• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Knurek

I am doing an interview with Tim Follin the creator and am asking him about the plans. Via email he was very positive towards trying to do a sequel but would want to improve some things. So he is looking into it depending on how it seels.

Wait, what?
Tim Follin as in the legendary computer musician?

Karak

BluWacky

Speaking of BaSS, I wonder if the sequel is going to happen after all? Revolution announced it during the BS5 kickstarter, then last year said it wasn't actually in development.

They said it wasn't in development until they finished part 2 of Broken Sword 5, which is both long finished and now available on pretty much every platform known to man. Hopefully they'll announce something at their 25th anniversary celebrations at Gamescom.

RAIDEN1

If only there was a re-release of Secret of the Monkey Island 3!! That being said the 97 original still holds up well today!

dickroach

I was about to load up the ol' ScummVM and play some Fate of Atlantis, but for whatever reason I did a quick google search and found out that Fate of Atlantis is actually included on the Wii release of the 2009 game Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. went over to Gamestop and picked up a copy for a whole two dollars.

playing this classic game on a big tv with a wiimote is pretty awesome. the compression on the voiceovers are a bit jarring, but whatever.

Q: any good point-and-click games on the Wii?

Broken Sword director's cut
Secret Files: Tunguska
Secret Files 2
Another Code: R - This was only released in Japan and Europe. But if you can play imports on you Wii I highly recommend it.

There was also some Telltale stuff released on the Wii, like Sam & Max and Back to the Future.

I was about to load up the ol' ScummVM and play some Fate of Atlantis, but for whatever reason I did a quick google search and found out that Fate of Atlantis is actually included on the Wii release of the 2009 game Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. went over to Gamestop and picked up a copy for a whole two dollars.

playing this classic game on a big tv with a wiimote is pretty awesome. the compression on the voiceovers are a bit jarring, but whatever.

Zack & Wiki

Nudull

Banned
Broken Sword director's cut
Secret Files: Tunguska
Secret Files 2
Another Code: R - This was only released in Japan and Europe. But if you can play imports on you Wii I highly recommend it.

There was also some Telltale stuff released on the Wii, like Sam & Max and Back to the Future.

I was tempted to get the Wii ports of Sam & Max Season One and BTS (surprised they got a retail release) at one point. Wonder if they were any good? Should probably check out Another Code, sometime.

Hm, I could get BS1-4 for under $20 at GOG. Well, I was going to check out the series with 5 first (it's been sitting in my Steam Library since the Humble Bundle), but... :)

5 is a big quality drop from 2 which in turn is a small quality drop from 1 (2 is as good as one but shorter). So if you start with 5 just don't let it put you off playing one and two at some point. :)

3 can be tedious as it was an experiment in 3D, while 4 (which remained in 3D) is simply an awful, awful game.

Proud owner of an OG Disc BS2 copy >=3

The BS2 SE doen't mess thing up thankfully. I still have no idea what revolution was thinking when they changed the iconic opening of BS1 in the SE.

Finished Technobabylon at the weekend, an absolute joy to play.

First game in ages that I haven't used a guide when stuck too. The advent of the internet has turned me into a wuss when it comes to adventure games.

spinz

Proud to say it is 2015 and we're on the eve of the release of a new kings quest game.
Its not something i thought id be saying. Regardless of how it turns out, it is nice to see the attention it has gotten.

GavinUK86

I just made a thread about this little gem but it'll probably get buried so, as someone suggested, I'm cross posting here.

http://motiontwin.itch.io/badass

Building on 2nd place in the 32nd Ludum Dare and made with nostalgic 30 somethings in mind, Badass Inc. is a point and click action game that will take you back.

You're a contract killer; a sleek, stylish, feline predator that trades in scalps and briefcases full of cash. Your mission: eliminate a target for Ludum-Tek in an "unconventional way".

Packing pixelart and a brooding soundtrack, Badass plunges you into a city wracked with desperation. Revel in the apathy of the protagonist as you work through situational puzzles, interspersed with cinematic action scenes and tense shootouts. It's an in and out job, take out the target and get paid, right?

5COGzgt.gif

It's short but really good and the music is fantastic!

Its looking like at least 13 more hours before it unlocks on steam.

PS4 here. Countdown indicates it unlocks at midnight EST.

I probably won't stay up to play though. Pre-load is not available and my Internet speed is mediocre...

edit: ****, just realized pre-load was available.

Dsyndrome

Anyone that held off buying Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice on GOG due to the save bug, it's fixed now. Buy away.

Need to play both this and Shadow of the Comet sometime soon, can't let them keep piling on the backlog forever.

Tizoc

Anyone that held off buying Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice on GOG due to the save bug, it's fixed now. Buy away.

Need to play both this and Shadow of the Comet sometime soon, can't let them keep piling on the backlog forever.

Someone sell me on these games, as I'm not that much into horror themed games, especially fi they are cthulhu inspired ^^;

So growing up on LucasArts adventure games, I didn't really play many adventure games from Sierra, except Gabriel Knight. The new King's Quest just looks so good that I decided that I should finally get into the series. Since, the episodic formula doesn't really work for me, (I have decided to wait until all episodes are released for Kentucky Route Zero, Dreamfall Chapters and Life is Strange because I forget a lot of things between episodes), I have decided to revisit the KQ series from the beginning. So I picked up KQ IV-VI during the Gog summer sale and downloaded the first three remakes by AGDI.

I played through King's Quest I remake last night and I was really impressed with how well done it was, especially considering it was released for free. The option to turn off dead ends is great, and although I used the walkthrough a few times, I didn't find it too frustrating. I just loaded up the King's Quest II remake, and I can already tell I am going to enjoy my time with it.

Has anyone played The Silver Lining games? I guess since they are free, I might as well give them a shot. If they are good, then I will definitely have enough King's Quest games to go through as I wait for all the episodes to be released and hopefully King's Quest will be released on Gog.

RetroMG

Has anyone played The Silver Lining games? I guess since they are free, I might as well give them a shot. If they are good, then I will definitely have enough King's Quest games to go through as I wait for all the episodes to be released and hopefully King's Quest will be released on Gog.

They're pretty good, but you have to be willing to forgive a few things. The art is probably PS1/Early PS2 era. Lots of chunky polygons. The controls are a little clunky in the "action" scenes.
The story is pretty good, if maybe a touch over dramatic, but the characters are loveable and the voice acting is great.
The major downside - they have only released four episodes of a five episode series, and episode four came out a couple years ago. Last I heard, they claimed to still be working on it, but AFAIK, there hasn't been any new news in quite a while.

If the last chapter ever comes out, though, I'll definitely play it. It seemed like a nice capstone to the series and tied all of the games (yes, even Mask of Eternity,) together nicely.

spinz

The silver lining....well.... Its a nice effort but it plays like fan fiction... and puzzles are not good. And the last episode of it still isnt out. I imagine the last episode of the new KQ will get released before the last episode of the silver lining.

RetroMG

I stand corrected. I just went to the Silver Lining site, and apparently there was an update from the end of May, saying that the last episode was playable from start to finish. Maybe it will come out this year, after all.

The silver lining....well.... Its a nice effort but it plays like fan fiction... and puzzles are not good. And the last episode of it still isnt out. I imagine the last episode of the new KQ will get released before the last episode of the silver lining.

I do agree with the bolded. It does feel like someone's KQ fanfic got made into a game. (Hence the overdramatic touch,) but I've gone far enough into it that I would like to see how it ends.

And there's the Hassan and Graham radio show, which is kind of funny.

spinz

I stand corrected. I just went to the Silver Lining site, and apparently there was an update from the end of May, saying that the last episode was playable from start to finish. Maybe it will come out this year, after all.

hmm well thats good if thats the case. I know that they handed development off to another team within their group. And it has just felt like its in limbo.

Tizoc

Well managed to get Blue & Bullets for $14ish
Gonna beat King's Quest ep. 1 in the next few days then put time into it.

Can we all take a moment to look at how this year has a great line up of Adventure-style games?
Life is Strange
Contradiction
Blues and Bullets
Anna's Quest
Supreme League of Patriots
King's Quest 2015
BoUT 2
Technobabylon
Grim Fandango Remaster
Resident Evil Remaster

Off the top of my head for now :p
They may not be the best but you gotta agree this year is great for Adventure/PnC games.

Thanks for the comments. Let's hope they both are released in a timely fashion.

Dsyndrome

Anyone remember Beavis and Butthead: Virtual Stupidity from the mid-90's?
m94gFr2.jpg

Had a blast with that game back in the day and am considering purchasing it off of EBay. I need to do some research and see if anyone's gotten it working on any modern OS's, or if it's lost to the ether forever.

spinz

Oh yeah thats a good one. The duckman game too.
I cant remember what OS i last played it on, likely XP.
Im sure its possible to get it to run now, probably use dosbox.

I was a huge fan of Beavis and Butt-Head (still am, I guess) and loved Virtual Stupidity.

Big fan of Duckman, too, but never played the adventure game. I wish GOG would get a hold of both games and fix them up for modern operating systems.

Anyone remember Beavis and Butthead: Virtual Stupidity from the mid-90's?
m94gFr2.jpg

Had a blast with that game back in the day and am considering purchasing it off of EBay. I need to do some research and see if anyone's gotten it working on any modern OS's, or if it's lost to the ether forever.

Hell yeah, I remember buying a screensaver collection that had the mini games from that included too.I got hooked on hock a loogie.

There was also BEavis & Butthead: Do U
32802-mtv-s-beavis-and-butt-head-do-u-windows-screenshot-music-rocks.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
not sure where else to ask without accidentally getting spoiled so...

is Life is Strange any good? in the mood for a nice, Summery adventure game. female led is a nice touch, too.

Top Bottom