• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Of course, but I still feel like this is not a good stance to take, feels pretty dishonest. I'm still getting the game though, JonTron or not doesn't decide my buying decision lol.

I'm not following how it's dishonest. They didn't mince words on why he was removed. Their freedom to change their game is their own.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Patch Notes 1.01: "Removed JonTron".

This is a great symbolic move. It'd be nice if, perhaps, he would actually reconsider his thoughts and actions as a result of having his heroes removing him from the revival-successor to a game he adores due to something he exclusively did. Instead he'll probably just dig himself further into the "lefty SJW virtue signalling thought police killed my dream" pit, but hey. At least this is likely to really eat at him, not much can cut you deeper than being publicly denounced by your heroes.

bd5Gnjb.png

Easy

Oh great...let's just punish guy who is just feeling around with his ideas!
It's so weird how Boogie2988 frames Jon's white supremacy as a phase (even though he's into his late 20s):

Boogie2988: "I never knew Jon had the opinions that he has. Recently he might have been 'redpilled' as they say. And he's starting to say that stuff. Maybe he feels that way right now. Maybe he's learning. Maybe he's trying on new ideas, new hats to figure out how he feels."

hamsjams

I mean, I'm absolutely sure nobody would even realize that he was still in the game doing whatever weird grunt he was put to do.

Pandering to people that were saying "Man if he's in the game I'm gonna be mad!!!" without actually realizing why he was in the game in the first place. Not everything is a battle against racism.

Nah, not everything. But we are dealing with Gene Pool Jafari here so I'd assert that this situation has just a little bit to do with combating racism.

Why does the inclusion of an extremely public and virulent racist leave a less bitter taste in your mouth than his exclusion? Reflect on the answer.

What a piece of shit that dude is. Sigh. I'm fully in support of them now.
Really disgusting that someone lost his job (which, based on the press comments, was very good at) based on his political view. I dont care if its a nazi, a communist, or a communazi.
"I don't support Nazi Racists but I am saying Nazi Racists shouldn't be punished. What about their Nazi dog????? He might go hungry!! You monster!!! :("

The thing is that this came right after it exploded on the Yooka-Laylee thread. It's not like Jon is being marketed as a prime celebrity that voiced this game, he was hardly even mentioned

I meant it more like I don't actually care if he's there or not, I'm not outraged like I'm sure a bunch of people are that he was removed because I honestly stopped caring about him a long time ago. But sure, interpret it whatever way you want.

Well some people care and he was removed because of that. Your apathy doesn't make it mean any less, so if you don't care, then why are you going on about it?

That's cool, just hope it isn't too much extra work for them.

I was going to buy the game regardless & wasn't expecting them to remove him since the game's already finished and his contribution isn't obvious but it's nice that they did. Helps show that actions/words do have consequences - you're free to be a bigot/racist just as other people are free to criticize you for it and decide not to associate with you anymore

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Really disgusting that someone lost his job (which, based on the press comments, was very good at) based on his political view. I dont care if its a nazi, a communist, or a communazi.
Racism isn't a political view for fuck suck. Stop trying to downplay racism. :mad:

Xeteh

Go ahead and go to work tomorrow and start spouting racism in front of co-workers. See how that turns out.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

I think you're forgetting that the devs are in fact real people too. And apparently these very real people aren't huge fans of blatant racism.

It's on them to make decisions about who they want in their game. Not everything/body is about gaining support or making money off other people. Sometimes people just have standards/morals that they stick to.

Like these awesome guys.

I'm not really interested in Yooka Laylee, but this made me gain a ton of respect for Playtonic. I'll make sure to keep an eye on their products from now on.

I know what this guy said, and thats exactly the point.
He didn't lose a job, he lost his contribution to something he loves as a direct consequence of his actions. He volunteered to voice and the game is already done. Other than symbolically, Jon Didn't lose anything.

JonTron became worse at doing his job by revealing these vile views of his. When his role is to be liked, his recent controversy is terrible for business. From a purely practical standpoint, Playtonic made a prudent business decision here because Jon damaged his own brand.

That said, I don't think you should need logical rationale like that to decide not to associate your product with a bigot. As Jon was free to express his views so too is any person or business free to decide who they form a contract with. His freedoms are not being infringed upon.

Yukinari

I mean at least we're lucky that Jon didnt have voice acting and items with his name on it in multiple games.

Gonna be funny years down the line when all these youtubers who took part in these games are either found out to be terrible people or stop being popular.

Mael

You know what this game really needs?
The head of ISIS getting recorded to do voicework on the game.
It's ok, it's only gibberish anyway!

I find it really disgusting that the equal rights and humanity of people who are in some way a minority are considered "politics".

Easy to say when you're not affected by their hate speech.

So if he were constantly saying "death to all nonwhites" you'd just be like "well that's just his opinion"?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

...... uh i'm actually totally ok with a Nazi losing jobs. As you should be too.

Cause you know... Nazis.

Have you ever had a job? I'd understandably be fired if I had Nazi views and made them public knowledge.

Ew. Seeing this thread this feels more like pandering than something they would actually do out of their own choice. Removing a voice via "content patch" just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. As much as I think Jon is being a piece of shit and have unsubbed and unfollowed him, I would think they'd be more sincere to leave it at that. Circumstances were different 2 years ago.

why patch any game

circumstances were different when bugs were discovered in the code or rebalancing of game mechanics needed to happen

I mean, I'm absolutely sure nobody would even realize that he was still in the game doing whatever weird grunt he was put to do.

Pandering to people that were saying "Man if he's in the game I'm gonna be mad!!!" without actually realizing why he was in the game in the first place. Not everything is a battle against racism.

You're wrong, racism should be battled on every front that it presents itself. BTW, what makes you think this clown(JonTron) was so important that Playtonic could or wouldn't remove him if even one potential consumer boycotted the game?

Twiforce

Racism, sexism, etc are not political views.

Yes, they are. I keep seeing people say this, I guess because people want to keep believing in the idea of "tolerating all political views" while still not tolerating
bigotry?

We just have to admit that some political views can't be tolerated.

Painguy

The credits roll?

Would seeing 1 name drastically ruin ur enjoyment of the game after beating it?

Again I need to reiterate that i dont support john in anyway but i also find it distirbing that seeing a name could cause a 180 degree change in phase for sum ppl. Its just a series of grunts. There is no way that could suddenly turn ppl into white supremacist. If ppl are so worried that such a thing could happen then they should be questioning their own ethical disposition, Not platonic's.

borges

Banned
Racism isn't a political view for fuck suck. Stop trying to downplay racism. :mad:

Im not downplaying anything. Im just defending the right to work to people that thinks completely opposite to me. What are you suggesting, ban any single racist from job market? Next steps on that plan must be very scary.

Ew. Seeing this thread this feels more like pandering than something they would actually do out of their own choice. Removing a voice via "content patch" just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. As much as I think Jon is being a piece of shit and have unsubbed and unfollowed him, I would think they'd be more sincere to leave it at that. Circumstances were different 2 years ago.

Yeah, I'm not about to be okay with no consequences existing for racist beliefs.

Im not downplaying anything. Im just defending the right to work to people that thinks completely opposite to me. What are you suggesting, ban any single racist from job market? Next steps on that plan must be very scary.

...Yes? People who openly and proudly beat their chest and yell about their racism have limited job prospects, and the alternative to that is a worse thing. People very frequently lose work because they created an image problem. If Jon wants to be a white supremacist, he can go flip patties at a Wendy's.

Chumley

Banned
It's so weird how Boogie2988 frames Jon's white supremacy as a phase (even though he's into his late 20s):

Boogie2988: "I never knew Jon had the opinions that he has. Recently he might have been 'redpilled' as they say. And he's starting to say that stuff. Maybe he feels that way right now. Maybe he's learning. Maybe he's trying on new ideas, new hats to figure out how he feels."

Lmao "new ideas" that motherfucker

Racism and anti-immigration ain't a new idea. Someone should hand that fucker a history book.

Buckle

No i totally get that. Playtonic made the right choice but what im not getting is how an invidual could somehow hear a series of grunts n think how this bucket with eyes is obviously a white supremacist and suddenly not find the game enjoyable.

Letting such a 1 off thing in the game drastically change ur interpretation of the game just doesnt make any sense to me. Imo its an unfair generalization to make towards the devs who pretty much delivered on what was promised.
The bigger question you should be asking is why he deserves inclusion at all still after going on a horrifying racist tirade.

Its not about fear of his character turning out to be a penguin with a third reich helmet or how big or small his part is at all. Its about the ethical integrity of whether they really want to say "who cares?" or "he just has a different opinion, guys" and instead actually making a point in saying they don't want anything to do with him after his rant.

They chose not to be ignorant or try to sweep it under the rug until it blows past them and that says good things to me about their business. They did the right thing.

Skarnet

Banned
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...troversial-youtuber-jontron-from-yooka-laylee

JonTron was doing voice acting for the game, for those who didn't know.

OMG.. Talk about overreaction.. Personal viewpoints should never ever have an affect on an effin' job..
I could not care less who is making the voices of a video game characther.. it could be Hitler, stalin and Mao and the whole of islamic state who was doing the voices and I would not care one bit as long as the voices are good and fit the character..
The world has gone sooo mad.. you have "freedom of speech", but if you say a single thing "wrong" online, even a personal opinion, then you can get fired, get thrown in jail and get your whole life destroyed in a few seconds.. political correctness is the root of this evil..
I will actually consider not buying the game now because of the crazy decision to completely remove someone's voice acting, because Playtonic doesn't agree with his personal opinions..

And I say all of this without knowing anything about the guy or what he said.. as that should never even matter in the first place..

Zakalwe

Banned
Assuming you aren't asking for the literal meaning of "high octane":

A lot of people (intentionally or otherwise) diminish the effect of people saying or doing racist thing by saying "they're just ignorant, they don't really mean it". JonTron can't even be presented as a diet racist like that. He's some straight up 1800s shit.

Do you all really think Jon's an example of high-octane racism?

I see it more as him being holding some deeply racist ideals, but I can't imagine him throwing salutes at a nazi rally for example.

I think Jon is a horrible and harmful bigot, but I'd put him a few rungs below someone like Richard Spencer.

Maybe I'm getting something wrong here? Asking in good faith if anyone would like to educate my ignorant ass.

LiK

He didn't lose a job, he lost his contribution to something he loves as a direct consequence of his actions. He volunteered to voice and the game is already done. Other than symbolically, Jon Didn't lose anything.

He lost the respect of his heroes. haha

Gone, too bad. There's already complaints about "hey he apologized stop being mean :(" in the other thread though.

He lost the respect of his heroes. haha

Funny because a few years back he called someone a retard after they politely asked him to stop using retard as an insult, then got all excited to tweet Neil Cicierega, who called him out for that. Let's see if he learns anything this time.

Nimby

Banned

Good riddance. Also, for some insight. Former Rare devs saying no to Jontron is probably a big deal to him, he's a huge Rare fanboy and him and Arin on GG had Grant Kirkhope on during a BK playthrough.

Everyone is sick of your shit Jon.

Pretty much this.
On a side note:
I dont agree with what jon said (im Iranian) but i also dont get the logic that his grunts in game would corrupt children or y the inclusion of said grunts would make ppl not want to play the game. Its just grunts lol.

-EDIT-
To be more specific i dont quite understand how jon voicing 1 random character could cause a person to be unable to fucus on the game and only think about jon.

If you think the issue is that his "grunts would corrupt children" you are incredibly misguided or being intentionally obtuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom