kazooie or Tooie? I can understand complaints against Tooie, but Kazooie is pretty straight-forward.

Neiteio

Dude, he was trying to play a game while conversing with friends and entertaining a live audience on Twitch for charity. He was barely affording the game 10% of his attention. Why does everything have to be some show of skill with you? It was just for fun.

Neiteio

It's great that you feel the need to defend him but, huh?
I'm referring to past comments like your tendency to talk down to people in The Evil Within threads. I'm not hating — I think you're a great poster with a lot of interesting insights. I'm just saying there's no need to be condescending. I mean, in this case you're questioning whether someone really likes Banjo-Kazooie because of how well they played the game, without consideration for the circumstances, etc. A bit unfair, is all.

-MD-

We knew this though, right? Kirkhope's been the tease through this.

Anyway, still awesome to hear.

Yeah everyone expected Kirkhope since he was the only named person involved with the game back when Mingy Jongo was pitching the idea.

I'm referring to past comments like your tendency to talk down to people in The Evil Within threads. I'm not hating — I think you're a great poster with a lot of interesting insights. I'm just saying there's no need to be condescending. I mean, in this case you're questioning whether someone really likes Banjo-Kazooie because of how well they played the game, without consideration for the circumstances, etc. A bit unfair, is all.

It's petty I admit. I like JonTron, while that one thing did annoy me I did understand the situation with the stream and all that, I probably shouldn't have even brought it up.

His voice in A Hat in Time sounded pretty good so I say go for it.

Azure J

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Dave Motherfucking Wise

and

Grant Motherfucking Kirkhope

in the same

FUCKING

GAME

Pack it up, videogame composers, you will never eclipse this game's soundtrack

Hey man, let's not get too crazy. Masashi Hamauzu, Yoko Shinomura and Hideki Naganuma aren't involved just yet. :lol

Top Bottom