• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

epmode

It's hard to believe that's a free game. It's the best Quest for Glory since Quest for Glory. There haven't been very many, but still!

I have the same worries. They did find an interesting look, though, gotta give them props for that.

I was rather surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response on GAF, however.

I think very few of them actually thought about what kind of game it really was. Most seemed to be thinking "nice graphics, nice animations, I'm down".

But the developers are insisting on twitter that it is an adventure game, so while I'm far from convinced yet, they are free to prove me wrong.

inm8num2

Double post but DotT Remastered announced!

DoTT

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

7418394f_larry-david.gif

epmode

Double post but DotT Remastered announced!

I'm a lot more concerned about this than Grim Fandango. GF's 3D models and pre-rendered backgrounds are relatively easy to update but DOTT is all pixel art and great cartoon animation.

So long as we get the original version as well, go for it.

I wonder if this is the version that Lucasarts was working on.

inm8num2

I'm a lot more concerned about this than Grim Fandango. GF's 3D models and pre-rendered backgrounds are relatively easy to update but DOTT is all pixel art and great cartoon animation.

So long as we get the original version as well, go for it.

I wonder if this is the version that Lucasarts was working on.

I'd bet it is, or at the very least DF probably has access to the art and assets done for canceled remake.

zorbsie

The Blackwell Bundle (Episode 1 -4) is on sale on gog for $2.99. That price is super cheap, but is this a good bundle?

Also, I'm blown away at the DotT remake news. Crazy.

Mr_Zombie

The Blackwell Bundle (Episode 1 -4) is on sale on gog for $2.99. That price is super cheap, but is this a good bundle?

Yes, yes it is. Blackwell games are really, really good.
(well, the first one is kind of simple, but with each game they are getting better and better - in graphics, interface, puzzles and story).

epmode

Blackwell is the best adventure series of the last decade. There's not much competition though.

FYI, Mr_Zombie's right. They're shaky at the start. You should still play each one since there's actually a story arc and the characters change over time.

It was surreal being intensely disappointed by the King's Quest trailer, then check the Game Awards GAF thread and read the effusive praise.

But yeah, even the cel-shaded graphics, a style I am a big proponent of, seemed mediocre.

inm8num2

It was surreal being intensely disappointed by the King's Quest trailer, then check the Game Awards GAF thread and read the effusive praise.

But yeah, even the cel-shaded graphics, a style I am a big proponent of, seemed mediocre.

What's kind of funny to me is people reading this tweet:

@BeMoreMark @TheOddGentlemen It has the essence of point a click with new feeling, more details soon but totally an adventure game

and taking it at face value. That reads to me like PR spin.

It's fine if this new KQ isn't strictly an adventure game, and I don't doubt there will be some adventure elements and puzzles, but even with low expectations the trailer just fell flat.

starsky

I'm totally not hyped for the new King's Quest.
I hope the game is reviewed well but from all the series, I finished all of them except King's Quest 8, so yeah.

The problem with "The essence of point and click" is that very very few developers actually understands what that means. Most seem to think that it's to include a few "item on item" puzzles that more or less solves themselves, and that's it.

Also, DotT didn't really need a remaster... especially considering how bad the Monkey Island remasters were.

What it needs is attention. It's to good of a game that just collect dust in Disneys basement. No matter how good or bad a remaster it will be, it's good that it gets to see the light again, and becomes available for purchase.

With DF doing it now, I think the only chance of it being done in the Monkey Island style SE, is if DF continues on the SE that LucasArts was working on. If they start from scratch, it will most likely be very discreet changes to it.

inm8num2

I backed Tesla Effect on Kickstarter and finally started the game this weekend. So far so good - only played Day One thus far. Really like the overall production value on the FMV. Can't really comment on puzzles since there aren't really any in the first day. I have a feeling I'm going to really love this game.

It depresses me that sales were apparently slow enough to justify Tesla Effect being in the bottom tier of a Humble Bundle.

Yeah, sounds like bullshit.

Also, DotT didn't really need a remaster... especially considering how bad the Monkey Island remasters were.

They weren't that bad. For somebody who has completed the first two Monkey Island games about a dozen times each, the new graphical style ( and even the voice-overs ) was a nice change.

I still recommend everybody to experience it in its original state first, though.

Knurek

Just the first one, Le Chuck's Revenge was golden.
Wonder whether Double Fine will use the 90% complete build LucasArts Hong Kong had for DotT remaster or will they start from scratch...

Just the first one, Le Chuck's Revenge was golden.

I dunno, still felt off to me tonally. Kinda wish they just used the hi-res versions of Steve Purcell's original art and made more detailed versions of the original sprites.

The voice work also didn't work at all for me in the special editions, but that's obviously not an issue with DOTT.

TripleSun

Pretty excited to see Grim Fandango Remaster in January. Never played the original but I've heard all the love for the game so I can't wait! Plus I guess I'll also have the chance to play Day of the Tentacle for the first time. By the way is it a sequel to Maniac Mansion? Never played that either.

Exodist

Whether you thought the Monkey Island remakes were bad or not (the first one was okay, second was great), you still got an option to switch right back to the original game, and I'd be surprised if they didn't offer that here. That alone meant the remasters were great because they gave you choice and got the game out onto new systems and new audiences. Same will hopefully happen here.

epmode

Whether you thought the Monkey Island remakes were bad or not (the first one was okay, second was great), you still got an option to switch right back to the original game, and I'd be surprised if they didn't offer that here.

That worked out pretty well for the first game but the second had some crazy interactive music system that wasn't fully implemented in the remake. Also, neither remake supports the lovely MT-32 soundbank.

So what I'm saying is that there's a decent chance that we won't have the definitive version of the original without actually owning the original release.

Yup, no roland, no imuse. Plus the first had fairly different art on the EGA version which you don't get from the SOMI:SE, a changing sun at the habour and the stump joke.

That's why people are still harping on GOG to release the EGA version of SOMI.

inm8num2

I'm on Day 8 of Tesla Effect. Wow. This game is pretty fucking great. I got a little annoyed with some of the hidden object hunting in Sesen (that damn hook), but overall this is more than a worthy successor to the previous games.

I have yet to play many adventures released this year (Blackwell Epiphany, Ether One, Valiant Hearts, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, A Golden Wake), but Tesla Effect feels like it's one of the best of the year.

epmode

Things I don't like about Tesla Effect:

• Those hamfisted flashbacks to earlier games
  • Character sprites are no longer visible in the game world
  • You often have no idea what Tex will actually say since the dialogue notes are too clever for their own good (earlier games had the same problem)
Otherwise, they did a great job making an honest-to-god Tex Murphy game. I still can't believe that it actually exists.

You should play Blackwell Epiphany, BTW.

inm8num2

I agree the flashbacks slowed down the pace of the game, but fortunately they seem to be infrequent now. I don't think I've seen a flashback since Day 5 or 6.

I kind of like the dialogue choices. Yea, it's hard to predict which attitude Tex will take in his response, but I just consider that to be part of the fun. Usually I can figure it out, but sometimes I pick what I think is the "nice" response and it's the "dick" response instead. :p

I'll get around to Blackwell Epiphany eventually. :)

epmode

I kind of like the dialogue choices. Yea, it's hard to predict which attitude Tex will take in his response, but I just consider that to be part of the fun. Usually I can figure it out, but sometimes I pick what I think is the "nice" response and it's the "dick" response instead. :p

I wouldn't mind as much if the game wasn't tracking that stuff for different endings!

Fuz

Banned
Things I don't like about Tesla Effect:

• Those hamfisted flashbacks to earlier games
  • Character sprites are no longer visible in the game world
  • You often have no idea what Tex will actually say since the dialogue notes are too clever for their own good (earlier games had the same problem)
Otherwise, they did a great job making an honest-to-god Tex Murphy game. I still can't believe that it actually exists.

You should play Blackwell Epiphany, BTW.

• Can't redefine the keybinds

I didn't knew of how the dialogues worked... that's my biggest complaint about recent bioware games. Good thing I haven't bought tesla effect. Even if the game seems to be pretty good.

wouwie

Just saw this, wonder how it runs. Sadly no demo. Don't know if I want to bite at $14.99.

I noticed that aswell. Anyone played this on PS3? I'd be interested to buy this again. I still have a boxed pc version but i would love to play this again on a big screen (assuming it translates well to a big screen). It still ranks amongst my favourite adventure games.

I'm sad that Tesla Effect did not do very well because I loved playing through it and am already starving for more. Plus I feel like the storyline was weighed down by the previous game's cliffhanger, so I really want to see a new chapter that is free of that baggage. Maybe in another 16 years :(

Bebpo

Banned
I'm sad that Tesla Effect did not do very well because I loved playing through it and am already starving for more. Plus I feel like the storyline was weighed down by the previous game's cliffhanger, so I really want to see a new chapter that is free of that baggage. Maybe in another 16 years :(

It didn't do very well?

Coop

I liked the telsa effect but I felt the last 4 or so days were really weak and kind of soured the experience for me. Sucks about the sales. I remember them mentioning about doing one more game.

Bebpo

Banned
It was in the bottom tier ($0.01 for DRM-free, $1 for Steam key) of a Humble Bundle a few weeks ago, indicating that sales were not very good or up to expectations.

Hmmm, well it made a lot of its money from kickstarter, right? Hopefully it'll still do enough to make another game.

I still haven't had a chance to play it more than an hour. Having only played UAKM as a kid and loving it, I'm on the fence whether to invest a ton of time to play Pandora & Overseer before Tesla or just play Tesla.

Hmmm, well it made a lot of its money from kickstarter, right? Hopefully it'll still do enough to make another game.

Chris Jones said in a relatively recent interview that he would not want to do crowdfunding for a future game. Basically his point was that some fans paid a lot of money (higher-tier donations) to make Tesla Effect happen, and he's not keen on asking them to do it again. At least that's what I got from his answer, I am only paraphrasing.

I think that sentiment combined with low sales for Tesla Effect... well, it's not looking great to me. That being said, I am (and forever will be) hopeful!

Bebpo

Banned
Chris Jones said in a relatively recent interview that he would not want to do crowdfunding for a future game. Basically his point was that some fans paid a lot of money (higher-tier donations) to make Tesla Effect happen, and he's not keen on asking them to do it again. At least that's what I got from his answer, I am only paraphrasing.

I think that sentiment combined with low sales for Tesla Effect... well, it's not looking great to me. That being said, I am (and forever will be) hopeful!

Is it at least a good game to end the franchise on?

And that's a nice sentiment from Jones. Seems like a good guy.

And that's a nice sentiment from Jones. Seems like a good guy.

Agreed but it's not doing me any favor! Heh, I'm going to go ahead and hope he reconsiders...

Is it at least a good game to end the franchise on?

It was pretty good but I reserve final judgement until I play through the game a second time. I chose the path I followed because I wanted some answers about old plot lines, but there is a different path I was attracted to
(literally because it involved a cute brunette)
which I look forward to experience in the future. Perhaps over the holiday break...

Card Boy

Banned
Tesla Effect was amazing but the walking bits left alot to be desired.

• Going up and down ladders looks crap
  • Graphics are bad (in particular modeling of items and static objects)
  • Non-rebindable keys
  • No pad support
  • No AA
  • No NPCs in the world like previous games unless its FMV (e.g Zack, Chelsea, Nilo and Clint where around in investigation mode)
  • Enemies looked like crap
  • No crouch

My issues with the game where purely technical. The story was classic Tex Murphy.

Top Bottom