• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

Here's one for GAF to check out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/678002393/dark-asylum-0

A horror point and click which features this kind of content from Alex Govia

7db478824ddf3754b887d173b20dce08_large.jpg

Hoping to interview the guys behind it soon.

wazoo

I bought Mata Hari during the sales of Steam. Pretty nice point and click with original settings (french 1920s) - female point of view.

What is always interesting is to know that the game is produced and lead by Hal Barwood who made that little second rate point and click game called Indy4.

After MataHari, he also made black Mirror 2 and 3.

Tizoc

I bought Mata Hari during the sales of Steam. Pretty nice point and click with original settings (french 1920s) - female point of view.

What is always interesting is to know that the game is produced and lead by Hal Barwood who made that little second rate point and click game called Indy4.

After MataHari, he also made black Mirror 2 and 3.

Will look into that later thanks.
Oh and the Dark Eye is %50 off via GMG:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/dark-eye-chains-satinav/

epmode

Will look into that later thanks.
Oh and the Dark Eye is %50 off via GMG:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/dark-eye-chains-satinav/

That's weird, I don't see a way to purchase that. There seems to be two pages for this game:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/dark-eye-chains-of-satinav/

The one that I can actually buy is not Steamworks and isn't on sale.

Finished Space Quest I (VGA remake) last night. Ironically it was the last game in the series I had not completed yet, due to getting stuck playing it as a kid, and then losing my save when I tried it again a few years ago.

Needless to say, it's a great game and it has cemented the series as my favorite of the genre. SpaceVenture cannot get to my computer soon enough.

I originally posted this in the Steam thread and figured I'd put it here also in case no one saw it before.

I was browsing the registry and noticed that A New Beginning was added, which is an adventure game by Daedalic (The Whispered World, Deponia). It's supposed to be one of their better ones and I remember when it was released it got some crap because it apparently "preaches" about global warming. Anyway, it's just as nice looking as their other games also. Once this is out then almost their entire catalog will be on Steam.

Does anyone play adventure games on an android device?

I'm getting a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I'm pretty excited about the idea of playing ScummVM games on it.

really a damn shame that these Daedalic games are being held down by voice acting/translation issues, or else they could become some true classics!

epmode

Yeah, these European developers really need to spend more on localization. A lot more. I skip non-English adventure games by default now until I hear otherwise.

Tizoc

Finished Space Quest I (VGA remake) last night. Ironically it was the last game in the series I had not completed yet, due to getting stuck playing it as a kid, and then losing my save when I tried it again a few years ago.

Needless to say, it's a great game and it has cemented the series as my favorite of the genre. SpaceVenture cannot get to my computer soon enough.

Is Space Quest I VGA available on Steam, as in is it among the SQ collection on Steam?

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone played Cognition ep1? Wondering how that turned out before I take the plunge for the season pass.

Anyone looking forward to Primordia tomorrow from the makers of Gemini Rue, Blackwell, and Resonance? Pretty excited myself, I have to work 12 hours tomorrow, but it will be great to relax after work and play it.

Fjordson

Anyone looking forward to Primordia tomorrow from the makers of Gemini Rue, Blackwell, and Resonance? Pretty excited myself, I have to work 12 hours tomorrow, but it will be great to relax after work and play it.
I'm definitely excited. Have to work today as well, but I'll be playing it tonight. The few gameplay clips I've seen from the demo made it look really neat.

Bebpo

Banned
There's always the demo you could try?

As usual I've heard really polarising opinions about it!

Tried the demo. Interface feels really slow and clumsy and waiting for 3d animations is rather plodding. Coming off the Primordia demo it definitely seems rough. Will skip for now.

Fjordson

What do you guys usually use for games like Primordia (that use Adventure Game Studio) as far as graphics settings? DirectDraw or Direct3D? Might have to mess around with the filters or something, both of them just look a little off to me.

I remember liking how Gemini Rue looked so I'm trying to remember what settings I used there.

What do you guys usually use for games like Primordia (that use Adventure Game Studio) as far as graphics settings? DirectDraw or Direct3D? Might have to mess around with the filters or something, both of them just look a little off to me.

I remember liking how Gemini Rue looked so I'm trying to remember what settings I used there.

I never paid attention honestly, but there is already a thread up for the game. So I will be posting my impressions there. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486847

Tizoc

So I was checking my PC game disc collection to take a photo of my PnC games when I come upon a soul crushing discovery; my disc copy of The Dig is missing!
Gonna mail my brother and ask if he accidentally took it with him, but man...I feel down GAF...

epmode

I use the default settings and change the filter to 4x nearest neighbor. 1280x800 is a perfect multiple of my screen so I get giant, razor-sharp pixels and no borders. Good times.

Use Direct Draw. For me, working in AGS, Direct 3D can be glitchy still.

How's Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual?
It's going for $5 on Steam.

Decent story and exploration, puzzles are okay, not very long. I think it took me 2-3 hours to finish. I'd say play it if there aren't any better adventure games to play.

Tizoc

^No prabola mate.
So for anyone whose played Critter Chronicles- What's your impressions of it? Is it a good successor to the first game?

Anyone played Cognition ep1? Wondering how that turned out before I take the plunge for the season pass.

Eh, I wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be with it. Voice acting was quite bad, to the point of distraction at times. Some bugs and lack of polish as well. Play the demo before you take the plunge.

People should look into Lost Chronicles of Zezura. I'm really loving it. Amazon has it.

Zaph

^No prabola mate.
So for anyone whose played Critter Chronicles- What's your impressions of it? Is it a good successor to the first game?
I'm really curious about it too. Loved the first game but they've based the sequel on the worst character from it.

I've been playing some Gemini Rue (boy the second chapter sure is slow) in Windows 7.
Besides having decent art and great atmosphere, the engine used is horrible! Often there are characters and objects that appear in front of my character when they should appear behind him. The resolution is also terrible, Monkey Island on Amiga looks like it is a generation ahead. And there is this strange 'blur' filter on my character when he moves closer to the screen, mostly just looking like a badly resized and compressed JPG.

Such a shame.. :/

Fjordson

Yeah, you have to mess around with the settings a bit since they're a little messy by default, but I'm with xtrasauce. The art direction is always enjoyable I think.

I think they look pretty nice when played in windowed mode.

Yeah, you have to mess around with the settings a bit since they're a little messy by default, but I'm with xtrasauce. The art direction is always enjoyable I think.

I think they look pretty nice when played in windowed mode.

Yeah, most of the problems stem from the limitations of Adventure Game Studio in that it doesn't rescale sprites depending on where they sit on the screen. I remember Resonance having a couple of issues whereby distant sprites were vasoline-tastic.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Yeah, most of the problems stem from the limitations of Adventure Game Studio in that it doesn't rescale sprites depending on where they sit on the screen. I remember Resonance having a couple of issues whereby distant sprites were vasoline-tastic.

I'm pretty sure there's an option in the set up that lets you disable the filter on scaled sprites but I forget what it's called. The AGS setup file is in a different executable file.

Also if AGS games look funky, remember that it doesn't support widescreen, all games are 4:3. There's an option to "fix" this on widescreen monitors by pillarboxing it, but if you set your monitor to automatically pillarbox 4:3 content, it will squish it any further.

Typically these games run at 320x200, so it's definitely no worse than the Amiga. AGS is a fantastic program but since it's so old (it has roots in the late 90s I believe) there's a lot of modern stuff it doesn't support. And while the developer has been awesome enough to let people use it for free even for commerical purposes, he still hasn't released the source code AFAIK.

MBison

What are you doing to mess with the Primordia graphic settings and filters? In your vid card settings? Educate me please :)

Tizoc

Heads up guys-
dirtywhirlwind said:
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles is only $11.20 at Greenmangaming with the code GMG30-DEC01-ARFC9 (code expires sometime on Friday I believe).
This offer'll end in a couple of hours.
I would appreciate impressions about Critter Chronicles so I can decide on getting it or wait for a future sale >_<.

Has anyone played the Longest Journey? I can't remember if I got it on Steam or gog, but the screens of it on gog are tempting...

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Has anyone played the Longest Journey? I can't remember if I got it on Steam or gog, but the screens of it on gog are tempting...

It's wordy but the writing is excellent, a really cool mixture of fantasy and sci-fi. I'm generally not a fan of the 3D-characters-on-2D-CG-background look but this one is better than most. Some bullshit puzzles especially near the beginning, but it's to be expected.

I'm one of the few that kinda prefers Dreamfall, its followup, but you should definitely play The Longest Journey first.

Zaph

It's wordy but the writing is excellent, a really cool mixture of fantasy and sci-fi. I'm generally not a fan of the 3D-characters-on-2D-CG-background look but this one is better than most. Some bullshit puzzles especially near the beginning, but it's to be expected.

I'm one of the few that kinda prefers Dreamfall, its followup, but you should definitely play The Longest Journey first.
Brofist.gif. Dreamfall is the superior game. Cannot wait for Chapters.

robotnik

Longest Journey and Dreamfall are region locked for me :(

Roubjon

Any of you guys have any tips on running the Longest Journey? The game has no option for resolution so I'm either forced to play it in a baby sized window or manually lower the resolution of my screen. Also the only way for the game to run those pre-rendered CG scenes is if I run some random video in the background so the codecs properly run. Anyone else have this problem?

I really like the game and characters so far, but jumping over these hurdles whenever I want to play the game makes it a pain in the arse. Then again, it's easier than running old games on floppy disks...

Top Bottom