• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2018 - This Is The Year!

TripleSun

Thought we might as well create a new thread to bring in the new year! Here is but a glimpse into the glorious PnC world of 2018:

Lamplight City - Grundislav Games (From the makers of such games as A Golden Wake and the Ben Jordan series) Release Date: Sep. 13th 2018

xef4H6V.png

Unavowed - Wadjet Eye Games (From the makers of such games as Shardlight, The Shivah, Emerald City Confidential and the Blackwell series) Release Date: August 8th 2018

unavowed-alley.png

Whispers of a Machine - Clifftop & Faravid (From Clifftop Games - Kathy Rain / From Faravid Interactive - The Samaritan Paradox)

screenshot01a.png

Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure - Stuck in Attic

_0013_gibbous-scene__full.jpg

The Pillars of the Earth: Book Three: Eye of the Storm - Daedalic Entertainment (From the makers of such games as The Whispered World, The Night of the Rabbit, Edna & Harvey, Anna's Quest, Deponia series and many more)

pe9__full.jpg

Guard Duty / Sick Chicken Studios - Estimated Release Date: 2018

gd3__full.jpg
ss_4e4ac542442c84a6d32030d6813d48f108377395.1920x1080.jpg

Lorelai - Harvester Games (18+) (From the makers of such games as The Cat Lady and Downfall) The final game in Harvester Games' "Devil Came Through Here" horror adventure trilogy

l1__full.jpg

Kinky Island - Screen 7 (16+)

image5__full.jpg

Asylum - Senscape (From the makers of games such as Scratches and Serena) Estimated release date: Sep. 2018

asylum_snap07__full.jpg

The Poisoned Pawn: A Tex Murphy Adventure - Fan remake of Overseer turned "Act One of the Final Chapter" / Estimated release date : Early 2018

DRqnXOrUEAA16cW.jpg

The Council / Big Bad Wolf - Episode 1-3 out now! (Out of 5)

The-Council_12-20-17.jpg

The Last Crown: Blackenrock - Darkling Room (From the makers of such games as Dark Fall: Lost Souls and the Last Crown series)

screen12__full.jpg

Adventure: Welcome to the Genre - Akril15 (From the makers of such games as Adventure: The Inside Job and Adventure: All in the Game) / OUT NOW!

sOGc4B1.png

Trüberbrook - btf / Estimated release date: Late 2018

truberbrook_bushaltestelle_pre_alpha__full.jpg

Unforeseen Incidents - Backwoods Entertainment / OUT NOW!

UnforeseenIncidents_10-1024x576.jpg
unforeseenincidents_19.jpg

Lancelot's Hangover "Monkey Island meets Monty Python's Holy Grail" / OUT NOW!

lancelot_hangover_ville__full.jpg

Mage's Initiation - Himalaya Studios (From the makers of such games as Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine) / Estimated release date: 2018

picture1-large.jpg

Splittown - Super God / Estimated release date: 2018

screenshot-01-1024x576.png
DJh2N37UQAEBCa0.jpg:large

Drawn Down - Studio Hazy / Estimated release date: Sep. 2018

DH7Ka4eXkAM4EAA.jpg:large

Lona: Realm of Colors - Space Fox Studio / Estimated release date: Aug. 2018

GAMELEVELS.jpg

A Night At Camp Ravenwood - Estimated release date: 2018

CtIv8lxXgAAGWBe.jpg

Rainswept - Frostwood Interactive / Estimated release date: Pushed back to Jan 2019 (If you want to support: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rainswept-a-murder-mystery-adventure-game-pc-software#/)

rs10__full.jpg

Blacksad - Co-Developed by Pendulo Studios and Ys Interactive / Estimated release date: Pushed back to 2019

blacksad.jpeg

Strangeland - Wormwood Studios / Estimated release date: 2018

5.png

and many many more! It's going to be a great year and am happy to share it with you all. Will keep adding periodically so keep watching!

Last edited:

TripleSun

It's not glorious like the previous years that people have done (thread) but needed to get the ball rolling! 2018 is looking great with all the Adventure Game Studio games and such coming.

TripleSun

Finished the beginnings of the thread, will add more tomorrow. Time to sleep (what it's 7:30am zzz)

Will make the images smaller when I wake up as I'll need to make room for more

I like the look of all of these!

Due to my drawing skills, the one I'm working on currently looks like an episode of South Park...

RAIDEN1

Shame there won't be any LucasArts re-masters this year like the years previously a Monkey Island 3 HD version or a version on GOG would be MORE than welcome, maybe even a HD version of Loom? But that is out of the question....

Really hoping Jacob Janerka's (Paradigm) Seinfeld point and click game comes out this year. Totally wishful thinking though since it's barely at the demo stage.

TripleSun

Paradigm is super underrated! The art style is simply amazing. Gonna be watching this guy from now on for sure. That Seinfeld game is actually a thing? Wow lol

Also, anyone know how to do the collapsing image thing I see on threads here? Where images are medium size but when you click on them, they enlarge? I wanna do that so I can include more games in my first post but not clog up the first page as much. Super new to doing threads lol

TripleSun

If you all find a 2018 release PnC that you'd like added to the list, just let me know. I'm trying to find all I can besides the ones listed

[edit] Added a lot of other games today to the OP. Hope you all enjoy!

e0n

A kickstarter game callled Lona: Realm of Colors is also expected to release in 2018.

Paradigm is super underrated! The art style is simply amazing. Gonna be watching this guy from now on for sure. That Seinfeld game is actually a thing? Wow lol

Also, anyone know how to do the collapsing image thing I see on threads here? Where images are medium size but when you click on them, they enlarge? I wanna do that so I can include more games in my first post but not clog up the first page as much. Super new to doing threads lol

I Thought the Seinfeld thing was just a mock up

TripleSun

People been doing those mock PnC game screenshots for various games so I never took them seriously but I always beg them to actually do them lol

@e0n thanks for the info! Added

If anyone is interested, this UK book store is doing this P&C art/interview book and releasing it worldwide! I put myself on the email list so hopefully I'll know more soon. Don't think I've been this excited for a book for quite a while.

DQReFMYW4AAdloU.jpg

https://twitter.com/bitmap_books/status/937978694433460224

stranno

Not a 2018 game but a game finally playable in 2018 (unless you know Japanese): Irozuki Tingle no Koi no Balloon Trip.

It has been recently translated into English. A great parody of The Wizard of Oz with Zelda's Tingle as main character.

Of course its a NDS game but Desmume or melonDS can do the job.

TripleSun

Looking forward to that PnC book from Bitmap. I'm going to order a 2nd tier if they offer artwork cards like their Neo Geo book.

Also Beneath a Steel Sky is good, made even more gooder (IMO) with this music enhancement-
https://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/con...-a-steel-sky-enhanced-soundtrack-for-scummvm/

Wow, this'll be great for when I get around to actually starting this. Thanks!

[edit] Added another game to the list. One I've been waiting a long time for, hopefully it's coming soon!

Last edited:

TripleSun

March 13th is the release of King ART's The Raven remaster. Really surprised as that game isn't but a few years old. Seems some people didn't like it, but I felt some charm in it and enjoyed it for what it was

[edit] Added another game to the OP list

Last edited:

Tizoc

March 13th is the release of King ART's The Raven remaster. Really surprised as that game isn't but a few years old. Seems some people didn't like it, but I felt some charm in it and enjoyed it for what it was

[edit] Added another game to the OP list
Yo what. Do old owners of the game get a discount? Wouldn't mind replaying it via the remaster.

TripleSun

Last edited:
I'm currently playing the Gabriel Knight remaster. It feels a bit easy because the puzzles were really ingrained from my previous play throughs. They could've added a new puzzle or 2 every day to keep things fresh. Other than that, the story has held up really well other than Gabriel being a pre-Tinder sleazy pick up artist wannabe.

Tizoc

I'm currently playing the Gabriel Knight remaster. It feels a bit easy because the puzzles were really ingrained from my previous play throughs. They could've added a new puzzle or 2 every day to keep things fresh. Other than that, the story has held up really well other than Gabriel being a pre-Tinder sleazy pick up artist wannabe.
IMO the original game is better thanks in part to the voice acting. The new voice actors just kinda ruin it for me sadly. Plus I don't really like the 3D Models in the remake much.

TripleSun

Nice add of the 3 Minutes trailer. Saw it yesterday. Looks like it won't be out until next year but I'm loving the graphics. Hope the KS goes well

Also looks like Unforseen Incidents which originally had a Feb. 1st release date was pushed back to "Spring 2018" for new animations and other bug fixes. Really want to play it but admire their want to have it be perfect before release

http://cliqist.com/2018/01/18/unforeseen-incidents-gets-foreseen-delay-polish/

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Questions.

- I just finished Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. Really good detective game, even considering its shortcomings and design flaws. Years ago I also played The Awakened (I'm a sucker for both detective stories and Cthulhu mythos). Is The Devil's Daughter any good? I don't like the characters redesign and the new voices, tbh. also, is The Testament worth a playthrough?
I might add, I always thought that those Holmes games were subpar (for no reason - don't ask me why), and you can see the low budget problems here and there.

- The Pillars of the Earth: Are those games any good? They have a nice art style, don't know the books.

Edit: Oooooh boy, I just saw a video of TPotE. Has that cheap "animated with flash" feeling that's a huge turnoff for me. Art style is really good, toh. :\

Last edited:

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
Wonderful thread.

Unfortunately, these games never seem to make any sense to me but I'm going to subscribe anyway just incase something catches my attention.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Questions.

- I just finished Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. Really good detective game, even considering its shortcomings and design flaws. Years ago I also played The Awakened (I'm a sucker for both detective stories and Cthulhu mythos). Is The Devil's Daughter any good? I don't like the characters redesign and the new voices, tbh. also, is The Testament worth a playthrough?
I might add, I always thought that those Holmes games were subpar (for no reason - don't ask me why), and you can see the low budget problems here and there.

- The Pillars of the Earth: Are those games any good? They have a nice art style, don't know the books.

Edit: Oooooh boy, I just saw a video of TPotE. Has that cheap "animated with flash" feeling that's a huge turnoff for me. Art style is really good, toh. :\

I've played all three of these (with my wife; most of my adventure gaming is with her, as it's a genre we can enjoy together and discuss).

Crimes and Punishments was my favorite by a significant margin, as it introduced some excellent new ideas (particularly the bit where you scan a suspect / person for details) and offered the most polished experience. I'd consider this game, despite some minor issues, to be the pinnacle of Frogware's Sherlock work.

Testament is worth playing, but often feels much more like an odd budget-priced game, sometimes having sequences that are little more than filler and fetching items; I recall that one section just bored us for several nights. That being said, it contains some interesting narrative developments and quite a few decent puzzles as I recall (more "direct" puzzles than Crimes & Punishments, where it all tended to be situational). It also has a very unusual twist at the end which is worth reaching, because it takes a brave step by adding something entirely new to the Sherlock mythos which has no correlate in the original stories.

...and in The Devil's Daughter, they take and expand upon that story thread left dangling in Testament (oddly, it made no appearance in C&P even though that intervened between these); so if you don't play the earlier game, you'll be very confused as to the presence of a certain character that is decidedly non-canon. My problems with The Devil's Daughter closely mirror your concerns: the changes to the characters are decidedly not my taste. Sherlock now looks like John Hamm, and Watson looks like a cross between Jude Law and someone else. The voices have changed as well, which is fine in the case of Watson, but if you're like me you'll quickly miss the old Sherlock actor who had a much more intellectual and even slyly sarcastic way of speaking, whereas this new actor takes everything rather sincerely and straight. It's strange that they changed the characters so dramatically while directly continuing the story innovation from the end of Testament.

The game is beautiful at times, and you can freely roam large areas of London; some cases drag on, while others are at times rather exciting. Unfortunately, while they retained most of the investigation elements from the prior game (scanning persons, etc), there is a new emphasis on action sequences that are generally unnecessary. Overall, it was a cinematic experience with some great moments, but didn't come together well as a detective / adventure game and was generally a disappointment for me after Crimes & Punishments. But still worth playing, particularly given the lack of anything comparable on the market. It feels like they wanted to make something other than a Sherlock game... and in fact they are now making a historical mystery game now (with a similar feel but new characters) and putting their Sherlock license on hold, so I guess that confirms it.

RAIDEN1

Any fans here of the classic 1992 outing: KGB? Recently saw an upload of it on youtube, briefly, the Amiga version sounds a lot better compared to the PC version....

TripleSun

Good to see people still here! About a week ago I received the update on the Bitmap Books PnC interview book. Pre-orders will begin 04/02 at 7am BST (British Standard Time) which I think is 2am EST. They ship internationally. There will be a special collectors edition that will only last during preorder time. Here is the excerpt "For the Collector's Edition, the book will come housed within a DOS-style card box. The outer of the box features artwork by Paul Conway (The Darkside Detective). Inside is the book and a: Dial-A-Interview Code Wheel, USB Floppy Disk containing a PDF of the book, Grog Plastic Beer Coaster and a Magnetic Talkie Game. The whole box is then shrink wrapped. The Collector’s Edition is priced at £49.99 (Approx USD$70) and is strictly limited to the pre-order period which ends as soon as the book is released in the late summer." Standard Edition will be £29.99 (Approx USD$42). 460 pages long (Wow!) Printed on high quality silk paper so the images "pop". Will be "hardback with fabric bookmark ribbons and a silver metallic logo on the cover."

I am pre-ordering the Standard Edition as soon as it goes on sale. That is a thick book. Interviews, nostalgia artwork and much more. Seriously can't wait.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Has anyone played Chuchel yet, the recently-released latest game from Amanita Design?

http://amanita-design.net/games/chuchel.html

My wife & I adore their prior games -- particularly Machinarium and above all Samorost 3, which has easily the most beautiful area & sound design out the point & click games we've played from all eras. This one looks a bit different, however, and the humor-based tone is putting me off a bit from an early purchase.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Good to see people still here! About a week ago I received the update on the Bitmap Books PnC interview book. Pre-orders will begin 04/02 at 7am BST (British Standard Time) which I think is 2am EST. They ship internationally. There will be a special collectors edition that will only last during preorder time. Here is the excerpt "For the Collector's Edition, the book will come housed within a DOS-style card box. The outer of the box features artwork by Paul Conway (The Darkside Detective). Inside is the book and a: Dial-A-Interview Code Wheel, USB Floppy Disk containing a PDF of the book, Grog Plastic Beer Coaster and a Magnetic Talkie Game. The whole box is then shrink wrapped. The Collector’s Edition is priced at £49.99 (Approx USD$70) and is strictly limited to the pre-order period which ends as soon as the book is released in the late summer." Standard Edition will be £29.99 (Approx USD$42). 460 pages long (Wow!) Printed on high quality silk paper so the images "pop". Will be "hardback with fabric bookmark ribbons and a silver metallic logo on the cover."

I am pre-ordering the Standard Edition as soon as it goes on sale. That is a thick book. Interviews, nostalgia artwork and much more. Seriously can't wait.

Yeah I'm gonna buy it as soon as it's out. I already have the C=64 and Amiga books and they're great. Price is a little steep for the special edition, toh...

TripleSun

Yeah I'm gonna buy it as soon as it's out. I already have the C=64 and Amiga books and they're great. Price is a little steep for the special edition, toh...

Yeah, I love what they're doing but when you convert it to USD it's a tad too high for my liking, considering shipping fees too.. SE is nice too. They made it a lot bigger than I was thinking. It sounds like a living room table tome.

This will be my first book from them, but quality seems top notch. Good to hear you enjoy their stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom