• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
5efefLA.png
Internet streaming from gaf again! Even usernames!? No shame.

Why do people keep saying Jon "lost his job" over this? Do people honestly think this was an actual paid VA gig?

The fact that this wasn't a paid job is an even bigger loss imo. He essentially got snubbed by people he respected and idolized since he was a kid.

Oh good lord, though it begs the question to why Playtonic even hired him in the first place?

Visibility. He has like 3 million+ subs. Hiring him, even to just bleep and bloop into a mic, immediately puts this game on the radar of his quite sizable fanbase. That is until he became so toxic that his inclusion had the potential to have the opposite effect, after which they were smart to drop him like a sack of potatoes.

Oh good lord, though it begs the question to why Playtonic even hired him in the first place?

Popular YouTuber who was a long time fan, and who met some of the crew before seemed like a good way to advertise their game. Sure he was a little over the top before, but he hadn't shown his true colors almost 2 years ago when they agreed to have him do voice work.

Lol no dude, it's a joke. I copied a satirical post from this thread onto the steam forums to see if the people raging over there would catch it.

edit:
whoosh

https://steamcommunity.com/app/360830/discussions/0/133260492061585777/

Oh, in that case, it's pretty hilarious to flip that against them and still see the extent they will go to justify. In that link someone said that taking JonTron off went against PlayTonic's support of diversity which I was just like wtf.

RM8

Lol, "being too not racist is just as bad" definitely sounds like something the "truth is always in the middle" crowd would say.

Ferr986

Because we have moderation standards and just about all other major gaming communities don't. Also we were one of the major communities that rejected GG while most big communities embraced it. See all the alt accounts doing suicide drivebys in GG and the recent johntron threads.

This is true and why I left all other communities and settled at GAF.
Also it's true that there's GGers hating on GAF on other sites yet posting here like nothing happens. Not that I care but I find it funny.

It's funny how gaf gets singled out every time, as if it's just this small community in particular that isn't playing along with their nonsense, and everyone else is cool with it maaaan.

Every other site either sides with the "SJW" narrative or just look away ignoring it to avoid problems. GAF is pretty much the only site where you get banned for it.

People acuse GAF of being an ehco chamber but it's their inhability of turning GAF into another of their own echo-chamber what triggers a lot of people.

Good for Playtonic. They wound up in the unfortunate position where no matter what choice they made, they would be alienating a large portion of people. At least they made the choice that doesn't appease a bunch of angry racists.

jstripes

Banned

"Think about the damage this kind of censorship does to art and free speech."

As someone who went to art school, go fuck yourself. Artists have always been aware of the potential social consequences of expressing themselves, and they choose to live with that.

Zolo

Good for Playtonic. They wound up in the unfortunate position where no matter what choice they made, they would be alienating a large portion of people. At least they made the choice that doesn't appease a bunch of angry racists.

I'd argue they wouldn't have alienated that many people if it was just left in. I think most would have understood that the voice work was done a long time ago and they wouldn't want to go through the whole mess of removing him. That's why accusations against them on the grounds of caving in or being fearful elsewhere seems misplaced.

Seik

Banned

As someone who went to art school, go fuck yourself. Artists have always been aware of the potential social consequences of expressing themselves, and they choose to live with that.

Dude, read the last page, it's a joke, he's trolling them. :lol

Mesoian

Ugh. How did this piece of shit make it this far?

I mean...his stuff is good.

Just because he's racist doesn't mean he doesn't have a pretty good grasp on visual comedy.

Micheal Richards was great on Seinfeld for decades before he had his racist outburst that ruined him.

Every other site either sides with the "SJW" narrative or just look away ignoring it to avoid problems. GAF is pretty much the only site where you get banned for it.

People acuse GAF of being an ehco chamber but it's their inhability of turning GAF into another of their own echo-chamber what triggers a lot of people.

That's a good point. I suppose if I was a gator-type schmuck and got banned, I'd probably blame gaf. I'd blame everyone but myself, I'd imagine.

That's a joke post you're getting upset at.

aravuus

DidYouKnowGaming: Yooka-Laylee feat. JonTron

"Didja know? Rich blacks commit more crimes than poor whites! Also Yooka was originally a lion or something."

"Did you know? Yooka was originally going to be a panther but was changed because it would've been too hard to make the protagonist a criminal!"

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel super bad for the poor Team17/Playtonic souls who have to moderate the steam forums but I'm having a blast over there. So many people salty especially about Neogaf.

I like you guys, GAF. You're all right for not being a community that condones or puts up with idiocy of the like that Jafari is putting out, or his swooned followers :)

Also, proud of PT for booting that asshat from Yooka Laylee

JohnTH

So I had created a thread in support of the team in the Steam Forums. It had died 5 hours ago, completely buried I think, until now someone decided to bump it just to say that i was baiting. Then a few of them jumped on me.

And I just don't understand why they would go through the work of finding my dead, buried thread.

This is kinda useless off-topic, just had to vent. It'd be cool if there were a buuuunch of threads made to support the devs, though; that's why I created mine.

"To all the commenters saying 'Jim the garble garble tweet is referring to how the characters actually talk in game'. You're wrong. I work for Kotaku ok. I'm the game expert here."

lol

Ohhh he's professional. Well if it's one thing that brexit and Donald Trump situation these idiots idolise it's that we are tired of experts telling us what to do, should why should we trust this guy.

SomTervo

I'll tell a little anecdote here but I may be in a minority of people. Not one for which I'm proud of though... The point I want to make is that you don't necessarily needs practice or anything to just not being an asshole. A single bad experience and a bit of empathy does wonder.

Back then when I was a uneducated young teen, I was always saying shit like ''That's gay.''.

Then came the inevitable experience of saying it in front of another young lad with a group of friends of mine who told me he was actually gay after I said it, I felt soooo fucking bad. I went to him and said that I was sorry to no end and that I wouldn't do this ever again. He gave me a good laugh and said it was totally fine and that I wasn't the only one from which he heard that, but one of the few that actually apologized afterwards.

A very humbling experience, we now are good buddies, and we often use the term 'fag' because of that South Park episode with Bikers when we're being a jerk to one another. :lol

EDIT: Another point would be that Jon is not hopeless, I mean, he was put on blast by a lot of people, media, got cancelled from a game made by some of his favorite devs. At some point, if he's not an absolute asshole, he may come to some realization that he's been acting like a jerk this whole time. I'm not saying it will happen, but who knows. He's an adult, compared to my example, so he may be stuck with that shameful mindset.

Good on you, and this sort of narrative is great. The problem is so few people see outside of a tight circle and don't really meet people from different backgrounds so these experiences never happen.

NandoGip

Good on playtonics. I will buy three copies of their game to support this decision. I'll gift two of them out on my yt channel.

as a community I believe we should put our money where our mouth is and support this game. I'm going to buy a copy even thought I had no intention to before

I mean...his stuff is good.

nah. Internet humour like this or angry nostalgia critc or whatever is Big Bang Theory-tier trite, without production values. I'm surprised these guys apparently have a good amount of adult fans. I can see how I might have liked this as a 15 year old maybe.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The funniest thing about people screaming that they're going to boycott and that this game will lose sales and bomb now?
We probably wouldn't even identify Jon's voice in the game. Doesn't everyone in Yooka-Laylee speak in the Banjo-Kazooie gibberish?
You're freaking out over gibberish.

People need to realize that in reality, saying racist garbage will get you fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom