• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Everyone please play Gabriel knight 2. Awesome fmv game

It's still an FMV game, though; slow, clunky and ugly in a way that GK1 will never be.

GK1, if I'm honest, is the only one of the three that still stands up today;so of course it's the only one with a superfluous remake. If I had infinite cash I would fund "demakes" of the other two to make them normal 2D graphic adventures playable by modern human beings, I'm that serious about my dislike of both of them!

epmode

Ugh, gave up on trying to make Technobabylon run fullscreen on my PC. Will ask for a refund.

I think this'll work if you want to spend the time to do it:

Get an application that forces windowed games into borderless windowed mode. I use Borderless Gaming because it also scales windows bigger if it needs to. Borderless Gaming is available for a fee on Steam and it's probably free elsewhere.

Go to Technobabylon's setup menu and choose Windowed mode. Set the scaling method to something crazy like 6x nearest neighbor filter.

Now, if you just launch the game and point Borderless Gaming to the Technobabylon window, it'll make everything run in fullscreen. Problem is, this will only work perfectly if you have a 16:10 monitor. if you have a 16:9 monitor, it's going to be stretching things horizontally.

To get around this, close the game, make a custom 16:10 resolution in your videocard drivers with the same height as your native resolution. So my 1440p monitor should be set to 2304x1440. A 1080p monitor should be set to 1728x1080. Make sure your card is set to NOT scale anything automatically. This should give you black borders on the left and right of your Windows desktop.

Now that the custom resolution is running properly, launch the game and tell Borderless Gaming to automatically run it in borderless windowed mode. It'll should run fullscreen at the proper aspect ratio.

This is pretty convoluted and there may be a better workaround but I just tested it and it works for me in Windows 10!

Odd this game ran fine for me in fullscreen but due to how pixelated it looked I ended up playing it Windowed :p

I love giant monster pixels. GIVE ME ALL OF THEM.

heringer

I think this'll work if you want to spend the time to do it:

Get an application that forces windowed games into borderless windowed mode. I use Borderless Gaming because it also scales windows bigger if it needs to.

Go to the Technobabylon setup menu and choose Windowed mode. Set the scaling method to something crazy like 6x nearest neighbor filter.

Now, if you just launch the game and point Borderless Gaming to the Technobabylon window, it'll make everything run in fullscreen. Problem is, if you have a 16:9 monitor, it's going to be stretching things horizontally (the game was developed for 16:10).

To get around this, close the game, make a custom 16:10 resolution in your videocard drivers with the same height as your native resolution. So my 1440p monitor should be set to 2304x1440. A 1080p monitor should be set to 1728x1080. Make sure your card is set to NOT scale anything automatically. This should give you black borders on the left and right of your Windows desktop.

Now that the custom resolution is running properly, launch the game and tell Borderless Gaming to automatically run it in borderless windowed mode. It'll should run fullscreen at the proper aspect ratio.

This is pretty convoluted and there may be a better way to do it but I just tested it and it works for me in Windows 10!

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow.

Another problem I'm having with the game is that the mouse feels off. Apparently there's an option inside the advanced settings, but I can't go there because the advanced button disappeared (yeah). Tried reinstalling the game several times but no dice. I could change the mouse setting in the cfg file, but I don't know the command.

Basically instead of this (which I only got the firt time I ran the setup):

839291944b36f29cfa2933ac49205e140c23af92.jpg

I get this:

fdf8f27b473d8415985c040d9a207e8beada6f58.jpg

epmode

That's pretty weird. Windows 7, right? Looks like Aero is gone for some reason.

Not sure what the problem is but I'd look for the settings where Windows automatically switches Aero and other graphics features off when it thinks your hardware can't handle it.

That's a shot in the dark. I really have no idea what's going on.

edit: I don't see any mouse options in the Advanced menu, BTW.

heringer

That's pretty weird. Windows 7, right? Looks like Aero is gone for some reason.

Not sure what the problem is but I'd look for the settings where Windows automatically switches Aero and other graphics features off when it thinks your hardware can't handle it.

That's a shot in the dark. I really have no idea what's going on.

edit: I don't see any mouse options in the Advanced menu, BTW.
Win10, actually. I even tried compatibility mode. Pardon the ignorance, but what is Aero?

Maybe I just didn't see it, but what's your problem when you try to run fullscreen?

Nothing happens, it just won't do it. The resolution never fills the screen. Changing my resolution to 1920x1200 did the trick, but it's cumbersome to do it everytime.

Did you try to set the renderer to Direct Draw 5?

On my notebook when I try to boot the game with the direct 3d renderer it just goes to a black screen with sound, with direct draw enabled it works just fine.

epmode

Win10, actually. I even tried compatibility mode. Pardon the ignorance, but what is Aero?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

Windows Aero (a backronym for Authentic, Energetic, Reflective, and Open, or simply AERO or Aero),[1] also known as Aero Glass, is a set of interface and design guidelines that were introduced by the Windows Vista operating system. The changes made in the Aero interface affected many elements of the Windows interface, including the incorporation of a new look, along with changes in interface guidelines reflecting appearance, layout, and the phrasing and tone of instructions and other text in applications.

Your first screenshot looks just like a Windows 7 Aero window which is why I brought it up.

It looks like this for me in Windows 10:

configr6xt9.png

Nothing happens, it just won't do it. The resolution never fills the screen. Changing my resolution to 1920x1200 did the trick, but it's cumbersome to do it everytime.

How does it not fill the screen? If you have a 16:10 monitor, the game will have black bars on the left and right. That's normal. If it filled the screen, you'd either get stretched pixels or missing graphics.

(I don't know how familiar you are with aspect ratios and 2D games so I'm not sure if I'm explaining the obvious.

heringer

Did you try to set the renderer to Direct Draw 5?

On my notebook when I try to boot the game with the direct 3d renderer it just goes to a black screen with sound, with direct draw enabled it works just fine.

I did, didn't work unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

Your first screenshot looks just like a Windows 7 Aero window which is why I brought it up.

It looks like this for me in Windows 10:

configr6xt9.png

How does it not fill the screen? If you have a 16:10 monitor, the game will have black bars on the left and right. That's normal. If it filled the screen, you'd either get stretched pixels or missing graphics.

(I don't know how familiar you are with aspect ratios and 2D games so I'm not sure if I'm explaining the obvious.

I don't mean borders on the sides, that's natural due to the aspect ratio. I mean the resolution doesn't scale with the screen. If I select a resolution higher than my display the game won't even launch, and if it's lower than my display resolution it won't scale.

epmode

You could try posting on the Wadjet Eye forum. They can often help with weird issues like that.

Or you could try the ridiculous workaround I mentioned earlier. I think it'll work for you.

heringer

You could try posting on the Wadjet Eye forum. They can often help with weird issues like that.

Or you could try the ridiculous workaround I mentioned earlier. I think it'll work for you.

Yeah, I'll try that tomorrow.

Though right now I'm more annoyed about the mouse acceleration. Their engine kind of sucks man.

Finally played Shardlight today.

It was pretty good. A bit on the easy side though, and I wasn't a fan of how they decided the ending I chose was "bad", felt kinda like a writing failure, which was odd given how good the writing was throughout the game. I also felt they could have done a somewhat better job to make clickable items "pop" out. They did with a few things via animations, but too often the clickables were a bit subdued and kind of melted into the background.

But other then that, good writing, good VA, good art, decent length.

heringer

All games use AGS, so don't expect 60 fps or 1080p or whatever.
The artwork and music gets great by the third game though.

Yeah, I know. But Shardlight, Technobabylon and Gemini Rue runs better, for instance.

Anyway, I'm asking so many questions you guys are probably getting sick of it, lol. Gonna play some point and clicks now! Almost finished with Gemini Rue.

Tizoc

Well just beat Broken Sword 5.

I liked Ep. 1 more than Ep. 2.
I should prob. play BS1 and 2 soon since I hadn't played 1 and 2 I played a loooooong time ago.

EDIT: Next up
Her Story and 'I have no mouth and I must scream'

epmode

Blackwell Legacy is an eleven year old game at this point.

I think it was semi-remade. It was brought to a later version of AGS, touched up a bit, the main character got a new voice actor (to keep the game in line with the rest of the series) and a new commentary track was added.

I don't remember any problems with the framerate though, for the new or old game. The animation in the earlier games is definitely worse than what comes later so maybe you just he just doesn't like the choppy animation?

Paragon

Yeah, I'll try that tomorrow.
Though right now I'm more annoyed about the mouse acceleration. Their engine kind of sucks man.
I have trouble running a lot of the games in this engine in full-screen mode too.
I can't run Gemini Rue in full-screen mode at all. It tries to run at 1280x800 in 16-bit color and doesn't work in either DD5 or DX9 mode.
I'm sure it used to work in full-screen mode, but it isn't working in the current version.

Technobabylon runs in full-screen mode for me but has that awful mouse acceleration.
Running the game in windowed mode fixes the mouse acceleration.
Borderless Gaming, which is available for free on GitHub or very cheap on Steam if you want to support the developer, can make the windowed mode almost like running it in full-screen.

If you have a 16:10 display or don't care about the aspect ratio, you can just add the game to the favorites list in Borderless Gaming.
If you want to fix the aspect ratio, add the game to the favorites then right-click it and manually set the window size instead of running it full-screen.

borderless-gamingihsge.png

EDIT: I hadn't used Borderless Gaming before, it seems like it's easier to just leave the game set to full-screen and adjust the window bounds.

Since the game renders 16:10, multiply your vertical screen resolution by 1.6 to find the correct width.
Subtract that from your screen's width and divide the result by two.
Use that to set the window bounds.

For a 1920x1080 screen:
1080x1.6 = 1728.
1920-1728 = 192.
192/2 = 96.
Pixel adjustment for left edge = 96, right edge = -96

The image ends up being rescaled so things like the Steam Overlay look really ugly, but the game itself looks okay.
Your desktop will be visible at the edges of the screen but I just use a solid black wallpaper anyway.

I tried using GeDoSaTo to override the rendering resolution and scale it cleanly, but everything I tried either didn't work (rendered at 1280x800) or worked to render at 5120x3200, but put the game back into full-screen mode so the mouse acceleration was back.

I love giant monster pixels. GIVE ME ALL OF THEM.
I don't mind the pixels, but sometimes I find low-res indie games to be difficult to read on my TV because the text is so big and stops looking like letters.
It's probably not as big a deal on a monitor, but I have to push my chair back.
Running in a window would have the same effect.

I don't remember any problems with the framerate though, for the new or old game. The animation in the earlier games is definitely worse than what comes later so maybe you just he just doesn't like the choppy animation?
The problem with all the AGS games is that they run at 40 FPS for some reason.
Monitors typically run at 60Hz so it judders badly if the game does camera pans. You need a monitor that can do 80/120Hz.

heringer

Just finished Shivah in one sitting. It was pretty decent, even if very short. I liked the focus on the computer to solve the puzzles.

I have trouble running a lot of the games in this engine in full-screen mode too.
I can't run Gemini Rue in full-screen mode at all. It tries to run at 1280x800 in 16-bit color and doesn't work in either DD5 or DX9 mode.
I'm sure it used to work in full-screen mode, but it isn't working in the current version.

Technobabylon runs in full-screen mode for me but has that awful mouse acceleration.
Running the game in windowed mode fixes the mouse acceleration.
Borderless Gaming, which is available for free on GitHub or very cheap on Steam if you want to support the developer, can make the windowed mode almost like running it in full-screen.

If you have a 16:10 display or don't care about the aspect ratio, you can just add the game to the favorites list in Borderless Gaming.
If you want to fix the aspect ratio, add the game to the favorites then right-click it and manually set the window size instead of running it full-screen.

borderless-gamingihsge.png

EDIT: I hadn't used Borderless Gaming before, it seems like it's easier to just leave the game set to full-screen and adjust the window bounds.

Since the game renders 16:10, multiply your vertical screen resolution by 1.6 to find the correct width.
Subtract that from your screen's width and divide the result by two.
Use that to set the window bounds.

For a 1920x1080 screen:
1080x1.6 = 1728.
1920-1728 = 192.
192/2 = 96.
Pixel adjustment for left edge = 96, right edge = -96

The image ends up being rescaled so things like the Steam Overlay look really ugly, but the game itself looks okay.
Your desktop will be visible at the edges of the screen but I just use a solid black wallpaper anyway.

I tried using GeDoSaTo to override the rendering resolution and scale it cleanly, but everything I tried either didn't work (rendered at 1280x800) or worked to render at 5120x3200, but put the game back into full-screen mode so the mouse acceleration was back.

I don't mind the pixels, but sometimes I find low-res indie games to be difficult to read on my TV because the text is so big and stops looking like letters.
It's probably not as big a deal on a monitor, but I have to push my chair back.
Running in a window would have the same effect.

The problem with all the AGS games is that they run at 40 FPS for some reason.
Monitors typically run at 60Hz so it judders badly if the game does camera pans. You need a monitor that can do 80/120Hz.

Now the game magically goes fullscreen if I select antialiasing 4. A bit blurry, but ok.

Thanks for the tip, I'll still use it for the mouse controls.

epmode

Borderless Gaming, which is available for free on GitHub or very cheap on Steam if you want to support the developer, can make the windowed mode almost like running it in full-screen
I thought you rewrote my post for a second.

Setting a custom 16:10 Windows resolution may work better than screwing with the window bounds in Borderless Gaming but I guess either way will be OK.

Now the game magically goes fullscreen if I select antialiasing 4. A bit blurry, but ok.

Nearest neighbor might work better than antialiasing.

Paragon

I thought you rewrote my post for a second.
Setting a custom 16:10 Windows resolution may work better than screwing with the window bounds in Borderless Gaming but I guess either way will be OK.
Nearest neighbor might work better than antialiasing.
I don't know how things work with AMD VSR, but with NVIDIA you can only have DSR or custom resolutions enabled.
You can't enable both at the same time, and I use DSR a lot in 3D games.

So that would mean:
  1. Disable DSR
  2. Switch desktop to custom resolution.
  3. Launch the game.
  4. Switch back to your desktop resolution and re-enable DSR after quitting.
vs
  1. Leave Borderless Gaming running in the tray.
  2. Play the game.
It would be best if they patched the game(s) to fix the full-screen options and remove the mouse acceleration though.
It doesn't seem like all games on that engine have that problem.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got Book of Unwritten Tales 2 for $4 on that PSN sale.....

...boy is this game slick. Got to be the most polished adventure game I've seen out of a smaller company.

Tizoc

I'll put something together then. Not sure I'll be able to find as many games as you did though, so the games list will be something of a work in progress.
Thread title already got updated ^^;

Why not make instead a thread to hype up 2017 pnc games?
Here is a thread title idea for it
'A list of Point n click adventure games to look forward to in 2017'

Hey guys, my new year's resolution is to quit GAF for 2017 so I won't be participating in the discussion next year but I will be playing lots of adventure games throughout the year, starting with my large backlog!

I made a spreadsheet of upcoming games (with my opinion on their likely release dates) that I posted before that might be of some use if you plan on making a new thread. I probably won't continue to update it that regularly but it is pretty accurate now. The list of upcoming games on AdventureGamers is much longer, but has a bunch of games I'd never heard anyone talk about. Gameboomers is also another good site for adventure game news and sometimes has other info.

Happy New Year!

Thread title already got updated ^^;

Why not make instead a thread to hype up 2017 pnc games?
Here is a thread title idea for it
'A list of Point n click adventure games to look forward to in 2017'

The problem with that is that such a thread would die fairly soon and newbies to the genre wouldn't get the benefit of it as the P&C 20XX thread is the one that gets bumped.

Hey guys, my new year's resolution is to quit GAF for 2017 so I won't be participating in the discussion next year but I will be playing lots of adventure games throughout the year, starting with my large backlog!

I made a spreadsheet of upcoming games (with my opinion on their likely release dates) that I posted before that might be of some use if you plan on making a new thread. I probably won't continue to update it that regularly but it is pretty accurate now.
The list of upcoming games on AdventureGamers is much longer, but has a bunch of games I'd never heard anyone talk about. Gameboomers is also another good site for adventure game news and sometimes has other info.

Happy New Year!

man, I wish I'd seen this five hours ago :/

quite a few games I'd missed, but I'll post the thread now and just work through them.

Alright, no need to let me down easy, how difficult is Samorost 3? I have tinkered with a few lucasart's point and click games and beat The Curse of Monkey Island (with a guide?). Haven't played a point in click in ages. How steep of a learning curve am I looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom