• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please Help A PS3 Linux Moran

I got Yellow Dog 5 installed on the PS3, but I think I did some things that makes my PS3 unusable as anything but a Linux box.

First off, I must say that it does look like a pretty decent little setup. Firefox is as quick as ever on the PS3, and while most apps load kinda slow, once they are loaded everything works great.

Anyway...

I somehow managed to remove everything from my desktop and I don't know how to get it back. I mean, in Linux, I can't launch any applications because the little launcher bar is gone. How do I get it back?

Also, my PS3 controller will not stop blinking all 4 lights now. Just after I installed Linux the controller just went haywire on me. I figure I can just reset it with the PS3 to get it working right again, but there is just one big problem. I can't get to the PS3's OS anymore because I went all stupid and told it to boot to the Linux OS, cause I was curious. Well, curiosity killed the cat, or in my case the ability to play PS3 games. Is there any way to boot to the PS3 OS? Like some key I can hold down or something?

Grayman

desktop: first just make sure it isn't hidden off in a corner and shrunk look for widgets to pop it out or stretch it.

check any documentation you can find on the window manager to see if there is a hotkey to open a command line, shell window, or file explorer and you could probably fix your desktop from that with enough fooling around with configs or getting into the gui settings for the desktop from there. i thought i'd offer this partial solution if no one else can help more.

I remember having an equivalent to windows key+r when I tried KDE on linux years ago.

squicken

How long must we wait for playback of all video files in HD, AC3/DTS, and the ability to stream from a PC? Is it possible? I'd rather use my PS3 than 360 for streaming b/c HDMI looks better on my set.

Grayman said:
desktop: first just make sure it isn't hidden off in a corner and shrunk look for widgets to pop it out or stretch it.

check any documentation you can find on the window manager to see if there is a hotkey to open a command line, shell window, or file explorer and you could probably fix your desktop from that with enough fooling around with configs or getting into the gui settings for the desktop from there. i thought i'd offer this partial solution if no one else can help more.

I remember having an equivalent to windows key+r when I tried KDE on linux years ago.

That's the odd thing. I had Firefox open and simply clicked the minimize button and my entire desktop vanished. And I'm not in a different one either cause I can still see the background image I set for the one I'm in. I'll do some searching around for Window Manager + PS3 + Linux

Top Bottom