• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jolly Rover's a rather funny and decent Pirate themed cartoony PnC game.
EE8614FC66B578F7C2AAFD97717FA0063A3CC51E

Although the 2nd island has some awkward story stuff about it.

Good voice acting though. It's no Monkey Island but it's fine for what it is.

Oh and apparently the game uses Monkey Island 3's font, which I recently downloaded and installed :p

Man, you just play anything these days eh? :p

I just checked, and i have had this game in my steam backlog for exactly 7 years now LOL, your post just made me want to give it a try finally... looks like just the lighhearted romp i was waiting for. I assume it's short?

Tizoc

Man, you just play anything these days eh? :p

I just checked, and i have had this game in my steam backlog for exactly 7 years now LOL, your post just made me want to give it a try finally... looks like just the lighhearted romp i was waiting for. I assume it's short?

Steam says I beat it in 2 hours, although TBH after my progression got me stumped for a while I kinda decided to play through it for the humor and characters :p
It will take a while to beat since some puzzles may be tricky to solve without using Hints, but you will get your light hearted adventure romp fix from it :)

Has anyone played The Beard In The Mirror yet?

No, it's super new, just came out a few days ago it seems... Early reviews seem decent and it looks interesting, i may add it to my wishlist :)

Also: I am currently playing through Trace Memory DS for the first time, not sure if that counts as a PnC though...

William

Picked up Syberia 1 & 2 on Steam this weekend. Looking forward to jumping in to some good old fashioned point and click. Its been a long time, except for Broken Age which i played last year I haven't played an adventure game in a long time.

Also found this thread which I am super happy about! The OP is great and I have clearly been missing out on adventure games recently. I think I might have to look back on some of the past years threads and do some catching up over the coming months. Really glad to find there is a community out there for these games, so thanks everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I totally missed the news but I guess Gabriel Knight bombed and Jane Jensen retired from game developing once again. It's too bad.

Moebius was shockingly bad:

-easy puzzles
-unlikeable characters
-jerky animation and clipping problems
-boring

I was shocked she made a game that bad

rusteepot

So to clear my Steam Summer Sale and PnC backlog, I very recently binged through the Blackwell series.

Though I wasn't blown away by the first four games when I played them three years back (but found them enjoyable nonetheless), I really liked seeing how they progressed over the years on my second playthrough.

And colour me surprised when I finallly got to Epiphany; it was miles ahead of its predecessors and way way more polished and cohesive (though it sort of meandered in the last third). I almost liked it more than Gemini Rue!

Going to start up Technobabylon soon. Excited!

rusteepot

Moebius was shockingly bad:

-easy puzzles
-unlikeable characters
-jerky animation and clipping problems
-boring

I was shocked she made a game that bad

Cognition was really bad and I think even then it was one of their better games.

Well, they did help publish the awesome Last Door series though.

rusteepot

I really really like Kathy Rain's aesthetic (though the game's so-so). I think it's my favourite thus far, in terms of design, out of all the modern PnC games.

What's yours? Share a screencap!

A2FF72A6A05249B967ED1F7E880EBF90B9824DD2

(Also, it's almost always a freelance journalist/writer.)

I've enjoyed Kathy Rain so far (finished the 1st day). The puzzles aren't challenging however, so if that's your thing you might find KR a little too light.

rusteepot

Define modern

In the last 10 years I guess? Remastered games don't count :D Not released yet, but I really also like:

I've enjoyed Kathy Rain so far (finished the 1st day). The puzzles aren't challenging however, so if that's your thing you might find KR a little too light.

Yeah, it's a very easy game. Great aesthetics, VA, atmosphere and some decent writing save it.

Yes, the VA and aesthetics were great (better than some Wadjet Eye ones even), but the characters felt a tad trope-y to me. The puzzles were generally easy... though some were kinda vague? I played the equally easy Charnel House trilogy and liked it way better (though it was kinda short). Still, it was rather enjoyable.

Just started Technobabylon and am really liking it so far!

KdMd4b.gif

The whole Matrix, pseudo-hacking thing = <3

Slaythe

In the last 10 years I guess? Remastered games don't count :D Not released yet, but I really also like:

Yes, the VA and aesthetics were great (better than some Wadjet Eye ones even), but the characters felt a tad trope-y to me. The puzzles were generally easy... though some were kinda vague? I played the equally easy Charnel House trilogy and liked it way better (though it was kinda short). Still, it was rather enjoyable.

Just started Technobabylon and am really liking it so far!

KdMd4b.gif

The whole Matrix, pseudo-hacking thing = <3

Haven't played it yet but this looks straight out of beneath a steel sky.

GOG.com has lots of PnC adventures on sale incl. the Runaway series, Larry Reloaded, Broken Sword, etc.

I'm not sure if I should buy the runaway series though. I want to replay them but I only have a (new) macbook. Runaway 3 is only on WIN (wtf seriously)....while Runaway 1+2 are available for mac.

Tizoc

Y'all need Silver Case in your lives.
It's frikkin' trippy and is a straight forward simple Adventure game with the usual Suda51 wackiness.

TripleSun

I see Demetrios The BIG Cynical Adventure is finally out on Steam. Plus there is a "no toilet humor" version added to the game in the latest patch which people thought was really off-putting for the game before the patch. Adding to my wishlist!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i need a fun, happy, bright adventure game to play

preferably with easy puzzles

suggestions? i am thinkin day of the tentacle iOS, having never played it before

Tizoc

suggestions?
Kathy rain
The telltale games esp tales from blands

Is Silent Age worth buying on PC? I'm kind of wary because it's apparently originally a tablet game?
Why is it being originally a mobilr gamr a bad thing? I enjoyed it when i played it on my phone and i recommend getting it
I mean it is one friggin' dollar on steam how can u say no to that if ur looking for a pnc to play?

Orgen

GOG.com has lots of PnC adventures on sale incl. the Runaway series, Larry Reloaded, Broken Sword, etc.

I'm not sure if I should buy the runaway series though. I want to replay them but I only have a (new) macbook. Runaway 3 is only on WIN (wtf seriously)....while Runaway 1+2 are available for mac.

I really love Runaway 1+2 (never played 3) so I'd say go for it! I got the whole series very cheap on Steam though...

Kathy rain
The telltale games esp tales from blands

The Walking Dead games are happy games? ;D It's not happy but a (very) short, fun and easy on puzzles game I recommend is Belladona.

epmode

suggestions? i am thinkin day of the tentacle iOS, having never played it before

Day of the Tentacle is one of the all time best adventure games and it's definitely fun, happy and bright. Some tough puzzles but there's a great emphasis on cartoon logic.

Kathy Rain's a good game but I wouldn't exactly call it happy and bright. It's very Gabriel Knight, if you've played it. KR's puzzles are significantly easier than DOTT,

BluWacky

Day of the Tentacle is exactly right, although the puzzles aren't super easy.

Other suggestions:

- either of the Nelly Cootalot games
- Puzzlebots, published by Wadjet Eye
- Machinarium (not "bright", but fun and happy) or Botanicula (a lesser game but fits all your criteria)
- Lumino City

SOME-MIST

looks like candle is finally available as of today for $15.00 no discount ._. published by daedalic and developed by teku...

I really want it, but I'm probably going to wait on impressions since there isn't a discount.

rusteepot

Day of the Tentacle is one of the all time best adventure games and it's definitely fun, happy and bright. Some tough puzzles but there's a great emphasis on cartoon logic.

Kathy Rain's a good game but I wouldn't exactly call it happy and bright. It's very Gabriel Knight, if you've played it. KR's puzzles are significantly easier than DOTT,

KR is easy but definitely not happy or bright. Come to think of it, I haven't played a happy and bright PnC in ages. The only ones I remember which were kinda bright/fun/happy were ones I played as a kid:

Torin's Quest
torin-12.png

and Pepper's Adventures in Time
pepper-5-full.png

I guess you could consider KQ7 kinda bright and splashy in colour palette... but I don't recall it being happy:
kq7-rosella-troll.png

Tizoc

I need to watch Stranger things already @_@

Candle is discounted over at gog.com
Somebody sell me on it so I can just blindly go ahead and buy it :v

epmode

I backed the Kickstarter for Candle. Just tried it out.

Production values are far better than I expected for a $50,000 budget. High resolution 2D art, happily runs at native 1440p, excellent voice acting, etc. I expect Daedalic really helped them out.

I haven't played enough to know if it's a good adventure game but it's definitely interesting. It's controlled like a platformer (it's not a point and click game) with inventory puzzles and such.

wouwie

Is anyone planning on picking up Silence (The Whispered World 2)? I've been looking forward to that game for a long time. Also, it is probably Daedalic's first game that launches on both pc and consoles. Reviews so far (mostly german) seem to indicate that it's got great presentation and good story. On the downside, it seems to have long loading times and it's quite short (around 5 hours). Also, it's more aimed as a cinematic adventure than a hardcore traditional point & click with difficult puzzles.

There is a short demo out on pc. I tried it and while it didn't blow me away, i think i'll buy the game on PS4 this tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom