• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

Fuz

Banned
So, I'm playing Heroine's Quest. Almost at the end.

Why is this game free? It's so damn good. There's some excellent writing and good puzzles (they're a bit on the hard side, so I guess it's not for everyone) which can be tackled in very different ways thanks to the class system. Graphically it's pretty nice, has more than decent voiceover and good musics. The story is great, it has a good cast of characters and I've found the jokes and easter eggs to my liking.
It has some weak points, sure... walking back and forth is pretty annoying, the combat is just plain bad (as expected) and it can be frustrating because you can die in it. But those points aren't enough to make the game less than extremely good.
Hope they'll release it to GOG eventually (already checked: people are already asking for it), so I can buy it there.

I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to see Pendulo come back to adventure games after that failed crowdfunding incident and the silence from them for quite a while. Runaway will always be one of my favorite PnC game series. Oh the nostalgia

http://www.gameboomers.com/forum/ub...gonew/1/Microids_Signs_a_Coproduction_#UNREAD

I haven't experienced their games that much, since Runaway 1 and 2 left really bad impressions, but I feel that they as a developer aren't that interesting. They seem to have made ok games after a rough start, but did their games actually have wortwhile stories and puzzles? Did they bring anything new to the genre?

TripleSun

Damn, it's pretty depressing listening to what brought upon the downfall of Pendulo. I'm really happy the Screen7 people are uploading some AdventureX 2014 videos and all, just watched Francisco Gonzalez's lecture about the Do's and Do Not's of adventure game writing and that was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH0icPXLYC4 (The Pendulo lecture)

Also, I guess a lot of people don't find the Runaway games fun but I don't know, maybe it's the nostalgia of them when I first played them, but I always liked the artwork and hooked onto the characters (some) and the music so I'm excited to see what Pendulo/Microid have up their sleeves.

inm8num2

Shardlight: upcoming game from A Golden Wake developers.

Due to a fatal bombing, the world has spiraled into post-apocalyptic circumstances. Resources are scarce, and strictly controlled by a corrupt government of Aristocrats. The people have been consumed by a plague that requires a vaccine to fend off; the wealthy are regularly vaccinated while the poor squalor and suffer. You follow Amy, a girl who’s never seen the world before collapse. To make ends meet, she works for Caigula – the Ministry of Energy. Her life takes a dramatic turn when she discovers a terrible secret the government is keeping, that could also be the answer to uniting the oppressed, and finding a cure to the plague.

lxrbijb-548x343.png

vipwgwc-548x343.png

Fjordson

That looks pretty great. More good stuff published by Wadjet Eye.

Also, Dave Gilbert has been posting screenshots of another game they're helping develop called Technobabylon. I believe there's been free episodes of it previously released, but they're reworking it and expanding it into a full game with a soundtrack and voice over. It looks great!

TripleSun

Been waiting for Shardlight to come to fruition or something because those short games they made before were beautiful and I loved the world and I'm glad they'll make a full game out of them.

Card Boy

Banned
Keep an eye on Steam for some Adventure goodness.

I have no mouth and i must scream - 90% off
Tex Murphy series - 85% off (except Tesla Effect)
BloodNet - 75% off
Dragonsphere - 75% off
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - 75% off
The Last Express - 70% off
Bad Mojo: Redux - 90% off
Syberia series - 75% off
Jack Orlando - 85% off
Dracula series - 75% off
Humongous Entertainment games - 75% off

The Humongous Entertainment Complete Pack has 29 games for $25, thats 86 cents a game!

Filben

After finishing first Primordia, than Blackwell Legacy and Unbound –what great games!– (both twice, with commentary) 've took a little break from Blackwell games and just finished Resonance.

I think I can surely admit that Wadjet Eye Games brought back classic point and click adventures for me. Plenty of games to go but looking forward to see more from them.

After finishing first Primordia, than Blackwell Legacy and Unbound –what great games!– (both twice, with commentary) 've took a little break from Blackwell games and just finished Resonance.

Still haven't gotten around to play Resonance that I bought in a GOG sale last year. Recommended? I'm really not that found of the low res adventures, that I think stay to close to the old formula, so I'm interested in what the absolutely best ones of those are.

The Blackwell games haven't really drawn my attention with the art style and premise, but Resonance seems a bit more promising, as does Primordia.

Filben

Recommended?
Yes. It actually adds something new to the gameplay since you don't only have items you also have character's memories you can and must interact with. It's basically the same with items (e.g. using in dialoges) but it makes you think a bit more out of the box. And while I'm not an adventure pro I haven't got big troubles. There were two or three heavy puzzles but all in all it's very logical and the "puzzle-solving-pace" is somewhat steady. The story is interesting with a shocking twist. Great game.

As for Primordia I wrote a review on howlongtobeat.com:
An awesome little game wraped up in a very classic style click and point adventure. The hero (Horatio Nullbuilt) and his humorous sidekick Crispin Horatiobuilt (you get the surnames, I reckon) is on his search for his stolen power core he needs badly for his aircraft. What begins as a simple story after a stolen item opens up fast in global and somewhat transcendental. It asks some philosophical questions without being way out of line or focus-lost. Most puzzles are logical and there are even some allowing for different solutions. The inventory keeps sorted and won't overstuffs. There are no wild and irrational item-combinations. There's just one puzzle that gets heavy on your brainpower. Crispin with his humorous remarks gets in perfect contrast with the highly focused and rational Horatio and the dense and gritty atmosphere of this game. There are some easter eggs like a trader is offering you a water chip for a G.E.C.K. The voice-acting is top-notch for an indie-game and the art-design is just beautiful. Beware of low resolution (640x480), though.

The plot thickens the further you progress and it won't loose itself within numerous sideplots distracting you from your goal. So it's rather fast paced and do favors my preferences regarding story-telling. There are different endings for the plot and those endings aren't simple button pushers (Deus Ex: HR, Far Cry 3, etc.). Some are pretty easy to achieve while others require aditional brainpower and are rather inconspicuous. So you'll probably achieve a different ending than your buddy because there are many actions you probably do instinctively causing different endings.

I honestly don't find anything I dislike on this game so I highly recommend it to any adventure-fan. The reason why I'm not giving 100% is its only available language is english and as being an adventure game it's not one I would recommend to any gamer nor do I think that every gamer should have played this title regardless of his preferences in genre.

Blackwell series emphasise the characters. While the story per se isn't that great, it is told nicely and focused on the two protagonists and great puzzles. If you know your way around adventures (like in most your hero is somewhat of a sociopath; you know what to do but you have to figure out how to make your character doing so, etc.) the puzzles are clever and fun to solve. The atmosphere of the Blackwell Unbound is great and I love the heroine. Chain smoker, the sympathic deep voice is a blessing for my ears and the 60's like jazz themed atmosphere is awesome.

Mr_Zombie

Still haven't gotten around to play Resonance that I bought in a GOG sale last year. Recommended? I'm really not that found of the low res adventures, that I think stay to close to the old formula, so I'm interested in what the absolutely best ones of those are.

The Blackwell games haven't really drawn my attention with the art style and premise, but Resonance seems a bit more promising, as does Primordia.

I found Resonance to be pretty good, but some gamers find the plot twist near the end to be weird/stupid. However, it's still a low-res classic point & click adventure game (with only new feature that you have four characters you can switch between) so if you're not fan of those, then I doubt Resonance will change your mind.

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't even mind the plot twist (though the overall plot was kind of weak in the end). Was more irratated by the lack of areas and some of the really dumb puzzles. The art's great though and it's pretty exciting for a while.

I don't hate Resonance, but was disappointed in it and find it to be one of the weaker Wadjet Eye published games.

Really need to get around to playing Primordia one of these days...

epmode

Really need to get around to playing Primordia one of these days...

Primordia's probably my favorite Wadjet Eye game that wasn't written by Dave Gilbert. I'm not sure why it had such a lukewarm reception.

The Blackwell series is pretty easily the best thing Wadjet Eye has produced. I agree that the premise sounds kind of terrible though. It's all in the execution.

As for art style, each Blackwell game had a different artist. For the most part, the other Wadjet Eye games look better but Blackwell has its moments. The third game looks great and the fifth is incredible.

starsky

I enjoy Resonance mostly because of the memory system, the four players switch and the story with the twist. There are stuff in the game that don't usually happen in most stories, so it's refreshing for me.

Old school pixel style + Chinese detective investigating serial murders? Certainly sounds cool lol

I hope they're successful with this, but I would actually prefer if they make the game from Empress Wu's side, such a great and cutthroat lady.

Tizoc

So Syberia 1 and 2 were rated for PS3 by ESRB. I think Syberia 1 was released recently so 2 isn't too far off.

Card Boy

Banned
A Golden Wake is 70% off on the Steam sale. Fuckton of PnC's are on sale. Regardless of reviews i am going to get Jurassic Park and Law and Order.

Knurek

A Golden Wake is 70% off on the Steam sale. Fuckton of PnC's are on sale. Regardless of reviews i am going to get Jurassic Park and Law and Order.

