• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

spinz

Btw, is Anna's Quest any good? Looks charming but I'm not convinced.

yessss, get convinced :)
its very good. Iv played it for 8 hours now and i dont think im real close to the end. One of the things that stands out about it: Anna is a sweet adorable character who belongs in a children's game, and the world around her is dark and unforgiving. The game has a good sense of humor and clever story writing. Theres lots of locations and multi-tasking puzzles. The music is very good. The voice acting varies a bit, but the voice for anna is particularly good. If you like daedalic games this will fit right in.. theres a lot of daedalic related easter eggs too.
EDIT: iv played for almost 13 hours now, still not finished, and for me this is now a strong front runner for adventure of the year :)

I finally got the chance to play through Blackwell Epiphany. What a wonderful game. I found that series by accident and I'm so happy I did. There is just something about those games that makes them a joy to play.

inm8num2

Played chapters 1-4 of The Dream Machine and really enjoyed them. I liked how the puzzles become more challenging in chapters 3-4. The story is pretty interesting as well and takes some dark turns. The clay/cardboard visuals are really well done - perfect for the story. Great game!

epmode

The Dream Machine is secretly awesome. Such a lovely, unsettling game. The developer even took the time to go back and upgrade the earlier chapters with higher resolution assets.

Need to get back to Dream Machine.

Just read Gamersyde's review of Anna's Quest. Looks intriguing.
news_gamersyde_review_anna_s_quest-16821.jpg

Headed by Daedalic, this game developed by Dane Krams is well worth your time if you're a fan of the genre.

Shades of the Brothers Grimm and Andersen are clearly at work here right down to the rather Germanic names of certain characters met during the adventure.​

After kicking off with a single screen section designed to familiarize players with the game, Anna's Quest opens up into a rich, intricate graphic adventure game with sufficiently challenging, but not frustrating, set of puzzles. There are certainly points where you might get stuck but the solution is usually not far behind. Sometimes it's the right combination of items and phrases while, at other times, you'll need to tackle a situation with a certain character yet it never feels unfair. In the end, Anna's Quest pushed us to see the end of the story, which is something that's not always true with these types of games.​

Hearing that it has dark humour with quite innocent visuals reminds me of Harvey's New Eyes.

inm8num2

Yea Anna's Quest looks really good. Hell, I've never disliked a Daedalic game - I know not everyone's a fan, but they seem to have a good balance of puzzles/gameplay, visuals, occasional humor, and decent writing in their games. They're quite enjoyable overall without major flaws imo. That reminds me... I need to play Goodbye Deponia soon.

Fuz

Banned
Yea Anna's Quest looks really good. Hell, I've never disliked a Daedalic game - I know not everyone's a fan, but they seem to have a good balance of puzzles/gameplay, visuals, occasional humor, and decent writing in their games. They're quite enjoyable overall without major flaws imo. That reminds me... I need to play Goodbye Deponia soon.

Eh. Deponia is the one Daedalic game that I really, really dislike.
Rest range from decent to fantastic (I absolutely love Memoria and Night of the Rabbit).

inm8num2

Rest range from decent to fantastic (I absolutely love Memoria and Night of the Rabbit).

Yea Deponia's not for everyone, but the first two games sort of won me over.

I still need to play Memoria, too. I loved Night of the Rabbit. :)

Fuz

Banned
Yea Deponia's not for everyone, but the first two games sort of won me over.

I still need to play Memoria, too. I loved Night of the Rabbit. :)

Well then, the third deponia is the best of the lot, and I actually liked the ending. Have fun!

spinz

the stronger consensus for the not-good daedalic game: "a new beginning". I tried to play through that and it was... not good. The alcatrez one also gets negative vibes, i havnt tried that one. And i played through fire it was "just ok".
Other than that, i love everything they do. And the devils men is one of my most highly anticipated right now.

Mr_D_

Banned
hi guys,

I am from the publisher of an as yet unannounced title, thought I'd share a few screenshots on here! As espionage thriller set in an alternative post cold war future.

zWah0Bz.png

aVlg4WF.png

lskXYtQ.png

hi guys,

I am from the publisher of an as yet unannounced title, thought I'd share a few screenshots on here! As espionage thriller set in an alternative post cold war future.

zWah0Bz.png

aVlg4WF.png

lskXYtQ.png

Looks great! Is it a point and click adventure game? Looks like it would be more of a controller based action adventure?

Fuz

Banned
hi guys,

zWah0Bz.png

aVlg4WF.png

lskXYtQ.png

Looks really cool!

Anyway, just finished Anna's Quest. It's really, really good. That ending is brutal.

Terra_Ex

hi guys,

Yep, this is looking really nice and I want to know more. Reminds me a bit of Flashback and The Last Night.

Fuz

Banned
First final(ish) background from Thimbleweed Park is up:

W26X0oI.png

Looks fantastic to me, especially so in the video with the sunset:

https://vimeo.com/133706183

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the box behind the speaking text, but Ron Gilbert says in the comments it'll probably be toggle-able.

http://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/quickiepal

Love it. Really great use of colors and parallax.
And... oh god, I LOVE that SCUMM interface so, so much. It's still the best interface ever done for this kind of games.

And... oh god, I LOVE that SCUMM interface so, so much. It's still the best interface ever done for this kind of games.

Yup. The evolution into just using Use/Look is pretty much the worst thing to happen to the genre imo

You lose so much granularity for puzzles and puns

What do people think about Technobabylon and Book of Unwritten Tales 2?
Feel like playing an adventure again and I enjoyed both WadjetEye published games and the orginal BoUT before.

I personally really enjoyed BoUT2 and if you enjoyed the first one, this one is even better. Beautiful game with more fun references to pop and nerd culture with the same snarky or loveable characters (if you enjoyed these things in the first one). There's some fun puzzles and nothing overly nonsensical. A great modern PnC and I'm still really impressed with the graphics and art style for a PnC game. Voice acting and music are nice too so basically good production values all around.

epmode

I prefer Technobabylon but I wasn't much of a fan of the first BoUT. I still bought the second because I'm a masochist. The intro is definitely an improvement, if only in production value. I'll play it for real someday!

titch

Anyone looking for an IOS key for Detective Case just drop me a PM!!! - its gone!!!!

steam_description.jpg

This was from a giveaway in another thread that i took in error thinking it was a steam key so please thank F-Pina for it!!!!

RiverBed

Banned
[ The Inner World]

Thanks to you and others for the heads up. I just finished this game and enjoyed it. Wacky characters, unique world and story and I fell in love with the main character's voice acting.
As a side bonus, I now have a new favorite word: fosfos.

I also tried Anna's Quest, but I didn't feel it. The voice acting in that one gets annoying quick and I didn't like the art. It also felt like a flash game- maybe because many scenes feel 'empty' with few object and simple art work.

inm8num2

King's Quest |OT| Absence makes the franchise return stronger
King's Quest |OT| The long-awaited sequel to Mask of Eternity
King's Quest |OT| Press X to Ifnkovhgroghprm

megalowho

Enjoying playing through Contradiction a lot so far. Very high quality video and acting for what it is IMO. There's more gameplay than advertised in the trailer as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/373390/
Contradiction is awesome. There's shades of Gabriel Knight II and Tex Murphy in there, crossed with old British murder mystery shows and Phoenix Wright style catch the lie puzzles. The acting and overall tone strikes a good balance between campy and playing it straight. Compelling stuff so far that scratches that 90's FMV adventure itch.

zakujanai

How in the hell have I never stumbled across the Blackwell games before? Picked up Epiphany in a humble bundle a while back and finally got around to it this week, couldn't stop once I started.

This is the only point and click I've ever played where randomly clicking every item I own on everything on screen isn't the solution to any time I'm stuck. In fact you barely need items at all, instead having to actually investigate and logically deduce what to do. I'm in awe.

Guess it's time to go back and play the other 4, though I'm worried they may not be the same after that ending.

drotahorror

Really hope Asylum comes out this year. Seems like I've been waiting for years (I have).

I'm not a big fan of point and click adventures but their teaser blew my mind

http://www.senscape.net/asylum-teaser/

^Not actually part of the game, just a teaser to show what the game will be like and what the engine is capable of. At the time I thought the graphics were amazing, but they've since changed several things and it looks sicker than ever. They did have a kickstarter a year or so back, it made over $100,000 if I recall.

Top Bottom