• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

netguy503

get the whole 4 games on PC. I personally love the series.

Theres also a huge sale right now for Daedalics games http://store.steampowered.com/sub/55062/ For 16 euros you get quite the package. Night of The Rabbit was also amazing, whispered world great, etc.

Thank you so much for this. Just got Deponia 1 on humble bundle for a $1 and now I have the whole series (right, is Goodbye Deponia the last one?) for less than one game in the series would of cost me.

Our junior members of these forums really are awesome.

Tizoc

I just put up an imgur gallery of GIFs from our game, check it out if you be so inclined :)

We9dPPM.gif

mluI5Vj.gif
Impressive

Sure does :) It's called Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, and you can download a pretty hefty demo right now from the website. We're still working on it, hoping to release it Q4 this year.

Disclaimer: The demo really doesn't reflect the state of the game (more than a year old). Let me know what you think if you give it a whirl!

Game's looking fantastic. I really like how mostly all the characters look like they're inhabiting the same world as the backgrounds. Although I think maybe Buzz "pops" out a bit too much.

Does it have a name? A store page?

In shocking news people don't read OT's fully lol. It's in the upcoming games lineup

We're currently messing around with a lot of real time lighting in order to make all characters, playable and non-playable, better blend in with their surroundings. Thanks for featuring Gibbous btw!

Tizoc

Could someone make a banner of this image for the Full Throttle OT please?

Nothing too fancy just the game's logo with 'Official Thread' written on it, but it should be at around 800 pixels wide.

The OT will be basic and simple but will go up on the 17th.

Note to self: Stop slacking off and finish up Thimbleweed Park (screw you de-motivating work hours!)

Tizoc

BTW here's the OT I wrote up, anything I should change or fix up?

*banner*
Developer: LucasArts (Original game), Double Fine Productions (Remaster)
Publisher: Double Fine Productions
Platforms: PS4, PSVita & PC (GOG and Steam)
Genre: Graphic Adventure game

Synopsis
Full Throttle is a Point n’ Click Advenutre game, originally released in 1995, written by Tim Schafer & Dave Grossman, the game is cited to have sold 1,000,000 copies after release! The game is now re-releasing on PS4, PSVita and PC starting on 18 April 2017.
Full Throttle follows the story of Ben, leader of the Polecats Motorcycle gang, who is framed for the murder of motorcycle manufacturing mogul, and sets out to clear his name of the crime.

Characters
Ben: Leader of the Polecats Biker gang. Framed for a crime he never commited, he will stop at nothing to clear his name and get his gang back.
Voiced by the late Roy Conrad

Malcolm Corley: CEO of Corley Motors, while en route to a shareholders meeting, he stops at a bar that Ben and his gang were resting at. He wanted to hire the Polecats as bodyguards, but is betrayed by his vice president Ripburger and ends up getting killed.
He is voiced by Hamilton Camp
Adrian Ripburger: Vice President of Corley Motors, he wants to take over control of the company, and implicts Ben for the murder of the CEO.
He is voiced by Mark Hamill
Maureen: A mechanic that Ben meets, who helps him fix up his motorcycle so he can get to Corley Motors and take down Ripburger.
She is voiced by Kath Soucie

Boem

Maybe add the changes they made? So reworked art, cleaner audio (both music and voices), developer commentary, unlockable concept art. They also mentioned in the recent adventure gamer interview that they updated the bike fight minigame to make it a bit less frustrating and more intuitive.

Apart from that, I think you've got it all.

Edit: Also, you might want to mention the soundtrack by the Gone Jackals as that's a big part of the game. They gave Double Fine newer, cleaner versions of their tracks for the Remaster.

Btw, for people hoping for more remasters: Tim said in that same interview that they're still open to it, as long as they can get the original lead devs involved (a number of them already mentioned they would be game for that), and that it pretty much depends on Disney being willing to do it again. Good news though: both the Grim Fandango and DOTT remasters sold more than when the games originally released. So that seems like a good sign at least.

Written by Tim Schafer & Dave Grossman is technically accurate but it still looks weird to me. I'm not sure how much Grossman worked on the game (I know he did, but he left a fair bit before it came out)

Btw, for people hoping for more remasters: Tim said in that same interview that they're still open to it, as long as they can get the original lead devs involved (a number of them already mentioned they would be game for that), and that it pretty much depends on Disney being willing to do it again. Good news though: both the Grim Fandango and DOTT remasters sold more than when the games originally released. So that seems like a good sign at least.