Law and Order is great, if you can get it for the cheap. Phoenix Wright without the Japanese weirdness basically.

TripleSun

I found A Golden Wake to be a fun little adventure but it obviously had flaws but for that price everyone should pick it up.

Conezays

I thought Resonance was great. Enjoyed the music, puzzles (changing between characters), and art quite a bit.

Tizoc

Though not a PnC, Talos Principle is a great Puzzle Adventure game...not that it has much Adventuring but ya know.

SO, we will a 2015 thread go up?

TripleSun

Interesting.. Animation Arts is coming out with a sci-fi adventure game. Although I really wish it was not a 4-5 hour adventure and more of a full thing. I really enjoyed Lost Horizon and the Secret Files games and have been waiting for their next game. Artwork looks nice, but space sci-fi stuff is so different then their past stuff. Regardless I'll definitely get it.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNXpSMAk0E4

I have to apologise I haven't been around and updating the 2014 thread. Everyone has been around and kept it alive. I have been able to look from my phone and post though bit PC access is harder.

Generally PC gaming has been restricted too, just haven't got the time to be on it at great lengths. I'm trying to get myself a laptop to sort that out so I can play some games whilst on the move.
I didn't even get round to buying a single steam sale title.

As for the 2015 thread, I could try and put one together but I haven't been keeping up to date on what's happening, so I may not be qualified to do the thread anymore.

Tizoc

I have to apologise I haven't been around and updating the 2014 thread. Everyone has been around and kept it alive. I have been able to look from my phone and post though bit PC access is harder.

Generally PC gaming has been restricted too, just haven't got the time to be on it at great lengths. I'm trying to get myself a laptop to sort that out so I can play some games whilst on the move.
I didn't even get round to buying a single steam sale title.

As for the 2015 thread, I could try and put one together but I haven't been keeping up to date on what's happening, so I may not be qualified to do the thread anymore.

Even if the first post won't have a list of PnC games releasing this year outside of say
Broken Age Ep. 2
Grim Fandango remastered
Day of the Tentacle remastered

Having a new thread just to discuss the genre and games is good enough IMO =)

jett

D-Member
Just wanted to recommend The Fall to anyone that doesn't have it yet, it's pretty great. It's an Another World/Adventure game hybrid.

Zaph

Interesting.. Animation Arts is coming out with a sci-fi adventure game. Although I really wish it was not a 4-5 hour adventure and more of a full thing. I really enjoyed Lost Horizon and the Secret Files games and have been waiting for their next game. Artwork looks nice, but space sci-fi stuff is so different then their past stuff. Regardless I'll definitely get it.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNXpSMAk0E4
Nice! I really like Animation Arts and love scifi adventure, can't wait to see how this ends up.

Lost Horizon 2 coming soon as well!

TripleSun

Finally got around to the Reaper and the Rebirth, those short games made by Francisco Gonzalez and Ben Chandler a while back. Now I NEED Shardlight so baaaad. Such good short stories that tie into Shardlight. Bring it on.

These are the two short games if you haven't played them, really short can probably finish both in like 30min or so combined time.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1704/

Another game I gotta give a shout-out to is All The Way Down from Calin Leafshade. Can finish fairy short like under 30min, but the atmosphere, music and voice acting are so good and eerie. Really hope to see more from her squad in the future.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1872/

minhta

Neo Member
Old school pixel style + Chinese detective investigating serial murders? Certainly sounds cool lol

So glad to hear others don't think the concept is too 'niche'. It's an incredible rich setting and hopefully we can do a good job taping in to it.

I hope they're successful with this, but I would actually prefer if they make the game from Empress Wu's side, such a great and cutthroat lady.

Thanks for the encouragement, Wu Zetian will be featured heavily in the story, but to my above point, building the game around her as a lead would have been even more 'niche'! lol...

But undoubtedly, she was indeed cutthroat, and therein lies part of the intrigue of our story.

Minh Ta
Developer of Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders

starsky

short games recommendations

Thanks for these recommendations. I've never played a short adventure game yet so far.

Thanks for the encouragement, Wu Zetian will be featured heavily in the story, but to my above point, building the game around her as a lead would have been even more 'niche'! lol...

But undoubtedly, she was indeed cutthroat, and therein lies part of the intrigue of our story.

Yes, she is one of my favourite female idols. I hope you will do her justice and your upcoming game will be successful. I'll be keeping an eye.
And welcome to GAF.

Now to 2015 thread!

Top Bottom