I hope they do a better translation of the animation for the next remaster. DOTT's characters looked off, and the FT ones do to(in the prerelease videos at least).

I wonder if it's a budget thing or the work just not translating well to high res?

Who said they were up for it by the way? I think Moriarty did for Loom, but anyone else? Purcell for S&M or Falstein & Barwood for Fate?

Boem

Oh yeah, skimmed over the Grossman bit. I don't know how much he wrote for it, but he was mostly a programmer on this one I believe. As for his writing:

Dave Grossman is credited as an "Additional Writer" on the game (his final credit on an LEC outside of "special thanks" listings). While he himself isn't sure what lines of his made it into the final game when last asked, he is at the very least responsible for the lyrics of the song Malcolm Corley sings
before his murder.

From one of the MixnMojo's secret histories (essential to any classic Lucasfan,
as always): https://mixnmojo.com/features/sitefeatures/LucasArts-Secret-History-Full-Throttle/3

Who said they were up for it by the way? I think Moriarty did for Loom, but anyone else? Purcell for S&M or Falstein & Barwood for Fate?

Moriarty and Barwood, yeah, and Steve Purcell was asked this at his art show a couple of years back, which he answered with a 'yeah, yeah, sure'. So he's not exactly actively pursuing it but I can't see him blocking the project either. I'm sure Mike Stemmle would be up for it too, but I don't think he ever publically commented on it.

Bill Tiller also said he was game (he has been pushing for that for years, even before Double Fine started on Grim, but he later commented that he would be happy to work with DF as well. But he wasn't a designer on Curse of Monkey Island but the lead background artist. Of course, Curse of Monkey Island would probably be the most difficult game to remaster given the huge amount of animation involved. Unless they somehow managed to keep high res copies of all the single art files somewhere, but I don't know enough about how that stuff works to say anything worthwhile about that frankly. If we'll ever see that on Steam again I think it'll be a rerelease rather than a remaster (which would be fine too).

Edit: Oh yeah, and Larry Ahern (co-lead for Monkey 3) was already present for the commentary for DOTT remastered. So he was willing to be there for that one already.

It helps that many of these guys (at least the ones that have something of a public presence) are still friendly and positive towards each other. So many of the connections are there already. So I'm optimistic about most of them being willing to visit DF for a day to record some commentary tracks and give some input on the art. The real question is if Disney (and Sony) wants to let DF make more of these.

Oh yeah, skimmed over the Grossman bit. I don't know how much he wrote for it, but he was mostly a programmer on this one I believe. As for his writing:

Ah, interesting. When I replay it in a couple of weeks I'll see if I can catch some Grossman lines. His style is pretty distinctive.

Bill Tiller also said he was game (he has been pushing for that for years, even before Double Fine started on Grim, but he later commented that he would be happy to work with DF as well. But he wasn't a designer on Curse of Monkey Island but the lead background artist. Of course, Curse of Monkey Island would probably be the most difficult game to remaster given the huge amount of animation involved. Unless they somehow managed to keep high res copies of all the single art files somewhere, but I don't know enough about how that stuff works to say anything worthwhile about that frankly. If we'll ever see that on Steam again I think it'll be a rerelease rather than a remaster (which would be fine too).

Ironically out of all the Lucas games I think Curse would benefit the most from high res because of the style of the art, but as you say may be the hardest to do. Maybe Bill Tiller will work cheap since it's a passion project lol

I'd also like to see Maniac Mansion & Zak Mckraken remastered with no graphical enhancements, but with all the dead ends taken out.

It helps that many of these guys (at least the ones that have something of a public presence) are still friendly and positive towards each other. So many of the connections are there already. So I'm optimistic about most of them being willing to visit DF for a day to record some commentary tracks and give some input on the art. The real question is if Disney (and Sony) wants to let DF make more of these.

Yeah, the old lucas guys really seemed to work well together and are open about how much they enjoyed that time period. Obviously ron tim and dave are still friends, tim still works with mcconnel and chan, ron just worked with ferrari, winnick and fox and a couple of years ago we had a lucasarts gdc about the start of the lucasfilm games division with a bunch of the earliest guys talking about how it was

Seems like a really good place to work that somehow brought together one of the most creative groups of developers in gaming history.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Sure does :) It's called Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure, and you can download a pretty hefty demo right now from the website. We're still working on it, hoping to release it Q4 this year.

Disclaimer: The demo really doesn't reflect the state of the game (more than a year old). Let me know what you think if you give it a whirl!
Looks amazing! I will be checking out the demo for sure! Just getting my fill on Thimbleweed Park and so I can't wait for more pnc goodness! +1 for Lovecraft as well. :)

TripleSun

Been following that game for a while so it's nice to see the release found good reviews. Still haven't picked it up but excited to when I have free time.

Thank you so much for this. Just got Deponia 1 on humble bundle for a $1 and now I have the whole series (right, is Goodbye Deponia the last one?) for less than one game in the series would of cost me.

Our junior members of these forums really are awesome.

Sorry forgot to reply. No its not the last one, http://store.steampowered.com/app/421050/ :D

Anyway, everyone should really really get Paradigm http://store.steampowered.com/app/600370

I'm going through it atm and the art style and the soundtrack are amazing and the jokes are good so far. It needs more attention. Not sure if theres an OT for it.

deadfolk

I'd also like to see Maniac Mansion & Zak Mckraken remastered with no graphical enhancements, but with all the dead ends taken out.

This so much. I've just reinstalled ZM with the intent of going through it after I'm done with Thimbleweed, but despite some fond memories (it was my first P&C), the thought of the dead-ends has me hesitating. I don't remember them specifically, other than a vague recollection that they exist.

This so much. I've just reinstalled ZM with the intent of going through it after I'm done with Thimbleweed, but despite some fond memories (it was my first P&C), the thought of the dead-ends has me hesitating. I don't remember them specifically, other than a vague recollection that they exist.

The most glaring one was that it was possible to run out of money which was needed to travel and buy stuff.

I'd give you the full list but that would spoil bits of the game for you.

Tizoc

Here is my history with Full Throttle-
Back in the 90s, my dad had an old laptop, which me and my brothers would spend hours playing Dune 2000 and solitaire.
Also some Worms 2 I think.
One day we chanced upon a CD that had a demo for a Star Wars game, which I didn't care for since I never cared for SW at the time, and the complete Full Throttle game.
That is how we got into the game, and we beat it without a guide.
Good times.

Unavowed and Whispers of a Machine have my attention. I've been interested in Jenny LeClue for a while now. Interested in Syberia 3 also, but have never played any of the previous entries, so I'll need to handle that.

wouwie

So it's finally happening, i guess. Syberia 3 is getting released in a few days. I'm so curious how it will be reviewed and how good (or bad?) it will end up being. I hope it's going to a solid adventure game. I loved both Syberia 1 and 2 but never felt it needed another game (it had good closure). And i'm wondering if the move to 3D will do the game any good (given the limited budget). Only a few days left until we will find out :)

Tizoc

OK I'll get the banner ready in a few minutes but do tell me what you think of it now.

Developer: LucasArts (Original game), Double Fine Productions (Remaster)
Publisher: Double Fine Productions
Platforms: PS4, PSVita & PC (Humble Bundle, GOG and Steam)
Genre: Graphic Adventure game

Synopsis
Full Throttle is a Point n’ Click Advenutre game, originally released in 1995, written by Tim Schafer with input from Dave Grossman, the game is cited to have sold 1,000,000 copies after release! The game also features music by the band Gone Jackals, as some tracks from their album, Bone to Pick, are featured in the game.
Full Throttle follows the story of Ben, leader of the Polecats Motorcycle gang, who is framed for the murder of motorcycle manufacturing mogul, and sets out to clear his name of the crime.

The re-release will have these newly added Features: Reworked Art, Cleaner Audio (Music and Voices), Developer Commentary & Unlockable Concept Art.

Characters
Ben- Leader of the Polecats Biker gang. Framed for a crime he never commited, he will stop at nothing to clear his name and get his gang back.
Voiced by the late Roy Conrad

Malcolm Corley- CEO of Corley Motors, while en route to a shareholders meeting, he stops at a bar that Ben and his gang were resting at. He wanted to hire the Polecats as bodyguards, but is betrayed by his vice president Ripburger and ends up getting killed.
He is voiced by Hamilton Camp

Adrian Ripburger- Vice President of Corley Motors, he wants to take over control of the company, and implicts Ben for the murder of the CEO.
He is voiced by Mark Hamill

Maureen- A mechanic that Ben meets, who helps him fix up his motorcycle so he can get to Corley Motors and take down Ripburger.
She is voiced by Kath Soucie

Nudull

Banned
Have Full Throttle and Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy ready for later in the week on my PS4. Should be some fun times. :)

Tizoc

Just beat Charnel House Trilogy; I treated it as one game made up of 3 chapters.
I gather this is a prelude to Auger Peak, but the game hadn't released yet, any word on when it's coming out?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finally pushed through Dagger of Amon Ra after battling with it for a few months after its GoG release.

First 2 chapters are straightforward(of 6), but the bulk of the game takes place in 3/4, and it really demands near perfection to ensure a victory at the end. There are fail states abound, most which aren't apparent until the endgame. Some confusing traps to contend with as well and obtuse solutions, done with typical item manipulation, others require interaction with objects that don't look like they could factor into gameplay at all. It's an early 90's Sierra game alright.

I loved it and loathed it simultaneously. Frustrated so much, I resorted to cheating through sections, which stole away the satisfaction wholesale, but realized the chances of eventually stumbling upon the proper solution was not gonna happen even when aware. The finale is inexplicable in how it barely informs the player on its own rule sets and demands for success(what constitutes evidence during questioning? Game needed a follow up dialogue for each response to signify how it judged your answers) I adored this game growing up, but in hindsight, it may be the least transparent point n click in history. Neat in how it can offer multiple solutions, terrible in how it can lead to absurd amounts of fail states.

Oh wow.. Syberia 3 has some really frustrating design flaws. You can't manually save anywhere. I started the game and then Steam was acting up, but I couldn't restart since there wasn't a savepoint until 1,5 hours into the game. And the save point is right after a minute of cutscene too, which it replays when you load the save... For an adventure game it just doesn't make sense to not be able to save anywhere.

I'm enjoying the art direction, but the presentation is also awkward with stiff animations and some NPCs just stand frozen in place without animation. :I But the story seems promising and I guess I'll get used to the pretty much forced use of a controller.. But damn, the save system is annoying since I don't usually play for long periods. I've also read issues of saves corrupting so this is a bit of a mess.

The Dude

Just getting around to picking up The Order of the Throne, I'm excited to dive in.

Full throttle hitting all the nostalgia just right as well.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on GOG and Steam is like Fate of Atlantis, a P&C. There's also an action game that came out in 1989. Don't think it's available digitally anywhere.
That reminds me how they shoehorned that action path into Fate of Atlantis...I wonder how many people actually chose that one, I sure never did. Was it exactly the same story, just fights in place of the puzzles?

Are there any significant differences between the versions of Indiana Jones Last Crusade?

TOWNS version has CD quality music that is way better then then the VGA PC version. I don't think the PC version even got Roland optimisations, so Adlib is the best you get there.

Graphic are a bit better on the TOWNS version too, as not all the graphics in indy3 were changed to 256 colour vga on the PC version (some remained 16 colur EGA, like the librarian and various bits of background art), while the TOWNS version has almost everything at 256 (annoyingly some of the long range shots use 16 colour sprites, an error not in the PC version).

Biplane doesn't work in the TOWNS version, though scummvm has a workaround for it.

That reminds me how they shoehorned that action path into Fate of Atlantis...I wonder how many people actually chose that one, I sure never did. Was it exactly the same story, just fights in place of the puzzles?

Huh? While it's the easiest one, it's still a unique path with unique puzzles (and yes,a lot more fights). If you never played it then you deprived yourself from a good chunk of the game.

Lafazar

No, there are still puzzles. Though the majority of them are just repeats of the puzzles in the other paths. The fist path exclusive puzzles mostly involve killing Nazis as an alternative to a fistfight. The majority of the fist path exclusive content is indeed a series of fistfights, mainly in the Crete Labyrinth. Though there are some new locations, items, characters and dialogues.

Here is a link to a points list:
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20150909210106/http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191859
http://www.the-spoiler.com/ADVENTURE/Lucas.Arts/atlantis.2.html

And here are just the missable points (the points you might still miss if you completed the game on all three paths, so these are all the optional puzzles or alternate solutions):
Cyril "Ducklord" Saugre said:
Prologue

(New York) Getting past the crates and climbing the ladder : 6 points.
(New York) Talking Biff into letting you enter : 6 points.
(New York) Beating Biff in a fistfight : 6 points.
(Barnett College) Using the chewing-gum on the coal chute : 4 points.
(Barnett College) Throwing a lump of coal at the overhanging book : 4 points.
(Barnett College) Opening the bookshelf by removing the screws : 4 points.
(Barnett College) Pulling the totem below the hole (get mayonnaise before lost dialog!) : 4 points.
(Barnett College) Opening the old dusty chest (with the key from the urn) : 4 points.

Wits path

(Algiers) Getting the fez : 5 points.
(Algiers) Convincing Paul to wear the fez : 2 points.
(Algiers) Finding Omar's house when Paul doesn't have the fez : 10 points.
(Desert) Bribing one of the patrolling guards (this can be done with the fez, with Omar's statue, or with the black bird) : 4 points.
(The submarine) Giving the sandwich to the guard : 2 points.
(The submarine) Eating the sandwich in front of the guard (if it doesn't work, get closer to the guard and try again) : 4 points.

Team path

(Monte Carlo) Passing Trottier's test : 8 points.
(Monte Carlo) Scaring Trottier away : 12 points.
(The submarine) Skipping or escaping the fight with the captain : 1 point.
(The submarine) Beating the captain in a fistfight : 3 points.

Fists path

(Algiers) Knocking Horst out by using the whip on the vase : 8 points.
(Algiers) Beating Horst in a fistfight : 4 points.
(Desert) Beating one of the patrolling guards in a fistfight : 4 points.
(Knossos maze) Crushing Hans with the stone slab : 10 points.
(Knossos maze) Beating Hans in a fistfight (even if if you "weaken" him by telling him you're a tourist) : 6 points.
(Knossos maze) Beating Otto in a fistfight (even if you weaken him) : 4 points.
(Knossos maze) Beating Karl in a fistfight : 3 points.
(Knossos maze) Beating Kurt in a fistfight (even if you weaken him) : 3 points.
(Knossos maze) Killing Anton with the stalactite : 9 points.
(Knossos maze) Beating Anton in a fistfight : 7 points.
(Knossos maze) Crushing Arnold with the boulder : 9 points.
(Knossos maze) Beating Arnold in a fistfight : 10 points.

Atlantis

Beating the soldier who patrols the northwestern quadrant in a fistfight : 5 points.
Beating the soldier who patrols the northeastern quadrant in a fistfight : 5 points.
Beating the soldier who patrols the southwestern quadrant in a fistfight : 5 points.
Beating the soldier who patrols the southeastern quadrant in a fistfight : 5 points.
Crushing Fritz (Sophia's jailor) with the sentinel statue : 7 points.
Activating the sentinel statue after beating Fritz in a fistfight : 7 points.
Freeing Sophia : 9 points.
Getting rid of Nur-Ab-Sal (throwing Sophia's necklace into the lava) : 10 points.
Adapted from this source: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20150909210106/http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191859
Original source (offline): http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=191859

Note for completionists:
When you're sneaking out of the U-Boat, in the Wits path, if you:
ENTER THE TUBE - PICK UP THE ROPE - CLOSE THE TUBE - PULL THE ROPE
You will not get a single IQ point. If you want the 9 points for escaping from the U-Boat, you must:
ENTER THE TUBE - PULL THE ROPE

Note for completionists 2:
3 alternate solutions require winning extremely hard fistfights (Hans, Arnold, Fritz). The first two of which are only available on the fists path. I think that the fistfighting in this game is utterly terrible (either brainlessly easy - by just hitting the opponent in the head over and over and then waiting for Indys health to regenerate before the next encounter - or impossibly hard on those three specific enemies). So if you don't bother doing this, the maximum number of total points achievable is 977.

RAIDEN1

Just recently started Fate of Atlantis...don't know why there hasn't been a HD reboot of this...yet they are quite happy to release it as is on Steam etc....I'll soon make my way to the one hit wonder that was Full Throttle, but ahead of that will be Thimbleweed park..

Top Bottom